Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. 23:37 - Jun 10 with 2496 viewsKeithHaynes

I made my debut after 15 months under the lights tonight in one of the many very decent 4G pitches we have here, Full game etc. I’ve just realised I no longer have what I had, my head says yes, but the legs and the rest of me say no. The standard is high but sadly I am not any more, even if I was it doesn’t show.

Do I continue is my first thought tonight, we kick off at 10pm here, it’s a bit cooler, we have youngsters from 21 upwards playing, they are brilliant, it doesn’t surprise me the Spanish are so good at football etc. I am not the oldest nor the slowest but driving home tonight with my kebab I felt quite sad. The kebab was rubbish too.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 19:41 - Jun 11 with 950 viewsjack_lord

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 19:29 - Jun 11 by onehunglow

Blocking techniques are well worth it Jase.

Jiu Jitsu is awesome and uses minimum force with maximum pain. It i a fool who oicks a scrap with a senior Jiu Jitsu man.

Trevor was amazing and the moves he was showing me basically rendered me useless. He was in his mid 60's. He retired and the dull bugger fell off his roof. Would have died but the washing rotary line broke his fall enough to save him.
Lives in Spain now.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 19:53 - Jun 11 with 934 viewsonehunglow

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 19:41 - Jun 11 by jack_lord

Trevor was amazing and the moves he was showing me basically rendered me useless. He was in his mid 60's. He retired and the dull bugger fell off his roof. Would have died but the washing rotary line broke his fall enough to save him.
Lives in Spain now.

I have fallen off a ladder so Im just a dumb.
Dumber till more when he had the bottle to get out when he could.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 21:13 - Jun 11 with 903 viewscontroversial_jack

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 18:01 - Jun 11 by jack_lord

One of my mate's dad (who used to train with Alan Petherbridge) was an instructor for the Police in restraint techniques. He wouldn't teach them how to get out of it in case he was ever arrested.

On the football thing. As I have returned to Shangri-la I have been asked to come back and play football. My mind is willing but as I haven't kicked a ball in anger in over 20 years will it be too much to take. The lads are confident I will be OK.

On the martial arts thing. To be honest I don't fancy getting thrown all over the floor and risk injury in the techniques. I really would love to but, again, it has been a long time.

I went to a few Sessions with Peth when he had the Samurai Judo club in Swansea. A no nonsense old school guy. A big lump too, not the guy to mess with

It's not a good idea to get thrown around when you get older. I would love to train with my mate who has a Judo club in P Talbot, but any injuries now could be permanent
Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 21:15 - Jun 11 with 902 viewsmax936

I packed up playing rugby far to early, used to really enjoy it, always regret finishing.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 23:36 - Jun 11 with 882 viewsSlugster664

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 21:15 - Jun 11 by max936

I packed up playing rugby far to early, used to really enjoy it, always regret finishing.

Finished playing through injury when I was 29, gutted. Started coaching, wasn't my thing so went into refereeing which I loved. Due to many ops I had to shelve that so got into a bit of squash...but my main thing after leaving the forces was gym work. Strength training is the thing guys. Use every muscle group to keep that muscle in use but use heavy(ish) weights, after a while you'll feel terrific.

STID

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 23:55 - Jun 11 with 872 viewsFireboy2

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 15:21 - Jun 11 by angryjack

Played Welsh league up until early thirties,then played Swansea league up until I was 43, only packed in as had injury which has now come back to haunt me as I have arthritis in my ankle,had two operations in the last 18 months I only 50,wish I could still play,keep getting asker's to play for the Swansea over 50s but my ankles couldn't do it....

Stupid old man.

Only joking.

You fvcking legend
Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 23:59 - Jun 11 with 870 viewsFireboy2

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 23:36 - Jun 11 by Slugster664

Finished playing through injury when I was 29, gutted. Started coaching, wasn't my thing so went into refereeing which I loved. Due to many ops I had to shelve that so got into a bit of squash...but my main thing after leaving the forces was gym work. Strength training is the thing guys. Use every muscle group to keep that muscle in use but use heavy(ish) weights, after a while you'll feel terrific.

