Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opposition to new smoking ban 08:09 - Apr 16 with 1503 viewsonehunglow

Being contested and led by the excreable Liz Truss ,a truly pitiful political ,no doubt influenced by the massive Tobacco industry .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Opposition to new smoking ban on 09:34 - Apr 16 with 913 viewsWhiterockin

I absolutely hate smoking always have and find smoking in public anti social. But why can't people make up their own mind if they want to smoke. I can understand having an age limit similar to alcohol, but surely there must be a choice. You can vote for the government at 18 (16 in Wales) but can't decide if you want to smoke. Furthermore why in Wales can you vote for the political future of the country and make that decision, while you have to wait another 2 years before you can make a decision on drinking alcohol.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 09:42 - Apr 16 with 904 viewsonehunglow

Opposition to new smoking ban on 09:34 - Apr 16 by Whiterockin

I absolutely hate smoking always have and find smoking in public anti social. But why can't people make up their own mind if they want to smoke. I can understand having an age limit similar to alcohol, but surely there must be a choice. You can vote for the government at 18 (16 in Wales) but can't decide if you want to smoke. Furthermore why in Wales can you vote for the political future of the country and make that decision, while you have to wait another 2 years before you can make a decision on drinking alcohol.

It's a fair point but the 17 billion pound cost to the NHS swings it for be as does the fact that sometimes people have to be protected from themselves
You could argue the same about seat belts and crash helmets
The tobacco lobby is powerful
Truss made me sick

Opposition to new smoking ban on 10:17 - Apr 16 with 888 viewspencoedjack

Opposition to new smoking ban on 09:42 - Apr 16 by onehunglow

It's a fair point but the 17 billion pound cost to the NHS swings it for be as does the fact that sometimes people have to be protected from themselves
You could argue the same about seat belts and crash helmets
The tobacco lobby is powerful
Truss made me sick

Maybe pedestrians should start wearing helmets to save the NHS money from accidents caused by those damn car drivers.

More nanny state malarkey.

For once I agree with Truss.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 11:19 - Apr 16 with 854 viewsmajorraglan

In her new book Truss continues to bleat about her demise as PM and blames the deep state, unelected elites, judiciary and she also blames the civil service for not being able to secure a Brexit deal with the US. In my opinion she’s off her trolley and as has been shown not up to it.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 11:56 - Apr 16 with 844 viewsDr_Winston

Opposition to new smoking ban on 10:17 - Apr 16 by pencoedjack

Maybe pedestrians should start wearing helmets to save the NHS money from accidents caused by those damn car drivers.

More nanny state malarkey.

For once I agree with Truss.

If only there were nearly a centuries worth of evidence to tell us whether prohibition works or not.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Opposition to new smoking ban on 12:23 - Apr 16 with 817 viewsAnotherJohn

Very difficult issue. I detest smoking and feel physically sick in a room full of smokers. Yet I wonder if this would be the thin end of the wedge, and other prohibitions would follow. As we've seen already our own Senedd likes to tell us what is best for us. Smoking does stand out as something that leads to more morbidity than anything else I can think of, but I would probably favour increased disincentives, raised age limits for ability to buy, and tougher restrictions on where it can be done, rather than an outright ban.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 12:31 - Apr 16 with 812 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Just keep hammering it on tax and clamp down on the black market. People can then pay their money and take their choice.

Easier said than done (the clamping down) I accept.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 13:00 - Apr 16 with 790 viewsonehunglow

Opposition to new smoking ban on 12:23 - Apr 16 by AnotherJohn

Very difficult issue. I detest smoking and feel physically sick in a room full of smokers. Yet I wonder if this would be the thin end of the wedge, and other prohibitions would follow. As we've seen already our own Senedd likes to tell us what is best for us. Smoking does stand out as something that leads to more morbidity than anything else I can think of, but I would probably favour increased disincentives, raised age limits for ability to buy, and tougher restrictions on where it can be done, rather than an outright ban.

