Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
English council elections 12:18 - May 5 with 3364 viewsGwyn737

Looks increasingly like the Tories will lose over a thousand seats which would be worse than the number they put out as the worst case scenario and for expectation managment.

This follows an equally poor performance in 2019. There is a difference between the two in that Labour aslo perfomed pretty poorly in 2019.

I reckon this is partly due to Starmer replacing Corbyn but more that not being able to afford your weekly shop or get a GP appointment is more important to people than childish woke culture wars and being nasty to immigrants.
English council elections on 12:47 - May 5 with 2174 viewsWhiterockin

The Lib Dem's seem to be doing very well at the moment. Labour only picking up just over half of the Tory losses is a surprise to me, I expected them to get more. Still quite a few results to come in though.
English council elections on 12:51 - May 5 with 2166 viewsGwyn737

English council elections on 12:47 - May 5 by Whiterockin

The Lib Dem's seem to be doing very well at the moment. Labour only picking up just over half of the Tory losses is a surprise to me, I expected them to get more. Still quite a few results to come in though.

I think there's quite a lot of tactical votong going on.

Whether it's straight anti-Tory or just a thirst for more liberal politics I'm not sure.
English council elections on 13:39 - May 5 with 2133 viewspencoedjack

English council elections on 12:51 - May 5 by Gwyn737

Whether it's straight anti-Tory or just a thirst for more liberal politics I'm not sure.

Just what this country needs to become more liberal
English council elections on 13:47 - May 5 with 2123 viewsWhiterockin

English council elections on 12:51 - May 5 by Gwyn737

To me it shows that Labour need to stand up and be counted and not expect the Tory drop in votes to just land in their lap. Otherwise they will not get the landslide general election result they are expecting. Obviously Wales is another matter.
English council elections on 14:15 - May 5 with 2112 viewsGwyn737

English council elections on 13:39 - May 5 by pencoedjack

Just what this country needs to become more liberal

Depends of the defintion of liberal, Penc.

Nobody can look at these results coming in and think "That's because the Tories havent been right leaning enough". There's no room left to the right to pick up voters, really.

This is the first election in years UKIP has 0 seats. We've a good idea where these voters are now...
English council elections on 15:23 - May 5 with 2075 viewsFlashberryjack

English council elections on 14:15 - May 5 by Gwyn737

Depends of the defintion of liberal, Penc.

Nobody can look at these results coming in and think "That's because the Tories havent been right leaning enough". There's no room left to the right to pick up voters, really.

This is the first election in years UKIP has 0 seats. We've a good idea where these voters are now...

Can't wait for the Welsh council elections, even more Labour councils to carry on the great work they've done for Wales over the last twenty odd years.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

English council elections on 16:06 - May 5 with 2050 viewsbritferry

The politicians on the telly, brilliant bunch of liars

Its like the blooturds getting stuffed 10-1 and WOL saying they scored the best goal and things look positive

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

English council elections on 16:24 - May 5 with 2045 viewsGwyn737

English council elections on 15:23 - May 5 by Flashberryjack

Can't wait for the Welsh council elections, even more Labour councils to carry on the great work they've done for Wales over the last twenty odd years.

And when they do people will have the choice to chuck them out.

It’s up to the Tories to provide a viable alternative. At the minute they clearly don’t.
Login to get fewer ads

English council elections on 16:49 - May 5 with 2022 viewsWhiterockin

English council elections on 16:24 - May 5 by Gwyn737

And when they do people will have the choice to chuck them out.

It’s up to the Tories to provide a viable alternative. At the minute they clearly don’t.

Well it's unlikely to be Plaid after recent events.
English council elections on 16:52 - May 5 with 2009 viewsGwyn737

English council elections on 16:49 - May 5 by Whiterockin

Well it's unlikely to be Plaid after recent events.

Tend not to comment that often on Welsh politics as I live away so am not immersed in it.

If Plaid do implode it’ll be interesting to see where the protest vote goes.

I live in the bluest of Tory areas, no way a Labour candidate would get in. I went
Lib Dem this time out.
English council elections on 16:55 - May 5 with 2006 viewsGwyn737

Dover has gone to Labour.

It’s almost as if standing on the coast wistfully staring out to the channel pointing at small boats and complaining about unisex toilets wasn’t enough.
English council elections on 16:59 - May 5 with 2004 viewsGwyn737

Oh. My. Word.

Tories have lost my district. First time in 50 years.
English council elections on 17:03 - May 5 with 1991 viewsWhiterockin

English council elections on 16:59 - May 5 by Gwyn737

Oh. My. Word.

Tories have lost my district. First time in 50 years.

