Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aberfan 21:52 - Oct 23 with 3802 viewsTreforys_Jack

Thought the decision to clap a mins applause for Aberfan was pretty poor. Surely both sets of fans could have given the moment the respect it was due. There were a few d#cks when Kev was talking, but surely to god a 60 sec silence would have been observed.
Aberfan on 21:54 - Oct 23 with 3019 viewsDr_Winston

Too many pissed up morons on both sides. They'd have been better off not mentioning it at all.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Aberfan on 22:16 - Oct 23 with 2944 viewsGixerJack

Clapping drowns out the morons
Aberfan on 22:19 - Oct 23 with 2931 viewsTreforys_Jack

Aberfan on 22:16 - Oct 23 by GixerJack

Clapping drowns out the morons

I agree, just don't think clapping was appropriate for this.
Aberfan on 22:47 - Oct 23 with 2880 viewsItchySphincter

I dunno, sounded to me like Kev made a last split second decision to change from silence to clapping due to the summers kicking of when he was doing his tribute.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Aberfan on 22:49 - Oct 23 with 2879 viewsBoundy

Aberfan on 22:19 - Oct 23 by Treforys_Jack

I agree, just don't think clapping was appropriate for this.

Pretty sad that the decision was probably based on the fact that some dickheads can't keep quiet for minute .Sign of the times I suppose

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Aberfan on 22:50 - Oct 23 with 2878 viewscontroversial_jack

Silence would have been more appropriate, but it's done now
Aberfan on 07:18 - Oct 24 with 2735 viewsjackal

I thought that clapping was inappropriate but I can understand why.

A minute's silence would have been an opportunity for some moron to make an idiot of himself.

It's a shame that we've come to this.
Aberfan on 07:26 - Oct 24 with 2728 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Aberfan on 22:47 - Oct 23 by ItchySphincter

I dunno, sounded to me like Kev made a last split second decision to change from silence to clapping due to the summers kicking of when he was doing his tribute.

I thought that too. There were a group of Cardiff fans shouting abuse and they wouldn’t shut up so I think he changed it to applause at the last minute.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Login to get fewer ads

Aberfan on 07:30 - Oct 24 with 2721 viewsBryanSwan

Aberfan on 07:26 - Oct 24 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I thought that too. There were a group of Cardiff fans shouting abuse and they wouldn’t shut up so I think he changed it to applause at the last minute.

Couple of morons started shouting about then got shouted at back. Kev took a brief second and if it wasn't planned i think it was clearly the right decision.

A bunch of drunk idiots would've made it a shameful spectacle if it were a minutes silence unfortunately.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Aberfan on 09:03 - Oct 24 with 2609 viewsonehunglow

It shows where we are when a human tragedy,a Welsh one at that, cannot see people reflect in silence ,for one minute.
Aberfan is part of us all.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Aberfan on 09:07 - Oct 24 with 2622 viewsowainglyndwr

Aberfan on 07:30 - Oct 24 by BryanSwan

Couple of morons started shouting about then got shouted at back. Kev took a brief second and if it wasn't planned i think it was clearly the right decision.

A bunch of drunk idiots would've made it a shameful spectacle if it were a minutes silence unfortunately.

That really annoyed me,
My Dadcu was set from the Mardy colliery that dark day .
He was mines rescue ,
It affected him to his dieing day
He even had pictures of him there that day hidden away .
He could not look at them.
Has children we would hear screams from his nightmares

A certificate of his bravery was never enough
Aberfan on 09:10 - Oct 24 with 2605 viewsonehunglow

Aberfan on 09:07 - Oct 24 by owainglyndwr

That really annoyed me,
My Dadcu was set from the Mardy colliery that dark day .
He was mines rescue ,
It affected him to his dieing day
He even had pictures of him there that day hidden away .
He could not look at them.
Has children we would hear screams from his nightmares

A certificate of his bravery was never enough

Given the subject matter,it’s hard to believe anyone couldn’t show respect for the dead the relatives of which would have been interested in the game .

Aberfan on 12:15 - Oct 24 with 2516 viewskrunchykarrot

Unfortunately, there was a lot of young bevvied up supposedly football fans of both clubs, around me there were our hard boys in their obligatory uniforms standing up shouting obscenities and in general pi$$ing everyone off. The morons were even calling for our players to break players legs, which in my time was a big no no. Disgraceful.
Aberfan on 12:22 - Oct 24 with 2502 viewsTreforys_Jack

Just feel it was shameful that the 2 biggest teams in Wales couldn't be trusted to shut the f#&@ up for 60secs. Just to clear up a few things, it was a handful of our idiots in the top of the NE stand who clearly had no idea what was going on as they were that drunk or whatever else they'd taken, which then provoked a larger group of Cardiff fans to react. Absolute mindless that we couldn't pay respects correctly to all those victims which included 116 children. These were local victims, not some far off natural disaster.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 12:32]
Aberfan on 12:34 - Oct 24 with 2462 viewsonehunglow

Aberfan on 12:15 - Oct 24 by krunchykarrot

Unfortunately, there was a lot of young bevvied up supposedly football fans of both clubs, around me there were our hard boys in their obligatory uniforms standing up shouting obscenities and in general pi$$ing everyone off. The morons were even calling for our players to break players legs, which in my time was a big no no. Disgraceful.

