Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales top scorers 18:09 - Mar 22 with 834 viewsReslovenSwan1

Dan James has a very decent goal scoring record for Wales moving on to 7 for his nation. He has a headed goal among them.

He has moved level with Simon Davies, Ian Walsh, Robbie James and Gary Speed and is only 26.

Moore has 12 and Wales more reliable marksmen.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/wales/toptorschuetzen/verein/3864
[Post edited 22 Mar 18:12]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Wales top scorers on 22:30 - Mar 22 with 760 viewsSullutaCreturned

The part I don't get is "only 26" because that is hardly young. Some players are internationals for 6/7/8 years by then. 26 isn't young in sporting terms.

Bale was 17 years 83 days old when he got his frst goal. Harry Wilson was 16 years 207 days on his debut.
Wales top scorers on 22:35 - Mar 22 with 758 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales top scorers on 22:30 - Mar 22 by SullutaCreturned

The part I don't get is "only 26" because that is hardly young. Some players are internationals for 6/7/8 years by then. 26 isn't young in sporting terms.

Bale was 17 years 83 days old when he got his frst goal. Harry Wilson was 16 years 207 days on his debut.

The only 26 refers to the fact he is roughly only half way through i his Wales career (fitness allowing) and on course to catch up with Welsh winger legends Giggs and Leighton James who are on 12 and 10. Some say James is back on an upward trajectory.

He knew exactly what to do with the finish.
[Post edited 22 Mar 22:37]

Wales top scorers on 22:45 - Mar 22 with 745 viewsSullutaCreturned

Wales top scorers on 22:35 - Mar 22 by ReslovenSwan1

The only 26 refers to the fact he is roughly only half way through i his Wales career (fitness allowing) and on course to catch up with Welsh winger legends Giggs and Leighton James who are on 12 and 10. Some say James is back on an upward trajectory.

He knew exactly what to do with the finish.
[Post edited 22 Mar 22:37]

he is n course yes but he is nowhere near the quality that Giggs and James were. I'd suggest his career with Wales is shorter than theirs because he relies mostly on his pace which will most likley be the first thing to suffer.

With there being so many more internationals these days lesser players are gettig more goals.

Leighton James got 54 caps and Giggs 64, Dan James is pretty much nailed on to get more goals than both of them because he could be playing for another 7-8 years and with the extra games it'd be a surprise if he didn't double his tally.
Wales top scorers on 23:16 - Mar 22 with 732 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales top scorers on 22:45 - Mar 22 by SullutaCreturned

he is n course yes but he is nowhere near the quality that Giggs and James were. I'd suggest his career with Wales is shorter than theirs because he relies mostly on his pace which will most likley be the first thing to suffer.

With there being so many more internationals these days lesser players are gettig more goals.

Leighton James got 54 caps and Giggs 64, Dan James is pretty much nailed on to get more goals than both of them because he could be playing for another 7-8 years and with the extra games it'd be a surprise if he didn't double his tally.

As a Welsh international Giggs seriously under achieved as a footballing legend. James will be more influential and could score more than him assist more than him and has already gone to more football finals.

James is underrated wherever he goes. With better midfielders and manger he would score more.

Wales top scorers on 23:31 - Mar 22 with 726 viewsmajorraglan

Wales top scorers on 23:16 - Mar 22 by ReslovenSwan1

As a Welsh international Giggs seriously under achieved as a footballing legend. James will be more influential and could score more than him assist more than him and has already gone to more football finals.

James is underrated wherever he goes. With better midfielders and manger he would score more.

Agree that Dan James is underrated, always gives 100% and his pace causes the opposition problems. Took his goal very well last night, I think there’s scope for him to get a little bit more out of his finishing.
Wales top scorers on 04:24 - Mar 23 with 688 viewsjack247

Giggs would have had a lot more caps and goals if he’d taken Wales more seriously.
Wales top scorers on 06:53 - Mar 23 with 671 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I am sure Giggs could have easily have reached 100 caps but he was either injured or not available for Friendlies but of course was always fit for Manchester United .
Gary Speed International career was 4 years shorter than Giggs but Speed managed 20 more caps than Giggs . They both started their international careers in the same era.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Wales top scorers on 14:16 - Mar 23 with 600 viewsSullutaCreturned

Wales top scorers on 06:53 - Mar 23 by felixstowe_jack

I am sure Giggs could have easily have reached 100 caps but he was either injured or not available for Friendlies but of course was always fit for Manchester United .
Gary Speed International career was 4 years shorter than Giggs but Speed managed 20 more caps than Giggs . They both started their international careers in the same era.