Was it to Lib Dem?
English council elections on 17:06 - May 5 with 1974 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Liberals and greens have gained more seats than Labour who's share of the vote is about the same as in the last local elections.

If this was repeated in a general election it would result in a hung parliament.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

English council elections on 17:07 - May 5 with 1976 viewsGwyn737

English council elections on 17:03 - May 5 by Whiterockin

Was it to Lib Dem?

No overall control but Lib Dem looking like having the most seats.
English council elections on 17:10 - May 5 with 1962 viewsWhiterockin

English council elections on 17:07 - May 5 by Gwyn737

You can never tell in politics, but I expect the odds on a hung parliament next election are shortening.
English council elections on 17:10 - May 5 with 1962 viewsGwyn737

English council elections on 17:06 - May 5 by felixstowe_jack

Liberals and greens have gained more seats than Labour who's share of the vote is about the same as in the last local elections.

If this was repeated in a general election it would result in a hung parliament.

I’m not a committed Labour supporter so wouldn’t mind that.

The 80 majority is massive and would take something remarkable to overturn it. I’d be happy with a liberally minded majority this time out.
English council elections on 17:21 - May 5 with 1939 viewsGwyn737

English council elections on 17:07 - May 5 by Gwyn737

Full results in and its crackers.

Lib Dem 13 (+9)
Green 11 (+9)
Independents 10 (+5)
Conservative 8 (-26)
Labour 3 (+3)
English council elections on 19:41 - May 5 with 1870 viewswaynekerr55

Which, given the mess Corbyn left behind is an absolute miracle. What odds would we have got from the bookies in Dec 2019?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

English council elections on 19:59 - May 5 with 1837 viewsonehunglow

English council elections on 19:41 - May 5 by waynekerr55

Which, given the mess Corbyn left behind is an absolute miracle. What odds would we have got from the bookies in Dec 2019?

No overall control here
Sums me up really

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

English council elections on 20:07 - May 5 with 1823 viewsmajorraglan

The most recent update from the Daily Telegraph is if this result were to be repeated at a GE, Labour would have a majority of 56, but we’re a long way off a GE so who knows.

The Conservatives have now lost over a 1000 seats, the previous worse case scenario from people like Sir John Curtis was 1,000 seats, we’re past that with 8 councils still to declare.

I don’t think we can read too much in to this as we’re some way off a GE and I can’t see the Greens showing as well then.
English council elections on 20:25 - May 5 with 1817 viewsSullutaCreturned

English council elections on 17:21 - May 5 by Gwyn737

Full results in and its crackers.

Lib Dem 13 (+9)
Green 11 (+9)
Independents 10 (+5)
Conservative 8 (-26)
Labour 3 (+3)

The LD's often do quite well in the locals but it hardly ever translates to a GE. They are often a protest vote, in my opinion.

All these experts can predict what they like in the next GE but none of us know what will happen before then. I doubt the tories can improve enough to win the next GE, but strange things do happen sometimes!
English council elections on 21:35 - May 5 with 1770 viewsWhiterockin

English council elections on 20:07 - May 5 by majorraglan

The most recent update from the Daily Telegraph is if this result were to be repeated at a GE, Labour would have a majority of 56, but we’re a long way off a GE so who knows.

The Conservatives have now lost over a 1000 seats, the previous worse case scenario from people like Sir John Curtis was 1,000 seats, we’re past that with 8 councils still to declare.

I don’t think we can read too much in to this as we’re some way off a GE and I can’t see the Greens showing as well then.

I don't see how you can look at English local elections and transfer that to a UK General Election. The Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland results would be completely different. 18 months down the line the political landscape could also be completely different as would any protest vote. I'm still betting on a hung parliament as things stand.
English council elections on 21:43 - May 5 with 1743 viewsmajorraglan

English council elections on 21:35 - May 5 by Whiterockin

I don't see how you can look at English local elections and transfer that to a UK General Election. The Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland results would be completely different. 18 months down the line the political landscape could also be completely different as would any protest vote. I'm still betting on a hung parliament as things stand.

I’m only going on what the pollsters and pundits in the Daily Telegraph are saying. Given all the sleaze we’ve seen and the antics of Boris and Truss, Im a bit surprised they’ll still got around 25% of the vote.
English council elections on 22:00 - May 5 with 1730 viewsGwyn737

English council elections on 21:43 - May 5 by majorraglan

I’m only going on what the pollsters and pundits in the Daily Telegraph are saying. Given all the sleaze we’ve seen and the antics of Boris and Truss, Im a bit surprised they’ll still got around 25% of the vote.

I think a hung parliament is probably favourite at the moment.

Long term I think there’s a change coming as young people grow up poorer. Historically people move to the right with age, for reasons better put by Stuart Lee:

This won’t necessarily be the case going forward.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024