Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been to Egypt? 21:12 - Jun 18 with 6499 viewsBrynCartwright

Up there with Japan, Argentina and Canada to me in terms of new countries i'd like to get to before I snuff it.

{Talking about Japan, what's happened to Cooperman?)

Would love to see the pyramids, the Valley of the Kings, Karnak and all that.

Just wondering if anyone on PS has been there, done that and can recommend anything?

[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 21:30]

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Anyone been to Egypt? on 10:03 - Jun 19 with 1115 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Anyone been to Egypt? on 22:24 - Jun 18 by BLAZE

How does Hurghada compare to Sharm?

This thread has me itching to travel now

This thread has me itching too. But I think it’s more because of the mention of giant bees and mosquitos......
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 10:03]

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Anyone been to Egypt? on 11:17 - Jun 19 with 1079 viewsMuteswan

Anyone been to Egypt? on 01:15 - Jun 19 by Muteswan

We went in 2008, so quite a while ago, before the latest problems. Stayed in Sharm and did 3 excursions, snorkelling in the Red Sea, flew to Cairo for the museum, pyramids etc. and flew to Jordan and went to Petra. The reasons we flew to the other places were travelling time and security basically. As it was , the trips were all day jobs, and I mean all day.
The museum was , as you’d expect ,amazing. Tutankhamun exhibition was stunning. No photography allowed. ☹️ Pyramids and Sphinx are so much bigger than you imagine! Did the VIP tour, so private car and guide, expensive but less time travelling and no queuing.
Petra is superb, a lot of walking, but well worth the effort. Fantastic experience. Take a camera with you. Phones are great but the wide angle and zoom on a decent camera cannot be matched. I’ll try to post some photos I took, another time. If you feel safe about going, it’s a great experience.
Oh yes, I nearly forgot. IT IS VERY HOT. ☀️☀️☀️

The guy on the camel wanted money for me taking the photo. No chance !

Petra

Anyone been to Egypt? on 13:31 - Jun 19 with 1037 viewssquarebear

Ahh, you should've paid him. You photographed him, so it's a fair shout for baksheesh.
Anyone been to Egypt? on 14:05 - Jun 19 with 1025 viewsFlashberryjack

Anyone been to Egypt? on 22:24 - Jun 18 by BLAZE

How does Hurghada compare to Sharm?

This thread has me itching to travel now

I prefer Sharm only because the snorkelling is better, Sharm is basically a man made holiday resort whereas Hurghada is more typical Egypt (my wife prefers Hurghada)

In Hurghada you'll see extreme poverty, and within a few hundred yards see extreme wealth (the Marina for instance).

The hotel we always stay in was mainly Thomas Cook so we used to fly from Bristol, now that TUI have taken over there'll be flights from Cardiff, but we won't be going anywhere this year, other than maybe a visit to relatives in Bangor Northern Ireland.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Anyone been to Egypt? on 14:47 - Jun 19 with 999 viewsMuteswan

Anyone been to Egypt? on 13:31 - Jun 19 by squarebear

Ahh, you should've paid him. You photographed him, so it's a fair shout for baksheesh.

I’ll look out for him next time I go! 😉
Anyone been to Egypt? on 18:41 - Jun 19 with 966 viewsFlashberryjack

Anyone been to Egypt? on 14:47 - Jun 19 by Muteswan

I’ll look out for him next time I go! 😉

Please do, his name is "Slim"

Hello

Anyone been to Egypt? on 18:58 - Jun 19 with 955 viewscontroversial_jack

I've been to Sharm and Hurghada. Sharm seemed a bit more up market.Egyptians seem to have their hand out for a tip most of the time , they must be on shit money.

I was bitten by mossies a lot in Sharm, but not Hurghada. The food is crap even in the good hotels and the alcoholic is weak - beer dreadful.

The red sea , very overrated, as most of the beaches are very shallow with reefs, and I didn't find it any warmer than i have in the med

The climate is superb in both resorts though. Hot and dry desert heat.

Mrs Cj and i, both had awful stomach cramps and the squits in Hurghada, but I guess that's down to the hotel
Anyone been to Egypt? on 19:17 - Jun 19 with 943 viewsjack_lord

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:41 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

Strangely not.

Actually I’m laughing at the memory - on the boat was a fabulous bunch from the Coventry branch of the Fiat 500 club - what a bunch of nutters they were. And there was a bloke who had a different Middlesbrough football shirt every day of the 7 days we were on board. His wife was absolutely lovely and hated him as far as we could tell...

My wife is still laughing at your last sentence - should I be worried.

Back to Egypt. She went when she was 18 and wanted to study Egyptology. She stayed in Luxor and went to all the sites mentioned.

She said the same as Banosman about the men and was frightened by them, even locked in a shop and was screaming. She said that there were armed guards taking them from the airport to the hotel and on trips.

