Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans 22:04 - Aug 3 with 3809 viewsKeithHaynes

What is your experience ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:11 - Aug 3 with 2414 viewsAguycalledJack

When I first moved to Carmarthen I was suprised at the amount of swans fans here and further west. Being from Gorseinon I hadn’t given it much though previously.

Gorseinon, Loughour and Pontarddulais also big swans areas as is Llanelli.
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:16 - Aug 3 with 2396 viewsWhiterockin

Many in Newtown mid Wales on my journeys north. I often stopped off for a coffee and was questioned of my allegiance. I was told Swansea was the correct answer. Exactly the same in pembroke
haverfordwest and Aberystwyth. North Wales seems liverpool. East Wales and the valleys just seem confused. Except Newport who dislike Cardiff more than us.
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:16 - Aug 3 with 2396 viewsKeithHaynes

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:11 - Aug 3 by AguycalledJack

When I first moved to Carmarthen I was suprised at the amount of swans fans here and further west. Being from Gorseinon I hadn’t given it much though previously.

Gorseinon, Loughour and Pontarddulais also big swans areas as is Llanelli.

Llanelli, now there’s a thought.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:27 - Aug 3 with 2370 viewsbuilthjack

Good support in my part of the world.
Builth, Llandrindod, Rhayader.
Loads in Llanidloes - NotLoyal witnessed a load from there on the train to Nottingham. The lads were loud.
Llanwrtyd Wells, always been huge support from there.
I would say that a few hundred get to home games.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:29 - Aug 3 with 2362 viewsbuilthjack

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:16 - Aug 3 by KeithHaynes

Indeed 👀

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:42 - Aug 3 with 2331 viewsAguycalledJack

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:16 - Aug 3 by KeithHaynes

Used to go home and away with some boys from Llanelli.
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:59 - Aug 3 with 2270 viewsKeithHaynes

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:42 - Aug 3 by AguycalledJack

Used to go home and away with some boys from Llanelli.

Wales games ?

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 23:10 - Aug 3 with 2243 viewsKeithHaynes

I will say when I was living in Gloucester the amount of Jacks was unreal. None of them from Llanelli mind. But there were loads. Actually there was one. Bit out of the numbers we had you would have thought more.

Llanelli eh 😂

Login to get fewer ads

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:44 - Aug 4 with 2073 viewsonehunglow

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 23:10 - Aug 3 by KeithHaynes

I will say when I was living in Gloucester the amount of Jacks was unreal. None of them from Llanelli mind. But there were loads. Actually there was one. Bit out of the numbers we had you would have thought more.

Llanelli eh 😂

In those days,Llanelli people would never support anything "jack".

#The Glen

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:48 - Aug 4 with 2073 viewsYrAlarch

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:44 - Aug 4 by onehunglow

In those days,Llanelli people would never support anything "jack".

#The Glen

Why do we call Llanelli folk 'turks'?
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:53 - Aug 4 with 2051 viewsWhiterockin

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:48 - Aug 4 by YrAlarch

Because of a docking dispute many years ago when Llanelli dockers unloaded a Turkish ship after Swansea dockers had refused.
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:56 - Aug 4 with 2028 viewsonehunglow

We called them worse,back in the day.
Lovely girls there though,especially when their husbands were on nights at Trostre.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:59 - Aug 4 with 2024 viewsBoundy

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:53 - Aug 4 by Whiterockin

Because of a docking dispute many years ago when Llanelli dockers unloaded a Turkish ship after Swansea dockers had refused.

I'm not saying you're wrong but there are a few other theories :
"There’s also a theory that in 1915, a Welsh Regiment battalion raised in Llanelli was sent to Gallipoli to fight the Turks, which led the Swansea battalion, who’d been sent to the Western Front, to apply the nickname." also

"Rev Ebenezer MorrisIn 1831, the vicar of the town was the larger than life Reverend Ebenezer Morris, while its new squire, living just across the road from Morris’s parish church in Llanelly House, was the English landowner William Chambers, an illegitimate son of Sir John Stepney, eighth baronet. Morris and Chambers were soon at loggerheads, and their quarrel eventually became so bitter that there were such surreal spats as the vicar publicly comparing Chambers to a hyena, and even throwing the squire out of a window of the Thomas Arms Hotel. One of the reasons for this bitter conflict between the two men was Chambers’ desire to widen the road outside his home, which would mean the loss of part of the churchyard and thus of the graves within it. Morris appealed to the local population by publishing three placards, in Welsh, denouncing Chambers and his scheme, and one of these — known as placard ‘C’ — imagined the ghosts of all those buried in the churchyard rising up and crying out for assistance:

