Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Opportunities 23:38 - Oct 6 with 967 viewsJack123

Serious Question here, If you were facing redundancy at the age of plus 50, and you were offered to retrain for another job, what would be the the quickest solution and the best results..

If money was no object for training fees.

Edit: Just to say in this current jobs market, And say a max of a 3 month course. Who are they crying out for?

I
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 23:46]

libera nos a malo

New Opportunities on 08:43 - Oct 7 with 881 viewsCountyJim

If you're good at driving try getting your lgv then HGV I was given 1200 for my LGV training from Welsh government when made redundant in 16 from Tata

Anyway good luck 🤞
New Opportunities on 09:39 - Oct 7 with 867 viewsWhiterockin

A trade like plumbing all day long. Tradesmen are hard to get and demand reasonably good wages and physically it should not be to strenuous at your age.

EDIT
I'm sure I saw somewhere you could do a 12 week course to start you off and gain qualifications and certificates as you progress to be licenced for gas ect. But I stand to be corrected.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2022 9:45]
New Opportunities on 10:02 - Oct 7 with 840 viewsonehunglow

New Opportunities on 09:39 - Oct 7 by Whiterockin

A trade like plumbing all day long. Tradesmen are hard to get and demand reasonably good wages and physically it should not be to strenuous at your age.

EDIT
I'm sure I saw somewhere you could do a 12 week course to start you off and gain qualifications and certificates as you progress to be licenced for gas ect. But I stand to be corrected.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2022 9:45]

Crackingbadvice.
Not all can or are legally able to do jobs.

Plumbing I d suggest

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

New Opportunities on 11:52 - Oct 7 with 790 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

New Opportunities on 10:02 - Oct 7 by onehunglow

Crackingbadvice.
Not all can or are legally able to do jobs.

Plumbing I d suggest

A trade seems good advice, there are significant shortages of good people, some aspects of plumbing are physically demanding so it's also worth looking at what's involved in being an electrician.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

New Opportunities on 12:03 - Oct 7 with 787 viewsmajorraglan

Really good question. I think the starting point is what skills, qualifications and interests do you currently have? Would you want to develop any of them in to a new career ?

Prior to my retirement last year, I planned on doing a NEBOSH course and a trainers course, but Covid messed it all up. After finishing work, I was at a loose end and took up a temporary contract in the healthcare sector, it’s been extended a few times but it’s drawing to an end and I’ll be in the same boat as you. Health service are screaming out for staff.

I know a plumber/ gas engineer and he is flat out, he is too busy and can’t stay on top of his work so there is defo a market there, but I’m not sure a 3 month course will get you where you need to be. Coleg Sir Gar in Ammanford do plumbing courses and you could give them a call. The Welsh Government have made a lot of money available for apprenticeship and training programmes and it’s worth exploring - they recognise the need to upskill etc and I know several people who’re on funded courses.
New Opportunities on 13:22 - Oct 7 with 757 viewsCountyJim

I put a thread on here while back the lecy working in my house said he struggled to get a decent youngsters these days to train because basically they just spent all day on phones so I was wondering if there where apprenticeships for the more mature shall I say
New Opportunities on 13:41 - Oct 7 with 746 viewsonehunglow

New Opportunities on 13:22 - Oct 7 by CountyJim

I put a thread on here while back the lecy working in my house said he struggled to get a decent youngsters these days to train because basically they just spent all day on phones so I was wondering if there where apprenticeships for the more mature shall I say

Summat on which we agree James

Kids need to be surgically removed from their bluddy phones and learn to create things and be tactile

New Opportunities on 13:58 - Oct 7 with 733 viewsWhiterockin

New Opportunities on 12:03 - Oct 7 by majorraglan

Really good question. I think the starting point is what skills, qualifications and interests do you currently have? Would you want to develop any of them in to a new career ?

Prior to my retirement last year, I planned on doing a NEBOSH course and a trainers course, but Covid messed it all up. After finishing work, I was at a loose end and took up a temporary contract in the healthcare sector, it’s been extended a few times but it’s drawing to an end and I’ll be in the same boat as you. Health service are screaming out for staff.

I know a plumber/ gas engineer and he is flat out, he is too busy and can’t stay on top of his work so there is defo a market there, but I’m not sure a 3 month course will get you where you need to be. Coleg Sir Gar in Ammanford do plumbing courses and you could give them a call. The Welsh Government have made a lot of money available for apprenticeship and training programmes and it’s worth exploring - they recognise the need to upskill etc and I know several people who’re on funded courses.

