Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
High Street maybe best in Wales! 01:01 - Sep 28 with 5349 viewsDJack

Best high street: Narberth, Swansea and Treorchy make shortlist

Three Welsh towns have been shortlisted in the UK's best high street awards.

Swansea, Treorchy and Narberth hope to take the crown after Crickhowell in Powys won the competition in 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49837780

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:43 - Sep 28 with 4038 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Narberth is like a little Dorset market town - very genteel and quirky. It's a shame Welsh Nationalists are so one eyed they can't appreciate a town like that. Probably would have the lovely shopfronts boarded up with pictures of leeks and dragons on them.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:45 - Sep 28 with 4033 viewsLeonWasGod

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:43 - Sep 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Narberth is like a little Dorset market town - very genteel and quirky. It's a shame Welsh Nationalists are so one eyed they can't appreciate a town like that. Probably would have the lovely shopfronts boarded up with pictures of leeks and dragons on them.

It’s lovely.

If Swansea can make the shortlist, I feel sorry for people who live elsewhere.

That list is bollox. Carmarthen is far nicer than Swansea, and only just up the road.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 9:47]
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:48 - Sep 28 with 4024 viewsKilkennyjack

At least they would stand up to right wing English nationalists who are willingly looking to trash the UK economy to make fortunes for their rich mates.

Levels.

Beware of the Risen People

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:51 - Sep 28 with 4016 viewsBrynmill_Jack

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:45 - Sep 28 by LeonWasGod

It’s lovely.

If Swansea can make the shortlist, I feel sorry for people who live elsewhere.

That list is bollox. Carmarthen is far nicer than Swansea, and only just up the road.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 9:47]

You're right, Camarthen is more genteel than Swansea too.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 18:01 - Sep 28 with 3895 viewsNotLoyal

One of the finest music venues in narberth. Went there with Skindred a few years back.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 18:57 - Sep 28 with 3871 viewsladyjack

Its Welsh, Mabinogion and all that, its right on the Landsker line now, the cafes sell Welsh produce this and Welsh produce that and the galleries are Welsh art this and Welsh art that.
Joe Allen is fluent and he is from there.

Where do you think most Welsh nationalists come from, lots tend to be Towy valley and the Llyn peninsula types, it is often the unionists that come from the ghettos.
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 19:01 - Sep 28 with 3861 viewsTreorchyjack

Talk about scraping the barrel!
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 20:12 - Sep 28 with 3813 viewsdickythorpe

There are problems here, Swansea is a city, Narberth has a closed down pub in its High Street and with all respect to Treorchy how many people who live in Wales but over and hour or more away would seriously think about visiting?

Good luck to all though!
Login to get fewer ads

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 20:41 - Sep 28 with 3794 viewstaffpunk

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 18:01 - Sep 28 by NotLoyal

One of the finest music venues in narberth. Went there with Skindred a few years back.

I put Dub War on in Ystrad Rhondda Rugby Club in the early 90's, only about 40 there, but what a great live band they were. I'm so pleased to see Benji has gone on to make a career out of music, he fully deserves it. As for the High Street awards, Treorchy is quite nice, great for a Pub crawl, but I'd be amazed if there's not nicer similar High Streets in the UK.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 20:48]

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 20:42 - Sep 28 with 3794 viewsProfessor

Treorchy remarkably has a thriving high street with many locally-owned shops and cafes. It does not have a big supermarket ( Lidl and co op) not a bypass like the other Rhondda Fawr towns. Hardly a tourist attraction I agree, but serves the village/town well. Cardiff is just far enough away I guess.
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 20:51 - Sep 28 with 3775 viewstaffpunk

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 20:42 - Sep 28 by Professor

Treorchy remarkably has a thriving high street with many locally-owned shops and cafes. It does not have a big supermarket ( Lidl and co op) not a bypass like the other Rhondda Fawr towns. Hardly a tourist attraction I agree, but serves the village/town well. Cardiff is just far enough away I guess.

