Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robbie, Charlo, Curt 22:36 - Jan 16 with 1336 viewsTNT

Am I right in thinking they were 16, 17 and 18 years old when they started playing in our first team. Really exciting times to be watching The Swans. Great memories. Ok, it was Division Four, but fine examples of, 'If you're good enough, you're old enough.'

What are people's fondest memories of these three players?

* Robbie giving me his tie-up / muddied piece of scrappy bandage, which I pinned on the bedroom wall, I was 14 - now 57 (or bossing games in midfield throughout the leagues)

* Curt coming over to the wall at the front of The North Bank to sign my 'Swansea City' book, bought in William Street shop before a Fourth Division game in '76 (or smashing in that Leeds goal)

* Charlo putting the ball over the bar whilst standing on the opposition goal line! (or smashing in that goal at Preston)

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 23:13 - Jan 16 with 1285 viewsKilkennyjack

If my memory serves me, this Swans team scored about 100 goals - all competitions - for 2 seasons running, and got promoted just once. Mad.

The 3 players you mentioned were all very prominent and made huge contributions.
All local (ish) lads and all had star quality.

Curtis - a goal scorer with silky skills who could drift passed players like they were standing still. 35 caps.
Robbie - a tough, barrel chested midfielder with a rocket of a shot. Regular scorer. 47 caps.
Charlo - a big attacker with real ability in the air. Another natural scorer. 19 caps.

Flootlight games were always special, as was the arrival of a certain john toshack.

Not sure how we produced these high quality local players without a Cat 1 Academy .... fml
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 23:20]

Beware of the Risen People

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 23:34 - Jan 16 with 1259 viewsTNT

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 23:13 - Jan 16 by Kilkennyjack

If my memory serves me, this Swans team scored about 100 goals - all competitions - for 2 seasons running, and got promoted just once. Mad.

The 3 players you mentioned were all very prominent and made huge contributions.

Curtis - a goal scorer with silky skills who could drift passed players like they were standing still. 35 caps.
Robbie - a tough, barrel chested midfielder with a rocket of a shot. Regular scorer. 47 caps.
Charlo - a big attacker with real ability in the air. Another natural scorer. 19 caps.

Flootlight games were always special, as was the arrival of a certain john toshack.

Not sure how we produced these high quality local players without a Cat 1 Academy .... fml

Great read

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 09:22 - Jan 17 with 1081 viewsProfessor

Plus decent players in Nigel Stevenson, Chris Marustik, Dudley Lewis and Colin Pascoe soon after
Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 09:49 - Jan 17 with 1049 viewsdameedna

Wyndam.
Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 11:29 - Jan 17 with 983 viewslonglostjack

Curt having a great game at the Goldstone ground back in 81. Same season Curt and Robbie scoring the goals to beat Manure. Charlo’s storming run at the Spurs defence in the 2-2 Cup at the Vetch a few years earlier.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 11:47 - Jan 17 with 972 viewswhiterock

Kenny Samson showing Robbie the outside and Robbie obliging leaving Samson red faced
Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 12:15 - Jan 17 with 954 viewstheloneranger

I saw Robbie make his debut down the Vetch in the final match of the 1972/73 sesson, when he had just passed his 16th birthday ... A season where we were relegated to Division 4.

Who was to know that this was the day which saw the birth of a Swansea Legend. At the age of just 17 Arsenal saw enough to take Robbie on loan to have a closer look ... But within 24 hours Robbie homesick and missing his girlfriend was back home.

Not many people know but Robbie still holds the record for the youngest player to play in 100, 200 and 300 league games.

How fitting that the 3rd goal at Preston in 1981 to take us to the promised land was a Curtis, Robbie and Charlo combination, plus Robbie was top goal scorer in our first season in Division 1.

RIP ... Robbie YJB

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 12:40 - Jan 17 with 930 viewsoldcob

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 12:15 - Jan 17 by theloneranger

I saw Robbie make his debut down the Vetch in the final match of the 1972/73 sesson, when he had just passed his 16th birthday ... A season where we were relegated to Division 4.

Who was to know that this was the day which saw the birth of a Swansea Legend. At the age of just 17 Arsenal saw enough to take Robbie on loan to have a closer look ... But within 24 hours Robbie homesick and missing his girlfriend was back home.

