Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best high street in the UK is...... 16:50 - Jan 23 with 5943 viewsProfessor

Treorchy. The town I grew up in. Well deserved and bucking a trend of South Wales decay.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 13:35 - Jan 24 with 1683 viewsdickythorpe

Never mind all this mother Hubbard about borders and soldiers playing football!!!!!

WHERE CAN I PARK AND REFRESH MYSELF IN TREORCHY????!!!!! FFS LIKE MUMSNET ON HERE!!!!!!
Best high street in the UK is...... on 13:50 - Jan 24 with 1674 viewsLohengrin

Best high street in the UK is...... on 13:35 - Jan 24 by dickythorpe

Never mind all this mother Hubbard about borders and soldiers playing football!!!!!

WHERE CAN I PARK AND REFRESH MYSELF IN TREORCHY????!!!!! FFS LIKE MUMSNET ON HERE!!!!!!

Treorchy Rugby Club, like Max Boyce...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 14:10 - Jan 24 with 1666 viewsProfessor

Free parking by the Library and the magnificent Parc and Dare Theatre, as well as on-street parking. The Lion (on the Main Street) and the Pencelli are both good pubs. Plenty of cafes from the hipster type to traditional. Lidl for cheap beer.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 14:16 - Jan 24 with 1663 viewsProfessor

Best high street in the UK is...... on 13:50 - Jan 24 by Lohengrin

Treorchy Rugby Club, like Max Boyce...

Indeed- "Hymns and Arias" and 'Morgan the Moon" the standouts, along with a couple of Max's actually very good folk songs.

Also where I spent far too many Saturday nights at the legendary 'disco'. A more diverse and eclectic range of music I have yet to hear. Not often you got Mel and Kim 'Respectable" followed by Magazine's "Shot by Both Sides" or James Brown's "Sex Machine" followed by the Cramps "Can your pussy do the dog?", The Supremes next to 'Psycho Killer' by Talking Heads all finished off by Hawaii 5-0. Great times.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 15:10 - Jan 24 with 1636 viewslifelong

Best high street in the UK is...... on 17:29 - Jan 24 with 1597 viewsdickythorpe

Thank you Prof....I apologise for SHOUTING earlier
Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:47 - Jan 24 with 1570 viewstheloneranger

96% occupancy ... With 60% of the independent traders being female.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:50 - Jan 24 with 1567 viewsdickythorpe

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:47 - Jan 24 by theloneranger

96% occupancy ... With 60% of the independent traders being female.

She was lovely the owner of Hot Gossip cafe
Login to get fewer ads

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:56 - Jan 24 with 1563 viewstheloneranger

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:50 - Jan 24 by dickythorpe

She was lovely the owner of Hot Gossip cafe

Hot Gossip look tidy ...

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Best high street in the UK is...... on 19:37 - Jan 24 with 1542 viewstaffpunk

Too late now I guess, but park by the co-op near to the train station. As The Prof has said plenty of boozers/cafes, spoilt for choice really. It IS a nice town, but I think the new people who will travel there to see 'the best high street in the UK' will leave slightly disappointed!

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 20:10 - Jan 24 with 1520 viewsProfessor

Best high street in the UK is...... on 19:37 - Jan 24 by taffpunk

Too late now I guess, but park by the co-op near to the train station. As The Prof has said plenty of boozers/cafes, spoilt for choice really. It IS a nice town, but I think the new people who will travel there to see 'the best high street in the UK' will leave slightly disappointed!

Yes. More Royston Veysey than a tourist destination, but certainly a good community spirit and
Shops/cafes meeting local needs.

