Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. 13:16 - Mar 20 with 2623 viewsReslovenSwan1

Not a big fan of the Daily Mail but at least some recognition of the notional Swansea way.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11879379/ON-ROAD-Swansea-play

Graham Thomas was once pulled up by the Welsh FA communications chief at A Ryan Giggs press conference for a Wales game. One question about Wales three questions about England. "Graham his is a Presser for Wales" was the response.

Same today with Arron Ramsey Wales Captain . His comments focused on are about Jim Radcliffe and Man Utd not Wales. Ramsey played 90 mins for Nice so must be still good enough for Wales. He keeps Ross Barclay on the bench. Ross is only 29. Bring him in for pre season at the seaside as a project.

Big Joe R did not come on for the Rennes FC win in Paris v PSG
[Post edited 20 Mar 2023 13:19]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 13:32 - Mar 20 with 2109 viewsKeithHaynes

Doesn’t seem to come from a position of any knowledge.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 13:44 - Mar 20 with 2082 viewsReslovenSwan1

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 13:32 - Mar 20 by KeithHaynes

Doesn’t seem to come from a position of any knowledge.

I see phrase like "fire sale" as lacking in integrity. Swansea sell well but have not bought well in recent years. Only Clucas was a panic sale. Fire sale is 5% -10% of true value. The phrase comes from fire damaged stock I presume,.

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 14:31 - Mar 20 with 2038 viewsQJumpingJack

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 13:44 - Mar 20 by ReslovenSwan1

I see phrase like "fire sale" as lacking in integrity. Swansea sell well but have not bought well in recent years. Only Clucas was a panic sale. Fire sale is 5% -10% of true value. The phrase comes from fire damaged stock I presume,.

Dan James to Leeds would have been a fire sale but thankfully Huw Jenkins stepped in.
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:35 - Mar 21 with 1786 viewsEagleEye

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 13:44 - Mar 20 by ReslovenSwan1

‘Fire sale’ is a fair term. Any players of any value are sold as opportunities arise. Most of our fans can see that. That is one of the reasons many are not renewing season tickets. The fact that most Championship, League 1 & 2 clubs are broke has meant that we have been unable to offload any more players
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 19:02 - Mar 21 with 1758 viewsReslovenSwan1

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:35 - Mar 21 by EagleEye

‘Fire sale’ is a fair term. Any players of any value are sold as opportunities arise. Most of our fans can see that. That is one of the reasons many are not renewing season tickets. The fact that most Championship, League 1 & 2 clubs are broke has meant that we have been unable to offload any more players

Trading of players is not a "fire sale", Fire sale suggests desperation and massive discounting. The Club business model includes selling players. Normally when a club wants one of Swansea players they are required to pay over the actual value of the player.

Rangers see Swansea as a trading club floating interest in both Whittaker and Piroe. Swansea declined a bid for Whittaker (allegedly) as the price was not sufficient.

In my opinion selling players for over their market values is a good thing if (and it is a big if) the recruitment is good. Swansea sold Jason Scotland who's best years were behind him and bought Scot Sinclair. This was good trading.

The January window was not a disaster. It has forced Martin to use players he was not using like Whittaker, Walsh, Cullen and Darling and give Ntcham a full 90. He was forced to adapt and improvise. I hope this is "keeping the powder dry" for the Summer.

The money saved on a Christie type loan can be given to Ogbene as part of a permanent deal. The US owners (like me) considered this team should be able to avoid relegation but not be good enough to challenge top 6. with or without new signings. No point therefore wasting god money of the like of Wolf and Christie type loan signings ( or Grant). Swansea would finish 8th instead of 14th. Who cares?

Benda, Cabango, Darling, Wood, Cooper, Cullen, Congreve and Piroe are young guys with and extra seasons experience on the CV. Lati also if he signs new deal.

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 20:01 - Mar 21 with 1708 viewsQJumpingJack

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 19:02 - Mar 21 by ReslovenSwan1

Trading of players is not a "fire sale", Fire sale suggests desperation and massive discounting. The Club business model includes selling players. Normally when a club wants one of Swansea players they are required to pay over the actual value of the player.