Simply a habit that costs NHS billions per year .
This so people can enjoy buggering up their health and that of their kids
So,what about compulsory helmet wearing on motor cycles and seat belts in cars
It’s exactly the same thing
In fact,the logic seems to be people should be allowed to do what they want .
Over to you

Login to get fewer ads

Opposition to new smoking ban on 13:03 - Apr 16 with 770 viewsonehunglow

Opposition to new smoking ban on 12:23 - Apr 16 by AnotherJohn

I can remember a time when dictirs denied the link to cancer and smoking
This move should have the support of everyone
We either want a healthier lifestyle for our kids or not.
Talking of prohibition and restrictions…yep all for it especially sugary shite drinks which sees young kids with rotting teeth and guts hanging over pants by age of ten

Opposition to new smoking ban on 15:05 - Apr 16 with 723 viewsWhiterockin

Opposition to new smoking ban on 13:03 - Apr 16 by onehunglow

I can remember a time when dictirs denied the link to cancer and smoking
This move should have the support of everyone
We either want a healthier lifestyle for our kids or not.
Talking of prohibition and restrictions…yep all for it especially sugary shite drinks which sees young kids with rotting teeth and guts hanging over pants by age of ten

None of my children smoke nor do my grandchildren who are old enough. They all lead very healthy lifestyles by choice. I think they should all have the choice in what they do, we can advise and set an example that should be enough. I do not believe in removing their freedom.
[Post edited 16 Apr 15:22]
Opposition to new smoking ban on 15:50 - Apr 16 with 678 viewsAnotherJohn

Opposition to new smoking ban on 13:00 - Apr 16 by onehunglow

Simply a habit that costs NHS billions per year .
This so people can enjoy buggering up their health and that of their kids
So,what about compulsory helmet wearing on motor cycles and seat belts in cars
It’s exactly the same thing
In fact,the logic seems to be people should be allowed to do what they want .
Over to you

Well, as I said I have mixed feelings, and would probably go along with the no-smoking policy if pushed, but my worry is where do we draw the line? Do we legislate on things like sugar content, meal deals, meat eating, alcohol, dangerous adventures or sports, restrictions on car use to counter climate change, rationing of air travel for same reason, etc.? I am not keen on moving too far towards the nanny state.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 16:19 - Apr 16 with 655 viewsonehunglow

Opposition to new smoking ban on 15:50 - Apr 16 by AnotherJohn

Well, as I said I have mixed feelings, and would probably go along with the no-smoking policy if pushed, but my worry is where do we draw the line? Do we legislate on things like sugar content, meal deals, meat eating, alcohol, dangerous adventures or sports, restrictions on car use to counter climate change, rationing of air travel for same reason, etc.? I am not keen on moving too far towards the nanny state.

We can draw the line by utilising the criterion that a substance is known to kill and that resources are used costing millions of pounds to deal with it
No need for anyone to overreact and be fearful about a ' nanny state '
Irionically, labour Wales supports this and always has

Opposition to new smoking ban on 17:03 - Apr 16 with 619 viewsmax936

Hate smoking with a passion. I don't miss the nights in a pub filled with smoke and my clothes stinking of the stuff.
If people want to smoke its up to them though, just keep the disgusting things away from me, thanks in advance!

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Opposition to new smoking ban on 17:30 - Apr 16 with 603 viewsGwyn737

It’s a difficult one.

I wonder whether with smoking numbers falling pretty consistently over time it’s worth it.

I get the pressure smoking related diseases put in the NHS, yet most estimates put obesity as costing more lives and money.

As with most things, it comes down to money. Poverty is probably the biggest indicator to both being a smoker and overweight.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 18:46 - Apr 16 with 553 viewsSullutaCreturned

Opposition to new smoking ban on 11:56 - Apr 16 by Dr_Winston

If only there were nearly a centuries worth of evidence to tell us whether prohibition works or not.

Well there's 13 years worth of evidence form the USA.

I hate smoking and agree with encouragng people to give up but I'm not all for this nanny state nonsense.
Alcohol causes even more damage so maybe we should be outlawing that too?

Then there's sport, there's lots of injuries and people end up in hospital, ban it. Lots of accidents happen around the home, ban homes.