I played on too late, finished serious rugby at 36, then totally at 41.

Miss the big hits, sometimes 🤬 now coach the eldest not to do what his dad did 🙄
Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 02:17 - Jun 12 with 857 viewsDJack

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 23:59 - Jun 11 by Fireboy2

Miss the big hits, sometimes 🤬 now coach the eldest not to do what his dad did 🙄

...Drink like a fish?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Login to get fewer ads

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 07:15 - Jun 12 with 832 viewsangryjack

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 21:13 - Jun 11 by controversial_jack

I went to a few Sessions with Peth when he had the Samurai Judo club in Swansea. A no nonsense old school guy. A big lump too, not the guy to mess with

It's not a good idea to get thrown around when you get older. I would love to train with my mate who has a Judo club in P Talbot, but any injuries now could be permanent

I done a bit of judo with peth,late 70s early 80s down Swansea leisure centre,I was only 9 or 10. Only done it for about a year or two until I was going for my grading to be a yellow belt,and was in front the whole class on the mats matched with a girl,who tied me up in knots,turned around and my late dad wasnlaughing his head off...put me off of ever going back..
Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 09:02 - Jun 12 with 797 viewscontroversial_jack

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 07:15 - Jun 12 by angryjack

I done a bit of judo with peth,late 70s early 80s down Swansea leisure centre,I was only 9 or 10. Only done it for about a year or two until I was going for my grading to be a yellow belt,and was in front the whole class on the mats matched with a girl,who tied me up in knots,turned around and my late dad wasnlaughing his head off...put me off of ever going back..

That's a shame, as it's a great sport. very competitive and demanding. It was a bit amusing though when you said your Dad was laughing.
Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 06:40 - Jun 14 with 738 viewsSlugster664

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 23:59 - Jun 11 by Fireboy2

41 Wish I could have...ref the hits, Noooooooo lol Different game completely now eh

STID

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 06:53 - Jun 14 with 727 viewsCatullus

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 06:40 - Jun 14 by Slugster664

41 Wish I could have...ref the hits, Noooooooo lol Different game completely now eh

I jacked in loacl league football at 40. After a life spent working too manu hours with too many late nights and too much beer, it all caught up with me. Early and late season I'd play 3/4 times a week. whatwith Saturday and Sunday league. Then I'd be off in the evenings playing Darts Snooker and eventually also Pool.

I burned the candle at both ends for a long old time which is why I'm a kanckered old fart now!

PS, now I've been rebuilt I'll be looking into this walking football lark in a couple of months.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 6:54]

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 08:02 - Jun 14 with 713 viewsFireboy2

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 02:17 - Jun 12 by DJack

...Drink like a fish?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Every time he gets me a bottle of beer from the fridge he takes a swig.

Not that many btw.
Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 14:10 - Jun 15 with 630 viewsBarrySwan

Played rugby and ice hockey until I was about 55, football a few years younger.

First time I noticed a slight lack of response in my legs and taking longer to recover on pitch was at about 50ish ( one benefit of not being all that speedy in the first place I suppose)

My body is absolutely knackered now due to 50 odd years of competitive and league Rugby, Ice Hockey, Football and recreational speedway ( a couple of tumbles into the laughingly named solid wooden safety boards) along with a number of hospitalisations and operations for various sports induced injuries

Time and injuries do catch up with you unfortunately
Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 18:23 - Jun 15 with 598 viewsonehunglow

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 14:10 - Jun 15 by BarrySwan

Played rugby and ice hockey until I was about 55, football a few years younger.

