Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve James suffers devastating loss 22:02 - Feb 10 with 3156 viewsFergal

SP James ex-Glamorgan and England opening bat, now respected journo and good egg.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sjamesjourno/status/1226818887154589697
Steve James suffers devastating loss on 22:06 - Feb 10 with 3135 viewsdickythorpe

That's awful. I'm sure this was the child that was born when he was on debut for England.

Why do shít things happen to the nicest of people?
Steve James suffers devastating loss on 22:07 - Feb 10 with 3127 viewsDarran

Dreadful. RIP.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 22:08 - Feb 10 with 3125 viewstheloneranger

There isn't anything worse than losing a child. It's the ultimate tragedy.

RIP

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 22:11 - Feb 10 with 3109 viewsbuilthjack

Awful

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 22:17 - Feb 10 with 3087 viewsSwanjaxs

When i read about things like this it strikes home why I'm an atheist.

Condolences to the family

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 22:19 - Feb 10 with 3087 viewsjackharris

So sad after what happened to Matthew Maynard and Tom. Steve James is a lovely chap who is an excellent journalist and a true Glammy Legend. Very sad news.

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 22:27 - Feb 10 with 3048 viewssainthelens

Devastating tragedy. No words could come close.
RIP.
Steve James suffers devastating loss on 23:16 - Feb 10 with 2988 viewsexhmrc1

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 22:27 - Feb 10 by sainthelens

Devastating tragedy. No words could come close.
RIP.

Steve is a lovely guy. Sad news and condolences to Steve and his family RIP.
Login to get fewer ads

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 05:51 - Feb 11 with 2882 viewsSTID2017

Terribly sad news.
RIP young lady

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 08:42 - Feb 11 with 2786 viewsCountyJim

So sad absolutely devastating RIP

Spoken to Steve in Sainsbury's in Newport a few times lovely man
Steve James suffers devastating loss on 08:56 - Feb 11 with 2771 viewsdickythorpe

His autobiography "Fatty's leg" is a very good and humourous read.
He was a good rugby player for Lydney RFC as well.
I think he had a Cambridge "Blue" in both cricket and rugby.
Steve James suffers devastating loss on 09:12 - Feb 11 with 2756 viewsWarwickHunt

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 08:56 - Feb 11 by dickythorpe

His autobiography "Fatty's leg" is a very good and humourous read.
He was a good rugby player for Lydney RFC as well.
I think he had a Cambridge "Blue" in both cricket and rugby.

Great writer who’d walk into the current England team.

Unimaginable loss.
Steve James suffers devastating loss on 09:21 - Feb 11 with 2746 viewsexhmrc1

He played rugby for Lydney and also Gloucestershire county. Jane his wife was and I believe still is Physio to Cardiff Blues. Really nice guy, Captained Glamorgan as well. Went to Monmouth school before Cambridge where he was coached by Graham Burgess former first class umpire. Scored the first triple hundred for Glamorgan in Colwyn Bay which is still the Glamorgan record. The previous record was set by Emrys Davies before the war.
Steve James suffers devastating loss on 11:26 - Feb 11 with 2678 viewstheloneranger

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 09:12 - Feb 11 by WarwickHunt

Great writer who’d walk into the current England team.

Unimaginable loss.

Never given a fair crack in Test match cricket ... brought in for one Test as an injury replacement for Butcher against SA, and facing Donald, Pollock, Kallis and Klusener and then dropped.
Then recalled for his 2nd and last Test match against Sri Lanka at the end of that summer facing Muralitharan.

As you say, would walk into this current Test team.

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 11:51 - Feb 11 with 2655 viewsWarwickHunt

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 11:26 - Feb 11 by theloneranger

Never given a fair crack in Test match cricket ... brought in for one Test as an injury replacement for Butcher against SA, and facing Donald, Pollock, Kallis and Klusener and then dropped.
Then recalled for his 2nd and last Test match against Sri Lanka at the end of that summer facing Muralitharan.

As you say, would walk into this current Test team.

See also: Maynard, M. The most naturally gifted batsman of his generation.
Steve James suffers devastating loss on 12:16 - Feb 11 with 2631 viewsexiledclaseboy

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 11:51 - Feb 11 by WarwickHunt

See also: Maynard, M. The most naturally gifted batsman of his generation.

He averaged 42 in first class cricket. An excellent batsman and the likes of him and James will always be special to those of us who were watching Glamorgan in those halcyon days. But let’s not go overboard with the hyperbole.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2020 12:58]

Poll: Tory leader

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 12:47 - Feb 11 with 2605 viewstheloneranger

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 12:16 - Feb 11 by exiledclaseboy

He averaged 42 in first class cricket. An excellent batsman and the likes of him and James will always be special to those of us who were watching Glamorgan in those halcyon days. But let’s not go overboard with the hyperbole.

Matthew Maynard had a first class batting average of 42.53, better than ...

Marcus Trescothick 41.05

Mike Atherton. 40.83

Alex Stewart. 40.06

And many more, and yes the 3 above were all very successful Test batsmen.

Edit ... Nice bit of nifty editing there ECB on Maynard's batting average 🤔
[Post edited 11 Feb 2020 14:35]

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 12:52 - Feb 11 with 2595 viewsexiledclaseboy

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 12:47 - Feb 11 by theloneranger

Matthew Maynard had a first class batting average of 42.53, better than ...

Marcus Trescothick 41.05

Mike Atherton. 40.83

Alex Stewart. 40.06

And many more, and yes the 3 above were all very successful Test batsmen.

Edit ... Nice bit of nifty editing there ECB on Maynard's batting average 🤔
[Post edited 11 Feb 2020 14:35]

I think you’ve made your own point there. The averages of the three you’ve mentioned include around 300 Test matches. Where do you think Maynard’s first class average would have been had he played, say, 50 Tests? We’ll never know of course but I’d guess at closer to 35 than 40.

Poll: Tory leader

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 13:20 - Feb 11 with 2556 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 12:52 - Feb 11 by exiledclaseboy

I think you’ve made your own point there. The averages of the three you’ve mentioned include around 300 Test matches. Where do you think Maynard’s first class average would have been had he played, say, 50 Tests? We’ll never know of course but I’d guess at closer to 35 than 40.

Hick and Ramprakash average over 50 in first class cricket but around 30 in tests.......different game.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 13:22 - Feb 11 with 2550 viewstheloneranger

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 12:52 - Feb 11 by exiledclaseboy

As you said ... Guesswork.

But ... If Maynard had played 50 Test matches then I'd "guess" he'd average around the 40+.

He had no chance with the likes of Keith Fletcher in the background and then in charge. Fletcher castigated Maynard for his liking of whisky, smoking and partying. Mike Atherton did likewise. If Viv Richards had been English he'd have been fvcked 😂

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 14:13 - Feb 11 with 2515 viewsWarwickHunt

Steve James suffers devastating loss on 12:16 - Feb 11 by exiledclaseboy

Nope, naturally gifted most definitely. Needed nurturing at test level though.

The only player I’ve ever seen give Alan Donald the charge at smack him straight back over his head for six. Viv rated Maynard very highly too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024