Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc 00:44 - Mar 29 with 2015 viewsRobbie

Looks like they have ditched their semi - pro team citing many reasons , costs not mentioned in the announcment though .

Not a massive rugby fan but try to follow local teams results and see how they are doing .
Having been involved in Turkland culture for many years I do look out for them .

If an historic and famous name in Welsh Rugby is struggling financially will the WRU bail them out , or are they skint too .

Somehow doubt Cardiff Blues will have any worries as a side to continue .

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 06:27 - Mar 29 with 1965 viewsWhiterockin

If the WRU do go all the way and get a person at the top, who really understand how a big business should work, there will be major changes in regional clubs at the very least. Expect a major restructure in the whole of Welsh rugby because as it is, its not sustainable.
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 10:44 - Mar 29 with 1898 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh rugby: Llanelli pull out of next season's Welsh Premiership - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65104927
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 11:24 - Mar 29 with 1881 viewsmax936

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 10:44 - Mar 29 by Whiterockin

Welsh rugby: Llanelli pull out of next season's Welsh Premiership - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65104927

Things are changing far to slowly, surely things need to be put in place temporarily at least well before next seasons Welsh Rugby starts, Nigel Walker saying that its going to take the next 6 to 9 months to get the people in to start to get things moving is gonna be far to late.

Welsh rugby has just been allowed to drift along under the same archaic dominant regime since the game turned professional and the result of that is what we are seeing today.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 13:21 - Mar 29 with 1842 viewsTogg

I think we need to remember it was Stuart Gallagher and Peter the Pie of Cardiff who played hardball with Moffett to get their clubs as Super clubs and not regions. It should have been proper regions with new entities.
If it would have been a couple of seasons before when Llanelli went cap in hand to the WRU they would have had no say. Unfortunately it was Swansea who were skint at this time and had to look for someone to team up with.
I've got very little sympathy as the WRU are itching to get rid of the Ospreys.
The regions should have been one in the west, one to represent the valley and one for East Wales. Too late now.
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 13:51 - Mar 29 with 1820 viewsWhiterockin

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 13:21 - Mar 29 by Togg

I think we need to remember it was Stuart Gallagher and Peter the Pie of Cardiff who played hardball with Moffett to get their clubs as Super clubs and not regions. It should have been proper regions with new entities.
If it would have been a couple of seasons before when Llanelli went cap in hand to the WRU they would have had no say. Unfortunately it was Swansea who were skint at this time and had to look for someone to team up with.
The regions should have been one in the west, one to represent the valley and one for East Wales. Too late now.

Didn't Mike Cuddy bankroll the Ospreys when they formed.

As for the Scarlets they may not be thought of as a region but the feed from a large area going west and up through the Amman Valley providing support and encouragement through the age groups and above.
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 16:42 - Mar 29 with 1783 viewshowenjack

I think Llandovery put 50 points on them last week.
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 16:44 - Mar 29 with 1781 viewsmax936

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 13:21 - Mar 29 by Togg

This.

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 16:46 - Mar 29 with 1780 viewsmax936

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 13:51 - Mar 29 by Whiterockin

As for the Scarlets they may not be thought of as a region but the feed from a large area going west and up through the Amman Valley providing support and encouragement through the age groups and above.

Mike Cuddy did yes.

Login to get fewer ads

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 17:51 - Mar 29 with 1765 viewsTogg

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 13:51 - Mar 29 by Whiterockin

Not sure on that but Cuddy went bust.
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 17:53 - Mar 29 with 1761 viewsTogg

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 17:51 - Mar 29 by Togg

To be fair Cuddy fought Neath's corner. Allegedly didn't like the Jacks but lived in the Marina.
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 18:22 - Mar 29 with 1750 viewsmax936

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 17:53 - Mar 29 by Togg

To be fair Cuddy fought Neath's corner. Allegedly didn't like the Jacks but lived in the Marina.

My brother worked for him for a little and he said he was tidy enough. Not sure on what led to the collapse of his business exactly, but his illness meant he spent a lot of time away from the business, understandably, which obviously would have played a factor

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 18:28 - Mar 29 with 1734 viewsWhiterockin

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 18:22 - Mar 29 by max936

My brother worked for him for a little and he said he was tidy enough. Not sure on what led to the collapse of his business exactly, but his illness meant he spent a lot of time away from the business, understandably, which obviously would have played a factor

A couple of years ago but a wales online piece.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/mike-cuddy-interview-tried-
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 18:35 - Mar 29 with 1728 viewsSuperjan

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 17:51 - Mar 29 by Togg

I think it was Mike James and Rob Davies , who were the money , Mike Cuddy was the public face , but could be wrong , it was a complicated birth .
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 18:53 - Mar 29 with 1716 viewsbritferry

It will be interesting to see what happens if they wish to return to the leagues one day?