The 3 month training course (there are many training agencies available) will get you up to standard for water based plumbing, then develop the gas qualifications as you go along. I know a plumber who made a very good living without gas certificates. He did them but it took a while because his written English was so poo. Ihave employed numerous plumbers on projects and the jobs were water based. New bathrooms ect. You could even install central heating and get a certified plumber to do the gas. The guy I knew buddied up with a certified gas plumber who gave him work he had no time to do (certified work is obviously more lucrative) and he gave work the other way he was not qualified for. You can make it work.
Login to get fewer ads

New Opportunities on 14:32 - Oct 7 with 722 viewsScotia

I've struggled to get a tradesman of any description recently. Roofer, Carpenter, Plumber and even a Painter. I'd head down one of those routes.

My Brotehr in Law is a HGV driver and the terms and conditions (incl pay) are appalling, he sub's to Tesco mainly and they sound dangerous to work for.
New Opportunities on 14:45 - Oct 7 with 707 viewsSirjohnalot

New Opportunities on 14:32 - Oct 7 by Scotia

I've struggled to get a tradesman of any description recently. Roofer, Carpenter, Plumber and even a Painter. I'd head down one of those routes.

My Brotehr in Law is a HGV driver and the terms and conditions (incl pay) are appalling, he sub's to Tesco mainly and they sound dangerous to work for.

My plan when I retire, hopefully early 50s is to retrain and open my own diving school. I'm a rescue diver (though years out of practice) seems a great hobby to turn into a job
New Opportunities on 16:00 - Oct 7 with 672 viewsCountyJim

New Opportunities on 14:45 - Oct 7 by Sirjohnalot

My plan when I retire, hopefully early 50s is to retrain and open my own diving school. I'm a rescue diver (though years out of practice) seems a great hobby to turn into a job

A friend of mine was a TU rep left and trained to become a QC in human rights that was a big career move
New Opportunities on 17:00 - Oct 7 with 643 viewsmax936

New Opportunities on 16:00 - Oct 7 by CountyJim

A friend of mine was a TU rep left and trained to become a QC in human rights that was a big career move

You've changed careers Jimbo, you went from eating day in day out at Tata to wearing your trotters out with the NHS

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

New Opportunities on 18:42 - Oct 7 with 605 viewsKeithHaynes

PCSO ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

New Opportunities on 18:54 - Oct 7 with 602 viewsonehunglow

New Opportunities on 18:42 - Oct 7 by KeithHaynes

PCSO ?

Lol.
I detested specials and when they turned up and asked where I wanted to have them patrol,always suggested anywhere you like .
Overtime botheres

New Opportunities on 20:19 - Oct 7 with 564 viewsBoundy

New Opportunities on 12:03 - Oct 7 by majorraglan

I did my General Nebosh and IOSH a couple of years ago and these days they’re now the prerequisite for any role which involves Health &Safety so although previously having a physical job now a days I can take a step back and cringe at times watching the antics of others , all trades now are crying out for skilled craftsmen & women another is car repairs /paint spraying there’s a dire shortage of people willing to train for that particular trade

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

New Opportunities on 20:39 - Oct 7 with 545 viewsmax936

New Opportunities on 20:19 - Oct 7 by Boundy

I did my General Nebosh and IOSH a couple of years ago and these days they’re now the prerequisite for any role which involves Health &Safety so although previously having a physical job now a days I can take a step back and cringe at times watching the antics of others , all trades now are crying out for skilled craftsmen & women another is car repairs /paint spraying there’s a dire shortage of people willing to train for that particular trade

"I can take a step back and cringe at times watching the antics of others"

The antic's that you once did as well you mean, you're a poacher who has now became a game keeper!

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

New Opportunities on 12:58 - Oct 8 with 478 viewsJack123

Thank you for the replies, I must admit, I was considering something HGV, but looking at the jobs on Indeed, nearly all seem to require a year or two years experience as a necessity, but If I'm honest with myself, I would most probably hate driving professionally, familiar surroundings are great, but anywhere new, and I nearly always end up getting lost, thinking of it, couple of year ago, coming back from Newport, took the wrong lane and ended up in Cardiff.

I don't think I would be cut out for electrics or plumbing either, currently my electrical expertise is changing a light bulb, and plumbing wise unblocking a sink or toilet. So i would be right starting off on the bottom of the rung.

I suppose ideally, something which would not involve getting wet, and not too much physical exertion. Ideal little number, would be working up LLansamlet recycling tip, leaning against the skips, and telling the public which container to put their recycling in. :)

libera nos a malo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024