Upon this, lo, a thousand voices at once rising in the graves with a shrill frightful scream sing, “Fathers, mothers, children, brothers, sisters, lovers, relations, old friends, nay, even Turks if there be any here of that race, come and assist us against the vile presumption, horrid desire, and the pomp and vanity of this English stranger!”.

The placards were produced as evidence in the subsequent court case against Morris, which resulted in the extraordinary outcome of the Vicar of Llanelli being fined twenty pounds and bound over to keep the peace, especially against William Chambers.

Is it, perhaps, too fanciful to suggest that in response to the placard, many Llanelli people proudly described themselves as Turks in order to show their support for Morris, and that this moniker then proved irresistible to visitors from neighbouring towns? Or could Morris’s comment possibly be a subtle allusion to Llanelli people already being known as Turks in 1831? At that time, the Turks had a particularly ferocious reputation: the Greek War of Independence, which witnessed many atrocities and in which the poet Byron died, had just ended, and only four years before the incident in Llanelli, the British fleet had fought a full-scale battle against the Turks at Navarino. Thus the nickname ‘Turks’ might have appealed equally to Llanelli people as a symbol of their spirit and fighting qualities, and to their neighbours as a way of damning the town as a den of heathen savagery. Regardless of this speculation, the fact is that William Chambers remained the squire of Llanelli for another twenty-four years, more than enough time for the name of ‘Turks’ to gain popular currency, and for people to forget why it had gained it in the first place. Even if the origins of the term were soon forgotten in Llanelli, such things often take on a life of their own; and there would certainly be a neat paradox in our distinctly ‘heathen’ nickname having been invented by the town’s vicar! "

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 09:22 - Aug 4 with 2001 viewsGixerJack

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:59 - Aug 4 by Boundy

"There’s also a theory that in 1915, a Welsh Regiment battalion raised in Llanelli was sent to Gallipoli to fight the Turks, which led the Swansea battalion, who’d been sent to the Western Front, to apply the nickname." also

"Rev Ebenezer MorrisIn 1831, the vicar of the town was the larger than life Reverend Ebenezer Morris, while its new squire, living just across the road from Morris’s parish church in Llanelly House, was the English landowner William Chambers, an illegitimate son of Sir John Stepney, eighth baronet. Morris and Chambers were soon at loggerheads, and their quarrel eventually became so bitter that there were such surreal spats as the vicar publicly comparing Chambers to a hyena, and even throwing the squire out of a window of the Thomas Arms Hotel. One of the reasons for this bitter conflict between the two men was Chambers’ desire to widen the road outside his home, which would mean the loss of part of the churchyard and thus of the graves within it. Morris appealed to the local population by publishing three placards, in Welsh, denouncing Chambers and his scheme, and one of these — known as placard ‘C’ — imagined the ghosts of all those buried in the churchyard rising up and crying out for assistance:

Upon this, lo, a thousand voices at once rising in the graves with a shrill frightful scream sing, “Fathers, mothers, children, brothers, sisters, lovers, relations, old friends, nay, even Turks if there be any here of that race, come and assist us against the vile presumption, horrid desire, and the pomp and vanity of this English stranger!”.

The placards were produced as evidence in the subsequent court case against Morris, which resulted in the extraordinary outcome of the Vicar of Llanelli being fined twenty pounds and bound over to keep the peace, especially against William Chambers.

