Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread THE AFTERMATH 21:09 - Feb 28 with 16183 viewsNotLoyal

It’s another exciting encounter in the EFL Championship, and it’s very exciting too. Here is the Matchday thread for this exciting game, it’s really interesting.

EFL Championship
Stripey Hoof Stadium
Wednesday March 3rd 2021
Kick off 8.15pm

Match Officials
DAVID WEBB
Ian Cooper and Daniel Leach
Fourth Official : Marc Edwards

TELEVISION

This game will be shown LIVE on SKY SPORTS football

The Graeme Potters and the Super Swans face off again in ( C’mon ) Stoke. Not the best of hunting grounds for the swans over the years and especially after recent results, there are easier places to go. Like Canterbury for instance, the cathedral there allows access to get some lovely graveside rubbings done. On the plus side during Cooper’s last post match press gathering he had the look of a man who had already had his face rubbed with a rubby thing or whatever they use to do these things.

History
Stoke City v Swansea City

Games won: 30. Stoke City are in the ascendancy here
Games drawn: 21. Neither side has drawn more than the other
Games lost: 24. Or should we say games won by Swansea

There are other considerable and memorable moments in history, not necessarily related to this fixture, just in history itself. The Chinese are allegedly the First Nation to invent the grape, that was around 7000 years BC ( Before Cooper ) although that would be 9,000 years BC ? In any event photographs from back then show grapes being sold in markets and fermented in to wine. It is now known by crossing a very small balloon and a drop of water the grape is made. Cleaver folk the Chinese. That may lead me on to who invented the balloon, but not in this particular thread.

A picture of the first grapes discovered by Chinese people way back before TV and motorised teeth

Incredible when you think that at no time have they featured on a takeaway menu. I’ll mention it next time I’m down my local takeaway the ‘Thai Tanic’ although it’s more favourable the guys who run ‘Chipsy Kings’ will be more responsive. My favourite takeaway in my neck of the woods is ‘For cod and for Ulcer’ over in the red, white and blue part of town. Great battered sausages. Although I’m a vegan, if I wasn’t they would be on my menu, but they aren’t. If it had a face and you eat it you are a part of the problem, not the solution, especially for pigs.

A pig yesterday

Stoke City Facts
Stoke City have had to put up with several rugby references over the years, so much so the football league now allow them to run whilst carrying the ball.

A Stoke player in action in the past, see how he glides with the ball in one hand ?

Pre-match trivia

Stoke are unbeaten in their last nine home league games against Swansea (W7 D2), winning each of their last four in a row.

Swansea last completed a league double over Stoke back in 2000-01 in the third tier.

Stoke have lost their last two games in the Championship, while they have only lost three in a row in the competition once previously under Michael O’Neill (in December 2019).

Swansea have suffered defeats in two of their last three Championship games (W1), as many defeats as they had in their previous 17 league games combined.

Both of Stoke boss Michael O’Neill’s previous Championship games against Swansea have ended 2-0, with Stoke winning one and losing the other. Their 2-0 victory did come in this exact fixture last season, however.

Match Report

Stoke City 1 Swansea City 2 : Persistence, Desire, Energy and all in the last twenty minutes ! 3rd Mar 2021 23:32
It was exasperating at times, but the swans really did grind out a terrific win in the potteries after a late penalty secured the three points for Cooper’s army. After such a deflating run of games and conceding seven goals in the last two games the swans are three points closer to securing a play off spot with second place in their sights. 0

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 17:07 - Mar 2 with 1319 viewsvetchonian

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 16:56 - Mar 2 by onehunglow

It's not optimisml,it's internet drivel.No fans is enjoying us right now.All are concerned/worried/pyssed off.Those that arent can simply fade away.
You can,as a fan,be as optmistic/poitive a you like .but it is the player and managers that do the job we'd all love.

I really do think people should visit RObins tv and re watch Saturdays game in full.

I have and it shows to me that
1. The performance was an overall improvement to the previous 2 games
2. Whilst we were made to work harder in the second half due to that superior tactical change we still played quite a lot of decent football but like the first half couldnt convert the chances.
3. Brsitol City did not control the 2nd half and run rampant we gifted them 2 goals either side of Palmer repeating what Houli did for us against Coventry.

