Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Merson/Gambling 10:10 - Oct 12 with 821 viewsonehunglow

Programme showed just how ruthlessly filthy this industry is and how it is choking football.
More than half the PL clubs sponsored by Gambling firms who target addicts so that "limit" drivel is surely damned.
Advertisement images can number 700 during a game.

Human cost staggering and we allow it all

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Paul Merson/Gambling on 10:51 - Oct 12 with 797 viewsCatullus

They give you free bets to entice you, they say all the right things but keep enticing you with offers.
They say you can set liits so you don't spend too much but those limits are voluntary and self set, you can change them any time. It's no protection against addiction or desperation.

I use BET365 and I allow myself £10 every three months. I have only put in £10 (might be 20!) this year I think, I had a couple of small wins, I got 30 back I think after a small accy and I got 5.14 back off a free bet on Lverpool/Man City, I cashed in but if I hadn't I'd have won 12.50, c'est la vie!
We also do £15 on the Grand National and that's it. I bet purely for fun but I know people who are worse off financially than me who bet more in a month than I do in a year. Of course 'real' gamblers always claim they've won, they lie to themselves and others.

Merson and the other footballerd who lost...15 million was it? I feel sorry for them. Gambling advertising should be banned. It ruins lives and breaks up families just as capably as alcohol and drugs.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Paul Merson/Gambling on 11:00 - Oct 12 with 786 viewsonehunglow

Paul Merson/Gambling on 10:51 - Oct 12 by Catullus

They give you free bets to entice you, they say all the right things but keep enticing you with offers.
They say you can set liits so you don't spend too much but those limits are voluntary and self set, you can change them any time. It's no protection against addiction or desperation.

I use BET365 and I allow myself £10 every three months. I have only put in £10 (might be 20!) this year I think, I had a couple of small wins, I got 30 back I think after a small accy and I got 5.14 back off a free bet on Lverpool/Man City, I cashed in but if I hadn't I'd have won 12.50, c'est la vie!
We also do £15 on the Grand National and that's it. I bet purely for fun but I know people who are worse off financially than me who bet more in a month than I do in a year. Of course 'real' gamblers always claim they've won, they lie to themselves and others.

Merson and the other footballerd who lost...15 million was it? I feel sorry for them. Gambling advertising should be banned. It ruins lives and breaks up families just as capably as alcohol and drugs.

Hi Mate.
We banned tobacco advertising for a reason. Gambling is even more dangerou.

We have kids 11-16 hooked on gambling with facilities to ensure they lose and keep the scum like the Coates living in the lap of luxury whilst many lose the lot including their lives.

And Ray Winston's filthy mouth whispers in their ear prior to every game to make it look cool.

We are ALL hypocrites really for following /watching any club sponsored by Gambling companies.

Players might take the knee in memory of those who jump from high building/motorway bridges and into canals as they have lost their homes after a bad day.

Paul Merson/Gambling on 11:09 - Oct 14 with 645 viewsbritferry

I watched it on catch-up

the most shocking bit was the woman whose husband committed suicide after gambling his life away, the betting firm emailed her weeks after he died saying he wouldn't be getting his bonuses this month as he hadn't paid in enough

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Paul Merson/Gambling on 12:29 - Oct 14 with 630 viewsCountyJim

Paul Merson/Gambling on 11:00 - Oct 12 by onehunglow

Hi Mate.
We banned tobacco advertising for a reason. Gambling is even more dangerou.

We have kids 11-16 hooked on gambling with facilities to ensure they lose and keep the scum like the Coates living in the lap of luxury whilst many lose the lot including their lives.

And Ray Winston's filthy mouth whispers in their ear prior to every game to make it look cool.

We are ALL hypocrites really for following /watching any club sponsored by Gambling companies.

Players might take the knee in memory of those who jump from high building/motorway bridges and into canals as they have lost their homes after a bad day.

Should we ban ads for DIY projects do you know how many people are killed or seriously injured due to DIY every year

No people have to take responsibility for their own actions
Paul Merson/Gambling on 12:41 - Oct 14 with 617 views1983

Paul Merson/Gambling on 12:29 - Oct 14 by CountyJim

Should we ban ads for DIY projects do you know how many people are killed or seriously injured due to DIY every year

100% Jim

My oldman had a loving wife, kids and grandkids and in 1996 the Dr told him if you don't stop drinking now in 12 months time you will be dead it's your very last chance.

12 months later he died leaving my old Mam who is still alive and is now living the rest of her life on her own because he made the decision he is better off dead than with his loving family.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 12:42]

Paul Merson/Gambling on 12:56 - Oct 14 with 607 viewsCatullus

Paul Merson/Gambling on 12:41 - Oct 14 by 1983

100% Jim

My oldman had a loving wife, kids and grandkids and in 1996 the Dr told him if you don't stop drinking now in 12 months time you will be dead it's your very last chance.

12 months later he died leaving my old Mam who is still alive and is now living the rest of her life on her own because he made the decision he is better off dead than with his loving family.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 12:42]

My uncle was told the same, carry on drinking and you'll be dead soon. He carried on and was dead not long after, a matter of weeks.

