Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli 08:36 - Nov 7 with 4230 viewswestisbest

who will hopefully gain a full wales cap

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54846732
Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:01 - Nov 7 with 3172 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Got a way to go yet - my dad told me that almost all of the 1958 World Cup team were Swansea born. Is this true?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:08 - Nov 7 with 3167 viewswestisbest

THAT was some time ago. Closer to a century than zero. We'll have to do some checking.
Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:27 - Nov 7 with 3150 viewsKeithHaynes

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:01 - Nov 7 by Brynmill_Jack

Got a way to go yet - my dad told me that almost all of the 1958 World Cup team were Swansea born. Is this true?

Just off the cuff, John and Mel Charles, Ivor and Len Allchurch, Jack Kelsey, Terry Medwin, Cliff Jones, there’s plenty more I’m sure.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:40 - Nov 7 with 3140 viewsABERSWAN

Ken leek was from ynysbwl, but didn’t get any game time at the 58 World Cup. His grandson is Karl darlow, the Newcastle keeper. Sadly, with the Wales number 1 spot, there for the taking, he seems to be waiting for an England call up.
Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:50 - Nov 7 with 3135 viewsKeithHaynes

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:40 - Nov 7 by ABERSWAN

Ken leek was from ynysbwl, but didn’t get any game time at the 58 World Cup. His grandson is Karl darlow, the Newcastle keeper. Sadly, with the Wales number 1 spot, there for the taking, he seems to be waiting for an England call up.

Decent keeper, it surprises me he hasn’t been offered a cap, or maybe he has and turned it down ?

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 10:01 - Nov 7 with 3124 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:27 - Nov 7 by KeithHaynes

Just off the cuff, John and Mel Charles, Ivor and Len Allchurch, Jack Kelsey, Terry Medwin, Cliff Jones, there’s plenty more I’m sure.

Trevor Ford??

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 10:06 - Nov 7 with 3114 viewsFireboy2

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:50 - Nov 7 by KeithHaynes

Decent keeper, it surprises me he hasn’t been offered a cap, or maybe he has and turned it down ?

In addition to england darlow is eligible to represent Wales as his grandfather ken leek a Wales international striker was born in ynysybwl, darlow declined an invitation from Wales to play in a friendly v Austria in 2013.

Ryan Giggs the new Wales manager approached darlow to be part of his squad in 2018, darlow advised that he was trying to get back into the newcastle squad.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2020 10:08]
Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 10:28 - Nov 7 with 3088 viewsgrabsplatter

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:50 - Nov 7 by KeithHaynes

Wales have approached Darlow a couple of times but he's turned us down, shame really we definitely need a keeper
Login to get fewer ads

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 11:37 - Nov 7 with 3051 viewsCatullus

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 09:27 - Nov 7 by KeithHaynes

You forgot Mr Swansea,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/rags-to-riches-story-welsh-superst

That's quite incredible, 7 boys from the same street playing for Wales.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 11:46 - Nov 7 with 3046 viewstheloneranger

That's it Keith.

The 7 you named were the Swansea born from the Wales 22 man squad for the 1958 World Cup.

We could have had 8 with Tevor Ford, but he was serving a suspension, after his autobiography "I Lead the Attack" was published - in which he revealed that he was involved in an illegal-payments scandal while at Sunderland.

Kenneth Jones
Jack Kelsey. *
Graham Vearncombe

Leonard Edwards
Mel Hopkins
Stuart Williams

Colin Baker
Thomas Baker
David Bowen
Vic Crowe
John Elsworthy
Derrick Sullivan

Ivor Allchurch *
Len Allchurch *
John Charles *
Mel Charles. *
Ronald Hewitt
Cliff Jones *
Ken Leek
Terry Medwin. *
Roy Vernon
Colin Webster

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 11:51 - Nov 7 with 3045 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swansea s record in producing players is actually very poor snce 1960-70s. This was because the club was a shambles.

Credit must be given to the so called 'sellouts' for setting up the academy and developing players again. Long may it continue. Holistically their contribution greatly outstips any percieved snub to the Trust who actual achievement are extremly modest dare I say a burden on the club in terms of culture and spirit.

The Toshack in the late 1970s and early 1980s era produced Dudley Lewis Nigel Stevenson and Chris Marustik, Defenders. Later came Coleman another defender, Pascoe and Jason Bowen.

If I was winter I would call in the academy chief and want an explanation for why Swansea academy is a centra half factory. Big strong 6 ft 2 in centre backs abound. No local centre forwards even to challenge the standard of Bioti Biabbi or Courtney Baker Richardsson. Could Brandon Cooper, Cameron Evans, Ben Erikson , Joe Rodon, Ben Cabango been trained as big number 9s from the age of 10?
[Post edited 7 Nov 2020 11:54]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 12:37 - Nov 7 with 3008 viewsKeithHaynes

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 11:51 - Nov 7 by ReslovenSwan1

Swansea s record in producing players is actually very poor snce 1960-70s. This was because the club was a shambles.

