Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barristers Strike 09:39 - Jun 27 with 6491 viewsonehunglow

Ey op

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Barristers Strike on 10:22 - Jun 27 with 3970 viewsWhiterockin

How many people will this actually affect, not me for one.
Barristers Strike on 11:03 - Jun 27 with 3946 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Yet another win for the criminals. Crime does pay.
Barristers Strike on 11:51 - Jun 27 with 3900 viewsCatullus

Barristers Strike on 10:22 - Jun 27 by Whiterockin

How many people will this actually affect, not me for one.

Nah, nor me, I dont buy those fancy coffees

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Barristers Strike on 11:53 - Jun 27 with 3899 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Barristers Strike on 11:51 - Jun 27 by Catullus

Nah, nor me, I dont buy those fancy coffees

Barristers Strike on 12:02 - Jun 27 with 3894 viewsonehunglow

Obviously my feelings are well known on here as regards this profession. Frankly,I feel the same about surveyors,architects and accountants who all start on subsistence salaries UNTIL THEY QUALIFY then they earn big money.

I actually started out in life a a trainee Cost and Works accountant but it wasnt for me and I went into retail management. I started at Tescos in 1968 on £18 per week,which was double I was getting paid.

It's when you qualify that it kicks in.

I know few in the legal profession living in modest houses .Its the same with most professions who guard their exclusivity like a Rottweiler.

The biggest houses on Wirral are/were invariably Judges and they start out as barristers and work their way up,as many people do in life.

Having said that,successive governments have killed Justice in this country and Tories are actually more to blame than Labour.

The cost of keeping criminals is a big issue

Barristers Strike on 13:36 - Jun 27 with 3857 viewsSirjohnalot

Barristers Strike on 12:02 - Jun 27 by onehunglow

Obviously my feelings are well known on here as regards this profession. Frankly,I feel the same about surveyors,architects and accountants who all start on subsistence salaries UNTIL THEY QUALIFY then they earn big money.

I actually started out in life a a trainee Cost and Works accountant but it wasnt for me and I went into retail management. I started at Tescos in 1968 on £18 per week,which was double I was getting paid.

I know few in the legal profession living in modest houses .Its the same with most professions who guard their exclusivity like a Rottweiler.

The biggest houses on Wirral are/were invariably Judges and they start out as barristers and work their way up,as many people do in life.

Having said that,successive governments have killed Justice in this country and Tories are actually more to blame than Labour.

I’ve just returned from the first day of the strike. It doesn’t affect you till it affects you. I’ve got a number of sex cases I’m prosecuting which go back years. Longest is 5 years. The government keep selling off courts, or running courts with rooms closed. They’ve not enough judges, or barriers to hear these cases. We’ve had a 40% pay cut over the years, we don’t get paid for cars until they conclude. If you spend months preparing a case for trial which then gets taken out and put in a date you can’t do. You get paid nothing.

One day you may be accused of something you’ve not done. If this fails, good luck in court.
Barristers Strike on 21:25 - Jun 27 with 3761 viewsGwyn737

Barristers Strike on 13:36 - Jun 27 by Sirjohnalot

I’ve just returned from the first day of the strike. It doesn’t affect you till it affects you. I’ve got a number of sex cases I’m prosecuting which go back years. Longest is 5 years. The government keep selling off courts, or running courts with rooms closed. They’ve not enough judges, or barriers to hear these cases. We’ve had a 40% pay cut over the years, we don’t get paid for cars until they conclude. If you spend months preparing a case for trial which then gets taken out and put in a date you can’t do. You get paid nothing.

One day you may be accused of something you’ve not done. If this fails, good luck in court.

Barristers have my unequivocal support in striking.

The running down of the justice system has been an absolute travesty.