Rangers see Swansea as a trading club floating interest in both Whittaker and Piroe. Swansea declined a bid for Whittaker (allegedly) as the price was not sufficient.

In my opinion selling players for over their market values is a good thing if (and it is a big if) the recruitment is good. Swansea sold Jason Scotland who's best years were behind him and bought Scot Sinclair. This was good trading.

The January window was not a disaster. It has forced Martin to use players he was not using like Whittaker, Walsh, Cullen and Darling and give Ntcham a full 90. He was forced to adapt and improvise. I hope this is "keeping the powder dry" for the Summer.

The money saved on a Christie type loan can be given to Ogbene as part of a permanent deal. The US owners (like me) considered this team should be able to avoid relegation but not be good enough to challenge top 6. with or without new signings. No point therefore wasting god money of the like of Wolf and Christie type loan signings ( or Grant). Swansea would finish 8th instead of 14th. Who cares?

Benda, Cabango, Darling, Wood, Cooper, Cullen, Congreve and Piroe are young guys with and extra seasons experience on the CV. Lati also if he signs new deal.

The transfer window in January was a disaster. 0 out of 8 targets.
Watch the Silverstein interview with the Trust in early February.

[Post edited 21 Mar 2023 20:41]
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 19:38 - Mar 22 with 1572 viewsSullutaCreturned

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 19:02 - Mar 21 by ReslovenSwan1

When did the owners ever say this team was not good enough to challenge the top 6? Their stated aim is to get back to the EPL.

Isnt this just another case of you having an opinion and assuming the people who matter share it? Tou've done that many times, made very bad assumptions.

The january window was a complete and total disaster. We needed 3-4 players to tread water and what happened since proves that, we have sunk and sunk from a position where we were challenging to one where relegation looked more likley for a short while.

All clubs are trading clubs, saying anything else is nonsense, all clubs buy, sell and loan players. Selling players for over their markey value is obviously a good thing, you are just stating the bleeding obvious. You don't need to be a genius there.

Give Ogbene more money? Why exactly when he doesn't seem to be in Martin's plans. Ogbene has a permanent deal anyway, we own his services until his contract runs out.
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 20:06 - Mar 22 with 1553 viewsReslovenSwan1

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 19:38 - Mar 22 by SullutaCreturned

When did the owners ever say this team was not good enough to challenge the top 6? Their stated aim is to get back to the EPL.

Isnt this just another case of you having an opinion and assuming the people who matter share it? Tou've done that many times, made very bad assumptions.

The january window was a complete and total disaster. We needed 3-4 players to tread water and what happened since proves that, we have sunk and sunk from a position where we were challenging to one where relegation looked more likley for a short while.

All clubs are trading clubs, saying anything else is nonsense, all clubs buy, sell and loan players. Selling players for over their markey value is obviously a good thing, you are just stating the bleeding obvious. You don't need to be a genius there.

Give Ogbene more money? Why exactly when he doesn't seem to be in Martin's plans. Ogbene has a permanent deal anyway, we own his services until his contract runs out.

The owners say very little. I empathize with them and feel more able to understand how they think better than most. The ignorance of the average Swansea fan posting on social media is staggering. Even from the white collar ones.

There were no signing in January because (in my opinion) the owners were looking for distressed sellers and knock down prices. They have been severely burned in the past. How players like Barry McKay could ever put on a Swansea shirt is as much as a mystery to them as it is to me. I do not mention Clucas.

You are right. "Swansea needed 3-4 players to tread water". I know it, you know and they knew it. Solution. Treading water and finishing top 10 is a waste of time. I believe they knew what they were doing and accepted 16th not 10th and deliberately declined the treading water option. Players they signed were not being used such as Darling and Patterson.

They then put pressure on Martin to innovate and either move players out or use players from his squad. Darling at fullback bring back Cullen Use Whittaker who he clearly does not fancy in his set up. Martin picks the players the club picks the mentality and curbs waste. Martin was cornered and force to innovate and compromise on discarding expensive players.

