Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antipodean Play-offs 05:34 - Nov 11 with 6912 viewsisawqpratwcity

Honduras-Oz nil-all
All Whites-Peru nil-all

Still all to play for, though NZ will be pushing it uphill, literally and figuratively, in the high-altitude return leg.

Luongo put a half-chance shot to their goalie after beating a couple of men.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Antipodean Play-offs on 08:38 - Nov 11 with 4707 viewsSuffolkHoop

NZ were unlucky not to beat Peru today. The lad Ryan Thomas a good little player, expect to see him in England soon.
Antipodean Play-offs on 08:48 - Nov 11 with 4702 viewsozexile

I thought the Oz played well. Luongo and Mooy briliant.
Antipodean Play-offs on 11:58 - Nov 11 with 4608 viewsTGRRRSSS

Delighted NZ got the draw, but don't think they have a hope away at altitude (I thought there were regulations on how high up you could play now?) Think Ecudor is higher than Peru though.....
Antipodean Play-offs on 13:28 - Nov 11 with 4526 viewsBoston

Antipodean Play-offs on 11:58 - Nov 11 by TGRRRSSS

Delighted NZ got the draw, but don't think they have a hope away at altitude (I thought there were regulations on how high up you could play now?) Think Ecudor is higher than Peru though.....

I guarantee you that Colombia is where you go for a high.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Antipodean Play-offs on 13:38 - Nov 11 with 4522 viewsLythamR

LIma is only about 1500
Antipodean Play-offs on 13:57 - Nov 11 with 4503 viewsDevonWhite

Antipodean Play-offs on 13:38 - Nov 11 by LythamR

LIma is only about 1500

Lima is at sea level
Antipodean Play-offs on 03:15 - Nov 12 with 4328 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Lima is a port city, so the Kiwis can't use altitude as an excuse.

Peru used to play a lot of games in Cusco and Iquitos to maximise their altitude advantage, but decided to play all their 2018 qualifies in Lima. But Peru does have the highest stadium above sea level in the world, at just under 14,000 feet.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Antipodean Play-offs on 20:27 - Nov 12 with 4162 viewsWalnut

Peru v NZ second leg live on Premier Sports 0215 Thursday
Login to get fewer ads

Antipodean Play-offs on 20:38 - Nov 12 with 4155 viewsPeterHucker

so with Northern Ireland out, then that mean Massimo Luongo is the only QPR player who might be playing at the World Cup next summer, is that right?
Antipodean Play-offs on 21:31 - Nov 12 with 4120 viewsJamesB1979

Antipodean Play-offs on 20:38 - Nov 12 by PeterHucker

so with Northern Ireland out, then that mean Massimo Luongo is the only QPR player who might be playing at the World Cup next summer, is that right?

Pawel?
Antipodean Play-offs on 23:06 - Nov 12 with 4069 viewsisawqpratwcity

Nice write-up for our boy: "The star of the show was the dynamic Luongo."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/13/diamond-works-for-luongo-and-so

Antipodean Play-offs on 23:22 - Nov 12 with 4052 viewsPeterHucker

Antipodean Play-offs on 21:31 - Nov 12 by JamesB1979

Pawel?

I know Poland have already qualified but is Pawel going to make the squad? He doesn't seem to play much for them.
Antipodean Play-offs on 04:21 - Nov 13 with 4004 viewsjoolsyp

Antipodean Play-offs on 23:06 - Nov 12 by isawqpratwcity

Nice write-up for our boy: "The star of the show was the dynamic Luongo."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/13/diamond-works-for-luongo-and-so

"The star of the show was the dynamic Luongo. Operating on the right of the diamond the QPR man was in perpetual motion, busy breaking down Honduran attacks, applying a relentless press and, crucially, taking the game on in possession. His drive with the ball at his feet gave Australia an edge they should have capitalised on. Luongo’s darting run early in the game deserved better than his tame shot straight at Donis Escober, and he was the architect for the second-half header Juric could not direct out of reach of the keeper.

Luongo has long proven himself in green and gold but remains on the periphery of a starting place in Postecoglou’s preferred midfield set-up, one shaped more like a square with Mooy alongside a holding midfielder at the base, and the scheming Rogic and pacey Kruse further forward; in effect a pair of sixes supplying a pair of 10s. By rotating the square 45 degrees the system suddenly demands not only one six and one 10, but a pair of energetic box-to-box eights, a position Luongo fills expertly."

Off in January then?
Antipodean Play-offs on 08:13 - Nov 13 with 3927 viewsTheChef

Come on Peru!!

I love NZ as a country but they really couldn't give two hoots about football over rugby.