It’s the victims of crime who are suffering and I hope the strike brings the facts to attention of the widest audience.
Barristers Strike on 21:27 - Jun 27 with 3753 viewsKeithHaynes

Barristers Strike on 13:36 - Jun 27 by Sirjohnalot

It must hurt John, the fact you have cases to prosecute should tell people how much work goes in to get to the point of crown court.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

Barristers Strike on 22:14 - Jun 27 with 3707 viewscontroversial_jack

I bet the police won't go in and brutalise their picket lines.
Barristers Strike on 22:18 - Jun 27 with 3702 viewsKeithHaynes

Barristers Strike on 22:14 - Jun 27 by controversial_jack

I bet the police won't go in and brutalise their picket lines.

I bet the barristers won’t turn to violence when there’s humanity at stake.

Barristers Strike on 22:27 - Jun 27 with 3678 viewscontroversial_jack

Barristers Strike on 22:18 - Jun 27 by KeithHaynes

I bet the barristers won’t turn to violence when there’s humanity at stake.

Humanity?
Barristers Strike on 22:33 - Jun 27 with 3664 viewsKeithHaynes

Barristers Strike on 22:27 - Jun 27 by controversial_jack

Humanity?

The victims mate, the victims.

Barristers Strike on 23:00 - Jun 27 with 3627 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

“I’m not saying a word without my barrister present!”

“You are the barrister”

“Exactly, so where is my present?”
Barristers Strike on 23:01 - Jun 27 with 3626 viewsSirjohnalot

Barristers Strike on 22:27 - Jun 27 by controversial_jack

Humanity?

Humanity. Yes.

Picture driving home from work, bit tired, around October, so getting dark. All of a sudden, a kid runs out in front of you. You knock them over and kill them. Witnesses swears you were speeding.
Next thing you’re in court for death by dangerous driving.

Do you want your case prepared by someone who is alert and completely focussed on you or someone who is knackered and exhausted ? Or someone who has been given the case the night before as the own barristers case has overrun as the court put another trial in the list despite him telling them he had your case ?

How about you’re a driver and have suspended from work and your case gets taken out 4-5 times due to lack of court rooms/judges/ prosecutors, even though there’s a room next door closed but available as the government refuse to pay a judge to sit ?

Or if you’re the parent waiting to see what happens ?

What if you’ve been remanded and are waiting years for your trial ?

Get found not guilty ? No compensation. Don’t qualify for legal aid and have to pay privately? Don’t get that back,

So yes. Humanity
Barristers Strike on 23:05 - Jun 27 with 3612 viewsSirjohnalot

Barristers Strike on 22:33 - Jun 27 by KeithHaynes

The victims mate, the victims.

That’s another problem, we don’t know if they’re victims till there’s a trial.

We had teachers, mental health workers, nurses with us today.

It is a myth we’re all on big bucks. I’m doing ok as I’ve been doing the job for 20 years but a lot more junior colleague are on less than minimum wage, with £60k plus of student debt. I’m taking action for them
Barristers Strike on 23:10 - Jun 27 with 3609 viewscontroversial_jack

Barristers Strike on 23:01 - Jun 27 by Sirjohnalot

Humanity. Yes.

Picture driving home from work, bit tired, around October, so getting dark. All of a sudden, a kid runs out in front of you. You knock them over and kill them. Witnesses swears you were speeding.
Next thing you’re in court for death by dangerous driving.

Do you want your case prepared by someone who is alert and completely focussed on you or someone who is knackered and exhausted ? Or someone who has been given the case the night before as the own barristers case has overrun as the court put another trial in the list despite him telling them he had your case ?

How about you’re a driver and have suspended from work and your case gets taken out 4-5 times due to lack of court rooms/judges/ prosecutors, even though there’s a room next door closed but available as the government refuse to pay a judge to sit ?

Or if you’re the parent waiting to see what happens ?

What if you’ve been remanded and are waiting years for your trial ?

