Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much exercise do you get a week? 18:30 - Sep 15 with 15221 viewsstuabd

I just had a check up and according to that bloody BMI index I need to lose some weight. I wouldn't say I was fat and I don't have a big gut, but according to my doctor I still need to lose some weight to get the BMI down.

I was just wondering how much exercise you guys get a week.
I'm 46
I play one hour of footy every Sunday
I then practise golf for 2 hours later in the week
I also get 18 holes a week in at the weekend

I hate gyms so the only alternative is to do more walking.

I feel like I could do more but with two kids and a ball-breaker of a wife :) its hard to get the time to do stuff.

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:02 - Sep 16 with 2311 viewsJuzzie

48 years old weigh around 77-80Kg and don't exercise at all, just don't get the time. Ride a motorbike to work, sit at a desk, ride home again. I try and get out for a walk at lunchtime and at weekends I'll take Juzzie Jnr for a walk in his buggy for an hour or so.
Playing with him does exert energy to some extent but it's not 'resistence' exercise.

I had a check up lat week at the GP... cholesterol down from 5.9 last year to 4.9 this year. Great! That's all down to eating better, cutting out pastries (that I love sooo much) and eating fresh food and veg (no ready-meals, stuff out of tins or packets etc).

The one issue is my blood pressure is slightly high, nothing serious but enough to need to do something about it. Work is the main cause as it's stressful pretty much every day and every month they are loading more & more work onto us (it will implode soon as everyone cannot cope).

Exercise is the best thing and I have to use the gym at work, at least once or twice a week. It's free so why not. Stop working through my lunch break, I don't get any thanks for it, and put myself first for once.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:03 - Sep 16 with 2309 viewsRunner14

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/northalafields/

All QPR fans welcome at Northolt.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:04 - Sep 16 with 2302 viewsR_from_afar

Great thread, interesting and inspiring stuff.

Years ago, I bought a cycle trainer (= rollers), inspired by my mate who uses his exercise bike for 10 minutes every day. The cycle trainer (under £100 at the time) is one of the best things I have ever bought and has done wonders for my fitness. I do a 30 minute stepped programme of my own devising, with interval sprints plus 1-2 minutes of flat out stuff, at least twice a week. I also use my bike as transport at weekends.

When not injured - I am currently grrr - I also play 8 a side footer for 90 minutes every week and the cycling has enabled me to compete with the other players, who are all younger, some a lot younger (I am 50).

As someone said here, getting "free" exercise is very helpful. Don't drive - cycle or walk, don't take the lift - use the stairs.

I used to have a chocolate bar and a packet of crisps every day and when I stopped that, I seemed to lose a stone almost overnight. I still eat those things but only occasionally; a chocolate bar at a QPR game is a nice way to counteract the sour taste from the on field disappointments.

I try to snack healthily and make sure I always take fruit and yoghurt to work so I can avoid the temptations brought in by colleagues and the fatty stuff on sale in the vending machines and canteen.

*** While we're talking exercise, remember that it is also the best thing you can do to boost the health of your brain. Not that that is evident from the bollox I usually post LOL

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:19 - Sep 16 with 2279 viewseastside_r

I’m 46 too like the OP. I haven’t consciously done any exercise since playing Sunday football (badly) at university.

I don’t drive, so get around town on public transport but walk quite a fair bit and always at a brisk pace.

Although I think BMI has largely been discredited I am a healthy weight by this standard. I eat fairly sensibly but do occasionally have junk food but I don’t eat cakes or anything like that.

My uncle (mum’s elder brother) was a fitness fanatic and cross country runner, didn't drink or smoke; dropped dead from a heart attack aged 48, so what can you do?
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:20 - Sep 16 with 2277 viewsTonto

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:03 - Sep 16 by Runner14

I've only run at my local course - despite it having a nasty hill that you go up 3 times!

I should consider being a park run tourist, if only to get back under 20 minutes again... (pb is 19.30)

I need to find some flat runs!

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:23 - Sep 16 with 2273 viewsA40Bosh

47 and only for the past two months have I got back in to a structured fitness routine so I am not Fat and Fifty in 24 months time.
Have been doing Pilates lesson for 1hr every week since April to sort out my "core" to overcome my back problems, which has also had a strange effect of dropping my waist size down by two inches once the muscles start doing some proper work.
Since mid July I have been going to the gym 3-4 times a week to do a combination of Cardio and also weights to build up muscle strength in back, shoulders and arms but most importantly my legs to try and slow the onset of Osteoarthritis in my left knee which was always a risk after surgery +10yrs.

