Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Site Issues 23:27 - Aug 7 with 37376 viewsPhil_S

Replacing the questions issue with this one. Have been away for a few days so could do with a summary of what issues people are still having with the site and I'll get back on what I can get changed.

Please try not to repeat issues already reported in the thread.
Site Issues on 01:07 - Aug 9 with 4911 viewsSwansNZ

Site Issues on 00:27 - Aug 9 by Ice_Tea

And I didn't get re-directed to my post, and I can't edit it.

It just gets worse.

There is an edit function - in your post, you should have a pencil icon.

But I agree, from a user point of view, this forum is very much a few steps back from the old Planet Swans. Yes, the site as a whole gives us a lot more, but the forum has certainly suffered as a result - hope they can fix the broken things and add the things that a forum really should have.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2013 9:05]

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Site Issues on 07:46 - Aug 9 with 4875 viewsDr_Winston

There's not enough moderators.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Site Issues on 11:41 - Aug 9 with 4838 viewsDafyddHuw

Surely the most important part of this site is the forum. We can get news about the club from many other sources.

So shouldn't we therefore have at least all the functions that were available on the old forum?
Site Issues on 12:40 - Aug 9 with 4819 viewsIce_Tea

Site Issues on 11:41 - Aug 9 by DafyddHuw

Surely the most important part of this site is the forum. We can get news about the club from many other sources.

So shouldn't we therefore have at least all the functions that were available on the old forum?

Its all about cash per click. More clicks means more money and to hell with the punters. If you are re-directed automatically to your post you don't have to click anything. With the site the way it is, you get sent back to the home page, you then CLICK on "forum" and then you CLICK again to chose the part of forum you posted too, say "the football only board"., you then CLICK the "subject" thread. If you've been counting, that's three Clicks For Cash. Now call me a cynic, but the Planet Swans site it seems is generating more cash, and we are getting a far worse forum. Well I suppose the PL greed culture was bound to corrupt eventually.

Look, I've found the edit button.

I also missed out a CLICK if you need to go to any page other than the first one.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2013 12:43]
Site Issues on 13:04 - Aug 9 with 4810 viewsraynor94

Site Issues on 18:37 - Aug 8 by ItchySphincter

Let us know how you get on with yours.

Ah come on Wembs, i expected a better riposte than that

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Site Issues on 13:53 - Aug 9 with 4793 viewsPhil_S

Site Issues on 12:40 - Aug 9 by Ice_Tea

Its all about cash per click. More clicks means more money and to hell with the punters. If you are re-directed automatically to your post you don't have to click anything. With the site the way it is, you get sent back to the home page, you then CLICK on "forum" and then you CLICK again to chose the part of forum you posted too, say "the football only board"., you then CLICK the "subject" thread. If you've been counting, that's three Clicks For Cash. Now call me a cynic, but the Planet Swans site it seems is generating more cash, and we are getting a far worse forum. Well I suppose the PL greed culture was bound to corrupt eventually.

Look, I've found the edit button.

I also missed out a CLICK if you need to go to any page other than the first one.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2013 12:43]

Good theory but blown apart by the fact that network support tells you in the topic that it shouldnt be like that and its on the fix list.

And given the fact that there are

a. More posts on a page here
b. More threads on a page

And factoring in the fact that it doesnt say 'thank you for posting' or return you to where you have posted the amount of clicks is about the same as there was on the old site. When the points are fixed (as detailed in support) there will be less.

Now for the last part of the theory to diss away. It is not about clicks of pages. Adverts generally pay in two ways - pay per click of advert (i.e. on the banner) or a pay per viewing (which will happen whether you click or it re-directs automatically) so clicking a link to a different page on the site makes no difference. But hey, you sounded almost convincing
Site Issues on 15:13 - Aug 9 with 4781 viewsmikl0s

First - thanks to 'support' for adding to the topic :)

Regarding the layout I suggest taking a peek at how vBulletin implemented it - the following two re-sized screenshots show a traditional post mode and then a threaded 'hybrid' mode. This way you can please both crowds.