The money proposed to be given to Grant on loan can be given to Ogbene in the summer for his signature. Ogbene is contract free in the Summer and martin admitted he likes the player.

January was good work and not a disaster. Cullen Walsh Ntcham Darling Patterson Fisher and other fringe players often on the bench are benefiting from Swansea not spending in January. What was the point of spending £3m to finish 9th? This is my point.

Login to get fewer ads

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 20:44 - Mar 22 with 1517 viewsswancity

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 20:06 - Mar 22 by ReslovenSwan1

The owners say very little. I empathize with them and feel more able to understand how they think better than most. The ignorance of the average Swansea fan posting on social media is staggering. Even from the white collar ones.

There were no signing in January because (in my opinion) the owners were looking for distressed sellers and knock down prices. They have been severely burned in the past. How players like Barry McKay could ever put on a Swansea shirt is as much as a mystery to them as it is to me. I do not mention Clucas.

You are right. "Swansea needed 3-4 players to tread water". I know it, you know and they knew it. Solution. Treading water and finishing top 10 is a waste of time. I believe they knew what they were doing and accepted 16th not 10th and deliberately declined the treading water option. Players they signed were not being used such as Darling and Patterson.

They then put pressure on Martin to innovate and either move players out or use players from his squad. Darling at fullback bring back Cullen Use Whittaker who he clearly does not fancy in his set up. Martin picks the players the club picks the mentality and curbs waste. Martin was cornered and force to innovate and compromise on discarding expensive players.

The money proposed to be given to Grant on loan can be given to Ogbene in the summer for his signature. Ogbene is contract free in the Summer and martin admitted he likes the player.

January was good work and not a disaster. Cullen Walsh Ntcham Darling Patterson Fisher and other fringe players often on the bench are benefiting from Swansea not spending in January. What was the point of spending £3m to finish 9th? This is my point.

“ What was the point in spending £3m to finish 9th? That is my point “.

But you don’t spend £3 to finish 9th. You spend £3m to do your best to finish in the top six. You show ambition within your means or you hand the baton to someone who can.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 22:25 - Mar 22 with 1479 viewsReslovenSwan1

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 20:44 - Mar 22 by swancity

“ What was the point in spending £3m to finish 9th? That is my point “.

But you don’t spend £3 to finish 9th. You spend £3m to do your best to finish in the top six. You show ambition within your means or you hand the baton to someone who can.

This Martin squad is not developing fast enough and is still inconsistent. I believe the owners did not believe this team can get to sixth this season. They took the strategic decision to invest next summer not in January. It i understood the market place is a lot easier then.

They trusted Martin could keep the club clear of trouble by using the full squad.

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 23:08 - Mar 22 with 1476 viewsBryanSwan

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 22:25 - Mar 22 by ReslovenSwan1

This Martin squad is not developing fast enough and is still inconsistent. I believe the owners did not believe this team can get to sixth this season. They took the strategic decision to invest next summer not in January. It i understood the market place is a lot easier then.

They trusted Martin could keep the club clear of trouble by using the full squad.

Either that or they didn't trust Martin to bring players in, his recent signings have not exactly been good value.
Or that whilst thinking we are safe they didn't think Martin could progress us and didn't want to invest any further into his project before he is parted with in the summer.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 06:59 - Mar 23 with 1435 viewsPawelAbbott

I think people are reading too much into the masterplan behind what went on in January.
Levein owns us, DC United and Brisbane Bullets. DC finished bottom of their division last season, the Bullets finished second to last. When they took over at the Liberty we had finished 8th in the Premier League. We are now around 27 places lower.
The simple fact is that they aren't very good at running competitive Sports teams.
I doubt that there was more to the January window than abject ineptitude.
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 07:36 - Mar 23 with 1413 viewspete

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 23:08 - Mar 22 by BryanSwan

Either that or they didn't trust Martin to bring players in, his recent signings have not exactly been good value.
Or that whilst thinking we are safe they didn't think Martin could progress us and didn't want to invest any further into his project before he is parted with in the summer.