When it comes down to it, yes, it's personal choice. Too mnay people want to blame others for their own mistakes. Any addict needs to recognise they need help and then ask for help before they can be helped.
I suggested to a friend of mine that he cut back on beer and gambling, he told me I sounded like his wife which I took as firned speak for SHUT UP!

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:07 - Oct 14 with 593 views73__73

How you can compare DIY to gambling is beyond me.
Your last sentence I agree with

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:27 - Oct 14 with 584 views1983

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:07 - Oct 14 by 73__73

How you can compare DIY to gambling is beyond me.
Your last sentence I agree with

He wasn't he was comparing DIY to gambling he was highlighting a systematic process of evaluating the potential risks that may be involved in a projected activity.

Gambling could cause addiction which could in time cause taking ones life.
DIY could cause unfamiliar practices which could cause injuries which could cause death.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 13:28]

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:32 - Oct 14 with 575 views73__73

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:27 - Oct 14 by 1983

He wasn't he was comparing DIY to gambling he was highlighting a systematic process of evaluating the potential risks that may be involved in a projected activity.

DIY could cause unfamiliar practices which could cause injuries which could cause death.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 13:28]

Still a ridiculous comparison. DIY is constructive . Gambling is not

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:43 - Oct 14 with 572 views1983

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:32 - Oct 14 by 73__73

Still a ridiculous comparison. DIY is constructive . Gambling is not

Like I said he wasn't he was comparing DIY to gambling he was highlighting a systematic process of evaluating the potential risks that may be involved in a projected activity.

I'm sorry you can't see that

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:47 - Oct 14 with 569 viewsonehunglow

You bring that in to make you feel better about gambling.
It does not solve the problem,which is getting young kids hooked on gambling.
Those kids are not hooked on DIY . And anyway,DIY is justified and often important maintainance. Gambling is utterly irrelevant or should be.

When this subject arises,a a society we kop out. Same was said about drink driving breathylyser.Why should all drinkers suffer etc.

No co-incidence governments like to tax fags beer and gambling a people will do anything to avoid not feeling guilty about it.

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:51 - Oct 14 with 571 viewsnantywatcher

I take it you have not watched the documentary - if you watch it you will be ashamed of your comments. It's a disease with 55,000 kids under 16 already addicted. The industry takes advantage of this mental compulsion to seek out the high a winning bet can produce, regardless of anything other than their filthy profits. The ultimate "responsibility" people show is committing suicide - is that responsible enough?
Paul Merson/Gambling on 14:01 - Oct 14 with 559 viewsonehunglow

Paul Merson/Gambling on 13:51 - Oct 14 by nantywatcher

I take it you have not watched the documentary - if you watch it you will be ashamed of your comments. It's a disease with 55,000 kids under 16 already addicted. The industry takes advantage of this mental compulsion to seek out the high a winning bet can produce, regardless of anything other than their filthy profits. The ultimate "responsibility" people show is committing suicide - is that responsible enough?

Great reply.
Im disappointed with Jim,who s a good guy .

That said,we are raising a generation obsessed with making easy money and gambling appeals to that psyche. It aint good enough to blame individuals.Merson was proven to have an addictive personality and has lost the lot. He's a shambling wreck of a man. Meanwhile ,the Coates ,Paddy and Ladbokes and Hill make millions out of misery.

We slaughter horses for cretins to lose their money dressed in designer gear or Primarks best.

It is a national disgrace we allow this ;it ha made most sports rotten and yet ,we love it so much we simply deny the dangers of it.

If you can only gamble a bit then dont at all.

If you get off on gambling,find a life

Paul Merson/Gambling on 14:03 - Oct 14 with 564 viewsCountyJim

Not watched it no but because there's ads on TV how does that make you an addict

I'm all for looking after people but you can't keep everyone in cotton wool all the time people have to look after themselves and realise they have a responsibility as well

As I said what next ban ads for DIY projects/ products

White bread apparently is bad for you should we ban ads for bread

No people have a choice in life

As for the kids that's up to the parents to educate them on things they see on TV etc not blame others
Paul Merson/Gambling on 14:07 - Oct 14 with 553 viewsonehunglow

Personally,I would have simply wiped out the horse racing industry and shut racecourses and built affordable housing on them.
Never would happen of course a the Monarch herself is a big fan. Ironic really or maybe not.

No lives have ever been enhanced by gambling but millions ruined.

And we carry on slagging each other off when our views are challenged.

Paul Merson/Gambling on 14:11 - Oct 14 with 557 viewsCountyJim

When I was about 15/16 I played the fruit machines for a few days spent my dinner money and lost I said to myself wow what are you doing I'm starving during the day because I've been an idot throwing my money away .

I stopped straight away it's called taking responsibility for your actions even at 15 people know what a responsible person should do
Paul Merson/Gambling on 14:40 - Oct 14 with 540 viewsTreforys_Jack

Paul Merson/Gambling on 14:11 - Oct 14 by CountyJim

When I was about 15/16 I played the fruit machines for a few days spent my dinner money and lost I said to myself wow what are you doing I'm starving during the day because I've been an idot throwing my money away .