As the rules stand, they'll have to start in the bottom league.

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 18:53 - Mar 29 with 1716 viewsTogg

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 18:35 - Mar 29 by Superjan

I think it was Mike James and Rob Davies , who were the money , Mike Cuddy was the public face , but could be wrong , it was a complicated birth .

After the age of 12 growing up on the outskirts of town only two teams meant anything to me. The Swans and the All Whites. I supported them both at different times and sometimes the same time, but got fed up of the violence watching the Swans away in the 80's and early 90's. So went more to the All Whites. As much as the rivalry with Llanelli and Neath was intense you could still go into any club house or near bar without trouble. I never liked Cardiff because of their pure arrogance. The self acclaimed 'best club in the world' . I never went into their club but was told ( correct me if I'm wrong) that they had a Cardiff bar members only? St Helens you went in the bar for a good time. Always remember the late great Phil Bennett and Grav having an excellent time in there after a Swansea Llanelli game
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 21:54 - Mar 29 with 1665 viewsmajorraglan

This is the Llanelli club side and not the region. Unlike some of the other regions, the Scarlets have spread their players around between Llandovery, Carmarthen and Llanelli, but the latter have been poor for a few years.
The new structure of 8 clubs will mean the regions get to nominate their feeder team and with the WRU nominating RGC as the 5th it’s only going to leave 3 of the remaining places up for grabs. I suspect the regions will nominate Cardiff, Newport, Llanelli and Swansea which will mean only 3 clubs from Bridgend, Neath, Aberavon, Pontypridd, Llandovery, Merthyr, Ebbw Vale, Pontypool and Carmarthen will get a spot. My personal view is that an area with a region shouldn’t have an “elite”club, the “elite clubs” should come from other areas as it will sustain and support the development of rugby in areas outside the regions. FWIW I’d be against the concept of “elite” clubs - I’d go for an NFL draft type arrangement when it came to regional squad and young players with teams at the bottom getting first dibs etc. which would strengthen the league and make it competitive.

Agree with your point on Cardiff, they have had a lot of influence at the WRU - too much in my view.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 21:55]
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 00:50 - Mar 30 with 1617 viewsRobbie

Sport was so easy way back when , Glamorgan with the Jones brothers , Majid , Shep and Peter Walker were my Summer days out .

Tuesday night on the North Bank in the Winter months eating a so called pasty , and then wading through the toilets for a pee , great memories and days of Doug Sharpe at the helm.

Mel Nurse must be mentioned of course for saving The Swans .

When did money start ruining sport and them never to be forgotten days were lost .
Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 09:53 - Mar 30 with 1550 viewsmagicdaps10

Welsh Rugby is a joke, I put on here a while ago that grassroots is an absolute disaster.

Trouble is and it's across the board in this land, we have too many people who think they know best, think they are always right.......typically people who are higher up in society or think they are and are out of touch with the bottom srction/that hold the foundation of the triangle.

It's a sad state of affairs regards Llanelli and something that shouldn't have been allowed to happen but this could cause a domino affect unfortunately.
I fear for Welsh Rugby and I fear for society.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 09:57 - Mar 30 with 1539 viewsonehunglow

Scarlets / Llanelli rfc on 18:53 - Mar 29 by Togg

After the age of 12 growing up on the outskirts of town only two teams meant anything to me. The Swans and the All Whites. I supported them both at different times and sometimes the same time, but got fed up of the violence watching the Swans away in the 80's and early 90's. So went more to the All Whites. As much as the rivalry with Llanelli and Neath was intense you could still go into any club house or near bar without trouble. I never liked Cardiff because of their pure arrogance. The self acclaimed 'best club in the world' . I never went into their club but was told ( correct me if I'm wrong) that they had a Cardiff bar members only? St Helens you went in the bar for a good time. Always remember the late great Phil Bennett and Grav having an excellent time in there after a Swansea Llanelli game

Wonderful,just wonderful.
Moist here

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024