Get found not guilty ? No compensation. Don’t qualify for legal aid and have to pay privately? Don’t get that back,

So yes. Humanity

I think there's been a misùnderstanding. I was referring to police beating up picketers - if that's thf correct word. They wouldn't do that to striking barristers. It was my attempt at sarcasm.
Barristers Strike on 23:11 - Jun 27 with 3604 viewsSirjohnalot

Barristers Strike on 23:10 - Jun 27 by controversial_jack

I think there's been a misùnderstanding. I was referring to police beating up picketers - if that's thf correct word. They wouldn't do that to striking barristers. It was my attempt at sarcasm.

Doh. I shall take my rant and place it back in my box
Barristers Strike on 23:31 - Jun 27 with 3578 viewscontroversial_jack

Barristers Strike on 23:11 - Jun 27 by Sirjohnalot

Doh. I shall take my rant and place it back in my box

Feel free to rant
Barristers Strike on 08:07 - Jun 28 with 3530 viewsKeithHaynes

Barristers Strike on 23:10 - Jun 27 by controversial_jack

I think there’s been a misunderstanding all round CJ 💁

This post has been edited by an administrator

Barristers Strike on 08:16 - Jun 28 with 3506 viewsWhiterockin

Barristers Strike on 23:05 - Jun 27 by Sirjohnalot

That’s another problem, we don’t know if they’re victims till there’s a trial.

We had teachers, mental health workers, nurses with us today.

It is a myth we’re all on big bucks. I’m doing ok as I’ve been doing the job for 20 years but a lot more junior colleague are on less than minimum wage, with £60k plus of student debt. I’m taking action for them

If their earning are that low the student debt does not come into the equation, but that is another debate.

All these people going on strike should think of the millions on zero hours contracts, these are the people who really need the support.
Barristers Strike on 08:21 - Jun 28 with 3487 viewstrampie

Barristers Strike on 08:16 - Jun 28 by Whiterockin

If their earning are that low the student debt does not come into the equation, but that is another debate.

All these people going on strike should think of the millions on zero hours contracts, these are the people who really need the support.

Trade unions are only concerned with relatively wealthy professions and not society as a whole particularly the poor in society.

Trade unions are like the Labour party they have become traitors to the lower paid working class and poor, come the revolution they will be treated as the elite and face the consequences.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Barristers Strike on 09:48 - Jun 28 with 3433 viewsSirjohnalot

Barristers Strike on 08:16 - Jun 28 by Whiterockin

I’ve represented people on zero hours contracts for stealing food from bins at the back of supermarkets, and put pressure on the cps to drop it and ran it to a jury trial and they’ve been acquitted.

It’s these people that will suffer as a result of numbers in our profession falling. They’ll be left either without representation or work not being done as the fees, especially in the magistrates court are so crap, the work won’t be done.
Barristers Strike on 09:56 - Jun 28 with 3411 viewsjack_lord

Barristers Strike on 12:02 - Jun 27 by onehunglow

The national average salary for a Surveyor is £37,022 in United Kingdom.
The national average salary for an Accountant is £37,956 per year in United Kingdom.
The average police officer salary is around £44,000 per year in the United Kingdom.
There are conflicting averages for architects but they get awful lot for drawing.

I always wonder why you hold such animosity to the professional vocations where learning has been required.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Barristers Strike on 10:04 - Jun 28 with 3410 viewscontroversial_jack

Barristers Strike on 09:56 - Jun 28 by jack_lord

The national average salary for a Surveyor is £37,022 in United Kingdom.
The national average salary for an Accountant is £37,956 per year in United Kingdom.
The average police officer salary is around £44,000 per year in the United Kingdom.
There are conflicting averages for architects but they get awful lot for drawing.

I always wonder why you hold such animosity to the professional vocations where learning has been required.

What learning does a police office have to do?Nothing compared to the average tradesman or paramedic or nurse.
Barristers Strike on 10:07 - Jun 28 with 3408 viewsonehunglow

Maybe we should address the causes of crime and why people make a career out of it.

The Court system has been chronic for many years and we simply have too many crimes committed and too many people doing them.

We haven't yet had any government with the guts to do so.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024