Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Set Piece Defence 13:12 - Aug 26 with 2101 viewsbakajack

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster. I have been enjoying watching the Swans more this last month than any time for the past few years, I always used to be filled with dread when it came to opposition corners and free kicks and I know that Cooper and Margetson have said that improving the way we defend set pieces was crucial to their plans.

I've been thinking back on the first six games of the season and so far as I can remember we haven't conceded a single goal from set pieces at all yet this season (if you don't count the penalty)?
[Post edited 26 Aug 2019 13:13]
Set Piece Defence on 13:17 - Aug 26 with 2076 viewsThrasher6

Welcome. It's a very good point you make and light years away from Judus Potter's woeful attempts at sorting it out. Long may it continue....

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Set Piece Defence on 14:01 - Aug 26 with 1989 viewsBadlands

They had one set piece and we simply put every player in the penalty area with all but 3 of their players.
The ball bounced a bit and we hoofed out in panic.
Not convinced ... yet.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Set Piece Defence on 14:04 - Aug 26 with 1979 viewsEasternJack

In my memory, set pieces have always been a weakness for us - with brief respite during the Ash/Monk and Bound/Smith days

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Set Piece Defence on 14:07 - Aug 26 with 1965 viewsdickythorpe

Nailed it!!!! Exactly why I could never get the Potter " love in".
We never improved or learnt from our mistakes.

Very early days yet, but something's happening at the Liberty and at Fairwood.
Set Piece Defence on 14:10 - Aug 26 with 1955 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Set Piece Defence on 14:07 - Aug 26 by dickythorpe

Nailed it!!!! Exactly why I could never get the Potter " love in".
We never improved or learnt from our mistakes.

Very early days yet, but something's happening at the Liberty and at Fairwood.

Aye, but you were moaning like hell when Cooper was appointed! No ambition etc etc

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Set Piece Defence on 14:12 - Aug 26 with 1941 viewsHighjack

I’m disappointed with the way Joe Rodon keeps defending set pieces well and I’m very disappointed with the way he cleared the ball off the line against QPR.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Set Piece Defence on 14:17 - Aug 26 with 1922 viewsdickythorpe

Set Piece Defence on 14:10 - Aug 26 by Brynmill_Jack

Aye, but you were moaning like hell when Cooper was appointed! No ambition etc etc

Indeed I was Bryn. I was very torn at how the club was heading.
But , it seems a clean slate has been given this season and maybe a few egos have been given a jolt with a "prove to me you are Billy big bollox"

As long as the players show desire then I'm happy. I don't think all have in the last 3 -4 seasons.

Very happy to be proved wrong by Cooper, he seems an individual, his "own man".....maybe the players are responding, as they know he'll have no qualms in picking someone else over them, regardless of what we as fans think are better options.

You have to agree that we are getting results we wouldn't have last sesson (so far)
Set Piece Defence on 14:26 - Aug 26 with 1890 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Set Piece Defence on 14:17 - Aug 26 by dickythorpe

Indeed I was Bryn. I was very torn at how the club was heading.
But , it seems a clean slate has been given this season and maybe a few egos have been given a jolt with a "prove to me you are Billy big bollox"

As long as the players show desire then I'm happy. I don't think all have in the last 3 -4 seasons.

Very happy to be proved wrong by Cooper, he seems an individual, his "own man".....maybe the players are responding, as they know he'll have no qualms in picking someone else over them, regardless of what we as fans think are better options.

You have to agree that we are getting results we wouldn't have last sesson (so far)

Dicky, I couldn’t agree more. To be fair none of us thought things would take the turn they did , so far keeping Borja and Ayew and if we’re not stupid and keep hold of them the sky’s the limit . It’s great to be a Swans fan again.

Login to get fewer ads

Set Piece Defence on 14:26 - Aug 26 with 1889 viewsNotLoyal

Set Piece Defence on 14:10 - Aug 26 by Brynmill_Jack

I was delighted, another crystal clear appointment, credit where it's due.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Set Piece Defence on 14:34 - Aug 26 with 1873 viewsdickythorpe

Set Piece Defence on 14:26 - Aug 26 by Brynmill_Jack

Dicky, I couldn’t agree more. To be fair none of us thought things would take the turn they did , so far keeping Borja and Ayew and if we’re not stupid and keep hold of them the sky’s the limit . It’s great to be a Swans fan again.

Whisper it......but Bryn I'm enjoying watching the Swans again!!
Set Piece Defence on 14:49 - Aug 26 with 1842 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Set Piece Defence on 14:26 - Aug 26 by NotLoyal

I was delighted, another crystal clear appointment, credit where it's due.

Well it turned out to be a great fit. Loving how assured the players are looking out on the pitch.

Set Piece Defence on 15:49 - Aug 26 with 1705 viewsmonmouth

Set Piece Defence on 14:34 - Aug 26 by dickythorpe

Whisper it......but Bryn I'm enjoying watching the Swans again!!

Don’t whisper it. Shout it. Megaphone it.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Set Piece Defence on 16:04 - Aug 26 with 1657 viewsBadlands

Set Piece Defence on 14:04 - Aug 26 by EasternJack

In my memory, set pieces have always been a weakness for us - with brief respite during the Ash/Monk and Bound/Smith days

TBF Sousa sorted out our defence mainly with Tate and Williams (with no fit goalscorer he had to) and I think (and for the resident toll that is my opinion, get over it) that's what set Monk against him.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Set Piece Defence on 16:07 - Aug 26 with 1651 viewsHighjack

Set Piece Defence on 14:04 - Aug 26 by EasternJack

Yeah for most of the last 15 years we’ve had quite a small team. Even our goalkeepers and centre backs have been relative midgets.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Set Piece Defence on 09:05 - Aug 27 with 1269 viewsandypitt56

I dont think its a coincidence either we have swapped from Zonal marking to man marking.
Set Piece Defence on 09:32 - Aug 27 with 1223 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Set Piece Defence on 09:05 - Aug 27 by andypitt56

I dont think its a coincidence either we have swapped from Zonal marking to man marking.

We defend much much better as a group in open play too. A plus SEVEN GD after only 5 games? Unbelievable, Jeff!

Set Piece Defence on 10:09 - Aug 27 with 1186 viewsjasper_T

Our open play defensive record was among the best in the league last season, and we switched to man marking under Potter.

Thought we looked a lot more open in the first four games this season than we did last, personally.
Set Piece Defence on 10:28 - Aug 27 with 1159 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Welcome bakajack, big improvement on defending set pieces so far.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024