First time I noticed a slight lack of response in my legs and taking longer to recover on pitch was at about 50ish ( one benefit of not being all that speedy in the first place I suppose)

My body is absolutely knackered now due to 50 odd years of competitive and league Rugby, Ice Hockey, Football and recreational speedway ( a couple of tumbles into the laughingly named solid wooden safety boards) along with a number of hospitalisations and operations for various sports induced injuries

Time and injuries do catch up with you unfortunately

Speedway sadly Kev seems dying on its feet here. Losing Sky was huge loss and Woofinden is not exactly loveable or charismatic . I dig out the 81 final at Wembley and watched the Olsen/Knudsen/Penhall battles and that will never be repeated. Ever. Penhall was terrific guy.Spoke to him at length in Ellesmere Port ,when he rode for Cradley with Schwartz and Alan Grahame . Had time for everyone .Loved the women though. .
I got into ice Hockey whilst in Quebec and Les Habs still send me regular e mails.

Be lucky

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 22:53 - Jun 15 with 582 viewsmax936

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 23:36 - Jun 11 by Slugster664

I really need to lose weight, its a mind thing though I just haven't got the will power, just love food and my beer on a weekend,
Got to sort it out though, bought an Olympic weight kit and its never seen action, my garage got full up with building materials etc I'm 60 now out of shape, but made a program up based on AthleanX's 8 best dumbbell exercises, used to enjoy that, Exercise bike used to be good to, gonna sort the garage out and go from there

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 05:10 - Jun 16 with 546 viewsCatullus

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 22:53 - Jun 15 by max936

I really need to lose weight, its a mind thing though I just haven't got the will power, just love food and my beer on a weekend,
Got to sort it out though, bought an Olympic weight kit and its never seen action, my garage got full up with building materials etc I'm 60 now out of shape, but made a program up based on AthleanX's 8 best dumbbell exercises, used to enjoy that, Exercise bike used to be good to, gonna sort the garage out and go from there

Just don't do too much too soon or you'll have a blooming heart attack!

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 09:05 - Jun 16 with 529 viewscontroversial_jack

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 22:53 - Jun 15 by max936

Press up boards are good and cheap. I also have one of those wheels for doing abdominal exercises. they don't take up much room either
Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 18:34 - Jun 16 with 497 viewsCatullus

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 09:05 - Jun 16 by controversial_jack

Press up boards are good and cheap. I also have one of those wheels for doing abdominal exercises. they don't take up much room either

You'd be surprised how much core strengthening you can do with no equipment, just some basic exercises.

I've started my rehab from the op and I have a list of exercises to do, all meant to build up my knee and thigh muscles, lower back and stomach. All the equipment I need is a rolled up towel and the kitchen worktop to hold on to.

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 22:36 - Jun 16 with 475 viewsmax936

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 18:34 - Jun 16 by Catullus

You'd be surprised how much core strengthening you can do with no equipment, just some basic exercises.

I've started my rehab from the op and I have a list of exercises to do, all meant to build up my knee and thigh muscles, lower back and stomach. All the equipment I need is a rolled up towel and the kitchen worktop to hold on to.

Used to suffer with my back, mechanical back pain, its generally referred to and exercise definitely helped, planks and plank variations are massively underrated.

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 06:48 - Jun 17 with 457 viewsCatullus

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 22:36 - Jun 16 by max936

Used to suffer with my back, mechanical back pain, its generally referred to and exercise definitely helped, planks and plank variations are massively underrated.

I've also had acupuncture which did help for a few months but the problem returned. The basic core exercises have cured it though my bad back only really cleared up after they retired me!

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 09:18 - Jun 17 with 434 viewsonehunglow

Reading about you lot,maybe Im doing ok.
With this work we been having here,Ive done very little and Im sure it's gonna be hard to get it back.
When you get older though ,you do have to accept you can't do what you used to.

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 18:56 - Jun 17 with 395 viewsKeithHaynes

Another 10pm kick off tonight, wish me well ⚽️ 👍

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 22:41 - Jun 17 with 374 viewsbuilthjack

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 18:56 - Jun 17 by KeithHaynes

Another 10pm kick off tonight, wish me well ⚽️ 👍

Maniac

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 23:10 - Jun 17 with 366 viewsFireboy2

Who still plays football, tennis, cricket etc. on 22:41 - Jun 17 by builthjack

Maniac

Effing madman more like.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024