Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Discrimination of the elderly 08:27 - Feb 19 with 3042 viewsBoundy

Plans to make over 65's resit their test , strange then that most accidents are caused by kids having just passed their test ( age group 20 -29 ) , hence the high risk premium they have to pay along with a black box fitted.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/motorists-call-out-plans-demanding-elderly-d

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Discrimination of the elderly on 08:55 - Feb 19 with 1408 viewsonehunglow

They should be looking at increasingly minimum age and restricting BHP on cars for under 25 s

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:11 - Feb 19 with 1366 viewsjackrmee

It’s all about money mun.
The more things/courses they can make everyone pay for, the better.
Simple as that. They just want more money. It’s not about safety, as per usual

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:19 - Feb 19 with 1363 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:11 - Feb 19 by jackrmee

It’s all about money mun.
The more things/courses they can make everyone pay for, the better.
Simple as that. They just want more money. It’s not about safety, as per usual

Agreed
It’s very misguided indeed
Old people rarely cause trouble ,they just get on with it

Discrimination of the elderly on 18:08 - Feb 19 with 1269 viewsSullutaCreturned

Now I agree with older people having to take some kind of driving assessment but at state retirement and NOT a full test.

I was thinking an 90 mins in a car with an instructor , they tell you to take them somewhere and return to start which must include a stretch of motorway and they assess your driving. It's done in your own car and you have to pay for the instructors time and repeated every 2 years.

Younger drivers should be more restricted too, no bigger an engine than 1.2 until they have 5 years of driving. Obviously there have to be some clauses because they could get a HGV license or a PCV.
Discrimination of the elderly on 18:19 - Feb 19 with 1259 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 18:08 - Feb 19 by SullutaCreturned

Now I agree with older people having to take some kind of driving assessment but at state retirement and NOT a full test.

I was thinking an 90 mins in a car with an instructor , they tell you to take them somewhere and return to start which must include a stretch of motorway and they assess your driving. It's done in your own car and you have to pay for the instructors time and repeated every 2 years.

Younger drivers should be more restricted too, no bigger an engine than 1.2 until they have 5 years of driving. Obviously there have to be some clauses because they could get a HGV license or a PCV.

I’d willingly pit my driving skills against any kid under 25 .
There’s much we could do regarding safer driving
Life bans for drug drivers
10 year minimum ban for drink drivers with confiscation of vehicle.
Confiscation of vehicle Lord mobile phone use
Uninsured drivers MADE to pay full compensation for damage to other vehicles in RTC and damage to public property .

Death caused by dangerous driving treated as man slaughter

Discrimination of the elderly on 19:03 - Feb 19 with 1250 viewsSullutaCreturned

Discrimination of the elderly on 18:19 - Feb 19 by onehunglow

I’d willingly pit my driving skills against any kid under 25 .
There’s much we could do regarding safer driving
Life bans for drug drivers
10 year minimum ban for drink drivers with confiscation of vehicle.
Confiscation of vehicle Lord mobile phone use
Uninsured drivers MADE to pay full compensation for damage to other vehicles in RTC and damage to public property .

Death caused by dangerous driving treated as man slaughter

I can agree, mostly but if you break the law in a car and kill someone as a result I think it's murder.

EG, doing 50 in a 30 zone...murder.
Discrimination of the elderly on 19:30 - Feb 19 with 1229 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 19:03 - Feb 19 by SullutaCreturned

I can agree, mostly but if you break the law in a car and kill someone as a result I think it's murder.

EG, doing 50 in a 30 zone...murder.

One of the things that makes me pukecwhen Tories say they are or were the party of law and order.
Laughable and just as soft as Labour on the sheete that plague us
I did have a conversation with Ken Clarkeconce and he was ok ,for a barrister.
Loved a drink did KC

Discrimination of the elderly on 22:23 - Feb 19 with 1189 viewsmajorraglan

There’s no plans in being to make older people resit their test, all that’s happened is some bloke has started a petition. There’s nearly 1400 petitions on the HMG web site and only about 70 have reached 5 figures.