Credit must be given to the so called 'sellouts' for setting up the academy and developing players again. Long may it continue. Holistically their contribution greatly outstips any percieved snub to the Trust who actual achievement are extremly modest dare I say a burden on the club in terms of culture and spirit.

The Toshack in the late 1970s and early 1980s era produced Dudley Lewis Nigel Stevenson and Chris Marustik, Defenders. Later came Coleman another defender, Pascoe and Jason Bowen.

If I was winter I would call in the academy chief and want an explanation for why Swansea academy is a centra half factory. Big strong 6 ft 2 in centre backs abound. No local centre forwards even to challenge the standard of Bioti Biabbi or Courtney Baker Richardsson. Could Brandon Cooper, Cameron Evans, Ben Erikson , Joe Rodon, Ben Cabango been trained as big number 9s from the age of 10?

Without going through all of the sides the swans produced in the 60’s I will mention Allchurch, Charles and Nurse there are plenty of others. The 1970s should be remembered fondly for producing Robbie James, Alan Curtis, Jeremy Charles and all of whom came through the clubs reserve team system as it was then. To forget that is a pretty poor show. There were no academies then just a system of investing in local talent across South Wales and putting them in to the structure as it was. However, if Curtis James and Charles were produced by a shambles of a club I’m pretty speechless.

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 13:14 - Nov 7 with 2991 viewsReslovenSwan1

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 12:37 - Nov 7 by KeithHaynes

Without going through all of the sides the swans produced in the 60’s I will mention Allchurch, Charles and Nurse there are plenty of others. The 1970s should be remembered fondly for producing Robbie James, Alan Curtis, Jeremy Charles and all of whom came through the clubs reserve team system as it was then. To forget that is a pretty poor show. There were no academies then just a system of investing in local talent across South Wales and putting them in to the structure as it was. However, if Curtis James and Charles were produced by a shambles of a club I’m pretty speechless.

My recollections start with Tosahack era. James and Curtis were already experienced pros by then having played in all four divisions. No disrespect to them obviously. I hold then in very high regard. The club at that time was not in a good state before Stuel and Toshack. Producing James and Curtis and Charles over two decades it that so great? Marustik and Dudley Lewis wee good pros. Stevenson had a good career.

After that there was very barren period, Coleman, Melville, Pascoe and Jason Bowen until the HJ era. In the same peirod the Wrexham Flint era had a golden age of Hughes, Rush, Blackmore, Speed, Ratcliffe, Southall not to mention Mickey Thomas. It could be argued Rob Jones and Michael Owen came from that crop.

The HJ era has produced Jazz Richards, Ben Davies, Connor Roberts, Joe Allen and now Rodon. Cabango is from further afield but then Curtis and Bowen were from Rhondda. I am proud of the club for actually being an holistic benefit to the city by giving 100 s of teenagers a shot at the big time. The people trashed by the fans built the acamedy and spent money on sending young talents on tours to South Africa and more recently California with the u13 s to help them deveop as good players and people. They had no obligation to do this and could have put that money in their pockets.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2020 13:16]

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 14:03 - Nov 7 with 2957 viewsChief

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 11:51 - Nov 7 by ReslovenSwan1

****RANDOM UNJUSTIFIED DIG AT SUPPORTERS TRUST ALERT****

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 14:07 - Nov 7 with 2948 viewsChief

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 13:14 - Nov 7 by ReslovenSwan1

My recollections start with Tosahack era. James and Curtis were already experienced pros by then having played in all four divisions. No disrespect to them obviously. I hold then in very high regard. The club at that time was not in a good state before Stuel and Toshack. Producing James and Curtis and Charles over two decades it that so great? Marustik and Dudley Lewis wee good pros. Stevenson had a good career.

After that there was very barren period, Coleman, Melville, Pascoe and Jason Bowen until the HJ era. In the same peirod the Wrexham Flint era had a golden age of Hughes, Rush, Blackmore, Speed, Ratcliffe, Southall not to mention Mickey Thomas. It could be argued Rob Jones and Michael Owen came from that crop.

The HJ era has produced Jazz Richards, Ben Davies, Connor Roberts, Joe Allen and now Rodon. Cabango is from further afield but then Curtis and Bowen were from Rhondda. I am proud of the club for actually being an holistic benefit to the city by giving 100 s of teenagers a shot at the big time. The people trashed by the fans built the acamedy and spent money on sending young talents on tours to South Africa and more recently California with the u13 s to help them deveop as good players and people. They had no obligation to do this and could have put that money in their pockets.

Should we mention here that our current owners have taken the decision to downgrade the academy and leave it descend into a state of 'dereliction'?