Whilst R M will have an input of some sort it is the recruitment people who have the remit to recommend to the owners and its them who make the final desicion as recent windows prove.
I also think R M s future has been sorted agree or disagree with the current owners we all have opinions for or against but we do not count do we?
time will tell but all can see the recent past record on transfers ,
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 07:40 - Mar 23 with 1410 viewsSullutaCreturned

You think you are more able to understand them than most? That's quite arrogant don't you think? Not for the first time either have you claimed other Swansea fans are thick and you are cleverer, a bit of self awareness would not go amiss.

Treading water in January meant pushing the top 6 but not threatening the top two. You did see the league table I take it?

January was not good work, it was a cause, but not the only cause, of our slide down the table. We were only a couple of bad results from a relegation battle after having been I contention.

I agree with the post about inepritude!
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 08:04 - Mar 23 with 1400 viewsBoundy

Courage of your convictions is one thing but arrogance is not a good look , unless you have connections to within the workings of the Club then your opinions are as valid as the next person

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 08:52 - Mar 23 with 1377 viewsWhiterockin

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 06:59 - Mar 23 by PawelAbbott

I think people are reading too much into the masterplan behind what went on in January.
Levein owns us, DC United and Brisbane Bullets. DC finished bottom of their division last season, the Bullets finished second to last. When they took over at the Liberty we had finished 8th in the Premier League. We are now around 27 places lower.
The simple fact is that they aren't very good at running competitive Sports teams.
I doubt that there was more to the January window than abject ineptitude.

It shows that they know how to make money but not how to run a successful sporting enterprise. It all depends what we want from owners really. Personally I want it all, a club that is financially stable and competitive. One can but dream.
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 09:22 - Mar 23 with 1344 viewsPawelAbbott

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 08:52 - Mar 23 by Whiterockin

It shows that they know how to make money but not how to run a successful sporting enterprise. It all depends what we want from owners really. Personally I want it all, a club that is financially stable and competitive. One can but dream.

I'm not sure about the making money.
They paid for a Premier League club and now have a lower table Championship club. That's a sizable loss.
They were about to sell Dan James for £1M when he was worth £20M.
They put both Ayew and Bony on contracts with no relegation clauses in, apparently.
When we were second going into the January window under Cooper, they failed to push on, spend a bit and get us promoted.
They completely wasted the £70+M that was raised from the sale of Siggy and Llorente.

They are just completely incompetent. One of them must have some business sense. But, only a bit of it
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 09:32 - Mar 23 with 1342 viewsWhiterockin

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 09:22 - Mar 23 by PawelAbbott

They paid for a Premier League club and now have a lower table Championship club. That's a sizable loss.
They put both Ayew and Bony on contracts with no relegation clauses in, apparently.
When we were second going into the January window under Cooper, they failed to push on, spend a bit and get us promoted.
They completely wasted the £70+M that was raised from the sale of Siggy and Llorente.

They are just completely incompetent. One of them must have some business sense. But, only a bit of it

My interpretation was that they have a history of making money but not running sporting enterprises successfully .
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 13:02 - Mar 23 with 1282 viewsonehunglow

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 08:52 - Mar 23 by Whiterockin

Absolutely right.
Ambition is the right of every fan.
Or it should be
Those with dreams of this nature are referred to as eejits though .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:05 - Mar 23 with 1223 viewsReslovenSwan1

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 09:22 - Mar 23 by PawelAbbott

If you saw the Levien and Silverstein video recently you will have noticed how chilled Levien was and how tense Silverstein was?

The reason for this was they respective investments. Not sure about Silverstein but Levein is well in clover. DC United valuation a has rocketed to $650m. Perhaps 5 or 6 times his investment.

He is join owner, football in US is growing and there is no relegation. He sits on a huge profit with Kaplan who recently sold his holding in a financial company for perhaps close to $1 billion. They will make money with Swansea city in my opinion They were brave while Welsh rich-listers stayed away. They saw how the fans treated Huw Jenkins with they pseudo religious crap. (Greed, pieces of silver, Judas etc)

The £1.5m from Leeds was a loan fee not a transfer fee, There was another £8.5m if Leeds got promoted.