Have actually got to the stage where I look forward to a session - which is something I never thought I would say.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:24 - Sep 16 with 2269 viewsMetallica_Hoop

And at the Scrubs.

There were 3 of us there last week!

in Rangers tops I may add.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 13:25]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:43 - Sep 16 with 2248 viewsSimonJames

I'm 50.
Had to give up rugby, running and 5 a-side football a couple of years back due to knee issues. Weight shot up.

I drink a bottle or so of bourbon per week plus the occasional Cobra, but I cut out most of the wheat based carbs from my diet (occasional bit of sourdough bread, and maybe pizza twice a year).

I've lost 23 pounds since the beginning of the year and put back some muscle.
How? Monday to Friday I do 350 burpees a day (7 sets of 50), 2 sets of chins up, 2 sets of pull ups, 2 sets of leg raises.

I've got about another stone to lose and I'll be in pretty good shape.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 13:45]

100% of people who drink water will die.

Login to get fewer ads

How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:30 - Sep 16 with 2223 viewsRunner14

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:20 - Sep 16 by Tonto

I've only run at my local course - despite it having a nasty hill that you go up 3 times!

I should consider being a park run tourist, if only to get back under 20 minutes again... (pb is 19.30)

I need to find some flat runs!

Northala is lightening fast . You should come & try it Tonto. Metallica's Wormwood Scrubs version is good as well & all on grass.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:48 - Sep 16 with 2209 viewsPlanetHonneywood

How much exercise do you get a week? on 09:13 - Sep 16 by CiderwithRsie

I am an amputee

Bit drastic as a way of losing weight if you ask me.

I damn near pissed myself laughing!

Can I also flag up on the Parkrun stuff, there is a facebook page some of us are members of called 'QPR Runners'.

Its not an admission that we lack faces and look to get on on our toes when the oppo arrive mobbed up, but a number of serious runners (a couple touching 100 marathons, ultramarathoners, through to serious regulars and of course, a retired marathoner taken to drastic weight reduction methods).

Come join?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 15:15 - Sep 16 with 2185 viewsBklynRanger

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:43 - Sep 16 by SimonJames

I'm 50.
Had to give up rugby, running and 5 a-side football a couple of years back due to knee issues. Weight shot up.

I drink a bottle or so of bourbon per week plus the occasional Cobra, but I cut out most of the wheat based carbs from my diet (occasional bit of sourdough bread, and maybe pizza twice a year).

I've lost 23 pounds since the beginning of the year and put back some muscle.
How? Monday to Friday I do 350 burpees a day (7 sets of 50), 2 sets of chins up, 2 sets of pull ups, 2 sets of leg raises.

I've got about another stone to lose and I'll be in pretty good shape.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 13:45]

350 burpees a day! Fcukin hell Simon, I think that constitutes a burpee addiction!
How much exercise do you get a week? on 15:18 - Sep 16 with 2179 viewsstowmarketrange

I trained for a charity trek last year and lost about a stone.Walking for long distances does work for me when I'm trying to lose weight,but I stopped doing it and I've put all the weight back on again.
I have my fitness test next week,and I don't think it will be good news this time.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 15:57 - Sep 16 with 2157 viewswestberksr

playing 6-8 a side twice a week and then on average an 11 a side every other week. walk the dog for an hour or so per day.

I might be healthy if i could give up chocolate. don't overdo the drink (maybe 1 per day with 1 session per week) but never more that 4-5 pints and generally eat fairly healthily.

aged 47 and need to step up a little bit to take control of the waistline.

hate the gym (that's a lie as i've never been in one; signed up once when concussed and it seemed like a good idea, but never went back)
How much exercise do you get a week? on 17:03 - Sep 16 with 2118 viewsscot1963

I'm 51 (and 3/4) and play tennis for an hour most days (my son is going to drop me soon as he says he can't be seen to be playing against a 60 year old woman), I walk everywhere as I can't drive and I've made up an indoor exercise programme selected from the various exercise video ads on the tv that concentrate on the thigh and bum, from the Brazilian butt lift to the 10 minute work out. I should be fit but then I go and eat too much chocolate/cake/sweets to make it effective.

I read somewhere (well it was The Mail) that a lot of people who aren't overweight will fall into the obese category if they go by the NHS guidelines. I just go by whether I can still fit in my clothes from the previous year as we go from season to season
How much exercise do you get a week? on 18:43 - Sep 16 with 2075 viewsSimonJames

How much exercise do you get a week? on 15:15 - Sep 16 by BklynRanger

350 burpees a day! Fcukin hell Simon, I think that constitutes a burpee addiction!

