Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scary Windmills 10:13 - Oct 23 with 1981 viewsonehunglow

According to Don ,a big cause of cancer then?

Fumes from a Windmill.

Prof...where are you Sir.Report back on this

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Scary Windmills on 10:32 - Oct 23 with 807 viewsProfessor

Scotia is your man for this-its his line of work around environmental assessment and mitigation.

Can disrupt birds if in flight/migration areas, but just don't put them there. You get a good view of them out in the bay and off N. Wales driving over Thursaston.
Scary Windmills on 10:36 - Oct 23 with 805 viewsonehunglow

Talking of birds,you seen the high tides this week.Sea up to the wall at Hoylake and a promenade full of twitchers,one of whom I spoke to coming from Coventry. It s a free smorgasbord for bird apparently. Thousands of them
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 10:36]

Scary Windmills on 10:42 - Oct 23 with 794 viewsProfessor

Scary Windmills on 10:36 - Oct 23 by onehunglow

Talking of birds,you seen the high tides this week.Sea up to the wall at Hoylake and a promenade full of twitchers,one of whom I spoke to coming from Coventry. It s a free smorgasbord for bird apparently. Thousands of them
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 10:36]

Yes-we are seaside not marsh side this week. Brings in lots of raptors around here as all the small mammals have to leg it towards the old sea wall in Parkgate and up to the old quayside in Neston.

Was on that BBC programme 'Coast' about 10 years ago showing the feast at Parkgate
Scary Windmills on 10:43 - Oct 23 with 792 viewsBoundy

Without looking at a :link: not sure what fumes emanate from a wind turbine ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Scary Windmills on 10:55 - Oct 23 with 785 viewsonehunglow

I cant do links Boundy. Have a look at the debate with Biden .Its all over there.

Scary Windmills on 11:14 - Oct 23 with 771 viewsLohengrin

Scary Windmills on 10:32 - Oct 23 by Professor

Scotia is your man for this-its his line of work around environmental assessment and mitigation.

Can disrupt birds if in flight/migration areas, but just don't put them there. You get a good view of them out in the bay and off N. Wales driving over Thursaston.

Ugly bloody things though, aren’t they? A real blight on the landscape.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Scary Windmills on 11:14 - Oct 23 with 771 viewsHighjack

Scary Windmills on 10:43 - Oct 23 by Boundy

Without looking at a :link: not sure what fumes emanate from a wind turbine ?

“Most of the wind turbines contain SF6 gas, which is 23,500 times more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide and remains in the atmosphere for at least 1,000 years. Turbines leak a small amount of gas during normal operation.”

Obviously the amount of gas released is nowhere near the amount of greenhouse gas releases from hydrocarbons.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Scary Windmills on 11:19 - Oct 23 with 764 viewsonehunglow

All over our coastline Loh. All over mid Wales too. And yes they are. They seem not to work much.

Login to get fewer ads

Scary Windmills on 11:20 - Oct 23 with 762 viewsBoundy

The leakage of SF6 gas from a turbine is rare rare certainly in the UK and most turbines only hold a very small amount . the National Grid have a larger problem where their substations contain significantly larger amounts of SF6 gas ( used as an insulating medium for its HV switchgear) and have lost varying amounts over the years .

Scary Windmills on 13:20 - Oct 23 with 740 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Scary Windmills on 11:14 - Oct 23 by Lohengrin

Ugly bloody things though, aren’t they? A real blight on the landscape.

Not as if coal mines and the soil heaps were beautiful and caused no pollution. I think I would rather have wind turbines 5 miles out to sea.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Scary Windmills on 14:16 - Oct 23 with 716 viewsBoundy

Scary Windmills on 13:20 - Oct 23 by felixstowe_jack

Not as if coal mines and the soil heaps were beautiful and caused no pollution. I think I would rather have wind turbines 5 miles out to sea.

What I don't understand but why are they painted white , not exactly blending in with the landscape. Pylons are painted grey because predominantly the sky condition in this country is cloudy . There are plans to afoot to increase the site at the Rhigos by another 30 turbines and another new big site just north of an existing one near Maesteg ,I really cant see how Boris can be confident that all our electrical energy with be sourced b y renewables within 10 years . Sort of makes Hinckley point C redundant even both its completed

Scary Windmills on 16:18 - Oct 23 with 678 viewsfelixstowe_jack

They are painted white so planes, birds and ships at sea can see them.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Scary Windmills on 16:28 - Oct 23 with 669 viewsBoundy

Scary Windmills on 16:18 - Oct 23 by felixstowe_jack

T I'm not so sure , the off shore turbines have painted yellow bases and are in large arrays are so will show up on Rader , where there are designated flight paths then some of the taller turbines have navigation lights fitted, similar to National Grid pylons

https://discoverwindenergy.com/the-colors-of-the-wind-turbines-why-are-wind-turb

Scary Windmills on 19:32 - Oct 23 with 637 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I am surprised that you did not understand what the President actually said.
It was "I know more about wind than you do,' the president touted. 'It's extremely expensive, kills all the birds, is very intermittent, it's got a lot of problems, and they happen to make the windmills in both Germany and China. And the fumes coming up, if you are a believer in carbon emission, the fumes coming up to make these massive windmills is more than anything were talking about with natural gas, which is very clean.'