Not having been through Treorchy for a few
Years since the old dear retired to Tenerife,
I was pleasantly surprised on a recent visit.
Rhondda is not all ‘roiders’ and valley commandos
Best high street in the UK is...... on 20:24 - Jan 24 with 1509 viewsMuteswan

Best high street in the UK is...... on 09:53 - Jan 24 by dickythorpe

If I took a spin to Treorchy, where can I park for free and where can I get a good breakfast and coffee?
Plus what pub is pleasant to have an undisturbed pint whilst I read paper?
Many thanks
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 9:54]

Really nice traditional Italian cafe up towards Treherbert called The Cardiff Arms Cafe, (I know, the name goes against the grain, but I’ve known the owners,the Carpannini’s,for over 40 years and they are the nicest family you could wish to meet. Proper Italian coffee. No problem parking on the side of the road. 👍
Best high street in the UK is...... on 20:39 - Jan 24 with 1503 viewsdickythorpe

Thanks Prof, thanks Mute.
I love a good strong Italian.....coffee that is.....what about ice cream?
Best high street in the UK is...... on 22:51 - Jan 24 with 1476 viewsProfessor

Best high street in the UK is...... on 20:39 - Jan 24 by dickythorpe

Thanks Prof, thanks Mute.
I love a good strong Italian.....coffee that is.....what about ice cream?

Need to head down the valley to sub zero in Penygraig. Not quite the old Mr Creemy days,
But very good. A bit different to Joes, more dense in texture and a bit less sickly
Best high street in the UK is...... on 08:33 - Jan 25 with 1428 viewstaffpunk

Best high street in the UK is...... on 20:24 - Jan 24 by Muteswan

Really nice traditional Italian cafe up towards Treherbert called The Cardiff Arms Cafe, (I know, the name goes against the grain, but I’ve known the owners,the Carpannini’s,for over 40 years and they are the nicest family you could wish to meet. Proper Italian coffee. No problem parking on the side of the road. 👍

Closing very soon sadly.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 09:53 - Jan 25 with 1406 viewsMuteswan

Best high street in the UK is...... on 08:33 - Jan 25 by taffpunk

Closing very soon sadly.

Yes, retiring. 👍
Best high street in the UK is...... on 20:42 - Jan 27 with 1342 viewshowenjack

Best high street in the UK is...... on 13:18 - Jan 24 by Lohengrin

From the Skirrid at Llanfihangel Crucorney to Llanthony then on through to Capel-Y-Ffin, head up and over the Gospel Pass before dropping down to Hay. On a bright, clear day it’s a stunning drive.

I've drunk in the 3 tuns all they sold at the time was cider @ 7 % . I wasnt complaining . The place was run by an old biddy who must have been near her 80's.this was over 20 years ago. We were camping on the hillside behind the pub so not far to walk.
Later we camped on a field near Hay Bluff . It was getting darkThere were very bright lights in the sky moving at incredible speed . We just couldn't understand what was happening .It lasted for about 20 mins. Later on there was a very bright light in the valley below where we were camping. It rose into the air and started to move towards us . My mate thought it might have been badger baiters. Then it disappeared . The next morning when we woke up all we could see in front of us was a flat field no trees no houses nothing . Whatever it was had been airborne. Totally freaked us out .
Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:08 - Jan 27 with 1315 viewshowenjack

Best high street in the UK is...... on 13:18 - Jan 24 by Lohengrin

From the Skirrid at Llanfihangel Crucorney to Llanthony then on through to Capel-Y-Ffin, head up and over the Gospel Pass before dropping down to Hay. On a bright, clear day it’s a stunning drive.

I've done this run on a motorbike on a hot Summers day . Stopped at the abbey and it's a brilliant setting with the ruins and green fields what made it even better though was the fact that there was an underground bar there!!!
Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:18 - Jan 27 with 1312 viewshowenjack

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:08 - Jan 27 by howenjack

I've done this run on a motorbike on a hot Summers day . Stopped at the abbey and it's a brilliant setting with the ruins and green fields what made it even better though was the fact that there was an underground bar there!!!

