Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Exam results at record highs 20:04 - Aug 10 with 1721 viewspikeypaul

Amazingly this years A level results have blown away past results.

Over 44% now get A or A* grades compared to only 25%. 2 years ago.

So with them missing most of the last 18 months education the results are massively better.

It makes you think why the “teachers “ are employed when the kids are doing so much better with far less teaching😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Anyway at least we know that we have the most intelligent kids in the world now.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Exam results at record highs on 21:25 - Aug 10 with 1222 viewscontroversial_jack

It was bound to be higher with teachers doing the assessing. Higher marks looks like better teaching
Exam results at record highs on 21:28 - Aug 10 with 1218 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Exam results at record highs on 21:25 - Aug 10 by controversial_jack

It was bound to be higher with teachers doing the assessing. Higher marks looks like better teaching

No doubt schools get more funding for better results.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Exam results at record highs on 21:30 - Aug 10 with 1217 viewslondonlisa2001

It’s bound to be higher when assessed as you don’t have the kids that freeze on the day but perform to their ability.

Every other year there must be a significant number who just cock it up even though they have plenty of ability and have done lots of work.
Exam results at record highs on 21:31 - Aug 10 with 1215 viewsGwyn737

Exam results at record highs on 21:28 - Aug 10 by felixstowe_jack

No doubt schools get more funding for better results.

No. They don’t.
Exam results at record highs on 21:33 - Aug 10 with 1209 viewsGwyn737

This explains the omnishambes much better than I could:

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/mess-avoidable-young-people-bear-brunt-a-leve
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 22:12]
Exam results at record highs on 22:09 - Aug 10 with 1180 viewsmajorraglan

Exam results at record highs on 21:33 - Aug 10 by Gwyn737

This explains the omnishambes much better than I could:

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/mess-avoidable-young-people-bear-brunt-a-leve
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 22:12]

Thanks for posting this, very informative. I was completely unaware of this as I suspect are most of the country, it makes you think as to what type of people we have in charge. Shambles.
Exam results at record highs on 22:24 - Aug 10 with 1162 viewsBillyChong

Exam results at record highs on 22:09 - Aug 10 by majorraglan

Thanks for posting this, very informative. I was completely unaware of this as I suspect are most of the country, it makes you think as to what type of people we have in charge. Shambles.

Gavin Williamson, the bloke who can’t even remember his own grades
Exam results at record highs on 22:35 - Aug 10 with 1148 viewsGwyn737

Exam results at record highs on 22:09 - Aug 10 by majorraglan

If you’ve any interest in education (even if it’s kids/grandkids in school) the guy who wrote the article is well worth a follow on Twitter.

He’s the rarest of things these days, a completely unbiased commentator who takes that role very seriously.
Login to get fewer ads

Exam results at record highs on 22:36 - Aug 10 with 1147 viewsGwyn737

Exam results at record highs on 22:24 - Aug 10 by BillyChong

Gavin Williamson, the bloke who can’t even remember his own grades

I saw that clip - what a numpty!
Exam results at record highs on 22:57 - Aug 10 with 1138 viewsCatullus

Exam results at record highs on 21:30 - Aug 10 by londonlisa2001

It’s bound to be higher when assessed as you don’t have the kids that freeze on the day but perform to their ability.

Every other year there must be a significant number who just cock it up even though they have plenty of ability and have done lots of work.

Some kids will do better from assessment, others may have done better under the exams system. I'm not a big fan of exams for the reason you give. It's an unrealistic test of someone's capability, expecting them to remember so much information around so many subjects while under so much pressure because their careers, their futures depend on it.

In th real world of work, these kids may be useless but they may be excellent and in the real world, when they need information they can go get it. Exams take that away.
If it was my choice (bearing in mind I'm nowhere near an expert but merely a concerned parent of a 12 year old) I'd only exam test Englsih and Mathematics to make sure kids were competent at a basic level. Otherwise I'd mostly do what they've been doing now though I would want to raise standards, marking should be stricter.
This current rise in the top 2 grades, does it sho us that either the exams system is very wrong or that the assessments used during covid are too lax, too easy?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Exam results at record highs on 23:10 - Aug 10 with 1129 viewsmajorraglan

Exam results at record highs on 22:35 - Aug 10 by Gwyn737

If you’ve any interest in education (even if it’s kids/grandkids in school) the guy who wrote the article is well worth a follow on Twitter.

He’s the rarest of things these days, a completely unbiased commentator who takes that role very seriously.