Youngsters are responsible for most accidents, however some claim that older people have more incidents per mile driven and there are clear statistics that back up this claim. However, we all know the saying “there are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics”

My view is that an older drivers ability to drive should be subject to scrutiny and potentially a retest, but not at 65 years of age. As is the case now, medical conditions should infirm decision making but in general I think the figure should be set in the late 70’s to 80 range.
Login to get fewer ads

Discrimination of the elderly on 22:59 - Feb 19 with 1166 viewsBryanSwan

Discrimination of the elderly on 18:08 - Feb 19 by SullutaCreturned

I think most studies seem to agree that 70 is the age that really starts to show decline in driving ability. Which obviously gets continues to get worse from there.

The idea of a short "test" with an instructor is pretty reasonable, not as formal as a driving test but would help to prevent some truely dangerous drivers taking the road. IF public transport were better maybe they wouldnt feel the need.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Discrimination of the elderly on 23:13 - Feb 19 with 1147 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 22:59 - Feb 19 by BryanSwan

I think most studies seem to agree that 70 is the age that really starts to show decline in driving ability. Which obviously gets continues to get worse from there.

The idea of a short "test" with an instructor is pretty reasonable, not as formal as a driving test but would help to prevent some truely dangerous drivers taking the road. IF public transport were better maybe they wouldnt feel the need.

I'm 74 and still class myself as a good driver
That said , I learned to drive on a farm at 15 , passed bike test at 16 , car at 17 and Pilice trained Class 1 on both car and bike
Only difference is I drive slower as roads become more congested
I got rid of my motor cycles ten years ago as the fun had gone
The worst drivers are the least able to anticipate hazards and react and proact. Invariably these are young drivers who are think they are infallible

Discrimination of the elderly on 23:21 - Feb 19 with 1141 viewsmajorraglan

Discrimination of the elderly on 23:13 - Feb 19 by onehunglow

That said , I learned to drive on a farm at 15 , passed bike test at 16 , car at 17 and Pilice trained Class 1 on both car and bike
The worst drivers are the least able to anticipate hazards and react and proact. Invariably these are young drivers who are think they are infallible

To be fair the level of training and exposure you’ve had is much greater than most people of your age or any age came to that and they are life skills you don’t forget. I agree with your comments about the worst drivers being the least able, but there’s a fair few older drivers who come in to that too.

The young drivers definitely believe they are infallible.
Discrimination of the elderly on 00:12 - Feb 20 with 1126 viewsRobbie

Time for me to throw the towel in then as a motorist then , approaching Big 70 soon .

Today had to go into a nonsense phone call with my current provider , premium up £120 .
I drive a wind up toy small car , protected no claims added , they were having a laugh .

Ride a motorbike also covered by provider , in both areas of abilities I never see myself a danger to other road users ,

Of course Insurance Companies will lay the blame on Garage costs , repairs , price of the replacment parts etc , etc .

Who is targeting Drink and Drug drivers now , boy racers acting like morons at all hours of the night , tailgaters . I could go on . Traffic Division patrols about in my area , forget it .

OK though , I will cover their outlay on cover to drive safely , not a problem .
Discrimination of the elderly on 05:44 - Feb 20 with 1100 viewsangryjack

I was up dunelm the other day and the car park was nearly empty,some old sl@g about 75 came and parked right next to me,where there was loads and loads of spaces,gave herself no room to get out and just opened her door and dented my passenger door,I got out and she blatantly denied it,the old c@nts shouldn't be on road..
[Post edited 20 Feb 8:05]
Discrimination of the elderly on 07:08 - Feb 20 with 1083 viewsBryanSwan

Discrimination of the elderly on 23:13 - Feb 19 by onehunglow

I don't doubt that, as with most things it is a minority of people in both the young and old catergories.
It really is a difficult one as some persons as they get older (older than 74, some drive well into their 80s) start to lose their judgement and invariably do drive slower to account. Taking away their licence though has a whole other raft of implications namely isolation.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Discrimination of the elderly on 08:47 - Feb 20 with 1042 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 07:08 - Feb 20 by BryanSwan

I don't doubt that, as with most things it is a minority of people in both the young and old catergories.
It really is a difficult one as some persons as they get older (older than 74, some drive well into their 80s) start to lose their judgement and invariably do drive slower to account. Taking away their licence though has a whole other raft of implications namely isolation.