Pissed or sober shouldn’t have mattered. In fact drunkenness should have made it more sorrowful

Aberfan on 12:55 - Oct 24 with 2440 viewsBryanSwan

Aberfan on 12:22 - Oct 24 by Treforys_Jack

Just feel it was shameful that the 2 biggest teams in Wales couldn't be trusted to shut the f#&@ up for 60secs. Just to clear up a few things, it was a handful of our idiots in the top of the NE stand who clearly had no idea what was going on as they were that drunk or whatever else they'd taken, which then provoked a larger group of Cardiff fans to react. Absolute mindless that we couldn't pay respects correctly to all those victims which included 116 children. These were local victims, not some far off natural disaster.

Couldn't tell who started it from where I was, but a disgrace nonetheless, our fans or theirs they should be utterly ashamed.
Less than an hour up the road and it being children, but the mindless yobs of our clubs cannot even respect that.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Aberfan on 13:45 - Oct 24 with 2379 viewsKeithHaynes

That was disgraceful but modern times presents us with some seriously entitled and odd people.

I watched one of the silences for the queen, the amount of youngsters who repeatedly reached in to their pockets to check their mobile phones during two minutes was astonishing, like nodding dogs.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Aberfan on 15:52 - Oct 24 with 2292 viewsReslovenSwan1

I do not like minutes silences. Clapping is much better. Making 20,000 many drunk people normally singing filthy chants to show respect for something in particular is a big ask if you ask me

Having said that I was at a Millwall game on the same date in 2006 or so, They were going to have a minutes silence and did not expect Millwall to observe it but they did.

The rain was hammering on the roofs and momentarily i was taken to that school. I bubbled up it was very powerful. I lived in Aberdare as a kid at the time.

I saw a documentary few years back. Very moving. What was different was no one mentioned e religion and religious faith.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Aberfan on 16:03 - Oct 24 with 2276 viewsTreforys_Jack

Aberfan on 15:52 - Oct 24 by ReslovenSwan1

I do not like minutes silences. Clapping is much better. Making 20,000 many drunk people normally singing filthy chants to show respect for something in particular is a big ask if you ask me

Having said that I was at a Millwall game on the same date in 2006 or so, They were going to have a minutes silence and did not expect Millwall to observe it but they did.

The rain was hammering on the roofs and momentarily i was taken to that school. I bubbled up it was very powerful. I lived in Aberdare as a kid at the time.

I saw a documentary few years back. Very moving. What was different was no one mentioned e religion and religious faith.

I agree usually, but with respect to you, this was not an occasion for clapping, the 2 closest football clubs to the disaster applauded........ disgraceful.
Aberfan on 16:18 - Oct 24 with 2259 viewsWhiterockin

Aberfan on 16:03 - Oct 24 by Treforys_Jack

I agree usually, but with respect to you, this was not an occasion for clapping, the 2 closest football clubs to the disaster applauded........ disgraceful.

As has been said before I'm sure it was meant to be a minutes silence but Kevin John sensibly changed it when the noise started.
Aberfan on 16:47 - Oct 24 with 2223 viewsReslovenSwan1

Aberfan on 16:03 - Oct 24 by Treforys_Jack

The better of two options. A minute's silence wrecked by drunks and imbeciles in a artificially pumped up confrontary occasion would have led to bad headlines for everyone. The Daily Mail would have had a field day.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Aberfan on 16:52 - Oct 24 with 2221 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Aberfan on 15:52 - Oct 24 by ReslovenSwan1

The problem with the silence as you say is it only takes one or two idiots to shout something then people will shout to tell them to shut up, then others will tell both groups to shut up and before you know it everyone is shouting to shut up.

There was one game when we were in the prem there was a minutes silence and the people down below in the concourse didn’t know and were singing as they came up the stairs.

They are more often than not impeccably observed though on balance.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Aberfan on 17:04 - Oct 24 with 2217 viewsTreforys_Jack

I'm obviously on my own here, but clapping was disrespectful, what exactly were we clapping. I appreciate I'm probably to close to this as I had family members directly involved in this tragedy, so will make this my last post on the subject.
Aberfan on 17:36 - Oct 24 with 2183 viewsGwyn737

Aberfan on 17:04 - Oct 24 by Treforys_Jack

I'm obviously on my own here, but clapping was disrespectful, what exactly were we clapping. I appreciate I'm probably to close to this as I had family members directly involved in this tragedy, so will make this my last post on the subject.

I don’t think you are, pal.

Unfortunately I think a split second decision to move to clapping had to be made.

Very sad but was the right call not to give the idiots any airtime.
Aberfan on 12:18 - Oct 25 with 2015 viewskrunchykarrot

Aberfan on 12:22 - Oct 24 by Treforys_Jack

Thats what i observed as well, morons.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024