Felix, Jack247, I agree with you, Giggs could easily have had more caps. Thing is though, Wales didn't qualify whereas now they have more competitive games.

The nations league, the expansion of tournaments, these players are getting to tourneys now that better Welsh teams couldn't.
Login to get fewer ads

Wales top scorers on 15:46 - Mar 23 with 585 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales top scorers on 14:16 - Mar 23 by SullutaCreturned

Felix, Jack247, I agree with you, Giggs could easily have had more caps. Thing is though, Wales didn't qualify whereas now they have more competitive games.

The nations league, the expansion of tournaments, these players are getting to tourneys now that better Welsh teams couldn't.

Qualification was much harder for Giggs than it was a for Bale. Giggs could have made himself the poster boy like Bale but did and become a leader pushing the rest to perform better by the force of his will. He instead deferred to the wishes of his club manager. Bale surpassed Giggs. Both are extraordinary talents but Bale had more in his kit bag.

Wales top scorers on 21:20 - Mar 23 with 536 viewsSullutaCreturned

Wales top scorers on 15:46 - Mar 23 by ReslovenSwan1

Qualification was much harder for Giggs than it was a for Bale. Giggs could have made himself the poster boy like Bale but did and become a leader pushing the rest to perform better by the force of his will. He instead deferred to the wishes of his club manager. Bale surpassed Giggs. Both are extraordinary talents but Bale had more in his kit bag.

I don't know, Giggs was ahuge talent who helped his club to many trophies, the real difference was that Bale prioritised Wales whereas Giggs put his club first when Wales played friendlies.

it is still true that Wales play more games, since Giggs retired.
Wales top scorers on 21:56 - Mar 23 with 518 viewsBillyChong

Jason Koumas scored 10 in 34 for Wales in a weaker team. James has work to do.
Wales top scorers on 10:17 - Mar 24 with 467 viewsRichardO

Wales top scorers on 15:46 - Mar 23 by ReslovenSwan1

Did Giggs have to manage his injury I sure he had a number of muscular pulls like the ones suffered by many a winger, ones that forced him to play in a different way for his club as opposed to an out on out winger, time and injuries take their toll did he have to work hard to prolong his career?

I think the problem with many of us think we our heart rather than the head.
I can think of another area of the body that if left to do the thinking can also cause so many problems if caught.
Wales top scorers on 10:29 - Mar 24 with 448 viewsWhiterockin

Wales top scorers on 10:17 - Mar 24 by RichardO

Did Giggs have to manage his injury I sure he had a number of muscular pulls like the ones suffered by many a winger, ones that forced him to play in a different way for his club as opposed to an out on out winger, time and injuries take their toll did he have to work hard to prolong his career?

I think the problem with many of us think we our heart rather than the head.
I can think of another area of the body that if left to do the thinking can also cause so many problems if caught.

It may be worth you reading this. Anyone about at the time knows the frustration he caused, let alone the bad example he set. So much for team moral and bonding. Bale even turned up with the group when unable to play.

https://tribuna.com/en/news/manutd-2020-05-29-did-ryan-giggs-really-skip-wales-f

EDIT
Link will not open so I have cut and paste.

Did Ryan Giggs really skip Wales friendlies?
6 years ago
community admin
In short, that's not a myth, but he had 'little choice'

The Manchester United legend took his first permanent post in management. Some fans have argued that Giggs' lack of appearances in friendly games as a player means he is not committed, and never has been committed, to his country. BBC Wales has examined the stats and the history of Giggs' Wales career.

During his international playing career Giggs won 64 caps between his debut against Germany in 1991 European Championship qualifier and his final appearance in 2007. In that time, Giggs missed 30 out of 40 possible friendlies, failing to make a single appearance in a friendly match from 1991 to 2000 - a total of 16 matches.

ADVERTISMENT
Former United team-mate Clayton Blackmore said Giggs' club manger Sir Alex Ferguson was responsible for the Welshman missing friendly games. Blackmore said Giggs "didn't have much choice" when it came to playing in friendly matches.

