Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First World War definitive book 08:07 - Nov 7 with 2116 viewsPegojack

An appeal to Loh, or anyone else who can help. With all the focus on the First World War in recent weeks, I realised that although I knew a lot about the fighting and the horrendous conditions endured, I knew nothing about the causes. The historical background. Can anyone recommend a definitive history book which covers the political build up, the war itself and maybe the aftermath? Thanks.
First World War definitive book on 08:37 - Nov 7 with 2105 viewsnicky

you could give this a try. I've not read it but Hastings is usually on point

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Catastrophe-Europe-Goes-War-1914/dp/0007519745/ref=sr_1
First World War definitive book on 08:41 - Nov 7 with 2098 viewsLohengrin

These two cover both periods very well, mate.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

First World War definitive book on 08:46 - Nov 7 with 2093 viewsLohengrin

For the war itself the best, most accessible short account would be this from a British perspective. I’ve turned to it hundreds of times over the years.

We’d be here for a month if I was to start listing books you ought to read but if it’s just an excellent general account you’re after then this would be it.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

First World War definitive book on 10:14 - Nov 7 with 2060 viewsCatullus

First World War definitive book on 08:46 - Nov 7 by Lohengrin

For the war itself the best, most accessible short account would be this from a British perspective. I’ve turned to it hundreds of times over the years.

We’d be here for a month if I was to start listing books you ought to read but if it’s just an excellent general account you’re after then this would be it.

I shall give that a try, if they have it on Kindle.

I do prefer the WW2 books though, out of personal interest. My grandfather was a Royal Marine Commando, I always look out for anything that's about places he served. He was in a lot of well known engagements, including the disastrous amphibious assault of Tobruk. He was on HMS Sikh which wa sunk and he made it to HMS Zulu, he was at El Alamein and Normandy.
How the hell he made it through I can barely understand and like you, Lohengrin, I don't idolise fotbballers or celebrities, my Grandfather is my hero.

I was watching Britain's Great War (BBC2 14.45) and it's hard to understand, to fathom out. So much stupidity and waste of life.
I think the final scene of Blackadder captured the stupidity very well. Imagine being told to go over the top and walk in lines towards machine guns, were they very brave or mad...or both? Lions led by Donkeys indeed.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

First World War definitive book on 10:52 - Nov 7 with 2046 viewscontroversial_jack

First World War definitive book on 10:14 - Nov 7 by Catullus

I do prefer the WW2 books though, out of personal interest. My grandfather was a Royal Marine Commando, I always look out for anything that's about places he served. He was in a lot of well known engagements, including the disastrous amphibious assault of Tobruk. He was on HMS Sikh which wa sunk and he made it to HMS Zulu, he was at El Alamein and Normandy.
How the hell he made it through I can barely understand and like you, Lohengrin, I don't idolise fotbballers or celebrities, my Grandfather is my hero.

I was watching Britain's Great War (BBC2 14.45) and it's hard to understand, to fathom out. So much stupidity and waste of life.
I think the final scene of Blackadder captured the stupidity very well. Imagine being told to go over the top and walk in lines towards machine guns, were they very brave or mad...or both? Lions led by Donkeys indeed.

Going over the top was the only option at the time, all armies did it, usually preceded by an artillery bombardment - often unsuccessfully
First World War definitive book on 11:04 - Nov 7 with 2038 viewsWarwickHunt

Buy a proper book, FFS.
First World War definitive book on 13:14 - Nov 7 with 2003 viewsPegojack

Thanks to all for the very interesting replies, which I will follow up.

Incidentally, if anyone would like to read a fantastic novel which I think describes very well what it was like to be fighting in it, I recommend Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, which I've just finished.
First World War definitive book on 13:21 - Nov 7 with 1986 viewsHighjack

This one mainly focuses on the Christmas truce as the title suggests but it is very good.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

First World War definitive book on 20:48 - Nov 7 with 1925 viewsCatullus

First World War definitive book on 11:04 - Nov 7 by WarwickHunt

Buy a proper book, FFS.

Why? So they can gather dust and take up loads of room? Until I got a reader on my tablet I used to buy "proper books" but my house was clogged up with them, we had books everywhere and ended up doing a boot sale.
With my reader I get to keep the books and read them again, when I want to, with no issues.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

First World War definitive book on 20:55 - Nov 7 with 1917 viewssherpajacob

The guns of August by Barbara tuchman is considered a classic regarding the build up and outbreak of war.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

First World War definitive book on 10:41 - Nov 8 with 1828 viewsjackal

Slightly off topic, but I'm reading " The Second World War " by Antony Beevor.
Simply written, informative and interesting. We all know about the war through films and tv but this explains it from start to finish.

I have a vague memory that my old French teacher in School was on H.M.S. Zulu and he watched the Bismarck go down.

Quite right. How these overpaid prats can be considered heroes by some is incredible.
Those who served are the real ones.
First World War definitive book on 11:40 - Nov 8 with 1813 viewslifelong

£3.49 on Kindle, just downloaded it. 👍
First World War definitive book on 15:14 - Nov 8 with 1778 viewsWarwickHunt

First World War definitive book on 20:48 - Nov 7 by Catullus

Why? So they can gather dust and take up loads of room? Until I got a reader on my tablet I used to buy "proper books" but my house was clogged up with them, we had books everywhere and ended up doing a boot sale.
With my reader I get to keep the books and read them again, when I want to, with no issues.

Philistine.

Catallus would turn in his grave.
First World War definitive book on 15:46 - Nov 8 with 1763 viewsunion_jack

I couldn't recommend this book highly enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mud-Blood-Poppycock-MILITARY-PAPERBACKS/dp/0304366595/r

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

First World War definitive book on 20:42 - Nov 8 with 1705 viewsleighton1318

First World War definitive book on 08:41 - Nov 7 by Lohengrin

These two cover both periods very well, mate.

The Sleepwalkers (above) is excellent IMO.
First World War definitive book on 21:05 - Nov 8 with 1693 viewsCatullus

First World War definitive book on 15:14 - Nov 8 by WarwickHunt

Philistine.

Catallus would turn in his grave.

I diverge from him in many areas, for example there is a Lesbia in my life but no Juventius.

Being married though it's definitely a case of Odi et amo!!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024