Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Discrimination of the elderly 08:27 - Feb 19 with 3067 viewsBoundy

Plans to make over 65's resit their test , strange then that most accidents are caused by kids having just passed their test ( age group 20 -29 ) , hence the high risk premium they have to pay along with a black box fitted.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/motorists-call-out-plans-demanding-elderly-d

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:30 - Feb 22 with 625 viewsWhiterockin

Discrimination of the elderly on 18:42 - Feb 21 by onehunglow

A good 80% of drivers would fail their test if they took it today
An advanced course would both terrify and destroy their egos
Everyone things he's a good driver
Fact
Try it and tell a chum
He's a crap driver

Try and tell an elderly relative that it it is time for them to stop driving for the safety of others as well as themselves. Particularly when they will lose their independence. Its not easy but it has to be done sometimes. Sensible government checks/tests in place would make this so much easier.
Discrimination of the elderly on 09:34 - Feb 22 with 616 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:30 - Feb 22 by Whiterockin

Try and tell an elderly relative that it it is time for them to stop driving for the safety of others as well as themselves. Particularly when they will lose their independence. Its not easy but it has to be done sometimes. Sensible government checks/tests in place would make this so much easier.

Older people in deepest Powys are virtually house bound without their vehicle
Looking at the comments on another thread about the increased awareness of driving with cannabis in the system, I’d say the old/ elderly are the last people to hound off the roads .
The attitude of “ younger” people ends up killing them.
They can’t see it

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:43 - Feb 22 with 605 viewsWhiterockin

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:34 - Feb 22 by onehunglow

Older people in deepest Powys are virtually house bound without their vehicle
Looking at the comments on another thread about the increased awareness of driving with cannabis in the system, I’d say the old/ elderly are the last people to hound off the roads .
The attitude of “ younger” people ends up killing them.
They can’t see it

I can see you are not open minded enough to absorb the serious point I made.
Discrimination of the elderly on 09:51 - Feb 22 with 593 viewsjack247

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:30 - Feb 22 by Whiterockin

The most sensible post in 4 pages.
Discrimination of the elderly on 10:14 - Feb 22 with 568 viewsswan65split

ok if you live in a large town/city where they have a decent train/bus service innit?
Discrimination of the elderly on 10:18 - Feb 22 with 564 viewsWhiterockin

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:14 - Feb 22 by swan65split

ok if you live in a large town/city where they have a decent train/bus service innit?

Are you saying it is acceptable to let someone drive when they are clearly a danger to themselves and others, if there is a lack of public transport.
Discrimination of the elderly on 10:39 - Feb 22 with 541 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Discrimination of the elderly on 18:42 - Feb 21 by onehunglow

A good 80% of drivers would fail their test if they took it today
An advanced course would both terrify and destroy their egos
Everyone things he's a good driver
Fact
Try it and tell a chum
He's a crap driver

The tests these days are farcical. A lot of the questions aren’t about driving or road safety they are about emissions and the environment. One of my friends was learning and showed me the practice test app she had. There were questions on the process of how an effective and functioning catalytic converters lower emissions and protect the environment.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Discrimination of the elderly on 13:24 - Feb 22 with 488 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:43 - Feb 22 by Whiterockin

What
I’m pretty open minded as my posts of over 20 yrs show
I do have principles and sone views evidence that
I stand my every word
It’s tough to live in a rural area without one’s own transport
That’s my serious point,viz,isolating older people when young doped up shites kill whole families

Have a look at the results

Login to get fewer ads

Discrimination of the elderly on 15:12 - Feb 22 with 446 viewsFlashberryjack

Discrimination of the elderly on 10:39 - Feb 22 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

The tests these days are farcical. A lot of the questions aren’t about driving or road safety they are about emissions and the environment. One of my friends was learning and showed me the practice test app she had. There were questions on the process of how an effective and functioning catalytic converters lower emissions and protect the environment.

Is that true ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Discrimination of the elderly on 16:02 - Feb 22 with 430 viewsWhiterockin

Discrimination of the elderly on 13:24 - Feb 22 by onehunglow

What
I’m pretty open minded as my posts of over 20 yrs show
I do have principles and sone views evidence that
I stand my every word
It’s tough to live in a rural area without one’s own transport
That’s my serious point,viz,isolating older people when young doped up shites kill whole families

Have a look at the results

I have never disputed that it's tough to live in rural areas with poor public transport. But is that an excuse to allow some elderly drivers to continue to drive when it is clearly dangerous to the public and themselves to continue.

It just seems to me that some are approaching the age where a decision might be needed for them to continue driving and they are looking for excuses. I am also in this bracket and accept what will be will be.
Discrimination of the elderly on 16:05 - Feb 22 with 419 viewsjack247

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:43 - Feb 22 by Whiterockin

When people can’t see the reasoning and keep responding with….yeah but young people though….

It’s going to go in circles at best.
Discrimination of the elderly on 16:08 - Feb 22 with 415 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Discrimination of the elderly on 16:05 - Feb 22 by jack247

When people can’t see the reasoning and keep responding with….yeah but young people though….

