Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sylla not featuring today 18:30 - Jan 6 with 15655 viewsbosh67

We know Luongo was rested today but do we read anything into Sylla not featuring in the squad? Injured? Rested? Lined up to leave?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sylla not featuring today on 10:09 - Jan 10 with 2084 viewsBrightonhoop

Sylla not featuring today on 13:55 - Jan 9 by SimonJames

But surely "practice makes perfect". And I suspect Sylla is capable of more than Smith is - not that either of them are ever likely to light the division up.

I cant see Sylla improving and that's the predicament.
Sylla not featuring today on 11:35 - Jan 10 with 2020 viewsTacticalR

I wonder if another problem for Sylla is the 'forward's dilemma'. If you are a goal hanger with a natural inclination to conserve your energy for goal-scoring opportunities, yet you are being asked to run around (press, defend from the front etc), you can end up further from goal most of the game and perhaps not sharp to take the opportunities that do arise when you are near the goal.

Air hostess clique

Sylla not featuring today on 11:42 - Jan 10 with 1994 viewsWestbourneR

Sylla not featuring today on 11:35 - Jan 10 by TacticalR

I wonder if another problem for Sylla is the 'forward's dilemma'. If you are a goal hanger with a natural inclination to conserve your energy for goal-scoring opportunities, yet you are being asked to run around (press, defend from the front etc), you can end up further from goal most of the game and perhaps not sharp to take the opportunities that do arise when you are near the goal.

I agree with this. I find Holloway's obsession on how much the main striker runs around totally facile. It's pretty much always pointless as the defender always has an easy out but most importantly the by far most crucial aspect for a striker (when we are where we are) is - do they score?

He constantly digging out Sylla for his work-rate and then in pre-season interview refers to his respectable goal scoring record as 'a happy knack'. Like it's some kind of fluke and nothing to do with ability.

Let's face it he's got a downer on Sylla, he's got a downer on foreign players in general.

Has he given Sylla half as many chances as Conor Washington? No.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Sylla not featuring today on 12:13 - Jan 10 with 1947 viewsBrightonhoop

Sylla not featuring today on 11:42 - Jan 10 by WestbourneR

I agree with this. I find Holloway's obsession on how much the main striker runs around totally facile. It's pretty much always pointless as the defender always has an easy out but most importantly the by far most crucial aspect for a striker (when we are where we are) is - do they score?

He constantly digging out Sylla for his work-rate and then in pre-season interview refers to his respectable goal scoring record as 'a happy knack'. Like it's some kind of fluke and nothing to do with ability.

Let's face it he's got a downer on Sylla, he's got a downer on foreign players in general.

Maybe you're right on the Sylla/Washington stat I dont know. And I want to see Sylla succeed.
He had three starts over the Xmas period and played for an hour before being subbed off, so 3 hours and no goals. He's got to take his chances to be fair and isn't.
Sylla not featuring today on 12:41 - Jan 10 with 1913 viewsR_from_afar

I think that Holloway simply wants - expects - every player to close down when they don't have the ball. I wonder if he feels that if one player, however promising, fails to do that, it undermines the discipline of the whole team.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Sylla not featuring today on 17:46 - Jan 11 with 1755 viewsPinnerPaul

Sylla not featuring today on 18:35 - Jan 6 by flynnbo

We read that Holloway hasn't got much of a clue and has no plan B. Unless we have a striker lined up then he has a lot to answer for leaving him out.

As I pointed out last week Smith's Goals per minute better this season and over their careers to date.
Sylla not featuring today on 18:48 - Jan 11 with 1690 viewsflynnbo

Sylla not featuring today on 17:46 - Jan 11 by PinnerPaul

As I pointed out last week Smith's Goals per minute better this season and over their careers to date.

And of the two, I'm of the opinion that Sylla is a better all round player who can bring others into a game. Smith is too one dimensional and slow to boot. Impact sub.
Sylla not featuring today on 20:52 - Jan 11 with 1642 viewsdaveB

It's not about the striker running around a lot it's pressing from the front to force mistakes, Guardiola has the same argument against Aguero that Holloway has with Sylla.

The two forwards pressing high then backed up by the midfield forces errors. When Sylla or SMith plays the pressing doesn't happen and the opposition find it a lot easier to get at our midfield and back four.
Login to get fewer ads

Sylla not featuring today on 21:02 - Jan 11 with 1625 viewsdaveB

Sylla not featuring today on 12:13 - Jan 10 by Brightonhoop

Maybe you're right on the Sylla/Washington stat I dont know. And I want to see Sylla succeed.
He had three starts over the Xmas period and played for an hour before being subbed off, so 3 hours and no goals. He's got to take his chances to be fair and isn't.

