Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities 22:25 - May 29 with 4825 viewsLeonWasGod

'UK Government plans to limit the number of English students going to university in Wales'
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/education/uk-government-plans-limit-number-18

Above highlights planned temporary response to Covid-19 from Westminster. Confirmed student applications for next year so far are well down, as students want to defer because of the uncertainty around Covid. So Westminster's planned response is to safeguard English universities by capping the number of English students allowed entry to Unis here in Wales, protecting English admissions instead. Wales is threatening to retaliate, but obviously would be the loser based on sheer numbers.

All in it together? Are we f*ck. This is beyond simple politicking, it absolutely stinks.

(Background to this is that since the funding model changed to user-funded, student registrations are absolutely key to our universities. Student fees provide the majority of university income. Unis have done a lot already to cut costs in response to a natural fall in the numbers of 18 year olds in the UK over the last couple of years, including job losses. Now they face the impact of Covid on top - the bottom line is that less student equals less income equals job losses, with unis being some of the largest employers in Wales. This is also happening at a time when their 2nd most important income stream, research funding, is shrinking due to the idiocy of Brexit. Welsh unis we're the biggest beneficiaries of EU funding in the sector in the UK. It's a perfect storm that will have long lasting negative impacts on the universities and the communities they support).
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 10:40 - May 30 with 3615 viewsBest_loser

Just when student accommodation blocks in Swansea seem to be going up every few months
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 11:16 - May 30 with 3579 viewsKilkennyjack

As Gwynfor said ....

‘Britishness ... is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish ....’

The future is an independent Wales within the EU, or Wales-shire.

Feck these Tory b@stards.

Beware of the Risen People

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 11:33 - May 30 with 3568 viewsBarrySwan

I see so the English are OK when they're propping up Welsh university numbers?

I suppose that I can't be the only one observing the irony of the nats natural inclination to whine about the English 'Overlords', now being replaced with a rather bizarre 'The English are starving our universities of funds by not coming here'

Unfortunately of course our higher education system has been universally damaged by the labour party's Mr Blair starting off the ludicrous 50% of our young adults will go to university nonsense.

Thus ensuring a massive increase in made up irrelevant courses and a mass degradation of university entrance standards accompanied by the current Ponzi scheme often referred to as student accommodation.

Chuck into the mix the almost obligatory " I'm taking a gap year to widen my horizons' before starting aforementioned courses plus the never ending whining about there not being enough jobs that justify a university degree ( who'd have thunk that then?) and paying a degree status wages.

Perhaps here is an opportunity to rebalance our higher education system into making sure that those who attain the highest secondary school qualifications have an uninmpeded route to university including suitable maintenance grants rather than having to pay yearly fees introduced of course by the ever caring Labour Party.

Accompanied by a massive reduction in the outrageous wages of senior university staff such as the vice chancellors for example.

And the rest of school leavers who wish, be given a full opportunity to enter vocational and technical training provided by technical colleges and leaving as engineers, nurses, mechanics etc etc or simply starting a job with in house on the job training by their new employers?

The nats really have to make their mind up they either don't want the English that they slag off so often or they welcome them.

I'm surely not the only person embarrassed by the Welsh nat "Please sir can we have some more" economic policy engendered by the incompetents down the Bay of Plenty?

[Post edited 30 May 2020 11:41]
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 17:19 - May 30 with 3499 viewsItchySphincter

So we’re all for welsh independence then? Oh, hang on a minute....

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 21:31 - May 30 with 3418 viewsKilkennyjack

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 17:19 - May 30 by ItchySphincter

Yes - staying in an abusive relationship for the wrong reasons is always a good idea.

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 12:07 - May 31 with 3341 viewsmonmouth

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 11:33 - May 30 by BarrySwan

I suppose that I can't be the only one observing the irony of the nats natural inclination to whine about the English 'Overlords', now being replaced with a rather bizarre 'The English are starving our universities of funds by not coming here'

Unfortunately of course our higher education system has been universally damaged by the labour party's Mr Blair starting off the ludicrous 50% of our young adults will go to university nonsense.

Thus ensuring a massive increase in made up irrelevant courses and a mass degradation of university entrance standards accompanied by the current Ponzi scheme often referred to as student accommodation.

Chuck into the mix the almost obligatory " I'm taking a gap year to widen my horizons' before starting aforementioned courses plus the never ending whining about there not being enough jobs that justify a university degree ( who'd have thunk that then?) and paying a degree status wages.

