Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! 14:08 - Mar 1 with 6687 viewsTimBowen

For us oldsters that remember the Tosh era...doesn't time fly boys 'n girls eh?

Tosh became our manager 40 years ago today and began our amazing rise through the leagues, often producing outstanding football and brought us to the attention of the nation.

Along with Laudrup's first season with us, our first season under Toshack, (in the old 1st Division) were among my favourite seasons supporting the Super Swans!

What's the lyric in the Swansea City song? "The skill, the flair, the fluency, will lead us to where we're bound, and once again all Europe will hear the Swansea City sound!"
Fabulous lyrics for a fabulous era!

March 1st under Tosh also has another sweet memory, during that first season in the old First Division 1981-1982. As we beat Wolves 0-1 away at Molineux on St David's Day, (with BBC commentator Ian Walsh getting the winner, to send us back top of the Division! We all dreamed of a Welsh club looking likely to win the League that year...sadly, we fell away after that, ending up 6th!

Fantastic memories indeed! Thank you for those incredible days Tosh.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 14:14 - Mar 1 with 5186 viewsswancity

Fantastic period in the history of Swansea City. And Malcolm Struel deserves much credit and praise.
Recall Toshacks first game as Manager v old rivals Watford a 3-3 draw with around 16000 at the Vetch...not bad for a 4th division game.
Great days to be a Swans fan. Wonderful memories. 👍🏻

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 14:14 - Mar 1 with 5185 viewsFlashberryjack

Indeed they where Tim, fantastic times.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 14:22 - Mar 1 with 5172 viewssainthelens

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 14:14 - Mar 1 by swancity

Fantastic period in the history of Swansea City. And Malcolm Struel deserves much credit and praise.
Recall Toshacks first game as Manager v old rivals Watford a 3-3 draw with around 16000 at the Vetch...not bad for a 4th division game.

My late grandad took me to my first live game( that Watford game) top deck of double decker. There started my allegiance, and many thousands of bucks and miles later, I'm still loving it as much. Toshack has a lot to answer for !!
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 15:56 - Mar 1 with 5073 viewspikeypaul

Leaving the ground after that Wolves game was mental about 200 of them charging down on us from the top of the under pass we were lead down .We can all laugh now but being a teenager and going to all but 2 of the away games that year I think it was the most intimadating after game experience of the season.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 15:59]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 15:59 - Mar 1 with 5072 viewsmonmouth

I remember the defeat against Ipswich that knocked the stuffing out the challenge. One up through Robbie, then I think one of their Dutch caps scored and gurner Gates did us in. Also went to brum where we lost a dire game soon after and that was that. Very lucky to get out intact. Hated that place and that club ever since.

Great season though. Fantastic. Lovely memories.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 22:00]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 16:00 - Mar 1 with 5069 viewsmonmouth

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 15:56 - Mar 1 by pikeypaul

Leaving the ground after that Wolves game was mental about 200 of them charging down on us from the top of the under pass we were lead down .We can all laugh now but being a teenager and going to all but 2 of the away games that year I think it was the most intimadating after game experience of the season.

West Ham too. And the Scouse shithouses.

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 16:04 - Mar 1 with 5049 viewsbyron

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 16:00 - Mar 1 by monmouth

West Ham too. And the Scouse shithouses.

Cardiff lad sorted you out back then did he?

Benny

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 16:05 - Mar 1 with 5054 viewspikeypaul

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 15:59 - Mar 1 by monmouth

I remember the defeat against Ipswich that knocked the stuffing out the challenge. One up through Robbie, then I think one of their Dutch caps scored and gurner Gates did us in. Also went to brum where we lost a dire game soon after and that was that. Very lucky to get out intact. Hated that place and that club ever since.

West Brom away was was the 2nd Saturday of the season we lost 4-1 I think.

1st time I had seen a copper in a turban,sky blue if I recall correctly but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 16:06]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧

Login to get fewer ads

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 16:07 - Mar 1 with 5049 viewspikeypaul

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 16:04 - Mar 1 by byron

Cardiff lad sorted you out back then did he?

Swim away you stupid little boy.

---------------

Talking to a Swedish guy today out here in Asia and one off the first things he said when football and Wales was brought up was " Cardiff swim away" the wife burst out laughing.

It transpired that he has friends in the sandfields and comes over regularly to watch the Swans his next visit is in April and I wad amazed when he asked me do I know the Badminton pub.

