Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... 13:37 - May 11 with 2238 viewstheloneranger

The rest is history ...

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 17:22 - May 11 with 1687 viewsmonmouth

Call me Mr Picky, but that's history too. :)

What a header of a ball that man was. Very underrated player all told.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 17:48 - May 11 with 1668 viewstheloneranger

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 17:22 - May 11 by monmouth

Call me Mr Picky, but that's history too. :)

What a header of a ball that man was. Very underrated player all told.

He was well taught, and listened to the best ...

"Il Gigante Buono" John Charles

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 18:24 - May 11 with 1639 viewsThrasher6

Remember that night well. The Vetch was electric then. That header was almost in slow motion.

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 18:52 - May 11 with 1617 viewsswancity

One of the very best headers of a football I’ve ever seen. And such an intelligent player. His couple of games at centre back underlining that.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 20:05 - May 11 with 1579 viewssainthelens

As a 13yo with his 2 best mates, that goal was literally 20 yards from where we were on the east bank. Total fckn bedlam. Memories very vivid of that night even now.
41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 20:05 - May 11 with 1579 viewsmarchamjack

Best ever Swans match at The Vetch under floodlights

Has there been a better more important one?

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 20:17 - May 11 with 1564 viewsCatullus

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 20:05 - May 11 by sainthelens

As a 13yo with his 2 best mates, that goal was literally 20 yards from where we were on the east bank. Total fckn bedlam. Memories very vivid of that night even now.

I was in the wing stand with my dad, it was my 12th birthday, what a present that was.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 20:18 - May 11 with 1560 viewstheloneranger

... And what a cross from Danny Bartley!!

Login to get fewer ads

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 20:59 - May 11 with 1517 viewsmonmouth

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 20:05 - May 11 by marchamjack

Best ever Swans match at The Vetch under floodlights

Has there been a better more important one?

Luton before Preston?

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 21:20 - May 11 with 1501 viewslonglostjack

I was there! On the North Bank with an uncle who hadn’t watched a match for over 10 years. His brother my other uncle was a season ticket holder. Not sure what was more memorable. Tosh’s goal or my grandmother telling her two boys to behave when we were leaving the house.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 22:19 - May 11 with 1460 viewsbuilthjack

What a night.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 09:07 - May 12 with 1366 viewsmonmouth

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 22:19 - May 11 by builthjack

What a night.

I missed it, but also had a great night. I lived in Leeds then, so went to Hillsborough to watch Wednesday amazingly beat Swindon, which, with our win is what sent us up that night. Swindon were about ten times the better team, hit the post and bar about six times and (I think) missed a penalty. Wednesday ended up winning 2-1.

If Swindon had won they would have ended up pipping us ongoal difference, so luck was with us that night for sure. They kicked off 15 mins earlier so had to wait for confirmation. Didn't realise the drama at the Vetch because (I should have known better, even then) I expected us to win comfortably.

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 09:51 - May 12 with 1350 viewsAnotherJohn

I watched the goal from the North Bank. What sticks in the mind is that during the run-in Tosh wasn't fit enough to last a full game, but still made a big difference coming on as a second-half substitute. I think he came on with about 20 minutes to go in this game and scored on around 80 minutes.
41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 20:18 - May 12 with 1238 viewsJBT95

Why was the game played Friday night?

Did everybody play then?
[Post edited 12 May 2020 20:19]
41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 21:16 - May 12 with 1209 viewsFireboy2

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 21:20 - May 11 by longlostjack

I was there! On the North Bank with an uncle who hadn’t watched a match for over 10 years. His brother my other uncle was a season ticket holder. Not sure what was more memorable. Tosh’s goal or my grandmother telling her two boys to behave when we were leaving the house.

My recent late uncle took me

What a great night.

Tosh showed how good he was even though he was passed it.
41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 00:33 - May 13 with 1171 viewstheloneranger

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 21:16 - May 12 by Fireboy2

My recent late uncle took me

What a great night.

Tosh showed how good he was even though he was passed it.

Tosh had only just passed his 30th birthday when he came on that night, but was still suffering from his long term thigh problem which had scuppered a transfer to both Leicester and Anderlecht, and luckily led to him becoming our player manager aged just 28.

Especially after C**rdiff had knocked him back as a coach. 😂😂

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 08:12 - May 13 with 1135 viewsFireboy2

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 00:33 - May 13 by theloneranger

Tosh had only just passed his 30th birthday when he came on that night, but was still suffering from his long term thigh problem which had scuppered a transfer to both Leicester and Anderlecht, and luckily led to him becoming our player manager aged just 28.

