Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Freehold 19:35 - Feb 16 with 3095 viewsperchrockjack

We re selling the family home

They want 10 k for the freehold

Is this a Swansea scam ff scam

Less time on freehold dearer it is

Me ol fella bought house in 1962 and didn't buy the freehold

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Freehold on 20:10 - Feb 16 with 2663 viewsLord_Bony

Depends how long is left on it.
Do you mean buying the leasehold?

Technically it still belongs to the landlord if you don't buy it.....I may be wrong...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Freehold on 20:13 - Feb 16 with 2654 viewsperchrockjack

No freehold

Just wonder who the landlords are

All of Ridgeway was the same.

Some bought, my parents didn't

Found out only when discussing the future with my father while mum was drifting away

Freehold on 20:16 - Feb 16 with 2639 viewsLord_Bony

10k seems reasonable or you could go down the tribunal route and they may decide a cheaper price for you to buy it.

Either way there's a lot of formalities and fees involved if it's to be done right. It has to be done if you want to sell.

Good luck.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Freehold on 20:44 - Feb 16 with 2567 viewswaynekerr55

Freehold on 20:13 - Feb 16 by perchrockjack

No freehold

Just wonder who the landlords are

All of Ridgeway was the same.

Some bought, my parents didn't

Found out only when discussing the future with my father while mum was drifting away

Perchie PM me the details - I know this issue inside out as we had to acquire our freehold before we were able to extend our lease on the flat

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Freehold on 20:49 - Feb 16 with 2546 viewsaberavon_wizard

My son had a house nr Pontypridd buillt in mid 60s and was leasehold. He could not sell it because prospective buyers could not get a mortage. In the end we bought the freehold for £12K approx. House worth £140K.

We are in the process in buying the freehold for another son in Baglan bulit in 1972 and it will cost us £6K approx. House worth £160K.

Hope this is of help. The house will be difficult to sell if it is leasehold.
Freehold on 20:52 - Feb 16 with 2533 viewsDarran

Freehold on 20:49 - Feb 16 by aberavon_wizard

My son had a house nr Pontypridd buillt in mid 60s and was leasehold. He could not sell it because prospective buyers could not get a mortage. In the end we bought the freehold for £12K approx. House worth £140K.

We are in the process in buying the freehold for another son in Baglan bulit in 1972 and it will cost us £6K approx. House worth £160K.

Hope this is of help. The house will be difficult to sell if it is leasehold.

Where's the house in Baglan Butt?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Freehold on 20:53 - Feb 16 with 2529 viewstrampie

How long is left on the lease, how much is the ground rent, what are the rules around the leasehold, a few things to suss out to weigh things up.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Freehold on 20:57 - Feb 16 with 2512 viewsaberavon_wizard

Freehold on 20:52 - Feb 16 by Darran

Where's the house in Baglan Butt?

Maes ty Canol
Login to get fewer ads

Freehold on 20:59 - Feb 16 with 2500 viewsDarran

Freehold on 20:57 - Feb 16 by aberavon_wizard

Maes ty Canol

Tidy. 👍🏻

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Freehold on 21:33 - Feb 16 with 2453 viewstrampie

Freehold on 20:44 - Feb 16 by waynekerr55

Perchie PM me the details - I know this issue inside out as we had to acquire our freehold before we were able to extend our lease on the flat

''acquire our freehold before we were able to extend our lease on the flat'', are you talking about two different properties ? as if you acquire a freehold there would not be a leasehold would there ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Freehold on 21:41 - Feb 16 with 2435 viewswaynekerr55

Freehold on 21:33 - Feb 16 by trampie

''acquire our freehold before we were able to extend our lease on the flat'', are you talking about two different properties ? as if you acquire a freehold there would not be a leasehold would there ?

Yes - I should have said that this was between our place and the upstairs flat.

Matters were complicated as we had an absent freeholder issue. We had to set a company up to acquire the freehold title which then allowed us to extend the leases on both flats.

