Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That’s the way to do it under 23 report 22:42 - Oct 25 with 789 viewsKeithHaynes

Like the old days, if your not in the first team you play reserve football.

A Swansea Under-23s side comprising a number of first-team players defeated Watford Under-23s 2-0 in the Professional Development League.

Senior figures Steven Benda, Liverpool loanee Rhys Williams, Brandon Cooper, Jay Fulton, Liam Walsh, Yan Dhanda, Morgan Whittaker and Liam Cullen all featured for 90 minutes as they picked up some valuable game-time for Kris O'Leary's side, who were watched on by first-team boss Russell Martin in Landore.

Much like Martin’s side, Swansea controlled possession for long periods of the game with patient passing eventually creating opportunities.

Goals from Dhanda and Cullen in the first half proved enough for the Swans, who host Coventry in Landore on Thursday in their next encounter.

The Swans took the lead early through Dhanda. Swansea won the ball back high up the field and fed the ball into the midfielder, who fired it past the goalkeeper from close range.

Cullen doubled the lead just three minutes later as he got onto the end of a low cross from Tivonge Rushesha before burying a shot into the bottom left corner.

Yan Dhanda Plymouth Argyle
Swansea continued to dominate possession and went close to extending their lead a number of times, with Morgan Whittaker and Cullen both going close.

Watford created their first real chance of the game though Jimiel Chikukwa. He cut in from the left and fired a low effort but Steven Benda got down well to push the effort away.

Cullen thought he had his second of the afternoon 67 minutes in, reacting first after Liam Walsh’s long-range shot was parried, but his goal was ruled out for offside.

Jacob Jones came close to making it three, but his header from Dhanda’s cross bounced over the crossbar.

Despite Swansea controlling the game for the majority of the second half, the Hornets defence held strong through the second half to keep the contest at 2-0.

Swansea City U23s: Steven Benda, Tivonge Rushesha (Jacob Jones, 45), Rhys Williams, Brandon Cooper (capt), Jay Fulton, Lincoln McFayden (Azeem Abdulai, 60), Dan Williams, Liam Walsh, Yan Dhanda, Morgan Whittaker, Liam Cullen.

Unused subs: Nico Hansen, Tarelle Whittaker, Ben Erickson.

Watford U23s: Vincent Angelini, Ryan Andrews, James Morris, Kamil Conteh (Adian Manning, 65), Andi Janjeva (capt), Josh O’Brien, Maurizio Pochettino, Henry Wise, Jimiel Chikukwa, JJ McKiernan (Shaq Forde, 78), Kane Chrichlow (Seokjae Lee, 65).

Unused subs: Alfie Marriott, Adrian Blake.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 20:23 - Oct 26 with 609 viewsvetchonian

We really need a proper set up where the fringe players can get games as was possible in the old combination league...playing the senior players in the u23s is not the answer as in reality it is almost non against boys...bit good to see the boys get some game time...Fulton..at CB?...people wonder why some on here "moan" and critique

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 20:24 - Oct 26 with 601 viewsonehunglow

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 20:23 - Oct 26 by vetchonian

We really need a proper set up where the fringe players can get games as was possible in the old combination league...playing the senior players in the u23s is not the answer as in reality it is almost non against boys...bit good to see the boys get some game time...Fulton..at CB?...people wonder why some on here "moan" and critique

I d like to see Downes be the play maker from the back whilst Grimes is with us.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 20:51 - Oct 26 with 590 viewsjasper_T

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 20:23 - Oct 26 by vetchonian

We shouldn't have so many players hanging about.
That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 20:58 - Oct 26 with 577 viewsReslovenSwan1

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 20:51 - Oct 26 by jasper_T

Martin had an opportunity to rotate v Birmingham rather than being quoted saying it was a 'game too many for some'. (which was entirely predictable). He has all the biometric data at hand. I am a proponent of rotation for 3 game weeks.

Wise sage since Toshack era

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 21:12 - Oct 26 with 561 viewsvetchonian

probably right there Jasper....tge question should be asked to as why....and maybe what we need is a proper joined up thinking approach where the u23s supply the subs when there are issues...

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 21:14 - Oct 26 with 557 viewsvetchonian

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 20:58 - Oct 26 by ReslovenSwan1

Martin had an opportunity to rotate v Birmingham rather than being quoted saying it was a 'game too many for some'. (which was entirely predictable). He has all the biometric data at hand. I am a proponent of rotation for 3 game weeks.

exactly we knew the schedule had a two week international break to prepare but instead we threw away points and then used the excuse we were tired!

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 21:20 - Oct 26 with 543 viewsKeithHaynes

The thinking behind the u23 side giving the first team squad a run out is fine, it’s just it’s taken so long.

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 07:57 - Oct 27 with 461 views34dfgdf54

Agree with that. Criticised Cooper for it last year and Martin for me went the same way against Birmingham, we didn't have any legs at all and that is his responsibility.

I'll say again though, we have signed good players, but we have been able to afford these players due to their injury records and at the moment the gamble isn't paying off. Ntcham doesn't look fit at all, Obafemi hasn't had a run of games and Walsh is pretty much never fit. The latter is a bit of a worry for me if we are relying on him to fill in Grimes shoes when he leaves.

PS - As for the U23's, what's going on with Lewis Webb? He isn't getting a game anywhere, feel sorry for the lad travelling with the firsts as injury cover but doing nothing for his career.
Login to get fewer ads

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 08:29 - Oct 27 with 443 viewsWhiterockin

Agree 100%. There needs to be a big clear out in January and that's without anyone coming in.

Back to topic. I used to love watching the combination matches midweek, when we were in the lower leagues it was a chance to watch the "stars" of the likes of Spurs and Chelsea play when they were getting back to full fitness.
That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 17:00 - Oct 27 with 310 viewsTreforys_Jack

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 08:29 - Oct 27 by Whiterockin

Agree 100%. There needs to be a big clear out in January and that's without anyone coming in.

Back to topic. I used to love watching the combination matches midweek, when we were in the lower leagues it was a chance to watch the "stars" of the likes of Spurs and Chelsea play when they were getting back to full fitness.

I spent a couple of seasons watching the U21's at Port Talbot. Roberto was always in attendance,. Regular spectators were KOL, Rangel, Bauza, Trunds. It was great for my lad who was 10yr old and Swans mad. Every week it had to be a photo with Roberto at the end. .......... My lad was even in a couple .....
That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 18:30 - Oct 27 with 288 viewstheloneranger

I used to love watching the Combination matches. When we we weren't in it, injured players coming back, were given a run out in the Welsh League - with targets on their backs!! 😂

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 18:32 - Oct 27 with 285 viewsKeithHaynes

That’s the way to do it under 23 report on 18:30 - Oct 27 by theloneranger

I used to love watching the Combination matches. When we we weren't in it, injured players coming back, were given a run out in the Welsh League - with targets on their backs!! 😂

Weds afternoons at the vetch.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024