I'm working my way up to 400 and then I'll probably stop at that level.
I've had a Concept II Rower at home for the last 8 years, but burpees are way more effective for me.
Some of my friends have joined the Mamils and lost loads of weight that way, but they've all become rather obsessed with it. Besides cycling doesn't do much for your upper body strength, takes too long, and I don't trust the car drivers around here.

100% of people who drink water will die.

How much exercise do you get a week? on 19:43 - Sep 16 with 2060 viewsLewes_r

I may give that one a shot (try for a win wearing the hoops ;-) )

I normally do hove park Brighton 500 runners most weeks bloody packed

Is it all Tarmac ?

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 19:47 - Sep 16 with 2052 viewsWeaverQPR

Go to the gym anywhere between 2-5 times a week depending on my shifts, usually try and have a couple of runs on the treadmill for about 25mins / 4.5km

@WeavQPR

How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:39 - Sep 18 with 1967 viewsRunner14

How much exercise do you get a week? on 19:43 - Sep 16 by Lewes_r

I may give that one a shot (try for a win wearing the hoops ;-) )

I normally do hove park Brighton 500 runners most weeks bloody packed

Is it all Tarmac ?

90% very smooth tarmac with just one gravelly bit of about 150 metres. Trust me its quick!
How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:39 - Sep 18 with 1947 viewsade_qpr

Brought a fitbit. Use it as a guide not an exact count, but main goal is to burn 500 plus calories more than I eat a day. So far it's working 3.5 kilos in 5 weeks.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:55 - Sep 18 with 1942 viewsWatford_Ranger

Burpees are an absolute killer. Total respect to anyone doing 350 a day! Before my knee injury I was doing maybe 250 a week if that and thought that was a good effort.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:17 - Sep 19 with 1875 viewsbacardiinbrissie

I suppose in hindsight to my first post, buying a couple of grams of "chop" every week and sticking your fingers down your throat nightly would give the desired result.. Funnily it would probably be cheaper than gym and eating healthy!!!!

#JUSTSAYING....

How much exercise do you get a week? on 16:16 - Sep 19 with 1838 viewsdubaistu

I turned 38 this summer and thought to myself, enough is enough.

I'm 6"3, big build and was 124kg after stuffing my face on my holidays. Have two kids 2 1/2 and 7 months and my first step was packing in the smokes that I'd been on socially since a teenager.

I now Crossfit 3 times a week, swim 50 lengths another night and hit the bike and rower in the gym one night. Started to record all of my meals to track calories and cut down on the booze.

Feel a hell of a lot better for it and sleep like a dream now. I've found living in the middle east you don't get the chance to walk without melting, my biggest hate about the place.

Good luck with your goals.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 18:36 - Sep 19 with 1798 viewsoldmeadoniansR

How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:39 - Sep 18 by Runner14

90% very smooth tarmac with just one gravelly bit of about 150 metres. Trust me its quick!

The original parkrun bushey park is good. Can run all the way on grass if you want to (I do due to an ACL replacement in my twenties) Ran it today inspired by the thread haven't done it for at least a year. 26:15 sweating through my eyeballs. Great event though.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 18:52 - Sep 19 with 1790 viewsBklynRanger

How much exercise do you get a week? on 16:16 - Sep 19 by dubaistu

I turned 38 this summer and thought to myself, enough is enough.

I'm 6"3, big build and was 124kg after stuffing my face on my holidays. Have two kids 2 1/2 and 7 months and my first step was packing in the smokes that I'd been on socially since a teenager.

I now Crossfit 3 times a week, swim 50 lengths another night and hit the bike and rower in the gym one night. Started to record all of my meals to track calories and cut down on the booze.

Feel a hell of a lot better for it and sleep like a dream now. I've found living in the middle east you don't get the chance to walk without melting, my biggest hate about the place.

Good luck with your goals.

You definitely have my sympathy over the heat Stu. I've been moaning like a bastard to whoever would listen about trying to run in Brooklyn this summer - dissolving in sweat at times. You'd probably find that to be a crisp Spring day in comparison.

I remember reading 'Forever War' by Dexter Filkins - great book. Anyway he talked about running in Baghdad at night after dark when the temperature was still 110 degrees F. He was obviously acclimatised to it but still some achievement. I think at the time he was desperate to do anything that would relieve stress.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 21:47 - Sep 19 with 1772 viewsBerkoRanger

Lifting those pints is very tiring.

Exercise first thing in the morning - up down, up down then the other eyelid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024