Freehold on 21:46 - Feb 16 with 2421 viewstrampie

Freehold on 21:41 - Feb 16 by waynekerr55

Yes - I should have said that this was between our place and the upstairs flat.

Matters were complicated as we had an absent freeholder issue. We had to set a company up to acquire the freehold title which then allowed us to extend the leases on both flats.

Sounds very complicated is this in London ?

Freehold on 21:50 - Feb 16 with 2406 viewswaynekerr55

Freehold on 21:46 - Feb 16 by trampie

Sounds very complicated is this in London ?

Yes, although this applies anywhere where there is more than one property (flats or maisonettes). You have to arrange them as leasehold or you're pretty much limited to cash buyers.

We granted 999 year leases at peppercorn rent, and the freehold company has 2 shares (one for each flat). The only proviso is that the freehold company has to insure the building.

Freehold on 21:58 - Feb 16 with 2388 viewsSwanzay

Yes this a situation unique to Swansea, FFS!
Freehold on 23:16 - Feb 16 with 2287 viewsperchrockjack

Thanks friends

Freehold on 00:59 - Feb 17 with 2224 viewsTreforys_Jack

My ground rent was £15 a year, tidy thinks I, I'll carry on paying that then. 54 years left on the lease, whats the problem. Turn up at the bank to negotiate a new deal on my mortgage, leasehold sir tut tut tut !!!!! Nasty little surprise that was.
In a nutshell, I paid nearly 8k for my lease including all the legal fees. House is worth approximately 150k, lease was 15 quid per annum and had over 50 years to run. The issue is next year or the year after the lease would probably cost 9k and so on as the term reduces. 50 years time the lease would probably cost more than the house was worth.Not my problem I know but potentially my grandchildren, also buyers may struggle to get a mortgage against a property with a lease less than 75 yrs if ever I decide to sell.
Freehold on 02:20 - Feb 17 with 2173 viewssquarebear

Our (Swansea) house has 920 years remaining on a 999 year lease. We've been quoted 5K for the freehold (plus a couple of K in legal fees). We've decided not to bother with it. It would have been different of course if the lease was significantly less.

As pointed out above our hands are tied re: buildings insurance, plus we needed the OK from the leaseholder prior to getting building work done.

One worry is a news story I heard recently whereby venture capitalists are buying up leases then altering the terms of the lease. Apparently the leaseholder is under no obligation to notify the home owner of their plans to sell to a third party.
Freehold on 06:23 - Feb 17 with 2148 viewswaynekerr55

Freehold on 02:20 - Feb 17 by squarebear

Our (Swansea) house has 920 years remaining on a 999 year lease. We've been quoted 5K for the freehold (plus a couple of K in legal fees). We've decided not to bother with it. It would have been different of course if the lease was significantly less.

As pointed out above our hands are tied re: buildings insurance, plus we needed the OK from the leaseholder prior to getting building work done.

One worry is a news story I heard recently whereby venture capitalists are buying up leases then altering the terms of the lease. Apparently the leaseholder is under no obligation to notify the home owner of their plans to sell to a third party.

Incorrect.

Right of first refusal must be given to the leaseholder under the landlord and tenant act 1987.

Plus they cannot vary the terms of the lease without agreement or clear breaches by tenant.

Freehold on 06:39 - Feb 17 with 2132 viewsjack247

Freehold on 00:59 - Feb 17 by Treforys_Jack

My ground rent was £15 a year, tidy thinks I, I'll carry on paying that then. 54 years left on the lease, whats the problem. Turn up at the bank to negotiate a new deal on my mortgage, leasehold sir tut tut tut !!!!! Nasty little surprise that was.
In a nutshell, I paid nearly 8k for my lease including all the legal fees. House is worth approximately 150k, lease was 15 quid per annum and had over 50 years to run. The issue is next year or the year after the lease would probably cost 9k and so on as the term reduces. 50 years time the lease would probably cost more than the house was worth.Not my problem I know but potentially my grandchildren, also buyers may struggle to get a mortgage against a property with a lease less than 75 yrs if ever I decide to sell.