No idea if it is still like that. She was there in 1997 and I think there was shooting just after she was there.

She would love to go back and see the sites again but said she had to get up at 4:30 in the morning to visit the sites, again because of the heat. She said it was grubby in Luxor but obviously amazing with the sites but can't say enough how horrible the men were.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been to Egypt? on 19:52 - Jun 19 with 927 viewsFlashberryjack

Anyone been to Egypt? on 19:17 - Jun 19 by jack_lord

My wife is still laughing at your last sentence - should I be worried.

Back to Egypt. She went when she was 18 and wanted to study Egyptology. She stayed in Luxor and went to all the sites mentioned.

She said the same as Banosman about the men and was frightened by them, even locked in a shop and was screaming. She said that there were armed guards taking them from the airport to the hotel and on trips.

No idea if it is still like that. She was there in 1997 and I think there was shooting just after she was there.

She would love to go back and see the sites again but said she had to get up at 4:30 in the morning to visit the sites, again because of the heat. She said it was grubby in Luxor but obviously amazing with the sites but can't say enough how horrible the men were.

It's certainly not like that now (but like many countries tourists have to be careful of what areas they go to).

The food in our hotel was great, Sunday was roast beef and proper yorkshire pudding, the beer in the hotel was the usual stuff you get on all inclusive, but outside a pint bottle of Sakara served in a glass straight from the freezer is great, especially as it costs about £1.10.

We were in the valley of the kings at about 1:30 in the afternoon, and it was bloody steaming hot, but we were dressed appropriately, thankfully there's a little road train that takes you up to the top of the tombs, thank heavens for that.

If your missus wants to go back to Egypt, my advice is take her, it's changed a hell of a lot since she was last there.

Hello

Anyone been to Egypt? on 09:36 - Jun 20 with 868 viewsjack_lord

Anyone been to Egypt? on 19:52 - Jun 19 by Flashberryjack

It's certainly not like that now (but like many countries tourists have to be careful of what areas they go to).

The food in our hotel was great, Sunday was roast beef and proper yorkshire pudding, the beer in the hotel was the usual stuff you get on all inclusive, but outside a pint bottle of Sakara served in a glass straight from the freezer is great, especially as it costs about £1.10.

We were in the valley of the kings at about 1:30 in the afternoon, and it was bloody steaming hot, but we were dressed appropriately, thankfully there's a little road train that takes you up to the top of the tombs, thank heavens for that.

If your missus wants to go back to Egypt, my advice is take her, it's changed a hell of a lot since she was last there.

She does want to go back and the "Egypt" experience is special. They stayed iWinter Palalce and still they all had "the sh*ts" for weeks after. She said a vodka and coke was £15.
She was upset by the begging, even in the hotel.
That was then and as it has changed a hell of a lot then it may be time to go soon.

On a separate note about Egypt. I was doing research at about the same time and we were looking at the future and using technology to give a virtual experience as mass tourism was eroding the antiquities and threatening the existence of the whole history.

Anyone been to Egypt? on 14:43 - Jun 20 with 838 viewsFlashberryjack

Anyone been to Egypt? on 09:36 - Jun 20 by jack_lord

She does want to go back and the "Egypt" experience is special. They stayed iWinter Palalce and still they all had "the sh*ts" for weeks after. She said a vodka and coke was £15.
She was upset by the begging, even in the hotel.
That was then and as it has changed a hell of a lot then it may be time to go soon.

On a separate note about Egypt. I was doing research at about the same time and we were looking at the future and using technology to give a virtual experience as mass tourism was eroding the antiquities and threatening the existence of the whole history.

When we went on the boat trip up the Nile, we got off at the Winter Palace to meet our taxi to take us back to the hotel.

I do believe Agatha Christie wrote "Death on the Nile" whilst staying at the Winter Palace.

Hello

Anyone been to Egypt? on 15:06 - Jun 20 with 831 viewsjack_lord

Anyone been to Egypt? on 14:43 - Jun 20 by Flashberryjack

When we went on the boat trip up the Nile, we got off at the Winter Palace to meet our taxi to take us back to the hotel.

I do believe Agatha Christie wrote "Death on the Nile" whilst staying at the Winter Palace.

That's right. When they were there, the Secret Service bombarded the rooms as there was a Presidential visit passing the front of the hotel. I can understand why that happened though.
She said all the boats stopped in front of the hotel. They also had to get boats to cross over the Nile and it was like the stock exchange with their guides trying to get tickets for Tutankhamen etc;

Anyone been to Egypt? on 18:42 - Jun 20 with 803 viewsperplex

I found the Pyramids quite disappointing, Cairo was and eye opener to say the least, well worth getting a taxi tour driver to really get into the nitty gritty of the place, Luxor and the Nile were amazing as was the Valley of the kings, we went with Marella cruises and Petra in Jordan was in the itinerary as well, had a great choice of excursions to choose from.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024