It would do folks good to watch it and then understand what is really hapening but I know I will get shouted down for this but the underlying issue is most cannot wait to get on Coopers back when we lose....We didnt sit back when 1 up though Grimes did slow things down...we kept on attacking with intent.

The scoreline was not a true reflection of the performance..what most on here lack is perspective. At the end of the day we all are entitled to our opinions we will not all agree but sometimes its best to back those opinions with evidence.So go on watch the game again and lets see if you think Pearson really outhought Cooper or did we self destruct through gifting goals and not taaking our chances....we still created some in the second half! Even though supposedly Brsitol City took control!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 17:27 - Mar 2 with 1295 viewsonehunglow

So we move on.

Now then, McClean.

Please Gpd ,he doesn't shaft us again.

A tricky place to play especially when the Potters are giving it large. Not the best to visit either as no real pubs nearby.
There is one half a mile away called the Gardeners .Ok as long as you keep schtum.Pictures of Stan on the walls.

Potters are the most grounded ,working class people one could meet btw.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 18:02 - Mar 2 with 1282 viewsChief

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 17:27 - Mar 2 by onehunglow

So we move on.

Now then, McClean.

Please Gpd ,he doesn't shaft us again.

A tricky place to play especially when the Potters are giving it large. Not the best to visit either as no real pubs nearby.
There is one half a mile away called the Gardeners .Ok as long as you keep schtum.Pictures of Stan on the walls.

Potters are the most grounded ,working class people one could meet btw.

McLean is out injured

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 18:07 - Mar 2 with 1279 viewsChief

As is Clucas apparently along with a few others like Welsh boys Fox, Davies, Matondo.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 18:13 - Mar 2 with 1275 viewsKeithHaynes

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 18:07 - Mar 2 by Chief

As is Clucas apparently along with a few others like Welsh boys Fox, Davies, Matondo.

Loads missing, Clucas scored loads last season for his position. Eleven I think with assists too.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 18:58 - Mar 2 with 1249 viewsAndyCole

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 17:07 - Mar 2 by vetchonian

I really do think people should visit RObins tv and re watch Saturdays game in full.

2. Whilst we were made to work harder in the second half due to that superior tactical change we still played quite a lot of decent football but like the first half couldnt convert the chances.
3. Brsitol City did not control the 2nd half and run rampant we gifted them 2 goals either side of Palmer repeating what Houli did for us against Coventry.

It would do folks good to watch it and then understand what is really hapening but I know I will get shouted down for this but the underlying issue is most cannot wait to get on Coopers back when we lose....We didnt sit back when 1 up though Grimes did slow things down...we kept on attacking with intent.

The scoreline was not a true reflection of the performance..what most on here lack is perspective. At the end of the day we all are entitled to our opinions we will not all agree but sometimes its best to back those opinions with evidence.So go on watch the game again and lets see if you think Pearson really outhought Cooper or did we self destruct through gifting goals and not taaking our chances....we still created some in the second half! Even though supposedly Brsitol City took control!

You talk so much more sense than the detractors, backed up with common sense facts.

Bristol did a similar job on Boro - where Warnock outfoxed Pearson bar some calamitous defending, and lost 1-3. Ditto us, where Cooper completely destroyed Pearson 1st half where even our die hard les miserables posters said we were excellent. Men vs Boys, in so many ways.

Bristol had the same line up and formation in both games. Pre match many of us watched the highlights of the Boro game and the consensus was we could hope to scrape a 1-0 win. Yet Cooper fair play, set-up to not just snatch a 1-0, but took the game to them and smashed them mercilessly (well, almost) until they did a smash and grab (as per Boro game).

So many lessons learned and one of the biggest is how ridiculously well we played for the most part, sublime stuff.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : MONDAY MONDAY ! on 22:24 - Mar 2 with 1153 viewsAndyCole

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : MONDAY MONDAY ! on 09:50 - Mar 2 by onehunglow

No AC ,it is what we are seeing.
A team that is slow in thought and deed not being motivated by the manager who stands motionless on the touchline.This is not an illusion.

