Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) AFTERMATH 18:44 - May 10 with 14881 viewsNotLoyal

It’s the first leg of the Championship play offs, that’s the semi final, before the final, two games though, when the goals are all added up it means the winners go through to another game. After that game they could become losers. The Duckworth Lewis method won’t be used in any of these games even though Dicky the bird is from Barnsley.

Barnsley v Swansea City
EFL Championship Play Off 1st Leg
Monday 17th May 2021
Kick off 8.15pm UK time
Oakwell Stadium

FULL COVERAGE LIVE ON SKY

Match Officials
Tony Harrington ( who always books players, and we mean in every game he and officiated this season ) began refereeing in the Teesside Junior Football Alliance at the age of 14, having completed a basic refereeing course whilst at school as part of the Duke of Edinburgh award. After four years as an EFL assistant referee and four years as a National League referee, he was appointed to the EFL Referees List in 2012/13 and has now overseen more than 190 EFL matches. Tony is the Grandson of Tommy McGuigan, who is in the Hartlepool United record books for top 10 number of appearances and goals for the club. Harrington will be assisted by Shaun Hudson and Richard Wild whilst Geoff Eltringham is the fourth official.

The championship play off final by all accounts leads to the saying “ The biggest financial reward in the world of football” Or similar. However, is it ? This isn’t the final, it’s the game before, but not the actual game before it’s the one before the one before. The last time Barnsley beat Swansea City in an actual league game was 1983. Strangely, in the 2006 final of the play offs Barnsley beat Swansea on penalties. That game was played next to the railway station near Leckwith, 36,000 swans fans attended the game that day. It could have been more but that’s the official attendance.

Barnsley’s record v Swansea City
Games won: 24
Games drawn: 15
Games lost: 37

Includes FA Cup, League Cup and Play Off game.

Barnsley ‘Who wooda thunk it” ?
Barnsley have been in two FA Cup finals but never at Wembley. In 1910 they lost to Newcastle, then in 1912 they beat WBA 1-0 after a replay. They have been at Wembley for an FA Cup semi final in 2008, the manager then was ex Swansea City player Simon Davey. They lost the game. In 2000 at Wembley Barnsley lost to Ipswich Town in a play off final and in 2016 Barnsley won the EFL Trophy beating Oxford. Well, “Who wooda thunk it “ ?

Barnsley in 1897 when they were called Barnsley St Peter’s

MORE TO FOLLOW.

Barnsley v Swansea City : Play Off Semi Final : The Real Danger Man Valérien Ismaël 9th May 2021 14:25
One of the most impressive managers in the championship this season has to be Valérien Ismaël. Now a German citizen he was born in Strasbourg, France. During his playing career, Ismaël played for Racing Strasbourg, Crystal Palace, RC Lens, Werder Bremen, Bayern Munich, and Hannover 96. He has taken that success as a player in to his coaching methodology and very similar to Steve Cooper - but at a far higher level, Valérien Ismaël knows exactly how to guide and mentor his players. 1

It’s Matchday at last, it has been hard to really think other than positively, however, let’s just remember.

Come on City!! Good Luck Boys on SATURDAY! by 1983 14 May 2021 7:48
Lets see if we can get this job done

We are just 3 games from the Premiership

Again another tale in the story of Swansea City Football Club the club I love and I grew up from a gobby teenager to a grumpy oldman with my family & friends some of whom are not here anymore but I can still see them and hear them on the North Bank and in The Liberty

Good Luck boys [clap] [clap]

Change of ref for tonight

Geoff Eltringham has replaced Tony ‘whose coat’ Harrington. David Webb is now fourth official.

Swansea Independent report at 9am.

Cooper out thinks Valérien in the Play Off first leg tie at Oakwell 18th May 2021 09:00
It was always going to be a tight game, the newly inspired top six latecomers Barnsley against the methodical percentage tactics of Swansea City. However to win the game it takes more than an off the pitch vision and tonight Coopers surprise selection got it spot on. 0

Brief highlights

[Post edited 18 May 2021 15:43]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 00:10 - May 18 with 1271 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 23:22 - May 17 by AndyCole

Some totally horrendous analyses by some of the twpest faux Swans supporters, as per.

A Massive result and performance yet again. Our twpest fans - hang your heads, you know who you are (it really is time to name and shame.....)

Cooper continues to demonstrate how to get the very best out of our meagre squad. He sees stuff our twps will never ever see.

Woodman, Guehi, Nauts, Grimes, Fulton, Hourihane, Lowe and our talisman Ayew take a bow. Cooper always picks our best players, fair play. Shout out for Cabango - warra hero against some big no-man form o'seas, somewhere.

Faux supporters, go back next door where you belong. You know who you are/were.

Please please please go boil your head man.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 00:35 - May 18 with 1249 viewsKeithHaynes

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 07:20 - May 18 with 1113 viewspencoedjack

Reading this thread this morning it’s hard to believe we just won the away league of a play of semi final.

Well done Coops & the boys.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 07:41 - May 18 with 1079 views34dfgdf54

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 22:36 - May 17 by Badlands

Cabango nd Guehi's first half, second half Woodman's.
Why didn't Cooper replace Guehi in the second half? The player was out on his feet. Tbf he was covering Bidwell and Cabango was covering the 5 and Woodman covering both.
Hourihane .. liability.
No subs late on to slow things down and manage the time!
Great result but could have been far easier.

In what world would you replace a centre half holding a 1-0 lead away from home though? The lad was outstanding again.

