Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations 19:59 - Mar 20 with 1992 viewsSwanjaxs

Most of us will now have plenty of time on our hands so put your recommendations here...

Box set: Peaky Blinders

Sporting autobiography: Pushing the Boundaries: Cricket in the Eighties By Derek Pringle

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:08 - Mar 20 with 1374 viewssainthelens

Box sets for those who like The Walking Dead, try Kingdom on Netflix. Plus new season of Better call Saul.
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:16 - Mar 20 with 1360 viewsmonmouth

The original Randall and Hopkirk deceased with Annette Andre and Ken Cope in a rug. Bliss.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:36 - Mar 20 with 1341 viewsdickythorpe

Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul - box set.

Inspector Montalbano - DVDs and books.

Mark Ward - From right wing to b-wing.

Chris Lewis - Crazy

Paul Nixon - Keeping Quiet

Harpo Marx - Harpo speaks

Groucho Marx - Groucho and me
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 22:25]
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:51 - Mar 20 with 1333 viewsJack123

Breaking Bad.

The Sopranos

The Wire.

Better call Saul.

libera nos a malo

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:59 - Mar 20 with 1327 viewsWarwickHunt

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:51 - Mar 20 by Jack123

Breaking Bad.

The Sopranos

The Wire.

Better call Saul.

Can’t argue with that. I’d add -

Spiral
Braquo
The Bureau
The Killing
The Bridge
Bosch (and the books)
Hap and Leonard (and the books)
Montalbano (and the books)
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:03 - Mar 20 with 1319 viewsSwansea93

Just watched S1 of Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime, throughly reccomend.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:10 - Mar 20 with 1306 viewscmajack

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:16 - Mar 20 by monmouth

The original Randall and Hopkirk deceased with Annette Andre and Ken Cope in a rug. Bliss.

Magic, also liked The persuaders with Roger moore and Tony Curtis. Also On the buses .
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:25 - Mar 20 with 1290 viewslondonlisa2001

The West Wing.

Best box set ever. 7 seasons. 20 odd episodes each season. Will keep you going for ages.
Login to get fewer ads

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:27 - Mar 20 with 1281 viewsMuteswan

Newsroom. 👍
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:29 - Mar 20 with 1279 viewsDarran

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:16 - Mar 20 by monmouth

I watched all those last year they were on one of the Sky channels.
In one episode someone put a Ravi Shankar record on so I tweeted his daughter Anoushka and told her and she replied that it was wonderful to hear.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:40 - Mar 20 with 1264 viewsWxmJax

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:51 - Mar 20 by Jack123

Breaking Bad.

The Sopranos

The Wire.

Better call Saul.

These with Lisa's The West Wing and I'll add ER. Also bought Yes Minister/Prime Minister this week.

A free channel for anyone to watch, Smithsonian HD Channel on Sky160 or Freeview 57 has some good programmes on it.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 10:38]

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:42 - Mar 20 with 1257 viewslondonlisa2001

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:40 - Mar 20 by WxmJax

These with Lisa's The West Wing and I'll add ER. Also bought Yes Minister/Prime Minister this week.

A free channel for anyone to watch, Smithsonian HD Channel on Sky160 or Freeview 57 has some good programmes on it.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 10:38]

They’ve just put all of Spooks on IPlayer. That’s good as well, particularly the earlier series.

For light relief, Blackadder.
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 07:27 - Mar 21 with 1171 viewspencoedjack

Just watched Hunters on prime.....Highly recommend.

That said if you haven’t watched the sopranos you don’t know what you are missing.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 7:59]
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 08:18 - Mar 21 with 1134 viewsepaul

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 07:27 - Mar 21 by pencoedjack

Just watched Hunters on prime.....Highly recommend.

That said if you haven’t watched the sopranos you don’t know what you are missing.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 7:59]

Hunters brilliant w've done the first 4 will get on it today for the rest

We watched Shameless S1 E1 last night, brilliant what a reminder of how good it was, we fell asleep lol, we'll do it.....every episode............