And no kids ,you cant drive with
1 Snoop Dog slapping his bitches up on the sound system half the size of a Corsa
2. Munching on a McDonalds
3.Sipping a Costa coffee
4. Having a smoke
5 Texting your mum or chum

Nice feature in car meets just now with young d1cks reclining they can drive souped up Vauxhalls around roundabouts wheels a spinning .

Only 70 olds around were walking their dogs

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:27 - Feb 20 with 1029 viewsjack247

Won’t be popular but I agree with the principle behind this. As peoples eyesight and reactions deteriorate, the priority should be on safety, not whether it’s discriminatory.

I think re-sitting the test is very harsh though. Plenty of capable drivers wouldn’t pass it after years of habits that don’t cause any danger, but would fail you a formulaic test. Much easier to pass that when it’s all you know.

Surely basic aptitude tests would satisfy the safety element and not force people who are no danger off the road over minor tick box faults.
Discrimination of the elderly on 09:56 - Feb 20 with 1015 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:27 - Feb 20 by jack247

Won’t be popular but I agree with the principle behind this. As peoples eyesight and reactions deteriorate, the priority should be on safety, not whether it’s discriminatory.

I think re-sitting the test is very harsh though. Plenty of capable drivers wouldn’t pass it after years of habits that don’t cause any danger, but would fail you a formulaic test. Much easier to pass that when it’s all you know.

Surely basic aptitude tests would satisfy the safety element and not force people who are no danger off the road over minor tick box faults.

Young drivers are trained to pass a rudimentary driving test.
Having done so,they can take the wheel of anything within the conditions of their licence .
You mention eyesight “ failing”. I ll trump that with excess testosterone in those who don’t have the experience ,aptitude ,and concentration levels to perceive hazards on the roads .
Pointless having 20/20 vision if you cannot interpret that which you see .
Compare motor cycling advanced courses with cars . You are far more aware of hazards on a bike as they will kill or maim yiu in an instant as yiu have no cage of steel around you.
How many young drivers actually look ahead into the horizon ,following tree lines or telegraph poles .
How many check their vehicle every time before they start off.

Older people have been shat on for far too long in this country and many posts on social media evidence this .

In short,young people these days are the most naive ,shallow,entitled and self conscious ,not to say ignorant generation ever .

Just as well,we don’t have to rely on them to fight for our country

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:09 - Feb 20 with 1011 viewsjack247

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:56 - Feb 20 by onehunglow

Young drivers are trained to pass a rudimentary driving test.
Having done so,they can take the wheel of anything within the conditions of their licence .
You mention eyesight “ failing”. I ll trump that with excess testosterone in those who don’t have the experience ,aptitude ,and concentration levels to perceive hazards on the roads .
Pointless having 20/20 vision if you cannot interpret that which you see .
Compare motor cycling advanced courses with cars . You are far more aware of hazards on a bike as they will kill or maim yiu in an instant as yiu have no cage of steel around you.
How many young drivers actually look ahead into the horizon ,following tree lines or telegraph poles .
How many check their vehicle every time before they start off.

Older people have been shat on for far too long in this country and many posts on social media evidence this .

In short,young people these days are the most naive ,shallow,entitled and self conscious ,not to say ignorant generation ever .

Just as well,we don’t have to rely on them to fight for our country

I’m not disputing any of the issues caused by young drivers. Agree with everything you’ve said there. The point about driving experience is especially valid.

They cause a lot more accidents. There are a lot more restrictions on them. Black box, 6 point bans, sky high insurance.