My comments are as valid as anyone elses and about as useful. We simply confine this to this forum and that' s fine so let's kill, right ,now any thought that it upsets,affects or has any effect on the team or club ,come to that. Cooper,with his comment about tiredness proves the point he really does only care about Steve and Steve alone.

The pitiful love for Cooper is embarrassing and I really feel for the players as they are clearly being hung out to dry.

There will again be a mass clear out come end of season and another posse of loans/kids/ brought in to somehow get it all together.
We have no long term plan to get back to the Prem,no matter the owners say .This years we are lucky to be in the putative candidates to go up.

Your comments are most probably way more valid than most, with your long-term heritage and grasp of the DNA of our club. Respect.

I don't see pitiful love for our manager. I see far too many irrational, (stupid, even)detractors to our cause than supporters. Far too many that shout loudest when we we're struggling, and seem to gloat when lose. WTF ?

Some posters even admit freely to "enjoy a moan, that's what this forum is for". What a sad way to live. What a sad example to set for the young guns.

One of the very best posters recently is LittleEnglandJack. New, young poster who is doing his darndest to support our club. Yet is smacked back at every turn by some of our twpest. Shame on them, and warra shame.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : MONDAY MONDAY ! on 22:46 - Mar 2 with 1148 viewsFireboy2

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : MONDAY MONDAY ! on 22:24 - Mar 2 by AndyCole

Your comments are most probably way more valid than most, with your long-term heritage and grasp of the DNA of our club. Respect.

I don't see pitiful love for our manager. I see far too many irrational, (stupid, even)detractors to our cause than supporters. Far too many that shout loudest when we we're struggling, and seem to gloat when lose. WTF ?

Some posters even admit freely to "enjoy a moan, that's what this forum is for". What a sad way to live. What a sad example to set for the young guns.

One of the very best posters recently is LittleEnglandJack. New, young poster who is doing his darndest to support our club. Yet is smacked back at every turn by some of our twpest. Shame on them, and warra shame.

You are getting very boring now.

You call people who moan yet you love to come on and moan about them moaning.

You couldn't make it up.

I bet you love the sound of your own voice.
Login to get fewer ads

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 09:32 - Mar 3 with 1066 viewsraynor94

Don't think we can afford a loss tonight, we need to get the show back on the road.

Come on lads, time to stand up and be counted

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 09:42 - Mar 3 with 1061 viewsjackrabbit

I just want us to see the same quality football I saw on Saturday in the first half - football which should have resulted in 2 or 3 goals but didn’t. So I’d like to see Lowe rested to play the young lad, Whittaker who scored against Man City recently. Lowe looks a yard off the pace physically and mentally recently.
I’d also like to see us break more quickly and not pass sideways and backwards so much. The first goal against on Saturday was the result of some unnecessary faffing about passing sideways instead of forward to a player in space on the wing. We got our desserts from that bit of nonsense.
Give Hamer a go in goal if that’ll give us more solidity at the back - that remains to be seen. I think Woodman has done a good job for us this season in general but when a ‘keeper has a bad game it tends to be visible! And Woodman has had better days than he did on Saturday.
It would also be good to see Ayew back to his scintillating best - he looks a bit stale. And Hourihane must be due a goal - he hasn’t scored in the last 2 games, and not had an assist since the game before last. Shocking productivity.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 9:43]
Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : MONDAY MONDAY ! on 10:11 - Mar 3 with 1041 viewsonehunglow

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : MONDAY MONDAY ! on 22:46 - Mar 2 by Fireboy2

You are getting very boring now.

You call people who moan yet you love to come on and moan about them moaning.

You couldn't make it up.

I bet you love the sound of your own voice.

Well,he doesn't bore me Champ.
We disagree YET he remains respectful of my cluele.

What you couldn't make up is the co-ordinated attacks on the few with the guts to say it as it is.

And AC,,for me,it is pitiful to love a manager who very soon will be off;his comment regarding tirednes are exactly what makes him ,for me anyway,undesirable.