Swansea had to get past Fulham and Brentford. Cooper ditched Goykeres then stated he had no centre forward. He allegedly wanted Keinan Davis who is not as good as Goykeres. Sadly for every one Gibbs White was a cocked Englishman who only played 4 games. Swansea got him fit and he got pulled by Wolves. Bad luck.

The US guys backed Huw Jenkins and Ledbetter his recruitment guru who were excellent in the £1-£5 market but poor i for big ticket players. Levien who I regard as a cool dude did not whinge and has just brushed himself down and got back to work looking for new investment. Fans saying "Yanks out" are worse than clueless. It is not an option. You need to do more research
[Post edited 23 Mar 2023 18:17]

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:19 - Mar 23 with 1207 viewsWhiterockin

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:05 - Mar 23 by ReslovenSwan1

If you saw the Levien and Silverstein video recently you will have noticed how chilled Levien was and how tense Silverstein was?

The reason for this was they respective investments. Not sure about Silverstein but Levein is well in clover. DC United valuation a has rocketed to $650m. Perhaps 5 or 6 times his investment.

He is join owner, football in US is growing and there is no relegation. He sits on a huge profit with Kaplan who recently sold his holding in a financial company for perhaps close to $1 billion. They will make money with Swansea city in my opinion They were brave while Welsh rich-listers stayed away. They saw how the fans treated Huw Jenkins with they pseudo religious crap. (Greed, pieces of silver, Judas etc)

The £1.5m from Leeds was a loan fee not a transfer fee, There was another £8.5m if Leeds got promoted.

Swansea had to get past Fulham and Brentford. Cooper ditched Goykeres then stated he had no centre forward. He allegedly wanted Keinan Davis who is not as good as Goykeres. Sadly for every one Gibbs White was a cocked Englishman who only played 4 games. Swansea got him fit and he got pulled by Wolves. Bad luck.

The US guys backed Huw Jenkins and Ledbetter his recruitment guru who were excellent in the £1-£5 market but poor i for big ticket players. Levien who I regard as a cool dude did not whinge and has just brushed himself down and got back to work looking for new investment. Fans saying "Yanks out" are worse than clueless. It is not an option. You need to do more research

I do enough research in the stadium watching the dwindling attendances. Football is for the supporters not a plaything of whoever the current owners are, until they find another interest.
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:19 - Mar 23 with 1207 viewsBryanSwan

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 07:36 - Mar 23 by pete

Whilst R M will have an input of some sort it is the recruitment people who have the remit to recommend to the owners and its them who make the final desicion as recent windows prove.
I also think R M s future has been sorted agree or disagree with the current owners we all have opinions for or against but we do not count do we?
time will tell but all can see the recent past record on transfers ,

Completely, but i would suggest that Martin was perhaps influential in bringing Fisher, Darling and Sorinola. All 3 have had a tough time here.
Strikes me as there being no confidence in the recruitment or their targets and notbeing willing to back a manager who may not be here next season.
I would be incredibly surprised if he is.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:28 - Mar 23 with 1195 viewsReslovenSwan1

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:19 - Mar 23 by Whiterockin

I do enough research in the stadium watching the dwindling attendances. Football is for the supporters not a plaything of whoever the current owners are, until they find another interest.

You agree with me then that Swansea fans owning 20% of Swansea City was mistake. They simply were not up to the job. Sadly their education did not allow them to make big financial calls.

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:31 - Mar 23 with 1188 viewsWhiterockin

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:28 - Mar 23 by ReslovenSwan1

You agree with me then that Swansea fans owning 20% of Swansea City was mistake. They simply were not up to the job. Sadly their education did not allow them to make big financial calls.

That's quite an assumption to draw from that, but hardly unexpected.
Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 19:06 - Mar 23 with 1155 viewsSullutaCreturned

Dangerous Martinball and things Francais. on 18:05 - Mar 23 by ReslovenSwan1

Levein does not own DC United, all I xan find is that he has 5%. He bought that stake when they were valued at 800 million. That's not a gain by my maths.

Of course sonebody else might be bothered to do more digging and prove me wrong. I only had a quick look.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024