It’s going off the point though. Their eyesight, hearing and reaction times aren’t deteriorating, as most people’s naturally do as they get older. As it stands, once you’re driving, you can do so for the rest of your life without question. I’d rather we offend people who currently have no restrictions at all, but may well no longer be road safe if it reduces crashes and fatalities.
Discrimination of the elderly on 10:22 - Feb 20 with 1004 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Discrimination of the elderly on 08:47 - Feb 20 by onehunglow

And no kids ,you cant drive with
1 Snoop Dog slapping his bitches up on the sound system half the size of a Corsa
2. Munching on a McDonalds
3.Sipping a Costa coffee
4. Having a smoke
5 Texting your mum or chum

Nice feature in car meets just now with young d1cks reclining they can drive souped up Vauxhalls around roundabouts wheels a spinning .

Only 70 olds around were walking their dogs

Snoop Dogg? He was slapping dem bitches up over 30 years ago. Can’t imagine any self respecting young driver listening to that boomer.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:29 - Feb 20 with 994 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:09 - Feb 20 by jack247

I’m not disputing any of the issues caused by young drivers. Agree with everything you’ve said there. The point about driving experience is especially valid.

They cause a lot more accidents. There are a lot more restrictions on them. Black box, 6 point bans, sky high insurance.

It’s going off the point though. Their eyesight, hearing and reaction times aren’t deteriorating, as most people’s naturally do as they get older. As it stands, once you’re driving, you can do so for the rest of your life without question. I’d rather we offend people who currently have no restrictions at all, but may well no longer be road safe if it reduces crashes and fatalities.

I use glasses .
I also gave hearing aids
I rarely listen to music in my car as I concentrate on the road ahead and behind me
Driving is different to when I first git a licence in 1966
Cars ,however far easier to drive and more reliable . Mortar bikes more so. I has an Ariel Arrow once, and a Suzuki GT550,basically a bitch that oscillated under acceleration .
I digress now

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:36 - Feb 20 with 990 viewsjack247

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:29 - Feb 20 by onehunglow

I use glasses .
I also gave hearing aids
I rarely listen to music in my car as I concentrate on the road ahead and behind me
Cars ,however far easier to drive and more reliable . Mortar bikes more so. I has an Ariel Arrow once, and a Suzuki GT550,basically a bitch that oscillated under acceleration .
I digress now

That’s exactly the point. You probably didn’t need glasses or hearing aids 20/30/40 years ago.

It’s not a purge on over 65s. It’s checking people are still physically capable of driving safely.
Discrimination of the elderly on 13:05 - Feb 20 with 938 viewsWhiterockin

I believe the biggest issue is the slowing of reaction times. All the training and experience in the world will not hold back the ageing process.
Discrimination of the elderly on 13:23 - Feb 20 with 929 viewslifelong

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:29 - Feb 20 by onehunglow

I use glasses .
I also gave hearing aids
I digress now

I also wear glasses to drive, wear hearing aids and have a partial set of false teeth.

Us over 70’s have to renew our driving licence every 3 years and it is a legal condition that we report on the application any new health conditions which may be detrimental to us regarding driving.

I would find it acceptable if this regulation was amended to every 12 months after the age of 75, obviously this would incur extra costs.
Discrimination of the elderly on 13:31 - Feb 20 with 919 viewsWhiterockin

Discrimination of the elderly on 13:23 - Feb 20 by lifelong

I also wear glasses to drive, wear hearing aids and have a partial set of false teeth.

Us over 70’s have to renew our driving licence every 3 years and it is a legal condition that we report on the application any new health conditions which may be detrimental to us regarding driving.

I would find it acceptable if this regulation was amended to every 12 months after the age of 75, obviously this would incur extra costs.

I don't disagree with anything there, but shouldn't the health conditions be automatically notified to the DVLA.
Discrimination of the elderly on 15:45 - Feb 20 with 861 viewsonehunglow

And another thing…Drink and drug driving is off the scale at the moment . Talk to an operational officer rather than a talking tie .
It is rare indeed to find over 60 s impaired thus and under 30 s primarily so via dope.

These are real killers

So ,someone has to use glasses to drive ? So bluddy what.
I’d rather be a passenger with Lifey than any 22 yr old ,thanks .

Experience is something you can’t train for .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024