Especially after C**rdiff had knocked him back as a coach. 😂😂

Still cant believe how young he was when he came, at the time it didnt register for me because I was only 8, that thigh injury really did mess his playing career up but in a funny way it started us on an unforgettable journey.
41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 10:22 - May 13 with 1101 viewsthornabyswan

Any video footage of this game.

I was looking for the Cardiff home game 79.80 last week and also the 3 palace cup ties in the same season.

But no luck if anybody can find anything would they please post it.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 10:35 - May 13 with 1089 viewsdameedna

If I was there most prob on the east. Dont remember the goal but seen the picture. If it was Luton my my what a game, with Ricky Hill a total marvel and putting us on tenderhooks.
41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 10:58 - May 13 with 1071 viewssainthelens

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 10:35 - May 13 by dameedna

If I was there most prob on the east. Dont remember the goal but seen the picture. If it was Luton my my what a game, with Ricky Hill a total marvel and putting us on tenderhooks.

That Luton game was on a par with the 2nd leg playoff/Forest when it comes to nerves.
Remember hanging onto the tin sheeting at back of the North bank to get a view. Fckn mental night that was.
41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 11:37 - May 13 with 1060 viewsmonmouth

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 10:58 - May 13 by sainthelens

That Luton game was on a par with the 2nd leg playoff/Forest when it comes to nerves.
Remember hanging onto the tin sheeting at back of the North bank to get a view. Fckn mental night that was.

2-0 up and cruising, and then they decided to play. They could have scored 6. Never been so grateful for a 2-2. It worked out for the best. I wouldn't have wanted to go to Preston with the mentality that a draw would be enough.

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 14:02 - May 13 with 1020 viewstaffpunk

Much revered by Swansea fans and also by Cardiff supporters, there's not many can say that. My favourite player when I was a kid, still thought his book was pretty sh@t though.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 14:34 - May 13 with 1004 viewsmonmouth

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 14:02 - May 13 by taffpunk

Much revered by Swansea fans and also by Cardiff supporters, there's not many can say that. My favourite player when I was a kid, still thought his book was pretty sh@t though.

Not as bad as his poetry. Didn’t he bring out a collection....’Gosh, it’s Tosh’. And it certainly was.

Maybe I was hallucinating. There were a lot of shrooms around in the early eighties.

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 15:32 - May 13 with 986 viewssherpajacob

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 20:18 - May 12 by JBT95

Why was the game played Friday night?

Did everybody play then?
[Post edited 12 May 2020 20:19]

at the time there was no requirement for everyone to finish their season on the same day. Teams would often have rearranged fixtures still to play and would play them in the week before or even after the FA Cup final.

The scheduled season would have finished the Saturday before.(The famous Plymouth away MOTD)

This fixture and the Wednesday v swindon match would have been rearranged from earlier in the season, postponed due to weather or cup clashes. This was common practise I think our Bristol city relegation match in 85 was the same. Played the Friday before the FA Cup final.

I may be wrong but I think swindon still had another fixture to play, hence I don't think people were glued to the transistor radio for their score. I do recall as a 11 year old explaining to my mums friend the permutations beforehand, of which there were many also involving other clubs, the simplest of which was; we win and Swindon lose we're up.

It was later changed so that everyone had to finish on the same day, after Coventry played about 3 games after the cup final, they need to win them all and did, mainly because the opposition were playing in swimming trunks and sandals.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 15:54]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

41 Years Ago Tonight .... Tosh Did This ... on 15:52 - May 13 with 970 viewssherpajacob

Further to above, its quite remarkable (in David Coleman accent) our promotion was confirmed that night as several teams still had other matches left to play

using this superb website:-
https://www.11v11.com/teams/swindon-town/tab/matches/season/1979/

Swindon still another game left, which they lost, but because they lost at Wednesday they now couldn't catch us

Gillingham had 2 games left and won both, but because we won, they couldn't catch us.

Watford had one game left which they won to go above us into 2nd

Shrewsbury had one game left which they won to go top, above us and Watford.

if we hadn't beaten Chesterfield, we would have been sweating all the following week on the other teams results, hoping for slip ups from either Shrewsbury, Watford or Gillingham, none of them did.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 15:55]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024