Thanks for the head up. Our kids have left school now and we don’t have grand kids, but I do have an interest in Education and in trying to get kids the best possible start and opportunities. We have nieces and nephews in school, Er indoors worked in a school doing the admin and budget stuff and I was also a Parent Governor for a while. I was struck by how hard most of the teachers worked, how much they cared and the battle to balance the books to try and make ends meet.
Exam results at record highs on 04:03 - Aug 11 with 1086 views73__73

No one is allowed to fail these days, even the ones who do fail.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Exam results at record highs on 09:36 - Aug 11 with 1044 viewsCatullus

Exam results at record highs on 23:10 - Aug 10 by majorraglan

Thanks for the head up. Our kids have left school now and we don’t have grand kids, but I do have an interest in Education and in trying to get kids the best possible start and opportunities. We have nieces and nephews in school, Er indoors worked in a school doing the admin and budget stuff and I was also a Parent Governor for a while. I was struck by how hard most of the teachers worked, how much they cared and the battle to balance the books to try and make ends meet.

I volunteered in my sons Primary school and was a parent governor too. The staff there at the time were giving dozens of hours of their own time for free, every day. They ran breakfast club, they ran after school clubs and all in their own time. That was the case until the head teacher changed and the whole atmosphere at the school changed with it. Those teachers back then were bloody brilliant. That's part of my issue though, these really good teachers, they get so invested in the kids I don't think they can give impartial grades, there is bound to be some unintentional grade inflation. Unconcious bias in the kids favour, I'm sure it happens. Then, on the flip side, I think kids that teachers don't like get the reverse. It's human nature.
Look at the facts here, we are told online learning isn't as good, that very many kids struggled with it and yet we have record numbers of A and A*, a 75% increase. It doesn't match up.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Exam results at record highs on 10:06 - Aug 11 with 1033 viewsGwyn737

Exam results at record highs on 09:36 - Aug 11 by Catullus

I volunteered in my sons Primary school and was a parent governor too. The staff there at the time were giving dozens of hours of their own time for free, every day. They ran breakfast club, they ran after school clubs and all in their own time. That was the case until the head teacher changed and the whole atmosphere at the school changed with it. Those teachers back then were bloody brilliant. That's part of my issue though, these really good teachers, they get so invested in the kids I don't think they can give impartial grades, there is bound to be some unintentional grade inflation. Unconcious bias in the kids favour, I'm sure it happens. Then, on the flip side, I think kids that teachers don't like get the reverse. It's human nature.
Look at the facts here, we are told online learning isn't as good, that very many kids struggled with it and yet we have record numbers of A and A*, a 75% increase. It doesn't match up.

Catt, you’ve summed it up perfectly.

Final exams are by no means perfect and many of the issues have been highlighted above, but they’re the fairest way we’ve got of assessing kids.

Of course, nobody mentions what are by far the biggest predictors of academic performance, household income and month of birth. If we really want to give kids the best chance in life, these are the inequalities we have to change. (I expect someone will come along with ‘survivor bias’ in a minute with an anecdote about someone they know who did well despite these challenges - means nowt).

As for the changes in the school you supported, I bet that was post 2010?
Exam results at record highs on 10:19 - Aug 11 with 1028 viewsCatullus

Exam results at record highs on 10:06 - Aug 11 by Gwyn737

Catt, you’ve summed it up perfectly.

Final exams are by no means perfect and many of the issues have been highlighted above, but they’re the fairest way we’ve got of assessing kids.

Of course, nobody mentions what are by far the biggest predictors of academic performance, household income and month of birth. If we really want to give kids the best chance in life, these are the inequalities we have to change. (I expect someone will come along with ‘survivor bias’ in a minute with an anecdote about someone they know who did well despite these challenges - means nowt).

As for the changes in the school you supported, I bet that was post 2010?

The changes in the school had to be post 2010, my son is only 12! It was late in year 4 when the head changed. Part way through year 6 we moved him.

Those predictors you mention, our income is aound 35k and as it goes our son was born in September. We had his end of year report from the school and we were very pleased. His results are getting back to where they were. We spoke with teachers on Zoom and some of the comments were heart warming.
There will always be exceptions to the rule.

Exam results at record highs on 10:29 - Aug 11 with 1023 viewsGwyn737

Exam results at record highs on 10:19 - Aug 11 by Catullus

The changes in the school had to be post 2010, my son is only 12! It was late in year 4 when the head changed. Part way through year 6 we moved him.

