Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Self employed question 09:23 - Apr 16 with 2311 viewsdickythorpe

If you are self employed and find yourself with no work at this time, is it ok to take a zero hours contract job with a supermarket?
A good friend of mine is unbelievably getting hassle for doing this.

As far as I can see as long as you aren't making money for your business you are free to find a job elsewhere.
Self employed question on 09:30 - Apr 16 with 2027 viewsWhiterockin

Without being an expert I would say there are a lot off ifs and buts with this.

Is he getting any form of benefit, as self employed is he contracted by his company and pay tax as an individual or his company ect, ect.

You need a tax or benefits expert with this not an opinion.
Self employed question on 10:01 - Apr 16 with 1986 viewsNotLoyal

Damned if you do damned if you don't.
Maybe he should fly in from Romania.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Self employed question on 11:46 - Apr 16 with 1923 viewsBarrySwan

If you're self employed you're quite free to take on as many jobs as you wish in normal times or during the crisis.
Self employed question on 12:26 - Apr 16 with 1884 viewsswancity

Self employed question on 11:46 - Apr 16 by BarrySwan

If you're self employed you're quite free to take on as many jobs as you wish in normal times or during the crisis.

You are under normal circumstances but this isn’t normal as there are claims for Universal Credit, Grants, business interruption loans etc being made of course so advice would be sensible.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Self employed question on 09:44 - Apr 18 with 1685 viewstaffpunk

Any other people on here run small shops like myself? I was just expecting to have 80% of my loss of profits for 3 months paid to me in June, and tbh was very happy with that.

I've now been told by a fellow shopkeeper that I'm entitled to 10 grand off RCT Council. He's already been paid, within a week of filling in a simple form, I just need my reference numbers to show that I qualify for business rates relief. Shop owners who do pay rates can get 25 grand! Typically I threw the letter with the relevant ref no's in the bin about a fortnight ago, so have sent an e-mail off requesting another copy.

I'm not bragging, just baffled. It all seems a bit odd!
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 9:47]

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Self employed question on 10:15 - Apr 18 with 1647 viewsdickythorpe

https://businesswales.gov.wales/coronavirus-advice/support/financial-support-and

Any help Taff?
Self employed question on 10:28 - Apr 18 with 1612 viewstaffpunk

Self employed question on 10:15 - Apr 18 by dickythorpe

https://businesswales.gov.wales/coronavirus-advice/support/financial-support-and

Any help Taff?

Thanks Dicky, yes that's it, though nice to see it explained clearly in print. I come under the 'Welsh Gov't Business Grants' section-'Grant 2'. As I qualify for 'small business rates relief', all I need apparently is to supply my reference numbers and my Bank acc details, and I'm eligible. Just seems too good to be true!

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Self employed question on 10:28 - Apr 18 with 1611 viewsbuilthjack

The b@stards still won't pay a penny to the newly self employed.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

Self employed question on 10:30 - Apr 18 with 1603 viewstaffpunk

Self employed question on 10:28 - Apr 18 by builthjack

The b@stards still won't pay a penny to the newly self employed.

The guy in my arcade who's only opened his cafe recently won't get anything sadly. He is doing ok on deliveries, so hopefully he'll survive.

Self employed question on 10:40 - Apr 18 with 1582 viewsdickythorpe

Taff, can you still apply for the 10k if your business doesn't make 85k?

I have a mate who runs a tiny business and doesn't even make 10k a year
Self employed question on 10:44 - Apr 18 with 1579 viewstaffpunk

Self employed question on 10:40 - Apr 18 by dickythorpe

Taff, can you still apply for the 10k if your business doesn't make 85k?

I have a mate who runs a tiny business and doesn't even make 10k a year

It's all a bit of a minefield tbh, apparently because my shop qualifies for 'business rates relief' I'm eligible for the 10 grand. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Self employed question on 10:51 - Apr 18 with 1576 viewsdickythorpe

Self employed question on 10:44 - Apr 18 by taffpunk

It's all a bit of a minefield tbh, apparently because my shop qualifies for 'business rates relief' I'm eligible for the 10 grand. Sorry I can't be of more help.

No, that's fine.

I work with a person whose other half is reluctant to claim grants as he doesn't want to have to pay anything back in the future.....(I'm not sure exactly sure what his turnover is and what loans et etc he's got/entitled to)

It's just very sad to see people who've had the guts to set up on their own see their dreams fade.
Self employed question on 10:56 - Apr 18 with 1566 viewstaffpunk

Self employed question on 10:51 - Apr 18 by dickythorpe

No, that's fine.

I work with a person whose other half is reluctant to claim grants as he doesn't want to have to pay anything back in the future.....(I'm not sure exactly sure what his turnover is and what loans et etc he's got/entitled to)

It's just very sad to see people who've had the guts to set up on their own see their dreams fade.

I daresay they'll get it back eventually. Extra tax, and probably the 'business rates relief' scheme will be scrapped in the next couple of years. I'm very much a live for today type, so if I get it, I'm going to enjoy it...

Self employed question on 11:01 - Apr 18 with 1555 viewsbuilthjack

Self employed question on 10:51 - Apr 18 by dickythorpe

No, that's fine.

Lots of newly self employed over the last 18 months or so, who have pumped their life savings into self employment. Now they will lose all that. They can't claim a penny.
It's not right.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Self employed question on 12:05 - Apr 18 with 1514 viewsItchySphincter

I think your mate is fine getting a job dicky, I’ve applied for loads but no joy yet. I’ve even got myself a basic DBS check in case I’m asked for it. My problem is my That CV very is industry specific so when I upload it I think it gets rejected as unsuitable straight away.