I stopped straight away it's called taking responsibility for your actions even at 15 people know what a responsible person should do

Similar to me, I put a weeks wages in a fruit machine one Friday afternoon when I was about 17. The jackpot was about £7 , which paid out in tokens (remember them) shocked the life out of me when I realised what I'd done, put me right for the rest of my life.
Paul Merson/Gambling on 17:22 - Oct 14 with 497 views1983

Paul Merson/Gambling on 14:40 - Oct 14 by Treforys_Jack

Similar to me, I put a weeks wages in a fruit machine one Friday afternoon when I was about 17. The jackpot was about £7 , which paid out in tokens (remember them) shocked the life out of me when I realised what I'd done, put me right for the rest of my life.

Ditto that fruit machine circa 1987 blew a whole night outs money while waiting for the boys one night then had to walk home while they went out.

A similar thing taking speed regularly in the early 1990's started to convince myself I won't have a good night unless I took it then one day had a massive come down and felt not a million miles from suicide ....never again.

Now I'd rather take the dog for a walk and pick blackberries...Funny old life
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 17:22]

Paul Merson/Gambling on 17:26 - Oct 14 with 488 viewsnantywatcher

Paul Merson/Gambling on 14:03 - Oct 14 by CountyJim

Not watched it no but because there's ads on TV how does that make you an addict

I'm all for looking after people but you can't keep everyone in cotton wool all the time people have to look after themselves and realise they have a responsibility as well

As I said what next ban ads for DIY projects/ products

White bread apparently is bad for you should we ban ads for bread

No people have a choice in life

As for the kids that's up to the parents to educate them on things they see on TV etc not blame others

It's a disease - the ads fuel the addiction. 700 ads visible in every televised game. You should shelve your bigotry and watch the documentary. At least, for the moment, we don't have a betting company as our main sponsors.
Paul Merson/Gambling on 17:42 - Oct 14 with 478 viewsonehunglow

Paul Merson/Gambling on 17:26 - Oct 14 by nantywatcher

It's a disease - the ads fuel the addiction. 700 ads visible in every televised game. You should shelve your bigotry and watch the documentary. At least, for the moment, we don't have a betting company as our main sponsors.

And Allah be praised for that.

32 red stained our shirt

One suicide per day over gambling

Many more marriages and lives wrecked and we just tolerate it. Well ,not me.

Quit gambling and kill the betting industry and all the leeches attached to it

Paul Merson/Gambling on 18:33 - Oct 14 with 463 viewsKeithHaynes

Paul Merson/Gambling on 11:09 - Oct 14 by britferry

I watched it on catch-up

the most shocking bit was the woman whose husband committed suicide after gambling his life away, the betting firm emailed her weeks after he died saying he wouldn't be getting his bonuses this month as he hadn't paid in enough

I agree it’s not a good advertisement. But how would they know he was dead ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Paul Merson/Gambling on 19:08 - Oct 14 with 449 viewsCatullus

I totally agree about advertising, ban it, especially during the games. Close it down on social media too but there are a lot of people who enjoy a gamble without being addicted, without it causing them any problems.

I had a free £% bet from BET365 again, for the Premier league. I put it on Liverpool to beat Watford 4-0 with Van Dijk to score, then I put a 50p bet on us to beat Cardiff !-0, Piroe to score and there to be a red card and less than 11 corners and the same bet but with Obafemi to score so I spent one whole pound. It's not going to ruin my life, I won't look at adverts during the game, though I will check for a cash out offer.

Why is that so wrong?

Paul Merson/Gambling on 20:50 - Oct 14 with 424 viewslifelong

Paul Merson/Gambling on 14:07 - Oct 14 by onehunglow

Personally,I would have simply wiped out the horse racing industry and shut racecourses and built affordable housing on them.
Never would happen of course a the Monarch herself is a big fan. Ironic really or maybe not.

No lives have ever been enhanced by gambling but millions ruined.

And we carry on slagging each other off when our views are challenged.

Nothing wrong with the occasional flutter, as long as you can afford it, to say that no lives have ever been enhanced by gambling is not completely accurate, Take the national lottery for example, many thousands of people have been made financially secure by winning large amounts of money by participating in it.

What I find strange is when people like Merson, who have earned huge money in their careers, find it necessary to throw it all away.
Paul Merson/Gambling on 22:25 - Oct 14 with 392 viewsonehunglow

Paul Merson/Gambling on 20:50 - Oct 14 by lifelong

Nothing wrong with the occasional flutter, as long as you can afford it, to say that no lives have ever been enhanced by gambling is not completely accurate, Take the national lottery for example, many thousands of people have been made financially secure by winning large amounts of money by participating in it.

What I find strange is when people like Merson, who have earned huge money in their careers, find it necessary to throw it all away.

Now that is better.

Now ask why our kids are being tempted by adverts as young as 11 and ask if it's right.

Then ,consider the suicide rate

Merson is simply another victim of a weakness that has killed him inside

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024