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 10:15 - Mar 3 with 1036 viewsonehunglow

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 09:42 - Mar 3 by jackrabbit

I just want us to see the same quality football I saw on Saturday in the first half - football which should have resulted in 2 or 3 goals but didn’t. So I’d like to see Lowe rested to play the young lad, Whittaker who scored against Man City recently. Lowe looks a yard off the pace physically and mentally recently.
I’d also like to see us break more quickly and not pass sideways and backwards so much. The first goal against on Saturday was the result of some unnecessary faffing about passing sideways instead of forward to a player in space on the wing. We got our desserts from that bit of nonsense.
Give Hamer a go in goal if that’ll give us more solidity at the back - that remains to be seen. I think Woodman has done a good job for us this season in general but when a ‘keeper has a bad game it tends to be visible! And Woodman has had better days than he did on Saturday.
It would also be good to see Ayew back to his scintillating best - he looks a bit stale. And Hourihane must be due a goal - he hasn’t scored in the last 2 games, and not had an assist since the game before last. Shocking productivity.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 9:43]

At last.
Teams need tempo .Woody gives us zero as often our full backs are immediately under pressure with his distribution. Look.

Ayew looks stale because he is and it is so because he has played so many games .No player can keep him the highest standards in every game in a season . Has he ever been subbed at all?

This is down to manager

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 10:15 - Mar 3 with 1039 viewsvetchonian

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 09:32 - Mar 3 by raynor94

Don't think we can afford a loss tonight, we need to get the show back on the road.

Come on lads, time to stand up and be counted

which raises the question which is more important results or performances of entertaining football?

Saturday saw us play in the way most fans appreciate and demand/expect following the days of Martinez,Rodgers and Laudrup...yet the result went against us?

Will people be happy if we are more pragmatic and win.........or play pretty and lose?

Ideally it would be good to play pretty and win which if we could finish would have been the outcome of Saturdays game despite Pearsons switch.
That game and Cardiffs win last night scoring 4 goals with only 27% possesion shows pretty possesion football doesnt always get results!...THough Id rather watch that than hoof ball!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 10:37]

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 10:34 - Mar 3 with 1030 viewsvetchonian

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 10:15 - Mar 3 by onehunglow

At last.
Teams need tempo .Woody gives us zero as often our full backs are immediately under pressure with his distribution. Look.

Ayew looks stale because he is and it is so because he has played so many games .No player can keep him the highest standards in every game in a season . Has he ever been subbed at all?

This is down to manager

Not sure if he has been subbed but has been rested for at least one game,plus we missed the Sheffield Wed fixture

Resting proffesional fooballers, Im sure the squad from 40 years ago that got us to the old First Division are scoffing at this fatique and rest malarky. No such thing as squad roation, oly one sub, heavy pitches not the carperts they play on now in boots as light as carpert slippers and we had the addition of Welsh cup games too which we usually won or got to the final..often playing ....and I say this with the greatest of respect....teams which were mostly cloggers kicking lumps out of us....

For me its nonsense pro footballers nable to cope with 180 mins of graft per week and even then they are not constantly at "full stretch/work rate" for 90 mins of a game!

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 10:45 - Mar 3 with 1019 viewsThornburyswan

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 17:07 - Mar 2 by vetchonian

Some good points there Vetch & I tend to agree that if we play like we did for the first 50/60 minutes we’ll win more than we lose & will at least qualify for the play-offs.

That said we have a few games coming up that will test our mettle, right now I’m thinking tonight’s Stoke away & then ‘Boro (H) and Blackburn (A) that throw different challenges at us in terms of experienced teams/managers - we then finish this month with two of the toughest of our remaining matches at Bournemouth & Cardiff at our place (interesting to note that they won 4-0 last time from only 27% possession!).

If we collect anywhere close to 9/10 points from those 5 games we should be well placed for the run in during April & May.
Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 10:52 - Mar 3 with 1016 viewsjackrabbit

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 10:34 - Mar 3 by vetchonian

Not sure if he has been subbed but has been rested for at least one game,plus we missed the Sheffield Wed fixture

Resting proffesional fooballers, Im sure the squad from 40 years ago that got us to the old First Division are scoffing at this fatique and rest malarky. No such thing as squad roation, oly one sub, heavy pitches not the carperts they play on now in boots as light as carpert slippers and we had the addition of Welsh cup games too which we usually won or got to the final..often playing ....and I say this with the greatest of respect....teams which were mostly cloggers kicking lumps out of us....

