Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the ageing Punks on here... 13:09 - Jan 4 with 3325 viewsLohengrin

Terrible bloody racket but some of you seem to like it...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 13:12 - Jan 4 with 2596 viewsonehunglow

Three chords is ok Loh but I like a little melody myself and a pleasant timbre of voice but chaq'un a son gout

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 13:35 - Jan 4 with 2582 viewsHighjack

I imagine all punks are ageing these days.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 13:40 - Jan 4 with 2576 viewsWingstandwood

I borrowed an LP of The Crass out of curiosity and have never heard anything like it!

Every song sounded exactly the same as the previous one, the vocalist just seemed to be angrily shouting as opposed to singing, there were no tunes as such, nothing catchy that you could sing, whistle or hum before, during or after.

There seemed to be no quality control, no production values, no finesse, no overdubs, no tender loving care in a 24 track studio, one take on a 4 track portable in a garage more like..........Just noise!.....But I guess that is what is was all about, sending out some kind of message and that message being far more important than the music itself.

A Marmite group that did seem to be rather popular, cos the groups name was sprayed everywhere and seemed to be on every passing punks leather jacket in Swansea City centre.

Argus!

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 13:51 - Jan 4 with 2562 viewsCatullus

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 13:40 - Jan 4 by Wingstandwood

I borrowed an LP of The Crass out of curiosity and have never heard anything like it!

Every song sounded exactly the same as the previous one, the vocalist just seemed to be angrily shouting as opposed to singing, there were no tunes as such, nothing catchy that you could sing, whistle or hum before, during or after.

There seemed to be no quality control, no production values, no finesse, no overdubs, no tender loving care in a 24 track studio, one take on a 4 track portable in a garage more like..........Just noise!.....But I guess that is what is was all about, sending out some kind of message and that message being far more important than the music itself.

A Marmite group that did seem to be rather popular, cos the groups name was sprayed everywhere and seemed to be on every passing punks leather jacket in Swansea City centre.

I wasn't paying attention then because I never noticed them. I used to like SLF though,

Seems apt for on here....

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 14:05 - Jan 4 with 2559 viewsWingstandwood

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 13:51 - Jan 4 by Catullus

I wasn't paying attention then because I never noticed them. I used to like SLF though,

Songs from SLF and others e.g. Alternative Ulster, Pretty Vacant, London Calling, Hong Kong Garden, Blitzkrieg Bop,etc did have a certain memorable quality. Sadly I cannot remember anything by The Crass.

There again attitude may be more important along with lesser artistry i.e. total opposite of choreographed disco dancing seen in Saturday Night Fever. The punk influence lives on i.e. the standard of music and dancing at 11:10s in the video sort of says that? Who needs fly spray?

Argus!

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:33 - Jan 4 with 2498 viewsFieryJack

I saw a punk band in St Phillips' around this time, but it wasn't Crass. Think it was local boys.

Loved the chaos.

The crunching chords and uncontrolled keening feedback used to give me goosebumps.

What I didn't like about the whole punk scene was the lie that it was somehow "democratic", working class, DIY, and inclusive.

Within a short time it became overrun with preening, middle class poseurs, full of exclusive cliques who'd frown disdainfully at you if you weren't wearing the right gear. The Cure and Siouxsie Souix spring to mind.

Hardly surprising when you consider people like Malcolm McClaren and Vivienne Westwood were 2 of the driving forces behind it.

Alternative TV and The Fall distanced themselves from that kind of degeneracy.
One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:34 - Jan 4 with 2493 viewsonehunglow

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:33 - Jan 4 by FieryJack

I saw a punk band in St Phillips' around this time, but it wasn't Crass. Think it was local boys.

Loved the chaos.

The crunching chords and uncontrolled keening feedback used to give me goosebumps.

What I didn't like about the whole punk scene was the lie that it was somehow "democratic", working class, DIY, and inclusive.

Within a short time it became overrun with preening, middle class poseurs, full of exclusive cliques who'd frown disdainfully at you if you weren't wearing the right gear. The Cure and Siouxsie Souix spring to mind.

Hardly surprising when you consider people like Malcolm McClaren and Vivienne Westwood were 2 of the driving forces behind it.

You weren't one for the Carpenters then ,fiery

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:35 - Jan 4 with 2492 viewsTreforys_Jack

So what
Login to get fewer ads

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:42 - Jan 4 with 2485 viewsonehunglow

Tref.
Could you have ala look at the Msg I sent you

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:44 - Jan 4 with 2484 viewsProfessor

Loved the chaos.

Two very working class bands there fiery. I think you hit an interesting distinction which I always thought was clear between the middle-class The Cure and the more working class of Joy Division/New Order. Whilst I like the Cure, never felt as true or as visceral as JD/NO, The Fall or later on The Smiths, or even Matt Johnson/The The.

Some great podcasts/documentaries out there-Transmissions (JD/NO) and one on The Clash narrated by Chuck D. Would love a Fall one. Could interview the 100,000 ex-members.
One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:49 - Jan 4 with 2481 viewsonehunglow

You been away Paul?

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:59 - Jan 4 with 2476 viewsProfessor

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:49 - Jan 4 by onehunglow

You been away Paul?

Busy Rich

Trying to write a record a new batch of teaching material in a rush as someone left recently. A few health and safety issues to deal with in relation to clinical teaching and Covid and a serious accident on one of the farms not helping my humour.