You know it makes sense.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 19:09 - Apr 16 with 537 viewsonehunglow

Is it a nanny state to have compulsory seat belts
Is it nanny state to have compulsory crash helmets
It's the same
As a 17 I rode motor cycles without helmet until a good chum got whacked by a car driver and spread his brains over Mumbles Rd
It's the same

Why not allow 9 yr olds to ride motor cycles over farmers lands
It's the same thing

Restrictions are they to save people from their own stupidity

Opposition to new smoking ban on 19:41 - Apr 16 with 517 viewsSullutaCreturned

Opposition to new smoking ban on 19:09 - Apr 16 by onehunglow

Is it a nanny state to have compulsory seat belts
Is it nanny state to have compulsory crash helmets
It's the same
As a 17 I rode motor cycles without helmet until a good chum got whacked by a car driver and spread his brains over Mumbles Rd
It's the same

Why not allow 9 yr olds to ride motor cycles over farmers lands
It's the same thing

Restrictions are they to save people from their own stupidity

The sun danages the skin and cause cancer, ban it.

Breathing,

https://www.mcb.illinois.edu/news/2018-12-31/how-oxygen-actually-damages-our-cel

Ban it.

LIFE, life is dangerous and people get killed, BAN IT.

Even clever people can make stupid decisions. How many restrictions should we accept?
Opposition to new smoking ban on 19:44 - Apr 16 with 517 viewsLuther27

Opposition to new smoking ban on 15:50 - Apr 16 by AnotherJohn

Thing is increasing tax doesn’t work. People find money…legally or illegally to pay for what they need. Do we legalise heroin?… crack cocaine? No we don’t because we know how addictive these drugs are. Smoking kills…it very rarely gives you a second chance. Education has failed…putting pictures of rotting lungs etc on cigarette packaging has failed. Hiding cigarettes behind closed doors has failed. Ban them along with vapes.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 19:52 - Apr 16 with 505 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

If someone chooses to do something that harms their health, kills their sperm count and makes them smell like a bin man’s cuff then that’s Darwinism in action.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Opposition to new smoking ban on 20:06 - Apr 16 with 477 viewslifelong

Gave up smoking in the 1970’s, watching my father, who was a woodbine smoker, die of lung cancer was the spur. Been anti smoking ever since.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 20:07 - Apr 16 with 477 viewsonehunglow

Opposition to new smoking ban on 19:41 - Apr 16 by SullutaCreturned

The sun danages the skin and cause cancer, ban it.

Breathing,

https://www.mcb.illinois.edu/news/2018-12-31/how-oxygen-actually-damages-our-cel

Ban it.

LIFE, life is dangerous and people get killed, BAN IT.

Even clever people can make stupid decisions. How many restrictions should we accept?

The Sun is a natural phenomenon
We can protect against it
Nobody answers my question of Seats Belts or helmet
Why do we infringe the human rights of toddlers and have them strapped into a car seat
It could cause them stress

Innit
[Post edited 16 Apr 20:10]

Opposition to new smoking ban on 20:25 - Apr 16 with 440 viewscontroversial_jack

Opposition to new smoking ban on 20:07 - Apr 16 by onehunglow

The Sun is a natural phenomenon
We can protect against it
Nobody answers my question of Seats Belts or helmet
Why do we infringe the human rights of toddlers and have them strapped into a car seat
It could cause them stress

Innit
[Post edited 16 Apr 20:10]

You can't protect yourself against the sun if you want to lay out in it, which many do, but it's their choice and not against the law

Toddlers can't protect themselves, so need to be protected until they are older.

Smokers are adults and have the choice to protect themselves or not
Opposition to new smoking ban on 21:10 - Apr 16 with 396 viewsHoneyBadger

The whole thing is a distraction.

Trying to take the focus away from the absolute mess the UK is from an economic and social perspective.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 23:36 - Apr 16 with 317 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Most people die in bed.

Ban beds immediately.
Opposition to new smoking ban on 01:04 - Apr 17 with 307 viewsRobbie

My Dad smoked Woodbines unfiltered and Embassy fags years ago , 60 a day he was on .

Every morning , his head in the pan , coughing his lungs and guts up , not going there .

Then that was the way , a relaxing way after a tough day , have a smoke .

Really think this a good call on a smoking ban , takes years to implement , a way forward .

Wonder if our Politicians are now going to target substance abuse by many users .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024