Perhaps here is an opportunity to rebalance our higher education system into making sure that those who attain the highest secondary school qualifications have an uninmpeded route to university including suitable maintenance grants rather than having to pay yearly fees introduced of course by the ever caring Labour Party.

Accompanied by a massive reduction in the outrageous wages of senior university staff such as the vice chancellors for example.

And the rest of school leavers who wish, be given a full opportunity to enter vocational and technical training provided by technical colleges and leaving as engineers, nurses, mechanics etc etc or simply starting a job with in house on the job training by their new employers?

The nats really have to make their mind up they either don't want the English that they slag off so often or they welcome them.

I'm surely not the only person embarrassed by the Welsh nat "Please sir can we have some more" economic policy engendered by the incompetents down the Bay of Plenty?

Edited to play nice for a while. The sun’s shining and I have a beer in my hand. Life’s all right.
[Post edited 31 May 2020 14:11]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 14:52 - May 31 with 3296 viewsKilkennyjack

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 11:33 - May 30 by BarrySwan

Education is a good thing.

It helps access the high skilled jobs, which in turn offers good career opportunities with progression.

Its a shame that you missed out yourself.

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 15:09 - May 31 with 3286 viewsLeonWasGod

What?
Login to get fewer ads

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 15:20 - May 31 with 3274 viewsLeonWasGod

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 17:19 - May 30 by ItchySphincter

Not sure what that's got to do with anything either. This would be a massive blow to major employers in Wales (ones who also promote Wales on an international stage).

The problem is we have an educational system run on free market basis, but then deliberate protectionist interventions from England would put us at a severe disadvantage.

I'm surprised people don't seem to care.
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 15:25 - May 31 with 3268 viewsJackinexile1

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 15:20 - May 31 by LeonWasGod

Not sure what that's got to do with anything either. This would be a massive blow to major employers in Wales (ones who also promote Wales on an international stage).

The problem is we have an educational system run on free market basis, but then deliberate protectionist interventions from England would put us at a severe disadvantage.

I think people are just taking the piss out of the Independent Wales bunch, who are now crying because England aren't sending as many students to Wales.
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 15:32 - May 31 with 3262 viewschad

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 15:20 - May 31 by LeonWasGod

I imagine it is a major concern for our universities.

Would the current / past policies on funding uni fees for home students in Scotland and Wales not have a similar protectionist effect? Suppose an effect of separate control authorities, separate rules.

Is it correct that in some areas EU students pay less than our own UK students?

Seemed strange to me, so probably got it wrong.
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 15:52 - May 31 with 3252 viewsPozuelosSideys

Universities, particularly in Wales would do better to focus on quality rather than quantity of what they offer. That could be said for Universties all over the UK though tbf.

Having hundreds of different courses, many of which are pointless in a modern job market are just encouraging Universities to set up like private profit-driven enterprises. It encourages high fees, high borrowing, high student loans, high salaries for University admin (those who run the place, not the lecturers or paper admin types) etc etc. Thats not what further education is supposed to be about. Many wont like this, but its stupid that so many people go to University and stack themselves with so much debt. Its honestly not worth it and people should look at other options to develop careers for themselves. That said, for many the job market and development system is likely to be against them. Society doesnt help with the "you should do this, this and this" mentality either when the world is changing quickly. What was an ideal education to work to career path 30 years ago is not the same now.

Of course, the solution will be to encourage more wealthy Chinese and Indian etc students to come over and fill these slots instead. However, many of them will only be interested in Core STEM subjects.
[Post edited 31 May 2020 15:55]

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 16:03 - May 31 with 3233 viewskrunchykarrot

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 16:33 - May 31 with 3209 viewsSPboy

It’s high time people in Wales faced up to the fact that relying on the government to prop up what are effectively part public service funded institutions is not going to last forever. Surprise, surprise it’s a competitive world out there. Wales needs a government that needs to promote private sector investment not whinge about continuous hand-outs from across the bridge or gripes about the Barnet formula
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 16:45 - May 31 with 3199 viewsJackinexile1

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 16:33 - May 31 by SPboy

It’s high time people in Wales faced up to the fact that relying on the government to prop up what are effectively part public service funded institutions is not going to last forever. Surprise, surprise it’s a competitive world out there. Wales needs a government that needs to promote private sector investment not whinge about continuous hand-outs from across the bridge or gripes about the Barnet formula

Drakeford will run Wales into the ground, no-one will care until the furlough stops and they are jobless.
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 17:19 - May 31 with 3186 viewsKilkennyjack

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 16:45 - May 31 by Jackinexile1

Drakeford will run Wales into the ground, no-one will care until the furlough stops and they are jobless.