Hope all is well with you and yours.
One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:04 - Jan 4 with 2470 viewsonehunglow

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:59 - Jan 4 by Professor

Busy Rich

Trying to write a record a new batch of teaching material in a rush as someone left recently. A few health and safety issues to deal with in relation to clinical teaching and Covid and a serious accident on one of the farms not helping my humour.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Touch wood.Wish could say the same about being busy.

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:10 - Jan 4 with 2469 viewsKeithHaynes

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 13:35 - Jan 4 by Highjack

I imagine all punks are ageing these days.

I hated crass, but looking back i see their value in the uk music scene. I love conflict. I was at this gig, it was mad. People do go on about three chords and punk rock, mostly untrue, the pistols as an example were heralded as cant play. Then in recent years the worlds top musicians have reviewed it and stated they were well beyond their time. I think that was on one of those famous albums breakdowns you can still find on certain channels. Steve Jones the guitarist is revered as one of the worlds best rock guitarists.

Dont forget these bands were kids moistly, DIY ethic, and the music scene was either petrified of them or just tried to ignore them. It didnt work. The stamp the music alone left on the world scene was massive.

HighJack, punks from all over the world converge on The Rebellion festival UK each year, aged 14 to 75, thousands of punters. Its a cracking four days.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:11 - Jan 4 with 2468 viewsKeithHaynes

As good today LIVE as ever.

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:14 - Jan 4 with 2463 viewsKeithHaynes

Loved the chaos.

Tyrone Thomas the guitarist in ATV is from Crundale, Haverfordwest, my cousin. Swans fan.
Was in the band for first three singles etc, now back with them.

I was at the Venom gig at st Philips way back, local punk oi band. That was mental too. Got some photos somewhere.

This post has been edited by an administrator

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:17 - Jan 4 with 2460 viewsonehunglow

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:10 - Jan 4 by KeithHaynes

I hated crass, but looking back i see their value in the uk music scene. I love conflict. I was at this gig, it was mad. People do go on about three chords and punk rock, mostly untrue, the pistols as an example were heralded as cant play. Then in recent years the worlds top musicians have reviewed it and stated they were well beyond their time. I think that was on one of those famous albums breakdowns you can still find on certain channels. Steve Jones the guitarist is revered as one of the worlds best rock guitarists.

Dont forget these bands were kids moistly, DIY ethic, and the music scene was either petrified of them or just tried to ignore them. It didnt work. The stamp the music alone left on the world scene was massive.

HighJack, punks from all over the world converge on The Rebellion festival UK each year, aged 14 to 75, thousands of punters. Its a cracking four days.

I would love to take issue Keith as regards The Pistols and musicality but I dont want a ban as I would then be lonesome as Hank.

I did say,nothing the matter with 3 chords. Most classic rock /blues is ;it's about how an instrument is played. It' s why the likes of BB King and Chuck Berry are so revered for all time as they kept it simple but took the basics and wrapped them in their own style.

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:19 - Jan 4 with 2454 viewsKeithHaynes

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:17 - Jan 4 by onehunglow

I would love to take issue Keith as regards The Pistols and musicality but I dont want a ban as I would then be lonesome as Hank.

I did say,nothing the matter with 3 chords. Most classic rock /blues is ;it's about how an instrument is played. It' s why the likes of BB King and Chuck Berry are so revered for all time as they kept it simple but took the basics and wrapped them in their own style.

Noise Annoys :-}

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:26 - Jan 4 with 2444 viewsProfessor

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:19 - Jan 4 by KeithHaynes

Noise Annoys :-}

One of the greatest 'B' sides ever! Though I think 'Autonomy" just edges it.
One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:27 - Jan 4 with 2434 viewsSwanjaxs

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 16:42 - Jan 4 by onehunglow

Tref.
Could you have ala look at the Msg I sent you

Ooo your in trouble TJ 😯😂

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:33 - Jan 4 with 2430 viewsFieryJack

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:14 - Jan 4 by KeithHaynes

Tyrone Thomas the guitarist in ATV is from Crundale, Haverfordwest, my cousin. Swans fan.
Was in the band for first three singles etc, now back with them.

I was at the Venom gig at st Philips way back, local punk oi band. That was mental too. Got some photos somewhere.

Think it was Venom I saw there. Name rings a bell.

Did they ever play downstairs in the Coach and Horses on Wind Street?
One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:38 - Jan 4 with 2424 viewsTreforys_Jack

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:27 - Jan 4 by Swanjaxs

Ooo your in trouble TJ 😯😂

I never open pm's jaxxy, its usually angry jack or similar threatening to bash me up.
One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:55 - Jan 4 with 2418 viewsNortbankboy

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:33 - Jan 4 by FieryJack

Yes snakey lead singer
One for the ageing Punks on here... on 18:03 - Jan 4 with 2413 viewsKeithHaynes

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:55 - Jan 4 by Nortbankboy

Yes snakey lead singer

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 18:06 - Jan 4 with 2405 viewsKeithHaynes

One for the ageing Punks on here... on 17:33 - Jan 4 by FieryJack

Not sure, my lot did way back in 1981 ish. Rammed, and I think thats about 50.

Just before our uk tour with uk subs then king kurt. Name drop like.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024