It’s going to go in circles at best.

Going round in circles? Sounds like a broken steering wheel rather than a dodgy driver.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Discrimination of the elderly on 16:23 - Feb 22 with 403 viewsSullutaCreturned

Discrimination of the elderly on 09:05 - Feb 21 by onehunglow

No
Absolutely,it is.
It is all about reactions.
Smoke dope and your re@cations are impaired.
If you do so,stop it ,as I like our jousts

I’m looking at another car this morning

Over cautious driving IS dangerous. I was nearly run off a motorway by a combination of speeding and somebody being over cautious and doing less than 30 (guess) on the M4.

A hote van cut me up, I was doing around 65, he forced me into the inside lane and I nearly smacked into a car being driven so slowly that I was then forced onto the hard shoulder; with my ABS juddering and slowing quickly I was still overtaking the "slow" car. I think they may have been doing 20-25mph.

How is that not dangerous?
Discrimination of the elderly on 18:16 - Feb 22 with 358 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 16:23 - Feb 22 by SullutaCreturned

Over cautious driving IS dangerous. I was nearly run off a motorway by a combination of speeding and somebody being over cautious and doing less than 30 (guess) on the M4.

A hote van cut me up, I was doing around 65, he forced me into the inside lane and I nearly smacked into a car being driven so slowly that I was then forced onto the hard shoulder; with my ABS juddering and slowing quickly I was still overtaking the "slow" car. I think they may have been doing 20-25mph.

How is that not dangerous?

It’s interpretation Cat
One can never be too cautious if youfollow the definition.
It’s like the second mirror check that nobody does
Lack of caution is far worse
Do not conflate driving too “ slow” with caution
Much depends on road conditions
I could go on

Keep it tidy

Discrimination of the elderly on 18:29 - Feb 22 with 356 viewsGwyn737

Discrimination of the elderly on 15:12 - Feb 22 by Flashberryjack

Is that true ?

Not really. I’ve been doing practice tests with my nephew.

There are 750 odd questions and 50 are selected for each test.

Out of the 750 there are about 5 that you could argue are environmental ones. They’re here:

https://theorytest.org.uk/driving-theory-test-questions/?_sft_test_topics=safety
Discrimination of the elderly on 19:14 - Feb 22 with 339 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 18:29 - Feb 22 by Gwyn737

Out of the 750 there are about 5 that you could argue are environmental ones. They’re here:

https://theorytest.org.uk/driving-theory-test-questions/?_sft_test_topics=safety

Theory is fine
However,it’s all about being out there on public roads

Trying to advise young drivers is going around in circles.
They don’t wise up until they are lying in a coffin draped in their favourite football shirt

Discrimination of the elderly on 21:07 - Feb 22 with 308 viewsmajorraglan

Discrimination of the elderly on 18:29 - Feb 22 by Gwyn737

Had a butchers at this, lots of common sense and things young people need to be aware of.

I did the situational judgement tests with my kid and found them to be quite difficult. If you have very good awareness and can anticipate hazards in advance, then you can be failed for pressing the button too early. I think the tests are more difficult these days than they were when I passed.
Discrimination of the elderly on 23:03 - Feb 22 with 266 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 21:07 - Feb 22 by majorraglan

Had a butchers at this, lots of common sense and things young people need to be aware of.

I did the situational judgement tests with my kid and found them to be quite difficult. If you have very good awareness and can anticipate hazards in advance, then you can be failed for pressing the button too early. I think the tests are more difficult these days than they were when I passed.

Cars today are also so much easier to control
I passed my car test in a car with two bench seats and no synchromesh gearbox
Ask a kid about double declutching .

Discrimination of the elderly on 23:58 - Feb 22 with 248 viewsmajorraglan

Discrimination of the elderly on 23:03 - Feb 22 by onehunglow

Cars today are also so much easier to control
I passed my car test in a car with two bench seats and no synchromesh gearbox
Ask a kid about double declutching .

Indeed they are, but these days learners have to contend with jerks on their phone, far more speed limits than we were subject to, 20, 30,20,30,40, 20 etc, there a lot more traffic on the road, when I did my test the were 20m vehicles on the road, now there are around 33m plus these electric scooters, more pedestrians and cyclists.
Discrimination of the elderly on 09:07 - Feb 23 with 178 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination of the elderly on 23:58 - Feb 22 by majorraglan

Indeed they are, but these days learners have to contend with jerks on their phone, far more speed limits than we were subject to, 20, 30,20,30,40, 20 etc, there a lot more traffic on the road, when I did my test the were 20m vehicles on the road, now there are around 33m plus these electric scooters, more pedestrians and cyclists.

Fair points
I’ve advocating really fighting phone use.
On the phone whilst driving should lead to car confiscation .
We either fight these. Urges or we don’t

I read the Govt is “ looking at” increasing sentences for drug driving .looking at.ffs .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024