Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP 12:51 - Jun 20 with 2068 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Under investigation for alleged breach of the MP’s code of conduct for late filing of financial info or something, incredibly boring stuff and nothing will come of it but what caught my eye was the suggestion in this article that Mr Lammy was paid over £3000 for a speech and question and answer session. Now forgive me if I’m being a little old fashioned but don’t we already pay MP’s more than enough to do this sort of thing? If I lived in Mr Lammy’s constituency and wanted to ask him questions would I stand a better chance if I chucked him a few grand?

If he’s devoting his time to these paid appearances does that mean his normal constituents who aren’t paying him don’t get a look in?

Personally I’d happily pay him £3000 to stay away.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/20/david-lammy-investigated-mp-sta
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 12:59 - Jun 20 with 2045 viewsfelixstowe_jack

A bit like 6 members of the shadow cabinet currently being paid by the Railway Unions. No wonder they won't critise them or other Unions who fund the Labour Party.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 13:27 - Jun 20 with 2013 viewsDr_Winston

Any time one of the self righteous types like Lammy gets caught with a hand in the cookie jar it's a total joy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 13:48 - Jun 20 with 1993 viewsonehunglow

Come on Jim.
Labour getting slagged off here

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 13:53 - Jun 20 with 1988 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Both of the major parties have MPs who can't fill in their monthly returns.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 15:24 - Jun 20 with 1958 viewsBoundy

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 13:53 - Jun 20 by JACKMANANDBOY

Regardless of the colour of rosette no side can claim the moral high ground ,ever

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:44 - Jun 20 with 1923 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Putting aside the left/right/red/blue partisan bollocks for a minute (for balance Boris made £700,000 a year after being sacked as foreign secretary) doesn’t anybody else think it’s obscene that serving MPs can take such huge fees for what should essentially be the “day job”? The taxpayer is already paying him a significant salary for his time, yet he’s using that time and the prestige that being a parliamentarian brings to feather his nest further.

You shouldn’t have to pay an MP to make an appearance at an event or to say a few words, he/she/xi is already paid for. This is a huge ethical issue.
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:50 - Jun 20 with 1913 viewsGwyn737

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:44 - Jun 20 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Putting aside the left/right/red/blue partisan bollocks for a minute (for balance Boris made £700,000 a year after being sacked as foreign secretary) doesn’t anybody else think it’s obscene that serving MPs can take such huge fees for what should essentially be the “day job”? The taxpayer is already paying him a significant salary for his time, yet he’s using that time and the prestige that being a parliamentarian brings to feather his nest further.

You shouldn’t have to pay an MP to make an appearance at an event or to say a few words, he/she/xi is already paid for. This is a huge ethical issue.

We've been down this road before, but if we really want out brightest and best leading us we need to pay them accordingly.

The MP's salary needs to be enough to warrant not taking on other roles for payment.
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:51 - Jun 20 with 1912 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:50 - Jun 20 by Gwyn737

We've been down this road before, but if we really want out brightest and best leading us we need to pay them accordingly.

The MP's salary needs to be enough to warrant not taking on other roles for payment.

If we want the brightest and best and still end up with David Lammy then there’s clearly something wrong.
Login to get fewer ads

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:57 - Jun 20 with 1904 viewsCountyJim

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 13:48 - Jun 20 by onehunglow

Come on Jim.
Labour getting slagged off here

If found guilty me personally I'd sack him if I was leader

As for RMT paying MPs from what I've seen it more like hotel costs food etc for attending meetings events can't see problem with that
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:57 - Jun 20 with 1904 viewsBryanSwan

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:50 - Jun 20 by Gwyn737

Unfortunately i dont think paying them any more would make a blind bit of difference.
Half of them in there couldnt care less about the salary eg. Sunak. It is about the power.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 18:41 - Jun 20 with 1860 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:57 - Jun 20 by CountyJim

If found guilty me personally I'd sack him if I was leader

As for RMT paying MPs from what I've seen it more like hotel costs food etc for attending meetings events can't see problem with that

Paying Labour MPs hotel bills while they attend Labour Conferences and you can't see anything wrong with it.