Correct, too many Cafes though, one of which will be closing very soon. It is still a very nice town, and if I had enough cash, I'd move the Record Shop there.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:13 - Sep 28 with 3752 viewsUxbridge

I spend a lot of time in Narberth. It's bang average a town centre, if that. I guess it depends what you define as High St. Tenby is a far better place.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:41 - Sep 28 with 3726 viewslondonlisa2001

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:13 - Sep 28 by Uxbridge

I spend a lot of time in Narberth. It's bang average a town centre, if that. I guess it depends what you define as High St. Tenby is a far better place.

I always think Narbeth is a lovely high street.
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:42 - Sep 28 with 3726 viewsTaliesin

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:13 - Sep 28 by Uxbridge

Tenby would be ok if it wasn't for the people that visit it.
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 22:13 - Sep 28 with 3705 viewsUxbridge

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:41 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

There's a lovely deli there. We get a lot of stuff from there when down there. I'd struggle to pick anything else out that wasn't in every other town or village to be honest.

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 22:15 - Sep 28 with 3698 viewsUxbridge

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:42 - Sep 28 by Taliesin

Tenby would be ok if it wasn't for the people that visit it.

A commonly held view down there

Must admit I prefer Saundersfoot but Tenby has a lovely vibe about the place particularly off-season.

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 22:37 - Sep 28 with 3679 viewsdickythorpe

There's so much more to Pembs than just Tenby
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 22:57 - Sep 28 with 3663 viewsUxbridge

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 22:37 - Sep 28 by dickythorpe

There's so much more to Pembs than just Tenby

Isn't there just. Bosherston, Stackpole, Barafundle, Llys y fran, Cenarth, so many stunning places. Love it down there.

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 19:50 - Sep 29 with 3485 viewstaffpunk

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:41 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

I can't comment on the actual place, never been there. I did go and watch my local Rugby team-Ystrad Rhondda-against Narbeth yesterday. A dozen of their supporters were in my local before the game, lovely people...very posh mind...

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 20:46 - Sep 29 with 3450 viewsmajorraglan

Narbeth is a decent High Street, but I wouldn’t go overboard about the place. No big chains, a few small independent shops, a couple of cafe’s and pubs and that’s about it. There’s a small industrial estate on the edge of town where Tan Y Castell have a small factory shop which sells miss shapes and freezer packs if you like your Welsh cakes and bara brith.

Llandeiilo is another small town with a decent High Street.
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:10 - Sep 29 with 3434 viewsdickythorpe

Now Llandeilo is posh.
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:29 - Sep 29 with 3415 viewsFireboy2

Been a while since ive seen swanseas high st but after driving past it yesterday i think its definitely gone up in the world.
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 22:48 - Sep 29 with 3378 viewsexhmrc1

its certainly better than it was but I wouldnt say it is the best in Wales. It will get better after the student buildings are completed.
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 01:18 - Sep 30 with 3332 viewsNotLoyal

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 20:41 - Sep 28 by taffpunk

I put Dub War on in Ystrad Rhondda Rugby Club in the early 90's, only about 40 there, but what a great live band they were. I'm so pleased to see Benji has gone on to make a career out of music, he fully deserves it. As for the High Street awards, Treorchy is quite nice, great for a Pub crawl, but I'd be amazed if there's not nicer similar High Streets in the UK.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2019 20:48]

Benji is a top lad, very nice guy. Their set up off and on stage is very professional. Was hoping to meet up in abertillery ( I think it was ) when I was on the road with mau maus and pfs in October but the tour has been rescheduled for early 2020.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:15 - Sep 30 with 3252 viewstaffpunk

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 01:18 - Sep 30 by NotLoyal

Benji is a top lad, very nice guy. Their set up off and on stage is very professional. Was hoping to meet up in abertillery ( I think it was ) when I was on the road with mau maus and pfs in October but the tour has been rescheduled for early 2020.

I saw it was cancelled, I couldn't make it as I'm at a Punk Festival in Sheffield next weekend. There was a mini bus going over from the Rhondda, 2 great live bands. Hopefully I'll make the re-arranged date.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024