Is it, perhaps, too fanciful to suggest that in response to the placard, many Llanelli people proudly described themselves as Turks in order to show their support for Morris, and that this moniker then proved irresistible to visitors from neighbouring towns? Or could Morris’s comment possibly be a subtle allusion to Llanelli people already being known as Turks in 1831? At that time, the Turks had a particularly ferocious reputation: the Greek War of Independence, which witnessed many atrocities and in which the poet Byron died, had just ended, and only four years before the incident in Llanelli, the British fleet had fought a full-scale battle against the Turks at Navarino. Thus the nickname ‘Turks’ might have appealed equally to Llanelli people as a symbol of their spirit and fighting qualities, and to their neighbours as a way of damning the town as a den of heathen savagery. Regardless of this speculation, the fact is that William Chambers remained the squire of Llanelli for another twenty-four years, more than enough time for the name of ‘Turks’ to gain popular currency, and for people to forget why it had gained it in the first place. Even if the origins of the term were soon forgotten in Llanelli, such things often take on a life of their own; and there would certainly be a neat paradox in our distinctly ‘heathen’ nickname having been invented by the town’s vicar! "

Nah, their just known for being back stabbers mun!!! 😂🤣😂
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 09:23 - Aug 4 with 1999 viewsTogg

There was a time 70s and 80s maybe part of the 90's when our friends in the East had a decent support in surrounding towns of Swansea. This started to change from the success of Toshack and onwards. The reconquest of these areas is now complete. Bar for the odd pensioner. Also many Swansea people have emigrated to Neath Llanelli etc and have now purified the blood and rid the area of such evil!
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 10:00]
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 09:38 - Aug 4 with 1980 viewsYrAlarch

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:53 - Aug 4 by Whiterockin

Thank you for your response
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 09:41 - Aug 4 with 1973 viewsYrAlarch

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 08:59 - Aug 4 by Boundy

Thank you for your response
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 10:13 - Aug 4 with 1941 viewsBadlands

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:27 - Aug 3 by builthjack

Loads in Llanidloes - NotLoyal witnessed a load from there on the train to Nottingham. The lads were loud.

Towns on the Mid Wales line have always been a good source of support for the Swans and for Swansea rugby over Llanelli (less so with the regions linking places like Llandovery in the Scarlet's camp).
Brecon always surprises me. Always considered more Cardiff than Swansea yet whenever I have been there I have seen plenty of Swans shirts but never a Bluetop.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 10:56 - Aug 4 with 1913 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Because they are absolute delights.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 10:57 - Aug 4 with 1911 viewsbuilthjack

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 10:13 - Aug 4 by Badlands

Towns on the Mid Wales line have always been a good source of support for the Swans and for Swansea rugby over Llanelli (less so with the regions linking places like Llandovery in the Scarlet's camp).
Brecon always surprises me. Always considered more Cardiff than Swansea yet whenever I have been there I have seen plenty of Swans shirts but never a Bluetop.

Brecon was blue years ago, but I would say it's 75% white now.
Still loads of plastic top 6 premier league people aboutvthese parts who have never watched them live but wear the shirts about the place. It boils my pi$$.

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 11:24 - Aug 4 with 1880 viewsowainglyndwr

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:27 - Aug 3 by builthjack

I was surprised how many supported the Swsns in the Machynlleth area ,
Which I think Cardiff fans found, so they sprayed graffiti all over Machynlleth a few years back returning from some away trip
Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 11:58 - Aug 4 with 1843 viewsbuilthjack

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 11:24 - Aug 4 by owainglyndwr

I was surprised how many supported the Swsns in the Machynlleth area ,
Which I think Cardiff fans found, so they sprayed graffiti all over Machynlleth a few years back returning from some away trip

Mach, Aber, loads of Swans fans

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 12:13 - Aug 4 with 1819 viewsItchySphincter

Lanelli is generally swans, no blue. Don’t confuse their love of Scarlets and disdain for Ospreys as dislike for the Swans.

Most of Wales is Swans in my experience. North of Aberystwyth is a bit patchy but I don’t think they really do any sport up there. Cardiff is Cardiff and a bit of Port Toilet only.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 12:51 - Aug 4 with 1777 viewsKeithHaynes

Same down in Pembrokeshire, there’s a guy down there who takes upward of six Wales / Cardiff flags to internationals. He’s obviously a bit strange. Pembrokeshire is massively white but they do have pockets of Cardiff fans, but minimal numbers. When I was younger and that was in the 80’s there were nobe there whatsoever that I ever saw anyway. And I would have as then kids went to gigs / whatever and they were all swans fans. Pembroke, Milford and Haverfordwest.

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 12:52 - Aug 4 with 1775 viewsAguycalledJack

Areas of Wales that follow the Swans on 22:59 - Aug 3 by KeithHaynes

Wales games ?

Swans.

Never been away with wales.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024