For me its nonsense pro footballers nable to cope with 180 mins of graft per week and even then they are not constantly at "full stretch/work rate" for 90 mins of a game!

Hear! Hear!

When I was in my 20s I used to play rugby on Saturday afternoon, and if I could still walk unaided, would play Sunday League football the following morning.

No, local league is not the Championship but 20+ year old bodies are pliant, resilient and bursting with energy. Two games of football a week? Herbie Williams wouldn’t have blinked!

Fatigue, my arse.
Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 11:03 - Mar 3 with 998 viewsonehunglow

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 10:52 - Mar 3 by jackrabbit

Hear! Hear!

When I was in my 20s I used to play rugby on Saturday afternoon, and if I could still walk unaided, would play Sunday League football the following morning.

No, local league is not the Championship but 20+ year old bodies are pliant, resilient and bursting with energy. Two games of football a week? Herbie Williams wouldn’t have blinked!

Fatigue, my arse.

But it is true.
The game is faster for a start.
The players of yore wouldnt have been able to have a cup of tea and a fag at half time and then go out and play at the pace of todays football,especially premier league.

It's a fact of modern day life.

Years ago,,men came up from a Yorkshire pit and then get changed changed to play rugby league and union. But that game is faster now too

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 11:20 - Mar 3 with 995 viewsvetchonian

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 11:03 - Mar 3 by onehunglow

But it is true.
The game is faster for a start.
The players of yore wouldnt have been able to have a cup of tea and a fag at half time and then go out and play at the pace of todays football,especially premier league.

It's a fact of modern day life.

Years ago,,men came up from a Yorkshire pit and then get changed changed to play rugby league and union. But that game is faster now too

And todays players are watched over by sports scientists, dietiticans,have recovery facilities , massages etc after training....not like then when after training often on the sand on the beach it was a shower or bath then up to the Union Cafe for a fry up, etc..so whilst the pace of the game has changed the facilities, support and looking after the players has changed too!

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 11:23 - Mar 3 with 990 viewsonehunglow

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : Updated TODAY 5.30pm on 11:20 - Mar 3 by vetchonian

And todays players are watched over by sports scientists, dietiticans,have recovery facilities , massages etc after training....not like then when after training often on the sand on the beach it was a shower or bath then up to the Union Cafe for a fry up, etc..so whilst the pace of the game has changed the facilities, support and looking after the players has changed too!

True and also free of the dramas of social media

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : PRE MATCH CHAT on 12:49 - Mar 3 with 949 viewsKGriz16

Will we see any change tonight? I'm mulling on the idea of that midfield three (only part Cooper rotates). Fulton back for Dhanda surely. I wouldn't mind seeing Hourihane dropped for Smith as well. Let's get back to the solid three that gave us a platform to build on. Good win tonight, and a Brentford loss and this train will be on the move again! come on CITY!
Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : PRE MATCH CHAT on 12:58 - Mar 3 with 938 viewsonehunglow

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : PRE MATCH CHAT on 12:49 - Mar 3 by KGriz16

Will we see any change tonight? I'm mulling on the idea of that midfield three (only part Cooper rotates). Fulton back for Dhanda surely. I wouldn't mind seeing Hourihane dropped for Smith as well. Let's get back to the solid three that gave us a platform to build on. Good win tonight, and a Brentford loss and this train will be on the move again! come on CITY!

Hoodie is a passenger albeit one in first class compartment.

Absolutely Smith should start as should Whittaker .

Hollie and Ayew benched . Cooper wouldn’t dare

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 13:50 - Mar 3 with 898 viewsA_Fans_Dad

A re-write from non rose coloured glasses.
We played pretty football, they sat back and soaked up the pressure, we managed to score once.
They came at us in the second half with pressure, closing us down and scored 2 easyish goals.
They then reverted to first half play, sat back and soaked up the pressure from our pretty play. I sem to remember a game against Soton where we did the same, but with a single goal, smash & grab.
Bottom line, they won and we lost.
The whole point of any sport is to win, pretty play is only any good, even though it is nice to watch, if it converts to goals.
Unfortunately our more prolific scorers have lost their shooting boots.
Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : PRE MATCH CHAT on 13:58 - Mar 3 with 893 viewsLittleEnglandJack

Right then, It's matchday and I'm venturing back into the melee of the football forum after a bit of a sabbatical following our immensely frustrating defeat on Saturday.