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 08:36 - Mar 21 with 1118 viewsBest_loser

Nothing beats breaking bad

The Tudors

Versailles

As for sport, the ken burns docu series on baseball was great even if you don't like baseball , which I dont
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 09:44 - Mar 21 with 1088 viewsCountyJim

If you're a cricket fan The Test on amazon is excellent
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 09:45 - Mar 21 with 1087 viewsFergal

This Country!!!

Last one ever this coming Monday.
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 12:38 - Mar 21 with 1034 viewsWxmJax

Going to add the TV channel, Now 70's. Some great videos I've never seen on there from the, er, 70's. Punk, new wave, disco, rock, even Donny Osmond.

Freeview 78 or Sky 373 .

Watch it or just have it as background music.

Now 80's and Now 90's are also available.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 12:56 - Mar 21 with 1021 viewsSwansea93

Prision Break
Sons Of Anarchy
Power
Making A Murderer

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 17:01 - Mar 21 with 960 viewsGreatBritton

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:59 - Mar 20 by WarwickHunt

Can’t argue with that. I’d add -

Spiral
Braquo
The Bureau
The Killing
The Bridge
Bosch (and the books)
Hap and Leonard (and the books)
Montalbano (and the books)

All good, though I haven't heard of The Bureau. I'd add Killing Eve, This Country and old Scott and Bailey episodes. Spiral is special. I like Line of Duty too.
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 17:39 - Mar 21 with 935 viewsWarwickHunt

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 17:01 - Mar 21 by GreatBritton

All good, though I haven't heard of The Bureau. I'd add Killing Eve, This Country and old Scott and Bailey episodes. Spiral is special. I like Line of Duty too.

The Bureau is stupendous. French secret service and apparently based on real events. I watched it on Amazon Prime but I think you can buy the box set.

LRB review -
https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2017/july/the-bureau

Mrs. Maisel and Raylan ( based on an Elmore Leonard character) are also worth a watch on Amazon Prime.

Never got on with Killing Eve.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 17:47]
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:26 - Mar 21 with 888 viewsleighton1318

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 17:39 - Mar 21 by WarwickHunt

The Bureau is stupendous. French secret service and apparently based on real events. I watched it on Amazon Prime but I think you can buy the box set.

LRB review -
https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2017/july/the-bureau

Mrs. Maisel and Raylan ( based on an Elmore Leonard character) are also worth a watch on Amazon Prime.

Never got on with Killing Eve.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 17:47]

If this thread is now just ‘good stuff to read’ - and as we have time on our hands - why not try the whole Kingsley Amis oeuvre, starting with Lucky Jim and then That Uncertain Feeling. Slightly Swansea stuff, the latter especially. The Swansea chapter in his Memoirs is (IMO) a lovely tribute to the city.

No one will like all his works, but, boy, he was productive, talented and clever. An ambassador for Swansea.
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:02 - Mar 21 with 870 viewsFergal

Maradona film just starting on Channel 4.
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:36 - Mar 21 with 858 viewsWarwickHunt

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 20:26 - Mar 21 by leighton1318

If this thread is now just ‘good stuff to read’ - and as we have time on our hands - why not try the whole Kingsley Amis oeuvre, starting with Lucky Jim and then That Uncertain Feeling. Slightly Swansea stuff, the latter especially. The Swansea chapter in his Memoirs is (IMO) a lovely tribute to the city.

No one will like all his works, but, boy, he was productive, talented and clever. An ambassador for Swansea.

That Uncertain Feeling became the film Only Two Can Play with Peter Sellers. Filmed in Swansea.
Lucky Jim was written in Swansea and The Old Devils was set in Swansea ( inspired by his drinking mates in The Rock And Fountain, if memory serves).

His son Martin was born in Swansea. Pair of Jack bastards, innit.
Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:37 - Mar 21 with 857 viewsWarwickHunt

Box sets/sporting or non sporting autobiography recommendations on 21:02 - Mar 21 by Fergal

Maradona film just starting on Channel 4.

What’s it about?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024