Whereas the whole of Peru is desperate to qualify, they haven't been to a World Cup since 1982!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Antipodean Play-offs on 08:43 - Nov 13 with 3903 viewsozranger

I'd be surprised if Postecoglou starts Luongo in the Sydney game. He treats Luongo as a defensive player as opposed to Olly who wants him more forward. So Rogic would more likely start instead.
Antipodean Play-offs on 09:05 - Nov 13 with 3891 viewsdanehoop

Antipodean Play-offs on 04:21 - Nov 13 by joolsyp

"The star of the show was the dynamic Luongo. Operating on the right of the diamond the QPR man was in perpetual motion, busy breaking down Honduran attacks, applying a relentless press and, crucially, taking the game on in possession. His drive with the ball at his feet gave Australia an edge they should have capitalised on. Luongo’s darting run early in the game deserved better than his tame shot straight at Donis Escober, and he was the architect for the second-half header Juric could not direct out of reach of the keeper.

Luongo has long proven himself in green and gold but remains on the periphery of a starting place in Postecoglou’s preferred midfield set-up, one shaped more like a square with Mooy alongside a holding midfielder at the base, and the scheming Rogic and pacey Kruse further forward; in effect a pair of sixes supplying a pair of 10s. By rotating the square 45 degrees the system suddenly demands not only one six and one 10, but a pair of energetic box-to-box eights, a position Luongo fills expertly."

Off in January then?

£8-10M would do.

Never knowingly understood

Antipodean Play-offs on 08:12 - Nov 15 with 3660 viewsozranger

Antipodean Play-offs on 08:43 - Nov 13 by ozranger

I'd be surprised if Postecoglou starts Luongo in the Sydney game. He treats Luongo as a defensive player as opposed to Olly who wants him more forward. So Rogic would more likely start instead.

Luongo, as stated, is not starting in the second game (ko at 9am). Hope I can find a stream for this. Could be quite an interesting game. It will be a more attacking team with Rogic, Leckie and Milligan in. Also, Jedinak, as captain, is starting again which will mean he'll be too stuffed to play for Villa on Saturday.
Antipodean Play-offs on 09:21 - Nov 15 with 3595 viewsstevec

Antipodean Play-offs on 09:05 - Nov 13 by danehoop

£8-10M would do.

I think any would be suitor will take note of.. ''Luongo’s darting run early in the game deserving better than his tame shot straight at Donis Escober'' and amending their offer accordingly.
Antipodean Play-offs on 10:55 - Nov 15 with 3506 viewsozranger

And so Luongo will be at the WC. Oz won 3-1 with Honduras' goal coming in the 94th minute. Luongo did not play and so, hopefully, he will be good to get on the field on Saturday.
Antipodean Play-offs on 10:56 - Nov 15 with 3505 viewsterryb

If you thought the penalty decision for the Swiss was bad, watch the one for Australia's second goal!

3-1 to the Aussies with a 90 degree deflection & two penalities. Honduras scored with the last kick of the game. It was a very comfortable win.
Antipodean Play-offs on 11:02 - Nov 15 with 3501 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Comfortable win
Luongo was man of the match at the weekend - felt he should have played instead of Milligan tonight
However at least he'll go back to QPR a bit fresher (hopefully) and continue to play well for us
Antipodean Play-offs on 11:03 - Nov 15 with 3493 viewsNorthernr

Antipodean Play-offs on 10:55 - Nov 15 by ozranger

And so Luongo will be at the WC. Oz won 3-1 with Honduras' goal coming in the 94th minute. Luongo did not play and so, hopefully, he will be good to get on the field on Saturday.

May have been a Hollowat exaggeration but he said after Forest that Luongo won't be back in London until the day of the game so might be a stretch.
Antipodean Play-offs on 11:04 - Nov 15 with 3490 viewsaston_hoop

Someone get Mass in a taxi to the airport now, he can do his celebrating on the flight back! Pleased for him though, having an excellent season and hopefully a world cup in site at the end will inspire him even more.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Antipodean Play-offs on 11:23 - Nov 15 with 3457 viewsisawqpratwcity

Antipodean Play-offs on 11:03 - Nov 15 by Northernr

May have been a Hollowat exaggeration but he said after Forest that Luongo won't be back in London until the day of the game so might be a stretch.

There's no reason he shouldn't be back easily sometime Friday.

Now if only New Zealand can do it...COYAWs!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 11:26]

Antipodean Play-offs on 11:28 - Nov 15 with 3445 viewsNorthernr

Antipodean Play-offs on 11:23 - Nov 15 by isawqpratwcity

There's no reason he shouldn't be back easily sometime Friday.

Now if only New Zealand can do it...COYAWs!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 11:26]

Yeh I'm sure, just repeating what Holloway said.

Actually he said he "wouldn't see him until Saturday" which maybe means he lands Friday but can't train that day.

If he is out I hope we just put Manning in, not a square peg Ngbakoto v Burton situation again.

This post has been edited by an administrator
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024