This one will be test of Cooper's management ability, as I imagine Saturday may have badly knocked confidence. We need to put the 2nd half of the Bristol game out of our minds and focus on how well we played in the first half. Stoke won't be as poor as Bristol were, but if we play like that over 90 mins we're almost certain to win, simple as that.

Unfortunately away at Stoke is probably one of the last fixtures I'd have picked to have in this context as we virtually never get anything there. I'm not sure I can even remember us picking up more than a point?

I hope we'll see the return of Fulton-Smith-Grimes, to give us a bit of that solidity we've been missing, especially if Bennett is still out. I'm still in the camp of giving Whittaker a chance, as he's young and (I assume) hungry and I think we've been missing a bit of that in offensive situations. If Cullen was fit, I'd be advocating starting him. There's a case for dropping either Ayew or Lowe.

Overall, I'm not spectacularly confident and would take a point right now if you offered it to me. Steady the ship and go and take the game to Boro at home on Saturday.
Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 14:01 - Mar 3 with 888 viewsvetchonian

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : THE EVE OF THE GAME on 13:50 - Mar 3 by A_Fans_Dad

A re-write from non rose coloured glasses.
We played pretty football, they sat back and soaked up the pressure, we managed to score once.
They came at us in the second half with pressure, closing us down and scored 2 easyish goals.
They then reverted to first half play, sat back and soaked up the pressure from our pretty play. I sem to remember a game against Soton where we did the same, but with a single goal, smash & grab.
Bottom line, they won and we lost.
The whole point of any sport is to win, pretty play is only any good, even though it is nice to watch, if it converts to goals.
Unfortunately our more prolific scorers have lost their shooting boots.

Im with you on the sentiment of your post....if you look I have added some posts today questioning results V performance and the definition of performance.

I am in agrrement pretty football is only "good" if it delivers reuslts.

The post you are replying to was my reposte to those who were spouting how Pearson outsmarted Cooper...if he had we wouldnt have gone 1 nil up.
You are right they scored 2 easyish goals the first of which we gifted them.....had that not happened I am sure the result would have been different...though I am not sure they just "soaked up the pressure from our pretty play"... Arriola should have equalised when we were 2 down! They were looking panicy in defence at times too.

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : PRE MATCH CHAT on 14:15 - Mar 3 with 880 viewstheloneranger

Stoke City v Swansea City : Matchday Thread : PRE MATCH CHAT on 13:58 - Mar 3 by LittleEnglandJack

Right then, It's matchday and I'm venturing back into the melee of the football forum after a bit of a sabbatical following our immensely frustrating defeat on Saturday.

This one will be test of Cooper's management ability, as I imagine Saturday may have badly knocked confidence. We need to put the 2nd half of the Bristol game out of our minds and focus on how well we played in the first half. Stoke won't be as poor as Bristol were, but if we play like that over 90 mins we're almost certain to win, simple as that.

Unfortunately away at Stoke is probably one of the last fixtures I'd have picked to have in this context as we virtually never get anything there. I'm not sure I can even remember us picking up more than a point?

I hope we'll see the return of Fulton-Smith-Grimes, to give us a bit of that solidity we've been missing, especially if Bennett is still out. I'm still in the camp of giving Whittaker a chance, as he's young and (I assume) hungry and I think we've been missing a bit of that in offensive situations. If Cullen was fit, I'd be advocating starting him. There's a case for dropping either Ayew or Lowe.

Overall, I'm not spectacularly confident and would take a point right now if you offered it to me. Steady the ship and go and take the game to Boro at home on Saturday.

Our away record with Stoke is diabolical. The last time we won there was 2001.

Since then we've only come away with 2 points. P9 W0 D2 L7.

Saying that our away record this season is very good, only losing 4 matches, plus we haven't lost 2 league matches on the bounce this season. So let's get back on the horse and come away with a win.

1-0
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 14:18]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024