Lohengrin being a history buff did you know Rudolph Hess used to take walks on the Skirrid Mountain ? He was kept prisoner at Maindiff court after his fruitless flight in an ME 110.
He was kept under armed guard and allowed to walk the Skirrid for exercise . Later transferred to Spandau , Berlin.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:31 - Jan 27 with 1308 viewsdickythorpe

Is "Fish called Rhondda" in Treorchy?
Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:45 - Jan 27 with 1299 viewsjack_lord

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:31 - Jan 27 by dickythorpe

Is "Fish called Rhondda" in Treorchy?

yes and another down the road in Gelli

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Best high street in the UK is...... on 07:45 - Jan 28 with 1261 viewstaffpunk

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:45 - Jan 27 by jack_lord

yes and another down the road in Gelli

Ton Pentre to be exact.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 08:24 - Jan 28 with 1236 viewsjack_lord

Best high street in the UK is...... on 07:45 - Jan 28 by taffpunk

Ton Pentre to be exact.

I never know where Gelli ends and Ton Pentre starts

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Best high street in the UK is...... on 08:41 - Jan 28 with 1233 viewsLohengrin

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:18 - Jan 27 by howenjack

Lohengrin being a history buff did you know Rudolph Hess used to take walks on the Skirrid Mountain ? He was kept prisoner at Maindiff court after his fruitless flight in an ME 110.
He was kept under armed guard and allowed to walk the Skirrid for exercise . Later transferred to Spandau , Berlin.

Yes, mate. I know, or rather I used to know, quite a bit about Hess’ time in Wales. I chose that as a school project nigh-on forty years ago after reading an account by one of his former guards in The Western Mail. I wrote to the chap and he was kind enough to write back and forth. Beside taking him for exercise up onto the Sugarloaf they would regularly take him, at his request, to walk the grounds of Llantillo Castle - the White Castle - near Abergavenny.

He wasn’t your run-of-the- mill prisoner of war, was he? There was no precedent on how to handle him. Occasionally they’d take him for a pint to The Walnut Tree Inn at Llanddewi Skirrid. It’s still there, that would be a tidy run on the bike for you when the weather’s fine.

Talking about history, you mentioned The Three Tuns at Hay, did you know that was where the great train robbers hid out in ‘63?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:49 - Jan 28 with 1157 viewshowenjack

Best high street in the UK is...... on 08:41 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

Yes, mate. I know, or rather I used to know, quite a bit about Hess’ time in Wales. I chose that as a school project nigh-on forty years ago after reading an account by one of his former guards in The Western Mail. I wrote to the chap and he was kind enough to write back and forth. Beside taking him for exercise up onto the Sugarloaf they would regularly take him, at his request, to walk the grounds of Llantillo Castle - the White Castle - near Abergavenny.

He wasn’t your run-of-the- mill prisoner of war, was he? There was no precedent on how to handle him. Occasionally they’d take him for a pint to The Walnut Tree Inn at Llanddewi Skirrid. It’s still there, that would be a tidy run on the bike for you when the weather’s fine.

Talking about history, you mentioned The Three Tuns at Hay, did you know that was where the great train robbers hid out in ‘63?

I know they hid out for a while at Leatherslade Farm not far from the robbery site and then split up leaving their dabs all over the monopoly board . Who was it out of the gang who stayed in Hay any idea ?
Another piece of history for you - During the war a London lass of French origin called Violette Szabo was approached by SOE. Her old man had copped it in north Africa by the Jerries so she decided to get her own back.
She had relatives in Wormelow and used to stay with them between missions ( also riding a motorbike round the country roads in her spare time ! ). The house is called Cantref ( just off the main street) and has been turned into a museum in her memory . I think it is open to the public on Wednesdays - not sure though, I 've never been inside but have visited the outside.
As for Violette they made a film about her in the 50's called "Carve her name with Pride".
It didn't end well for her unfortunately she was captured after a gunfight with members of the Das Reich division who were heading for Normandy. Tortured , interrogated and slung onto a concentration she was executed just before the war ended.
23 years of age , a very beautiful woman , extraordinarily brave.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024