Those predictors you mention, our income is aound 35k and as it goes our son was born in September. We had his end of year report from the school and we were very pleased. His results are getting back to where they were. We spoke with teachers on Zoom and some of the comments were heart warming.
There will always be exceptions to the rule.

Sounds like you made a good call to make the move. Household income and month of birth mean far less if parents aren’t engaged.

Being a September born boy is statistically very helpful - you wouldn’t believe the number of summer born boys labelled as SEN by the end of the reception year. Nobody is willing to acknowledge that it could be because they’re up to 20% younger than their peers.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 10:31]
Exam results at record highs on 10:36 - Aug 11 with 1010 viewsRonaldStump

They have to give them high marks as the covid bioweapon has ruined their lives and it's a form of compensation

(He She Him)

Exam results at record highs on 10:59 - Aug 11 with 995 viewsProfessor

Exam results at record highs on 09:36 - Aug 11 by Catullus

Online learning is very dependent on the individual Cat. I could not hack it, though some of my tutees have really taken to it. The main difference is that most universities were already using a degree of online delivery (all lectures were online as well as face-to-face) so had better systems (virtual learning environments ) to deliver than schools reliant on Google Classroom or Zoom. Was much harder work setting up online teaching than face-to-face. Hybrid for us this year-although there was still face-to-face teaching for practical elements last year -it's not something I am involved in. Anyway, some courses are going to be swamped by excess students. Some med schools are paying people to defer by a year.
Exam results at record highs on 11:32 - Aug 11 with 981 viewsWhiterockin

Private school grades are higher as they normally are. But is there a temptation or pressure to inflate them more to justify the fees?
Exam results at record highs on 11:51 - Aug 11 with 964 viewsGwyn737

Exam results at record highs on 11:32 - Aug 11 by Whiterockin

Private school grades are higher as they normally are. But is there a temptation or pressure to inflate them more to justify the fees?

There’s both, however the temptation was felt by all.

When it comes to pressure it is a little different. In a state school you’ll get a % of sharp elbowed parents putting pressure on. This unfortunately has seen disadvantaged kids fall further behind this year.

In private schools, they’re practically all sharp elbowed by nature so there will be overall increased pressure.

There’s also the remote learning period to take into account. Those who have the money to afford a private education will have the kit at home to give their children the best chance of doing well remotely.
Exam results at record highs on 12:11 - Aug 11 with 949 viewsProfessor

Exam results at record highs on 11:51 - Aug 11 by Gwyn737

There’s both, however the temptation was felt by all.

When it comes to pressure it is a little different. In a state school you’ll get a % of sharp elbowed parents putting pressure on. This unfortunately has seen disadvantaged kids fall further behind this year.

In private schools, they’re practically all sharp elbowed by nature so there will be overall increased pressure.

There’s also the remote learning period to take into account. Those who have the money to afford a private education will have the kit at home to give their children the best chance of doing well remotely.

Absolutely the case Gwyn. My son goes to a selective state school, my daughter went to a good non-selective school. The difference in pressure from and expectation of parents is enormous between the two. Space to work, decent computers and the engagement will vary greatly. The difference in expectation from schools over work delivered by the students between my kids in Cheshire/Wirral to those of family in Rhondda is also miles apart.
Exam results at record highs on 12:21 - Aug 11 with 934 viewsGwyn737

Exam results at record highs on 12:11 - Aug 11 by Professor

Absolutely the case Gwyn. My son goes to a selective state school, my daughter went to a good non-selective school. The difference in pressure from and expectation of parents is enormous between the two. Space to work, decent computers and the engagement will vary greatly. The difference in expectation from schools over work delivered by the students between my kids in Cheshire/Wirral to those of family in Rhondda is also miles apart.

I see the same thing around expectations, Prof.

I think most of it stems from the fact that levels of school accountability in England are far higher than Wales and have been for some time.
Exam results at record highs on 12:26 - Aug 11 with 929 viewsKilkennyjack

What A levels did you achieve Pikey ?

You seem to be quite an expert on this matter.

Beware of the Risen People

Exam results at record highs on 12:28 - Aug 11 with 926 viewsKilkennyjack

Exam results at record highs on 11:32 - Aug 11 by Whiterockin

Scrap all private schools.

Brexit tells you why.

Beware of the Risen People

Exam results at record highs on 12:34 - Aug 11 with 923 viewsWhiterockin

Exam results at record highs on 12:28 - Aug 11 by Kilkennyjack

Scrap all private schools.

Brexit tells you why.

Would you say the same for pupils in state schools who recieve private tuition.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024