Of the 30 friendlies Giggs missed, 10 would not have interfered with his club career. However, 20 were played days before a Manchester United fixture. Of those 20 games, Giggs featured in 85% of games for United, starting in 15 and making a further two appearances off the bench.

Source: BBC
Man United
Man United
[Post edited 24 Mar 10:36]
Wales top scorers on 16:02 - Mar 24 with 366 viewsRichardO

Wales top scorers on 10:29 - Mar 24 by Whiterockin

It may be worth you reading this. Anyone about at the time knows the frustration he caused, let alone the bad example he set. So much for team moral and bonding. Bale even turned up with the group when unable to play.

https://tribuna.com/en/news/manutd-2020-05-29-did-ryan-giggs-really-skip-wales-f

EDIT
Link will not open so I have cut and paste.

Did Ryan Giggs really skip Wales friendlies?
6 years ago
community admin
In short, that's not a myth, but he had 'little choice'

The Manchester United legend took his first permanent post in management. Some fans have argued that Giggs' lack of appearances in friendly games as a player means he is not committed, and never has been committed, to his country. BBC Wales has examined the stats and the history of Giggs' Wales career.

During his international playing career Giggs won 64 caps between his debut against Germany in 1991 European Championship qualifier and his final appearance in 2007. In that time, Giggs missed 30 out of 40 possible friendlies, failing to make a single appearance in a friendly match from 1991 to 2000 - a total of 16 matches.

ADVERTISMENT
Former United team-mate Clayton Blackmore said Giggs' club manger Sir Alex Ferguson was responsible for the Welshman missing friendly games. Blackmore said Giggs "didn't have much choice" when it came to playing in friendly matches.

Of the 30 friendlies Giggs missed, 10 would not have interfered with his club career. However, 20 were played days before a Manchester United fixture. Of those 20 games, Giggs featured in 85% of games for United, starting in 15 and making a further two appearances off the bench.

Source: BBC
Man United
Man United
[Post edited 24 Mar 10:36]

Was very aware of the frustration caused by no shows and I would have been one of those to doubt worthiness to take the reign as Wales manager given issues he has encountered. But I'm sure Giggs would have fallen under the counsel of Alex Fergeruson, the Man U staff and maybe an old wise head of a player or two, he won't be the first play to get up his team mates nose at any level even if they are for different reason, I am in no way defending him but maybe accepting of the fact that he had issues he needed to take into account on the field never mind the ones off the field.
Wales top scorers on 17:37 - Mar 24 with 342 viewsGwyn737

Wales top scorers on 16:02 - Mar 24 by RichardO

Was very aware of the frustration caused by no shows and I would have been one of those to doubt worthiness to take the reign as Wales manager given issues he has encountered. But I'm sure Giggs would have fallen under the counsel of Alex Fergeruson, the Man U staff and maybe an old wise head of a player or two, he won't be the first play to get up his team mates nose at any level even if they are for different reason, I am in no way defending him but maybe accepting of the fact that he had issues he needed to take into account on the field never mind the ones off the field.

Whatever the reasons for his absences, they mean that a player who is up there’s when talking the greatest, most legendary premier league players is not in the same conversation when it comes to his country.
Wales top scorers on 18:03 - Mar 24 with 323 viewsWhiterockin

Wales top scorers on 17:37 - Mar 24 by Gwyn737

Whatever the reasons for his absences, they mean that a player who is up there’s when talking the greatest, most legendary premier league players is not in the same conversation when it comes to his country.

Exactly
Wales top scorers on 18:07 - Mar 24 with 305 viewsonehunglow

Wales top scorers on 18:03 - Mar 24 by Whiterockin

Exactly

Giggs was born in Cardiff .
He grew up in Salford
He doesn’t compare with Bale who was,as an international,on another level.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Wales top scorers on 18:18 - Mar 24 with 292 viewsWhiterockin

Wales top scorers on 18:07 - Mar 24 by onehunglow

Giggs was born in Cardiff .
He grew up in Salford
He doesn’t compare with Bale who was,as an international,on another level.

Bale turned up support the squad even if he was unable to play. The example that sets to the rest of the squad is immeasurable.
Wales top scorers on 22:42 - Mar 24 with 249 viewsRichardO

Wales top scorers on 17:37 - Mar 24 by Gwyn737

Can't disagree with your statement in any way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024