His name is Kris from the middle of Sweden some of you Badminton locals may know him about 60 years old grey beard.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 16:20]

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 16:43 - Mar 1 with 4994 viewslifelong

That first game in the top flight against Leeds is firmly imbedded in the memory.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 17:02 - Mar 1 with 4964 viewsjacktheripper

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 15:59 - Mar 1 by monmouth

Played West Brom 3rd game of the season. I was there!
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 17:05]
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 17:07 - Mar 1 with 4952 viewsmonmouth

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 16:05 - Mar 1 by pikeypaul

West Brom away was was the 2nd Saturday of the season we lost 4-1 I think.

1st time I had seen a copper in a turban,sky blue if I recall correctly but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 16:06]

Should have read Brum

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:51 - Mar 1 with 4779 viewsTNT

We had lost away to Rochdale a few days before Toshack took over. I idolised him for doing just that, never mind what was to come.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:58 - Mar 1 with 4773 viewsKilkennyjack

I think the season before Tosh we scored more than 90 goals and did not go up. Bonkers.

Beware of the Risen People

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:04 - Mar 1 with 4751 viewsTNT

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:58 - Mar 1 by Kilkennyjack

I think the season before Tosh we scored more than 90 goals and did not go up. Bonkers.

Yep, 92, great season that was too even though we just missed out.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:17 - Mar 1 with 4736 viewsDewi1jack

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 14:14 - Mar 1 by swancity

My first game.
My dad, RIP, took me as he had a seasie on the Kop back then and wanted to see Tosh.
I fell in love with the team and the atmosphere and the rest is history.

Many happy years watching the Swans, playing some pretty sh1t football but us win.
Playing some absolutely beautiful football, beating the likes of Man City, yernited, liverpool etc etc

And many miserable days, nights in all weathers watching us lose

And a lot of heartache as mates, and friends made through our love of the club, pass on from this World .

Thanks Tosh.
For getting me into supporting my local team.
For me taking my kids down the NB and getting them into watching us
And now, my grandkids as well.

You absolute b'stard though.
You've cost me an absolute fuggin fortune in tickets, travel, beer and food

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:36 - Mar 1 with 4708 viewsbuilthjack

Think I met him at a game a couple of seasons ago, with a few other Swedes.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 18:06 - Mar 2 with 4480 viewsthe_oracle

It was strange how Watford became our main rivals during that period. Right through the divisions. Didn't they go up to first division a year before us?
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 18:21 - Mar 2 with 4469 viewstheloneranger

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 18:06 - Mar 2 by the_oracle

It was strange how Watford became our main rivals during that period. Right through the divisions. Didn't they go up to first division a year before us?

Swans promoted Season 1980/81

Watford promoted Season 1981/82 and finished as runners up in Division 1 Season 1982/83

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 18:23 - Mar 2 with 4464 viewsthe_oracle

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 18:21 - Mar 2 by theloneranger

Swans promoted Season 1980/81

Watford promoted Season 1981/82 and finished as runners up in Division 1 Season 1982/83

Thanks. So just one year we were apart during that period.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 18:43 - Mar 2 with 4435 viewsbyron

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 16:07 - Mar 1 by pikeypaul

Swim away you stupid little boy.

---------------

Talking to a Swedish guy today out here in Asia and one off the first things he said when football and Wales was brought up was " Cardiff swim away" the wife burst out laughing.

It transpired that he has friends in the sandfields and comes over regularly to watch the Swans his next visit is in April and I wad amazed when he asked me do I know the Badminton pub.

His name is Kris from the middle of Sweden some of you Badminton locals may know him about 60 years old grey beard.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 16:20]

What a bizarre response.....I’m lost for words....for once.

Benny

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:43 - Mar 2 with 4308 viewshydraulicjack

Fantastic times thaks tos 4.3 and 4.4 .....2 games in a row tranmere and watford i thknk fatastic times..but Laundry takes top place sorrh john

********************TRUST NO-ONE************************

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 23:13 - Mar 2 with 4293 viewsJack_Meoff

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:43 - Mar 2 by hydraulicjack

Fantastic times thaks tos 4.3 and 4.4 .....2 games in a row tranmere and watford i thknk fatastic times..but Laundry takes top place sorrh john

We all enjoy the confines of the communal clothes washing establishment, sneaking a look at ladies' smalls then trying to gauge how wilfully filthy and liberal with the index finger at the vinegar stroke they'd likely be. (Depending on width of gusset.)

That aside, who's your favourite ever Swans manager?
[Post edited 2 Mar 2018 23:14]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 23:38 - Mar 2 with 4268 viewslonglostjack

Great memory. The Messiah had arrived and he wasn't called Elton.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 09:21 - Mar 3 with 4186 viewscosy121

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 15:56 - Mar 1 by pikeypaul

I had been put out of the ground,so went up on bypass as could see in to the ground.ended up with the wolves fans lol
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024