If Bony and Michu start to gel.....oh my

Site Issues on 19:32 - Aug 9 with 4743 viewsexiledclaseboy

Site Issues on 11:41 - Aug 9 by DafyddHuw

Can't argue with that. This site has many jazzy features but they've come at the expense of a decent forum. For me (and I assume, many, many others) the articles and now blogs et al are entirely secondary. The forum has always been the main reason why most people come here and for some the only reason.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Site Issues on 22:21 - Aug 9 with 4726 viewsIce_Tea

Site Issues on 13:53 - Aug 9 by Phil_S

Good theory but blown apart by the fact that network support tells you in the topic that it shouldnt be like that and its on the fix list.

And given the fact that there are

a. More posts on a page here
b. More threads on a page

And factoring in the fact that it doesnt say 'thank you for posting' or return you to where you have posted the amount of clicks is about the same as there was on the old site. When the points are fixed (as detailed in support) there will be less.

Now for the last part of the theory to diss away. It is not about clicks of pages. Adverts generally pay in two ways - pay per click of advert (i.e. on the banner) or a pay per viewing (which will happen whether you click or it re-directs automatically) so clicking a link to a different page on the site makes no difference. But hey, you sounded almost convincing

Thanks Phil for clarifying things, and there's me thinking the change was done was done for commercial reasons. What an old cynic I am. So, just to make sure I got this right, there has been no increase in the revenue generated, as a result of the forum changing to the fans network? Why did you move the site to here then, because when compared to what we had, this message board software is poor. (I'd like an italic "did" to emphasise it, but I can't find one)

OK, I'll stick with it, and hope that its going to be fixed soon, but I'm not holding my breath.
Site Issues on 07:59 - Aug 10 with 4702 viewsPhil_S

Site Issues on 22:21 - Aug 9 by Ice_Tea

Thanks Phil for clarifying things, and there's me thinking the change was done was done for commercial reasons. What an old cynic I am. So, just to make sure I got this right, there has been no increase in the revenue generated, as a result of the forum changing to the fans network? Why did you move the site to here then, because when compared to what we had, this message board software is poor. (I'd like an italic "did" to emphasise it, but I can't find one)

OK, I'll stick with it, and hope that its going to be fixed soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Your point has been clarified - the move was done to benefit from the extra features that the site now has available which are showing through more now matches have started (Prediction League is better, pictures, match centres, player ratings, ability to submit reports, blogs etc)

The other reason for moving the site was cost, fans network pay the hosting costs on this site, I used to fund the old one. At one point the adverts used to cover the cost of hosting the site, in the last 12 months they didn't (and double the frustration when you factor in the inability of ad firms to understand that all ads should be family friendly) The site used to generate 3m page views a month forum only all of which were bandwidth hungry, that wasn't cheap hosting costs.

Many of the frustrations listed in the early posts in this topic are ready to be changed at some point (as the support post will detail) but, contrary to belief I still don't get paid £1 per post.
Site Issues on 09:35 - Aug 10 with 4683 viewsApeShit

Site Issues on 19:32 - Aug 9 by exiledclaseboy

Can't argue with that. This site has many jazzy features but they've come at the expense of a decent forum. For me (and I assume, many, many others) the articles and now blogs et al are entirely secondary. The forum has always been the main reason why most people come here and for some the only reason.

The problem is the articles and blogs are poorly written anyway.
Site Issues on 10:39 - Aug 10 with 4670 viewsPhil_S

Site Issues on 09:35 - Aug 10 by ApeShit

The problem is the articles and blogs are poorly written anyway.

Indeed they are so so please feel free to submit your own

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/members/!/blogs/
Site Issues on 10:44 - Aug 10 with 4670 viewsmaes

Site Issues on 07:59 - Aug 10 by Phil_S

Your point has been clarified - the move was done to benefit from the extra features that the site now has available which are showing through more now matches have started (Prediction League is better, pictures, match centres, player ratings, ability to submit reports, blogs etc)

The other reason for moving the site was cost, fans network pay the hosting costs on this site, I used to fund the old one. At one point the adverts used to cover the cost of hosting the site, in the last 12 months they didn't (and double the frustration when you factor in the inability of ad firms to understand that all ads should be family friendly) The site used to generate 3m page views a month forum only all of which were bandwidth hungry, that wasn't cheap hosting costs.

Many of the frustrations listed in the early posts in this topic are ready to be changed at some point (as the support post will detail) but, contrary to belief I still don't get paid £1 per post.