Which covers the whole manufacturing process from making Rare Earth magnets to everything else.
Scary Windmills on 19:39 - Oct 23 with 627 viewsNeath_Jack

I find them relaxing to look at, almost hypnotic, similar to looking into a camp fire.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Scary Windmills on 19:44 - Oct 23 with 624 viewsCatullus

I'm not a fan of them simply because they dig up thousands of acres of green land to plant these things. They destroy habitat, they kill birds and they don't even work half the time. If the wind is too slow they don't turn and if it's too strong they turn them off.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Scary Windmills on 20:09 - Oct 23 with 611 viewsBoundy

Scary Windmills on 19:44 - Oct 23 by Catullus

I'm not a fan of them simply because they dig up thousands of acres of green land to plant these things. They destroy habitat, they kill birds and they don't even work half the time. If the wind is too slow they don't turn and if it's too strong they turn them off.

The foundations very large dependant on the size of the turbine are but the foot print of a turbine is very small when completed not much bigger than the diameter of the turbine itself although admittedly they have crane pads and tracks You'd be maybe surprised that it only takes about a 8mph or 4m/s for the turbines to start generating . yes they do shut down if the wind speed is excessive and thats because of the danger of them going into overspeed which can create a great deal of heat and the potential to cause a fire.
Environmentally whenever a licence is granted then a environmental plan has to be produced and adhered to throughout the life of the site and when the site is decommissioned then the complete infrastructure including cables and the foundations, ,tracks etc have to be removed and the land reinstated.
At least when a wind farm is built the land is not lost to the landowner unlike a solar farm which can take up acres of land and that area is lost to grazing and the such like .

Scary Windmills on 20:33 - Oct 23 with 603 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Scary Windmills on 20:09 - Oct 23 by Boundy

The foundations very large dependant on the size of the turbine are but the foot print of a turbine is very small when completed not much bigger than the diameter of the turbine itself although admittedly they have crane pads and tracks You'd be maybe surprised that it only takes about a 8mph or 4m/s for the turbines to start generating . yes they do shut down if the wind speed is excessive and thats because of the danger of them going into overspeed which can create a great deal of heat and the potential to cause a fire.
Environmentally whenever a licence is granted then a environmental plan has to be produced and adhered to throughout the life of the site and when the site is decommissioned then the complete infrastructure including cables and the foundations, ,tracks etc have to be removed and the land reinstated.
At least when a wind farm is built the land is not lost to the landowner unlike a solar farm which can take up acres of land and that area is lost to grazing and the such like .

Re decommissioning.
Unlike other Electrical generators Wind farms do not have to put decommissioning cash up front.
Therefore the cost for it depends on the Company still being in business, if they are liquidated the cost will fall on the public.
I don't think very much of the environmental plans used in Scotland that allowed the destruction of 12 million trees.
Scary Windmills on 20:51 - Oct 23 with 593 viewsbuilthjack

Scary Windmills on 19:39 - Oct 23 by Neath_Jack

I find them relaxing to look at, almost hypnotic, similar to looking into a camp fire.

Do you sing ging gang goolie around a windmill

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Scary Windmills on 20:54 - Oct 23 with 591 viewsNeath_Jack

Scary Windmills on 20:51 - Oct 23 by builthjack

Do you sing ging gang goolie around a windmill

What's the words to it?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Scary Windmills on 21:46 - Oct 23 with 582 views1462jack

Scary Windmills on 19:39 - Oct 23 by Neath_Jack

Or Hexi tv
Scary Windmills on 21:54 - Oct 23 with 575 viewsbuilthjack

Scary Windmills on 20:54 - Oct 23 by Neath_Jack

What's the words to it?

Its something about a goolie wash

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Scary Windmills on 22:12 - Oct 23 with 561 viewsDJack

Scary Windmills on 16:18 - Oct 23 by felixstowe_jack

Except that raptors, at least, don't. They are talking about painting one of the blades black on each turbine.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Scary Windmills on 22:19 - Oct 23 with 555 viewsCatullus

Scary Windmills on 20:09 - Oct 23 by Boundy

Decommissioning involves driving hevy plant over the land again, destroying habitat again. Reinstating the lnd probably drives wildlife away again.

Solar farms don't need the foundations a wind turbine does, it might only be a few feet bigger than the base of the turbine but how deep down do the foundations go?

Solar farms also don't kill birds and can work on cloudy days.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Scary Windmills on 22:19 - Oct 23 with 554 viewsNeath_Jack

Scary Windmills on 21:54 - Oct 23 by builthjack

Its something about a goolie wash

To what tune?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024