Yeah, most lenders want 70-75 years remaining on a lease. The property depreciates as the lease reduces and if you default on their mortgage with a short term left, it becomes their problem.

Leasehold properties are usually slightly cheaper than comparable freehold properties. It makes sense to just bite the bullet and buy the lease as soon as you can. It's only going to get more expensive over time.
Freehold on 07:20 - Feb 17 with 2101 viewssquarebear

Freehold on 06:23 - Feb 17 by waynekerr55

Incorrect.

Right of first refusal must be given to the leaseholder under the landlord and tenant act 1987.

Plus they cannot vary the terms of the lease without agreement or clear breaches by tenant.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/29/new-builds-house-buyers-leasehold-

It relates to new builds but is still a cautionary tale. Note also the charge made for granting the home owner permission to build an extension.

But further to your post (which is somewhat reassuring), if I have discussed the purchase of the freehold might that be considered an offer, leaving me at risk of having it sold to another party?
Freehold on 07:50 - Feb 17 with 2077 viewswaynekerr55

Freehold on 07:20 - Feb 17 by squarebear

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/29/new-builds-house-buyers-leasehold-

It relates to new builds but is still a cautionary tale. Note also the charge made for granting the home owner permission to build an extension.

But further to your post (which is somewhat reassuring), if I have discussed the purchase of the freehold might that be considered an offer, leaving me at risk of having it sold to another party?

Unlikely - they have to formally prove that they've made the offer. The courts take a dim view on rogue practices.

An example from the Upper Chamber shows that whilst a modest breach of covenant has taken place, this alone is not enough for forfeiture of the lease

http://landschamber.decisions.tribunals.gov.uk//Aspx/view.aspx?id=1230

Although on further reading the right of first refusal doesn't apply to houses, but freeholders charges have to be reasonable, even so they can't just rip up the contract and vary the lease unless there is a clause that allows for that

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/service-charges-and-other-issues/

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-50306.html

Freehold on 08:52 - Feb 17 with 2037 viewsperchrockjack

Thanks treforus

House had a 99 year freehold so 40 left so its worth buying it and 10k seems about the market rate

thanks for the contributions and help wayne

Freehold on 09:06 - Feb 17 with 2017 viewswaynekerr55

Freehold on 08:52 - Feb 17 by perchrockjack

Thanks treforus

House had a 99 year freehold so 40 left so its worth buying it and 10k seems about the market rate

thanks for the contributions and help wayne

Some considerations:

Firstly ask them how they reached the 10k valuation? Has this figure been properly calculated?
Secondly, our valuation for tribunal cost £1500 inclusive of VAT. This was from a company who the Lands Tribunal regularly use. I would expect a couple of hundred quid less in Wales, but not much less.
Thirdly, if they do show you a valuation, the Sportelli 5% principle applies due to the length of the lease

Freehold on 09:09 - Feb 17 with 2013 viewsperchrockjack

Thanks

Think we ll take this to pm

Freehold on 09:13 - Feb 17 with 2006 viewsPrivate_Partz

Freehold on 20:16 - Feb 16 by Lord_Bony

10k seems reasonable or you could go down the tribunal route and they may decide a cheaper price for you to buy it.

Either way there's a lot of formalities and fees involved if it's to be done right. It has to be done if you want to sell.

Good luck.

Yep. 10k is about the going rate. It is massive con. People pay £10.50 a year. Much easier than shelling out much bigger bucks. Trouble is the Freehold goes up year on year whilst the ground rent remains static.
The whole of the estate in Dunvant and Killay, the old BG James estate, is an example of this. I learned from experience. I had it to purchase it for 2 properties.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024