For the sake of balance like

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 14:34 - Nov 7 with 2926 viewsjasper_T

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 14:07 - Nov 7 by Chief

Should we mention here that our current owners have taken the decision to downgrade the academy and leave it descend into a state of 'dereliction'?

For the sake of balance like

Cat 2 isn't derelict.
Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 14:49 - Nov 7 with 2908 viewsChief

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 14:34 - Nov 7 by jasper_T

Cat 2 isn't derelict.

I know. Not my words.

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 17:32 - Nov 7 with 2861 viewsBillyChong

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 13:14 - Nov 7 by ReslovenSwan1

Morgan did put some of that money in his pocket via Jaxxbay Ltd, or whatever the scam was called
Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 17:33 - Nov 7 with 2860 viewsBillyChong

PS Sheehan would probably point out he’s from Burry Port
Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 18:37 - Nov 7 with 2842 viewsChief

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 17:33 - Nov 7 by BillyChong

PS Sheehan would probably point out he’s from Burry Port

Pembrey I think.

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 18:38 - Nov 7 with 2842 viewsCatullus

Toshack took over from Harry Griffiths, at that point none of our players had played in all four divisions. Do some research mun!

PS, many people blame Struel for the financial mess that crippled the club for almost 20 years which included us being formally wound up on 20th December 1985, that saw us plummet back down the divisions and contributed to us not producing good young players. That ended with Tony Petty, the bankruptcy and the fans takeover.

Other opinions will be different.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 19:00 - Nov 7 with 2827 viewstheloneranger

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 11:37 - Nov 7 by Catullus

You forgot Mr Swansea,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/rags-to-riches-story-welsh-superst

That's quite incredible, 7 boys from the same street playing for Wales.

Mel Nurse wasn't at the 1958 World Cup.

Mel was actually born in Fforestfach, and moved to Alice Street when he was very young. His Alice Street footballing neighbours were ...

John Charles, Mel Charles, Ernie Jones and Jackie Roberts.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 20:07 - Nov 7 with 2809 viewsReslovenSwan1

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 14:49 - Nov 7 by Chief

I know. Not my words.

Yes my words. Dereliction of the academy is likely to occur in the event the court orders the clubs other owners to pay up to £25m for the Trust s shares within a few weeks after a Trust win in court.

The Welsh non conformists of the Trust could claim "a high moral victory against US free market capitalism and their local Welsh lackies and a victory for the little man",

Unfortuantely 12 year old kids will be turned away crying at the gates of the Cat 2 academy when it is shut down and told they will have to take their chances at Cardiff city or Bristol City. They will be told times are bad and many more reduncancies have also been announced at the club. They do not like to think too far ahead in the Trust.

Santander will be delighted after agreeing to accept £12m into the Trusts account at 0.15% for 10 years and the champaign corks will be popping somewhere in Hammersmith as the funders pick up a cool £8m in fees.

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 20:36 - Nov 7 with 2801 viewsKilkennyjack

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 20:07 - Nov 7 by ReslovenSwan1

Yes my words. Dereliction of the academy is likely to occur in the event the court orders the clubs other owners to pay up to £25m for the Trust s shares within a few weeks after a Trust win in court.

The Welsh non conformists of the Trust could claim "a high moral victory against US free market capitalism and their local Welsh lackies and a victory for the little man",

Unfortuantely 12 year old kids will be turned away crying at the gates of the Cat 2 academy when it is shut down and told they will have to take their chances at Cardiff city or Bristol City. They will be told times are bad and many more reduncancies have also been announced at the club. They do not like to think too far ahead in the Trust.

Santander will be delighted after agreeing to accept £12m into the Trusts account at 0.15% for 10 years and the champaign corks will be popping somewhere in Hammersmith as the funders pick up a cool £8m in fees.

Well a judge will decide if the Trust have a case.
Surely nobody is suggesting the law should not apply...?

Lets be honest, the local lads factory was lost when Alan Curtis was replaced by David Moss.

Jazz, Joey, Macca, and Ben all came through in rapid order without Cat 2. Also Grimes.
Roberts and Rodon were in the then CoE system already.

The value for money for the Academy may well have cost us our Premier League staus.
Produced nobody that helped in the Prem, save Roberts last 6 games.

Credit for the James and McBurnie ‘steals’ is due.

However, why would you build a split site Academy with no way of sustaining its funding if relegation ever happened.
Relegation was as inevitable as it could be.

Beware of the Risen People

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 21:05 - Nov 7 with 2792 viewsChief

Sheehan - Another ex swansea city player who hails from llanelli on 20:07 - Nov 7 by ReslovenSwan1

If the Americans choose to neglect the club's assets (which they are majority owners of) they'd be extremely stupid and would have no one to blame but themselves.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024