That's fair enough then if the advertising was not covering the hosting costs it's unfair on Phil to be losing money. I suppose we'll just have to hope this forum works out its little problems.
Site Issues on 10:52 - Aug 10 with 4668 viewsDarran

Site Issues on 22:21 - Aug 9 by Ice_Tea

What the f*ck is your problem?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Site Issues on 11:00 - Aug 10 with 4666 viewsAndy1300

Site Issues on 22:01 - Aug 8 by arfurjob

Why on earth would anyone "need" to see someones post count?

Joining dates are another stick to beat people with.

Even though the date you find a forum and join has nothing in common to how long you have been following the Swans, it's often used against posters.

Number 1 team in Wales

Site Issues on 11:34 - Aug 10 with 4598 viewsPhil_S

Site Issues on 10:44 - Aug 10 by maes

That's fair enough then if the advertising was not covering the hosting costs it's unfair on Phil to be losing money. I suppose we'll just have to hope this forum works out its little problems.

I think the post from support says they're not being ignored which is always a good thing
Site Issues on 22:16 - Aug 10 with 4541 viewsCatullus

I don't seem to have a PM function. Davillin says there is one, but I can't find it. maybe it's just me being stupid.....always a possibility!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Site Issues on 22:17 - Aug 10 with 4539 viewsDarran

Site Issues on 22:16 - Aug 10 by Catullus

I don't seem to have a PM function. Davillin says there is one, but I can't find it. maybe it's just me being stupid.....always a possibility!!

Cick on someones avatar and you'll see it.

Site Issues on 23:08 - Aug 10 with 4526 viewsCatullus

Ok, that works on my phone but on my laptop either nothing happens or I get navigated to other pages.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Site Issues on 23:28 - Aug 10 with 4517 viewsSwanseajill

If anyone has a clue why I can no longer log on here via my computer, yet on an ipad there's no problem?
Anyone........
Site Issues on 09:06 - Aug 11 with 4457 viewsUxbridge

Site Issues on 23:28 - Aug 10 by Swanseajill

If anyone has a clue why I can no longer log on here via my computer, yet on an ipad there's no problem?
Anyone........

Try downloading CCCleaner and delete all cookies, cache etc. Sometimes get the same problem elsewhere.

I seem to be getting an annoying habit of having to reenter my login details twice a day or so at random intervals. All very odd.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Site Issues on 09:34 - Aug 11 with 4446 viewsbluenile

Agree with the person who said they wanted to post a photo from their computer as before...............I don't want to be forced to join an online photo site who insist on having my D.O.B. and my postcode in order to simply put a photo in with my text! All I wanted to do this morning was post a photo off Google Earth of the Stadium at Ploiesti from the street view that I had downloaded to my computer...............How difficult should that be?? Crazy!

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Site Issues on 09:36 - Aug 11 with 4444 viewsjacksinceever

is adblock safe - message telling me it allows access to personal info?
Site Issues on 09:40 - Aug 11 with 4442 viewsDarran

Site Issues on 09:34 - Aug 11 by bluenile

Agree with the person who said they wanted to post a photo from their computer as before...............I don't want to be forced to join an online photo site who insist on having my D.O.B. and my postcode in order to simply put a photo in with my text! All I wanted to do this morning was post a photo off Google Earth of the Stadium at Ploiesti from the street view that I had downloaded to my computer...............How difficult should that be?? Crazy!

Fair point Rog but it only takes a matter of seconds to use this,even a chimp could do it,Oldjack can't though.

http://postimage.org/

Site Issues on 10:14 - Aug 11 with 4431 viewsSpratty

Site Issues on 19:32 - Aug 9 by exiledclaseboy

Totally agree. Needs to be a formal co-ordinated list of issues with details of the status against each (e.g date fixed, awaiting fix, have to live with etc.). Many submitted detailed comments, some seemingly ignored, asked to repost - needs to be organised.

Still see there is a significant issue with general presentation of site. Its ok to say people will get used to it and for e.g. ability to highlight bold colour text detracts from the message. If only
knew this they might have turned a profit.

There are simple design guidelines which make iternet sites intuitive, easy to use and view. It is only necessary to look at other successful sites or even our old forum to see the basics of this.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2013 10:20]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024