Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The utter gits 12:08 - Mar 26 with 2158 viewsCatullus

A neighbours son had applied for a new job, he got it. He was sent out a contract which he signed and returned, the same day he sent in his resignation notice to his current/old employer.
They only went and rescinded the offer and his old employer having accepted his resignation say sorry but hard luck.

Whether or not they can do this legally, morally it's shocking. It raises the question, having signed and returned his contract, where does he stand legally?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The utter gits on 12:31 - Mar 26 with 2111 viewsHighjack

Had his new employer also signed the contract?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The utter gits on 14:21 - Mar 26 with 1966 viewseddie71

Do you know why they rescinded the offer? If he failed the pre-employment checks then he is toast or if he did something after that breached the contract he signed.

If he has signed a contract though that sounds unlikely, if he has accepted an unconditional offer, then they may be breach of contract in which case he could sue and should get legal advice.
The utter gits on 14:44 - Mar 26 with 1912 viewssmellyjack

If the old employer won’t furlough him that’s up to them unfortunately. I would a advise him to apply for universal credits
The utter gits on 16:05 - Mar 26 with 1789 viewsbuilthjack

Poor lad, an awful experience for him. What tw@ts.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The utter gits on 16:20 - Mar 26 with 1759 viewsjack2jack

Not related possibly, but heard on the tv this morning of a lady who was let go from her job, because of the current situation, she phoned HR and said she was willing to take the 20% reduction in salary/wages, (80% payed by the government), they agreed to reinstated her.
The utter gits on 16:36 - Mar 26 with 1723 viewsHighjack

The utter gits on 16:20 - Mar 26 by jack2jack

Not related possibly, but heard on the tv this morning of a lady who was let go from her job, because of the current situation, she phoned HR and said she was willing to take the 20% reduction in salary/wages, (80% payed by the government), they agreed to reinstated her.

These companies who are treating their staff like shyte should be named and shamed and boycotted indefinitely.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The utter gits on 16:54 - Mar 26 with 1679 viewssquarebear

A family member was working her notice when this all kicked off.

Her new employer wrote deferring her start date by five months.

Thankfully her current employer love her so have kept her on. Otherwise she'd have been in trouble.
The utter gits on 19:43 - Mar 26 with 1525 viewsCatullus

The utter gits on 14:21 - Mar 26 by eddie71

Do you know why they rescinded the offer? If he failed the pre-employment checks then he is toast or if he did something after that breached the contract he signed.

If he has signed a contract though that sounds unlikely, if he has accepted an unconditional offer, then they may be breach of contract in which case he could sue and should get legal advice.

The way I heard it, from his dad, he didn't fail anything. He signed it and returned it but heard nothing new until a few days later when the lockdown was announced. Then they emailed him rescinding the offer.

He has tried to get advice but CAB are snowed under and he can't afford legal advice, there again, can he afford not to get legal advice?

Either way it's totally schitty thing to do, he has a young family.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Login to get fewer ads

The utter gits on 19:48 - Mar 26 with 1506 viewsBest_loser

The utter gits on 19:43 - Mar 26 by Catullus

The way I heard it, from his dad, he didn't fail anything. He signed it and returned it but heard nothing new until a few days later when the lockdown was announced. Then they emailed him rescinding the offer.

He has tried to get advice but CAB are snowed under and he can't afford legal advice, there again, can he afford not to get legal advice?

Would you want to work for people like that though

Hope he soon gets a job
The utter gits on 20:36 - Mar 26 with 1432 viewsEasternJack

The devils in the detail.

If the offer was conditional and the formal reason for withdrawing the offer was (validly) against one of the conditions, then he’s stuffed.

If the offer was unconditional then he can sue for breach of contract. Get advice from the CAB

Most contracts have probationary periods baked in that have more limited notice periods. He should check the details around this in his contract as that’s likely to be the extent of any outcome.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

The utter gits on 21:20 - Mar 26 with 1382 viewsmajorraglan

That’s a terrible way to treat someone. What line of work is he in?
The utter gits on 21:24 - Mar 26 with 1375 viewsCooperman

He needs to ask his ex / current employer not to terminate his contract and agree to be placed into the furloughed category. The net financial impact to the company will be very little and it will allow him a few months of financial grace whilst this hopefully settles down.

If the employer says no to this then he should ask to speak to the HR team. It may be the case that line management are not aware of the full scope of furloughing.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The utter gits on 17:02 - Mar 27 with 1152 viewshowenjack

The consideration needed by him to validate a binding contract would be the signing of the contract . The other party has obviously too, rendered evidence of consideration by offering him the job and getting him to sign the contract . Therefore all the elements needed for a binding contract of employment are there.
Something has come to light subsequently to change the minds of the other party and this must be fundamental to the performance of the contract . eg impossibility due to a health defect ( as in football where a player fails a medical) .
They cant just change their minds for no reason .
Redress would be sue for breach and damages for loss of earnings
The utter gits on 18:36 - Mar 27 with 1082 viewsCatullus

I don't know when I'll find out what happened now but thanks for the input guys.

The utter gits on 20:11 - Mar 27 with 1035 viewsAguycalledJack

The utter gits on 19:43 - Mar 26 by Catullus

Many solicitors offer 1 - 2 Hours initial advice for free. I think tonner johns ratti offer this.

Swansea university used to also offer a free legal advice clinic.

Also get him to contact his MP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024