Sylla has started 10 this season (10 subs appearances),
Washington 15 starts (7 sub appearances).
4 goals each in that time

Last year under Holloway Sylla started 10 came off the bench 12 times and scored 6 goals
Washington started 17 and came off the bench 8 times scoring 6 goals

So it's not a massive difference in terms of appearances, (Washington has 7 more starts) and both have the same number of goals in that time
Sylla not featuring today on 10:56 - Jan 12 with 1484 viewsWestbourneR

Sylla not featuring today on 21:02 - Jan 11 by daveB

Sylla has started 10 this season (10 subs appearances),
Washington 15 starts (7 sub appearances).
4 goals each in that time

Last year under Holloway Sylla started 10 came off the bench 12 times and scored 6 goals
Washington started 17 and came off the bench 8 times scoring 6 goals

So it's not a massive difference in terms of appearances, (Washington has 7 more starts) and both have the same number of goals in that time

Well that's an interesting take on the stats. I'd say that's a pretty major difference in the number of starts (Washington has around 50% more in both seasons) and yet Sylla has the same number of goals. So Sylla is the superior goal scorer.

Look if Washington had lots of other great attributes to his game it'd be a differ matter but he doesn't.

Also no one is saying Sylla is great but he's the best we have at the moment.

Sylla not featuring today on 11:04 - Jan 12 with 1463 viewsSimonJames

And I don't recall Gary Lineker doing a lot off the ball - certainly not enough to earn a yellow card. But what he did do a lot, was concentrate on getting himself into position to score from crosses into the box.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Sylla not featuring today on 12:03 - Jan 12 with 1411 viewsdaveB

Sylla not featuring today on 10:56 - Jan 12 by WestbourneR

Well that's an interesting take on the stats. I'd say that's a pretty major difference in the number of starts (Washington has around 50% more in both seasons) and yet Sylla has the same number of goals. So Sylla is the superior goal scorer.

Look if Washington had lots of other great attributes to his game it'd be a differ matter but he doesn't.

Also no one is saying Sylla is great but he's the best we have at the moment.

Washington has started more but not a huge difference between them really, Washington started 7 more this year and 5 more last year so wouldn't say it was a major difference. both got the same number of goals which I was a little surprised at, I'd assumed Sylla would have got a lot more.

I don't think either of them are particularly brilliant but not buying that Sylla hasn't been given a chance by Holloway, he keeps going back to him but Sylla like all our forwards isn't that good so I would expect us to flip around between the 3 of them for the rest of the season.
Sylla not featuring today on 12:23 - Jan 12 with 1367 viewsWestbourneR

Sylla not featuring today on 12:03 - Jan 12 by daveB

Washington has started more but not a huge difference between them really, Washington started 7 more this year and 5 more last year so wouldn't say it was a major difference. both got the same number of goals which I was a little surprised at, I'd assumed Sylla would have got a lot more.

I don't think either of them are particularly brilliant but not buying that Sylla hasn't been given a chance by Holloway, he keeps going back to him but Sylla like all our forwards isn't that good so I would expect us to flip around between the 3 of them for the rest of the season.

Dave - 5 and 7 starts is a big difference and Washington has been given more for a chance despite, on average, providing less of a return. That's suggests there is little logic behind it but favouritism.

Sylla not featuring today on 12:47 - Jan 12 with 1336 viewsdaveB

Sylla not featuring today on 12:23 - Jan 12 by WestbourneR

Dave - 5 and 7 starts is a big difference and Washington has been given more for a chance despite, on average, providing less of a return. That's suggests there is little logic behind it but favouritism.

Not sure it's about Favoritism. They've both scored the same number of goals since Holloway arrived. Washington fits in more with how Holloway wants to play with pressing from the front which is why he's started more games but it's not as if he has never picked Sylla, he's started him in plenty of games.

Similar issue with Smith who is poor at closing down and has only started 6 games this season so less than Sylla but would be seen as a Holloway favorite.
Sylla not featuring today on 12:57 - Jan 12 with 1313 viewsdavman

Agree with this.

As much as I like Matt Smith, he simply can't do the running around Ollie expects from Sylla, so why does he get off the hook? As long as Strikers disrupt the channels (which can be trained) and do not let Central Defenders to advance up the field without challenge, they have done enough.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Sylla not featuring today on 13:49 - Jan 12 with 1279 viewsdaveB

Sylla not featuring today on 12:57 - Jan 12 by davman

Agree with this.