Not many people know but Robbie still holds the record for the youngest player to play in 100, 200 and 300 league games.

How fitting that the 3rd goal at Preston in 1981 to take us to the promised land was a Curtis, Robbie and Charlo combination, plus Robbie was top goal scorer in our first season in Division 1.

RIP ... Robbie YJB

Also the youngest player to be sent off in a league game apparently.
Login to get fewer ads

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 14:35 - Jan 17 with 852 viewsswancity

Loved watching these boys play

As a 14/15 year old I was in the Centre stand bar after one game (around 1977) and delighted when Robbie James and Eddie May signed my programme which I’ve still got.

My mate from school had gone to the game with Kevin Moore our winger who lived in Three Crosses in his sporty Fiat X19. And we met the players after.

Robbie Curt and to a lesser extent Charles were awesome players and a huge part of the reason for our rise through the Leagues. Great memories none better than Preston away 1981.

It makes you wonder what they’d be worth today?

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 15:03 - Jan 17 with 827 viewssherpajacob

memories of these legends.

Charlo - My second ever game watching the swans. Grimsby at the vetch, Friday night (love Friday night games) The back row of the double decker a drab 0-0, no sign of a goal. 80 minutes Charlo rises like the rocketeer at the back post to head it in. 1-0, 2 vital points towards our promotion push

Curt - Reading in his autobiography how he shared a bed with this brother until the age of 16.

Robbie - overtaking him on the mumbles road when he was in his sponsored Skoda rapid

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 15:19 - Jan 17 with 813 viewssherpajacob

interesting Robbie Stats

He is 8th in the all time list of most league appearances (the highest Welshman) Tommy is 3rd.

He was top scorer (not Latchford) in our division one glory 6th place season.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 16:01 - Jan 17 with 774 viewsswan65split

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 12:40 - Jan 17 by oldcob

Also the youngest player to be sent off in a league game apparently.

A now deceased mate sent him off in a league game , he was chopsing too much apparently.
Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 16:02 - Jan 17 with 772 viewsswan65split

Makes you think us old ones have seen some talent over the years at lil old Swansea.......
Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 18:07 - Jan 17 with 670 viewsploppy

If memory serves, Curt broke into the first team towards the end of one season (don't remember which) and I thought he was distinctly average (worse than that probably, but I'm being kind). I don't know what he did that summer but the following season he was a revelation - beating players and scoring goals for fun.
Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 18:54 - Jan 17 with 631 viewsFlashberryjack

Was up in Woodstock near Blenheim Palace yesterday.

Whilst walking to met a few lads in a local pub, I bumped into Jeremy Charles and had a bit of a natter, he was there for Jim Smith's funeral...apparently.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 19:07 - Jan 17 with 617 viewsJacket

Kicking a ball on the streets and down Cwmdonkin Park was a far superior football apprenticeship than starting out at under 5s and all the expensive academies. Way back when the streets chimed to the sounds of children playing. Different bloody world mun!
Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 19:31 - Jan 17 with 579 viewsAnotherJohn

I know it is probably the obvious one, but I can't really think far beyond our very first game in the top division - Swansea 5 Leeds 1. Jeremy scored our first ever goal at that level, and then of course Curt chipped in with that wonder goal.

Of course, Robbie James had so many goals (and misses) down through the years. The one that sticks in my mind was a pile driver from an acute angle in front of the east terrace in one of the promotion seasons on the way up - but can't remember the opponents.

The idea of kick-abouts in Cwmdonkin Park rings a bell for me, but sadly this is ancient history now,. I also remember so many informal park games in Singleton - including one that Gary Moore joined in.
Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 20:12 - Jan 17 with 531 viewsTNT

Robbie, Charlo, Curt on 18:54 - Jan 17 by Flashberryjack

Was up in Woodstock near Blenheim Palace yesterday.

Whilst walking to met a few lads in a local pub, I bumped into Jeremy Charles and had a bit of a natter, he was there for Jim Smith's funeral...apparently.

I've watched very few live games that don't involve The Swans, but my brother got me a ticket to watch The Milk Cup Final in '86, with Robbie in QPR's team and Charlo in Oxford's team. Not sure if Jim Smith was manager then.

Hope you sang, 'Ok Charlo, now you're a Ya Ga Ya Ga'!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024