5 labour MPs received £20,000 that is £4,000 each in 2020. Sounds a lot more than just expensives

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 18:42 - Jun 20 with 1860 viewsGwyn737

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:57 - Jun 20 by BryanSwan

Unfortunately i dont think paying them any more would make a blind bit of difference.
Half of them in there couldnt care less about the salary eg. Sunak. It is about the power.

You may well be right.
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 18:50 - Jun 20 with 1854 viewsLorax

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 13:53 - Jun 20 by JACKMANANDBOY

Yet they have no trouble with their expenses claims!
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 19:20 - Jun 20 with 1823 viewsGixerJack

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 18:41 - Jun 20 by felixstowe_jack

Paying Labour MPs hotel bills while they attend Labour Conferences and you can't see anything wrong with it.

5 labour MPs received £20,000 that is £4,000 each in 2020. Sounds a lot more than just expensives

£77 a week doesn’t sound like a lot. Depending on how many hours they work it might even be below minimum wage
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 19:46 - Jun 20 with 1802 viewsLorax

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 19:20 - Jun 20 by GixerJack

£77 a week doesn’t sound like a lot. Depending on how many hours they work it might even be below minimum wage

Did the labour party conference last 12 months then?
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 19:55 - Jun 20 with 1795 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 19:46 - Jun 20 by Lorax

Did the labour party conference last 12 months then?

No it just felt like it.
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 20:00 - Jun 20 with 1794 viewsBryanSwan

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 18:42 - Jun 20 by Gwyn737

You may well be right.

Unfortunately the political system isn't catered for people who genuinely want to improve peoples lives.
And that goes for both benches.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 20:35 - Jun 20 with 1764 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Dave says it's an admin error, the only admin error I can see is paying him £3,000 for a speech.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 20:49 - Jun 20 with 1745 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 20:35 - Jun 20 by JACKMANANDBOY

Dave says it's an admin error, the only admin error I can see is paying him £3,000 for a speech.

Well there’s the issue isn’t it. Imagine his office receiving 2 letters. Both inviting him to speak at an event on the same evening. One is the opening of a small local community funded youth club aimed at bringing kids off the street to give them something to do, unfortunately funds are tight, they can’t offer him any money but they’d appreciate the support from the local MP with this good initiative. The other is a Citibank event where he will be paid several thousands of pounds for a ten minute speech.

He can’t attend both, they’re on the same evening at the same time.

Which one is he more likely to attend?
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 20:56 - Jun 20 with 1742 viewsLorax

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 20:49 - Jun 20 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Well there’s the issue isn’t it. Imagine his office receiving 2 letters. Both inviting him to speak at an event on the same evening. One is the opening of a small local community funded youth club aimed at bringing kids off the street to give them something to do, unfortunately funds are tight, they can’t offer him any money but they’d appreciate the support from the local MP with this good initiative. The other is a Citibank event where he will be paid several thousands of pounds for a ten minute speech.

He can’t attend both, they’re on the same evening at the same time.

Which one is he more likely to attend?

It's not more likely, it's definite!

This nonsense about paying them enough so they won't look for outside work...how much does anyone think that is?

We could pay them like Premier league footballers and they'd still take any extras they were offered. Greed knows no bounds, where politicians (and many rich people) are concerned, too much is never enough.
Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 21:07 - Jun 20 with 1722 viewsFlashberryjack

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 20:56 - Jun 20 by Lorax

It's not more likely, it's definite!

This nonsense about paying them enough so they won't look for outside work...how much does anyone think that is?

We could pay them like Premier league footballers and they'd still take any extras they were offered. Greed knows no bounds, where politicians (and many rich people) are concerned, too much is never enough.

The more money you've got the more you want, fact.

You could pay MP's a £million a week and they'd still be scrabbling around for a few extra quid.

The tightest people I've met are absolutely minted.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 10:10 - Jun 21 with 1627 viewswaynekerr55

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 16:44 - Jun 20 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

If I could upvote this post 200k times I would.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 12:34 - Jun 21 with 1592 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Paragon of virtue rt. hon David Lammy MP on 10:10 - Jun 21 by waynekerr55

If I could upvote this post 200k times I would.

Well create 199,999 more accounts then. You’re not trying hard enough.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 12:35]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024