As much as I like Matt Smith, he simply can't do the running around Ollie expects from Sylla, so why does he get off the hook? As long as Strikers disrupt the channels (which can be trained) and do not let Central Defenders to advance up the field without challenge, they have done enough.

Smith doesn't get off the hook which is why he doesn't start many games, a lot less than Sylla does
Sylla not featuring today on 14:07 - Jan 12 with 1259 viewsNorthernr

Arguing over the relative merits of QPR's strikers is like judging the Miss Scunthorpe Pageant really isn't it? They're all not very good, and we can't do very much about it.
Sylla not featuring today on 14:13 - Jan 12 with 1243 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sylla not featuring today on 14:07 - Jan 12 by Northernr

Arguing over the relative merits of QPR's strikers is like judging the Miss Scunthorpe Pageant really isn't it? They're all not very good, and we can't do very much about it.

True but people have seen the light with Washington just got to open their eyes on Sylla just another minger.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 14:14]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Sylla not featuring today on 14:54 - Jan 12 with 1208 viewsSimonJames

Sylla not featuring today on 14:07 - Jan 12 by Northernr

100% of people who drink water will die.

Sylla not featuring today on 16:02 - Jan 12 with 1156 viewsPinnerPaul

Sylla not featuring today on 00:56 - Jan 8 by Spaghetti_Hoops

The difficult thing for Sylla isn't scoring. It's getting on the pitch.

He has only played around a third of our game time this season. The same as last season. 10 goals is a good return from such limited chances.

Still I expect he'll soon be gone joining a long list of players who left QPR only to do better somewhere else.

PS some of you don't seem to understand. It doesn't matter whether a player only scores inside the six yard box. It doesn't matter whether they have a habit of waiting for the ball. It doesn't matter if only 50% of their shots are on target. It doesn't matter that they score lucky goals. The thing that matters is how many goals they score, because goals win matches.

and you don't understand or have chosen to ignore the fact that his Mins per goal both in 17/18 AND career to date are worse than Smith's.

Everyone has an opinion, no problem with that, but to imply that IH is being perverse in not picking Sylla is NOT backed up by the stats.
Sylla not featuring today on 16:04 - Jan 12 with 1155 viewsPinnerPaul

Sylla not featuring today on 09:47 - Jan 8 by WestbourneR

I like Sylla but there is not need to include a 'may' in that sentence. Sylla will never (ever) be as good as Charlie Austin. Once again, Austin is proving at Southampton what a brilliant all round striker he is.

And Charlie did used to score screamers from outside the box.

But we need to move on, find someone new, get back out there. Charlie is never coming back. We had him and we blew it. What a man. Anyway...

Sylla is not really great but he has some qualities - he can finish, head and hold up the ball. He can also look like a shambolic joke at times. But I think he is plenty good enough for us at the moment if he gets the right service.

TBF Charlie's mins per goal career stats are better than almost everyone else.
Sylla not featuring today on 16:04 - Jan 12 with 1153 viewsWestbourneR

Sylla not featuring today on 16:02 - Jan 12 by PinnerPaul

and you don't understand or have chosen to ignore the fact that his Mins per goal both in 17/18 AND career to date are worse than Smith's.

Everyone has an opinion, no problem with that, but to imply that IH is being perverse in not picking Sylla is NOT backed up by the stats.

Right Paul - apply that statistical logic to Washington and they tell me Holloway isn't being perverse in who he picks.

As I say - Sylla is the best of bad bunch.

Sylla not featuring today on 16:07 - Jan 12 with 1150 viewsPinnerPaul

Sylla not featuring today on 11:06 - Jan 7 by isawqpratwcity

Excellent post.

Its really not!

Smiths stats are better 17/18 AND career to date, so what to do - ah I have it just include 16/17 and 17/18 together to make my argument work!
Sylla not featuring today on 16:10 - Jan 12 with 1146 viewsPinnerPaul

Sylla not featuring today on 16:04 - Jan 12 by WestbourneR

Right Paul - apply that statistical logic to Washington and they tell me Holloway isn't being perverse in who he picks.

He hasn't started Washington for ages and Smith has done well (compared to both Sylla and Washington) plus his other solution produced a match winning goal/performance (Smyth) - so no I don't think he IS being perverse at all!
Sylla not featuring today on 16:47 - Jan 12 with 1112 viewsdaveB

Sylla not featuring today on 16:04 - Jan 12 by WestbourneR

what are you on about Holloway being perverse in who he picks, he hasn't picked Washington in weeks and Sylla has started 3 of the last 4 league games in which the only goal we scored was an own goal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024