I’ve got my CPC card for 7.5T and a a DBS so I’d love some sort of delivery job but as I’ve never had one before I don’t think I’m being considered.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Self employed question on 14:59 - Apr 18 with 1453 viewsDJack

Self employed question on 12:05 - Apr 18 by ItchySphincter

I think your mate is fine getting a job dicky, I’ve applied for loads but no joy yet. I’ve even got myself a basic DBS check in case I’m asked for it. My problem is my That CV very is industry specific so when I upload it I think it gets rejected as unsuitable straight away.

I’ve got my CPC card for 7.5T and a a DBS so I’d love some sort of delivery job but as I’ve never had one before I don’t think I’m being considered.

If I'm trying to "teach you to suck eggs" then I apologise but have you highlighted your tranferrable skills: can work unsupervised, work to deadlines, follow detailed instructions, clean driving license etc. I say this because they are desperate for drivers and I dare say there are many people,like yourself, who have the license but not the experience who will be taken up.

Good luck with your job searh.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Self employed question on 20:43 - Apr 18 with 1397 viewsItchySphincter

Self employed question on 14:59 - Apr 18 by DJack

If I'm trying to "teach you to suck eggs" then I apologise but have you highlighted your tranferrable skills: can work unsupervised, work to deadlines, follow detailed instructions, clean driving license etc. I say this because they are desperate for drivers and I dare say there are many people,like yourself, who have the license but not the experience who will be taken up.

Good luck with your job searh.

Any advice gratefully received tbh. I've never really had to get a job before - the first and last time I ever applied and interviewed was for the DVLA more than 20 years ago and after that I went on a career trajectory that included self employment and people asking me to work for them rather than the other way around. This new thing of applying for a job is an alien experience for me.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Self employed question on 21:15 - Apr 18 with 1378 viewsDJack

Self employed question on 20:43 - Apr 18 by ItchySphincter

Any advice gratefully received tbh. I've never really had to get a job before - the first and last time I ever applied and interviewed was for the DVLA more than 20 years ago and after that I went on a career trajectory that included self employment and people asking me to work for them rather than the other way around. This new thing of applying for a job is an alien experience for me.

Ultimately they want people who have the skillsets they require - and they can often state which ones. List the skills that they are after and work out what you have that matches or is tranferable then emphasise them and add proof of competency i.e. state when/where you did it - usually listing previous (recent) job roles and the tasks you did which demonstrate the said skills for matching. I suspect that Jackmanandboy and NeathJack will be able to offer good advice. Once again god luck with your search.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Self employed question on 14:08 - Apr 25 with 1262 viewstaffpunk

Self employed question on 10:15 - Apr 18 by dickythorpe

Any help Taff?

I managed to get the reference numbers I needed, so I applied for the grant and got it with no problems, in my account within 5 days. I've been telling other shop-keeper friends of mine to put in for it, some have, some are very foolishly imo not bothering. The local Councils have millions of pounds available for shop owners etc, if you know anyone please tell them to apply.

It's a very simple form, they're not asking any difficult questions, and not delving into your finances. If it wasn't for my mate who has a shop in Merthyr telling me about it, I'd have never known, and would have been more than happy with 80% of my loss of profits coming to me in June. I'm so glad he phoned me...
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 10:55]

Self employed question on 23:49 - Apr 25 with 1140 viewsdickythorpe

Good luck Taff
Self employed question on 02:41 - Apr 26 with 1112 viewsPozuelosSideys

The grants are for the business, not the employee or Directors of the business. They are meant to provide short term funding to furlough staff or cover overheads which otherwise would not be possible due to forced shutdown. (then again, it depends on the sort of business he has, how big it is, and what particular application is being made, ie loan or grant scheme etc)

I assume the guy is on his own payroll, plus possibly takes some form of dividends from the company too. He just needs to make sure all that income is covered on the funding application if required.

The fact he is looking to add additional personal income via a zero hours contract is nothing to do with his business or self employed status other than that he needs to make sure all is correctly accounted via his personal NICS and tax statements next year which he should already know all too well.

Even easier if he is put on supermarket payroll.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 2:48]

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Self employed question on 07:06 - Apr 26 with 1056 viewsbennytheblue

Self employed question on 10:28 - Apr 18 by taffpunk

Thanks Dicky, yes that's it, though nice to see it explained clearly in print. I come under the 'Welsh Gov't Business Grants' section-'Grant 2'. As I qualify for 'small business rates relief', all I need apparently is to supply my reference numbers and my Bank acc details, and I'm eligible. Just seems too good to be true!

I know lots who have had it, they might fire the odd accounting question at you but I doubt it. Cardiff council quick payers I hear, you will get it taff, you just need that number!
Self employed question on 07:07 - Apr 26 with 1055 viewsbennytheblue

Self employed question on 10:44 - Apr 18 by taffpunk

If it has a ‘rateable value’ you will qualify
Self employed question on 10:13 - Apr 26 with 995 viewstaffpunk

Self employed question on 07:06 - Apr 26 by bennytheblue

I know lots who have had it, they might fire the odd accounting question at you but I doubt it. Cardiff council quick payers I hear, you will get it taff, you just need that number!

Cheers, see my post above, I've already had it.

Self employed question on 07:36 - Apr 29 with 875 viewsdickythorpe

"Bounce back"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-a-coronavirus-bounce-back-loan

Is this any good?
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 7:36]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024