Agree about Hourihane, the way he was going up for those headers flinching etc told me he didn't fancy the fight in the middle last night. Whether he will have more input at home where we can hopefully keep the ball a bit more, who knows? Was absolutely crazy he played the 90 yesterday but we got their in the end and have something to build on / hold for second leg.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 07:43 - May 18 with 1073 views34dfgdf54

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 18:09 - May 17 by 34dfgdf54

Ayew first goal, both teams not to score, Swansea win is my bet builder

If anyone wants some tips my DM's are always open. Algorithm's etc, not a problem.

10% commission on all winnings
[Post edited 18 May 2021 9:07]
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 09:08 - May 18 with 975 viewsCatullus

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 07:41 - May 18 by 34dfgdf54

In what world would you replace a centre half holding a 1-0 lead away from home though? The lad was outstanding again.

Agree about Hourihane, the way he was going up for those headers flinching etc told me he didn't fancy the fight in the middle last night. Whether he will have more input at home where we can hopefully keep the ball a bit more, who knows? Was absolutely crazy he played the 90 yesterday but we got their in the end and have something to build on / hold for second leg.

I tend to agree, I'd have put Smith on for Hourihane or maybe Latibeaudiere and gone to a back 5.
Houri wasn't winning the ball and when it came to him he was just hoofing it away, he put pressure on us and his much vaunted set pieces weren't up to much.

We'll get the same second leg, Barnsley will be right in our faces, fighting for everything, we need some extra muscle, we need a player who's going to fight for everything and that's not Hourihane.

How about playing Guehi as a CDM and putting Bennett in?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 09:13 - May 18 with 959 views34dfgdf54

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 09:08 - May 18 by Catullus

I tend to agree, I'd have put Smith on for Hourihane or maybe Latibeaudiere and gone to a back 5.
Houri wasn't winning the ball and when it came to him he was just hoofing it away, he put pressure on us and his much vaunted set pieces weren't up to much.

We'll get the same second leg, Barnsley will be right in our faces, fighting for everything, we need some extra muscle, we need a player who's going to fight for everything and that's not Hourihane.

I'd like to think we will be a bit braver on the ball at the Liberty. They were riding on a wave and in fairness their fans were right behind them, hopefully we will be similar.

The Guehi option is a good one imo, but realistically Cooper isn't going to do it in a millions years.
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 09:20 - May 18 with 948 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 07:41 - May 18 by 34dfgdf54

LIKE ALL ANDY COLE,I enjoyed the result .

Woody's best game by a country mile .He took command and read the game superbly. His distribution was even better . Great to see.

Our young centre backs were terrific and yet people aren't convinced about 20 yr old Cabango.Twp indeed.
Grimes had a really big game,Jay did the graft as he does and Lowee ,I thought, game a heartfelt performance.

Negatives.Cullen looks lost -big time. He was well away. Why he starts before Whittaker beats me.
Hourihane is the worst loan we have had. He has had chances but it is clearly attitude that beats him. He is not only slow but lacks basic courage and commitment. You'll have to go a long way to see a more craven player,one who famed for set pieces,doesnt beat the first man at a corner and balloons free kicks aimlessly and then simply boot the ball away-anywhere.He panicked near the end and it showed him as he really is when he gave away a totally unnecessary corner to put our young defence under real pressure.

Cooper needs to bin him and do it now. He could truly cost us. We might be able to cover for him against Barnley but not either of Bmuff or Hounslow.

So well done Steveo but bin this excuse for a pro;we deserve better.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 09:41 - May 18 with 922 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Picking Hourihane was an insult to the subs last night. The number of times he gave the ball away was shocking. Byers would have done better

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 09:45 - May 18 with 911 viewsonehunglow

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 09:41 - May 18 by Brynmill_Jack

Picking Hourihane was an insult to the subs last night. The number of times he gave the ball away was shocking. Byers would have done better

It was Brynnie
It is worrying if cooper continues with him.
I worry as the the real reasons he is selected.
It was obvious last night he was a passenger. He mates were literally covering for him. Im not an historic Grime fan but last night the lad was epic and 3 times the pro Hoolie pretends to be. It looked like a terrified kid in a school team kicking the ball away when a bigger boy comes near.It was sick.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 10:08 - May 18 with 895 viewsBadlands

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 09:08 - May 18 by Catullus

Totally agree about Guehi.
He was excellent in the first half but in the second Barnsley's extra attack put too much pressure on him via Bidwell's wanderings. IMO he's mot tall enough (doesn't dominate in the air) to be an out and out CB and isn't quick enough to be an out and out full back. Playing as a central defender between a back four and midfield he'd be incredible imho.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 11:49 - May 18 with 810 viewsWitneyjack

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 07:43 - May 18 by 34dfgdf54

If anyone wants some tips my DM's are always open. Algorithm's etc, not a problem.

10% commission on all winnings
[Post edited 18 May 2021 9:07]

"Ayew first goal, both teams not to score, Swansea win is my bet builder? "

What's 10% of nothing?

[Post edited 18 May 2021 11:51]
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 12:11 - May 18 with 778 views34dfgdf54

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) LATEST MONDAY on 11:49 - May 18 by Witneyjack

"Ayew first goal, both teams not to score, Swansea win is my bet builder? "

What's 10% of nothing?

[Post edited 18 May 2021 11:51]

Both teams to score - No

Is a a better way of putting it
[Post edited 18 May 2021 12:11]
Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) TEAMS on 15:08 - May 18 with 672 viewsKeithHaynes

Cooper out thinks Valérien in the Play Off first leg tie at Oakwell 18th May 2021 09:00
It was always going to be a tight game, the newly inspired top six latecomers Barnsley against the methodical percentage tactics of Swansea City. However to win the game it takes more than an off the pitch vision and tonight Coopers surprise selection got it spot on. 0

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Barnsley v Swansea City Play Off Matchday Thread (1) AFTERMATH on 15:44 - May 18 with 656 viewsNotLoyal

Brief highlights

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024