Drakeford is keeping Wales safe.

Thats quite important to most welsh people.

Opening up ....when its safe to do so ....is exactly the right thing to do.
Drakers is on it.

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 17:24 - May 31 with 3181 viewsJackinexile1

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 17:19 - May 31 by Kilkennyjack

Drakeford is keeping Wales safe.

Thats quite important to most welsh people.

Opening up ....when its safe to do so ....is exactly the right thing to do.
Drakers is on it.

Important to the wealthy who can afford not to work.
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 18:14 - May 31 with 3162 viewsJoe_bradshaw

How are they proposing to stop people going to the university of their choice?

Are they going to use access to finance such as student loans?

Surely people have a basic right to study wherever they wish provided they satisfy the entry requirements?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 19:42 - May 31 with 3135 viewsKilkennyjack

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 17:24 - May 31 by Jackinexile1

Important to the wealthy who can afford not to work.

Not so many wealthy people in Wales, certainly not compared to SE England.

Health would come first for most people.

Its not black and white, but opening too soon will inevitably mean locking down hard once again.
Opening up at the right time may avoid a second hard lock down.

So for both health reasons and economic reasons, we need to apply care and get it right. (See Drakers). Not rush it and get it wrong. (See Johnson).

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 19:57 - May 31 with 3120 viewslondonlisa2001

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 19:42 - May 31 by Kilkennyjack

Not so many wealthy people in Wales, certainly not compared to SE England.

Health would come first for most people.

Its not black and white, but opening too soon will inevitably mean locking down hard once again.
Opening up at the right time may avoid a second hard lock down.

So for both health reasons and economic reasons, we need to apply care and get it right. (See Drakers). Not rush it and get it wrong. (See Johnson).

‘Health would come first for most people. ‘

Yes, but that’s not the trade off. Only a tiny number of young people with no previous medical history suffer badly, so for them, it’s a far greater hardship losing their job, house, struggling to feed their families etc.

I can’t understand why you don’t get it. A 25 year old is in more danger driving to work than they are getting Covid. They drive to work despite that because they need to earn money. Don’t you need to earn money?
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 20:26 - May 31 with 3101 viewsLeonWasGod

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 19:57 - May 31 by londonlisa2001

‘Health would come first for most people. ‘

Yes, but that’s not the trade off. Only a tiny number of young people with no previous medical history suffer badly, so for them, it’s a far greater hardship losing their job, house, struggling to feed their families etc.

I can’t understand why you don’t get it. A 25 year old is in more danger driving to work than they are getting Covid. They drive to work despite that because they need to earn money. Don’t you need to earn money?

They can pass it on though, so it is a trade off.
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 20:32 - May 31 with 3099 viewsBLAZE

I'm due to start the third year of my degree shortly. I'm thinking of deferring for a year to be honest. £9k for a stripped back experience, video conferencing and reduced amenities isn't very appealing
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 20:37 - May 31 with 3088 viewslondonlisa2001

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 20:26 - May 31 by LeonWasGod

They can pass it on though, so it is a trade off.

They can’t pass it on to anyone that isn’t meeting them though.
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 20:40 - May 31 with 3085 viewsLeonWasGod

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 20:37 - May 31 by londonlisa2001

They can’t pass it on to anyone that isn’t meeting them though.

Which was exactly Kilk’s point about opening too early?

Maybe I’ve misunderstood what you were saying as we seem to be talking at crossed purposes.
Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 20:56 - May 31 with 3080 viewslondonlisa2001

Westminster planning to hamstring Welsh Universities on 20:40 - May 31 by LeonWasGod

Which was exactly Kilk’s point about opening too early?

Maybe I’ve misunderstood what you were saying as we seem to be talking at crossed purposes.

Lockdown affects everyone equally. Everyone is stopped from doing everything.

There are many who are being far more adversely affected by lockdown than they would be by risking catching the virus. So by allowing them out of lockdown it solves that issue.

Anyone that is more vulnerable can just stick to lockdown rules for as long as they want. There’s nothing that says we HAVE to now meet people from another house, go to a public place, go to a shop when they open later this month. If young people are living with more vulnerable people then they can stay stricter.

I don’t quite understand why people can’t do what suits them and their families and loved ones best. I’m obviously missing something but I haven’t changed what I’ve done in the past few weeks.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024