Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 10:52 - Jan 28 with 10502 viewstraininvain

Just catching up on yesterday's football watching the Liverpool va WBA game. What a shambles!
VAR on 21:14 - Apr 16 with 1956 viewssmegma

VAR on 21:10 - Apr 16 by CheshireR

Tonight's Bundesliga game between Mainz and Frieburg has witnessed a new level of madness in the application of VAR.
The ref blows for half time and the Frieburg players go to the dressing room. The ref then decides to use VAR to check for a handball - for which nobody had appealed.
Mainz are awarded a penalty and the Frieburg team have to return from the dressing room for it to be taken.
Mainz score and lead 1.0 at half time.
Bonkers.

That's German efficiency in a nutshell !!!
VAR on 21:24 - Apr 16 with 1929 viewsCheshireR

VAR on 21:14 - Apr 16 by smegma

That's German efficiency in a nutshell !!!

It's a farce mate.
I remain to be convinced that these 'teething' problems encountered so far this season in Germany, Italy and the FA Cup here will be quickly resolved.
VAR on 21:29 - Apr 16 with 1917 viewssmegma

VAR on 21:24 - Apr 16 by CheshireR

It's a farce mate.
I remain to be convinced that these 'teething' problems encountered so far this season in Germany, Italy and the FA Cup here will be quickly resolved.

The World Cup is going to be ruined
VAR on 22:20 - Apr 16 with 1881 viewsLongsufferingR

VAR on 21:29 - Apr 16 by smegma

If that's what it takes to prove to FIFA that this is utter sht, then so be it. I hope the final is a complete VAR influenced blancmange.
VAR on 23:49 - Apr 16 with 1817 viewsdaveB

VAR on 21:10 - Apr 16 by CheshireR

Tonight's Bundesliga game between Mainz and Frieburg has witnessed a new level of madness in the application of VAR.
The ref blows for half time and the Frieburg players go to the dressing room. The ref then decides to use VAR to check for a handball - for which nobody had appealed.
Mainz are awarded a penalty and the Frieburg team have to return from the dressing room for it to be taken.
Mainz score and lead 1.0 at half time.
Bonkers.

Thats not a fault with VAR though it's a massive fault with how it is implemented. It looked a penalty but the ref is a complete moron for letting the players leave the pitch before doing anything
VAR on 10:51 - Apr 17 with 1733 viewsMedwayR

VAR on 23:49 - Apr 16 by daveB

Thats not a fault with VAR though it's a massive fault with how it is implemented. It looked a penalty but the ref is a complete moron for letting the players leave the pitch before doing anything

Exactly, VAR isn't the problem here & in my opinion is a positive step. The problem is the human element and how it's used, only once that's improved will it contribute to the game. It's baffling that having taken so long to decide whether to use it they then brought it in with so little thought about how to use it, it was doomed to fail initially but I'm still hopeful that it'll come good.

Poll: Who’s better?

VAR on 11:04 - Apr 17 with 1722 viewsQPR_John

VAR on 23:49 - Apr 16 by daveB

Video assistance works best in sports where it is the players that make the decision to appeal, tennis and cricket, but that would not be obviously possible currently in football and has to be left to the officials. Then there is the problem of stopping the game, the referee appeals to VAR, it show no foul, game has been stopped for no reason. I know there are plenty of stoppages now but this just adds to it and also the pressure on the referee with players and pundits having another dig why did he, why didn't he ask for assistance. In my opinion VAR should only be used to appeal when the game has been stopped. Then the referee can check if he wants and also contradicting my earlier statement the players can appeal the decision. If nothing else it will go a long way to eliminate players conning the referee by diving.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 11:06]
VAR on 11:39 - Apr 17 with 1695 viewsSnipper

It should’ve been brought in gradually. Goal line technology works because they worked on it with firms who could say definitively if it was a goal or not.

Next, it should’ve been brought in for goals possibly scored from an offside offence.

After that, it should’ve been brought in for penalty decisions.

Then, after all that is in, it should only be used by the manager of the team protesting the decision. With each team having 2 appeals to play with during the match.

With the way it is at this moment, the World Cup is going to be a bloody farce.
Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 11:58 - Apr 17 with 1684 viewsdaveB

VAR on 11:39 - Apr 17 by Snipper

It should’ve been brought in gradually. Goal line technology works because they worked on it with firms who could say definitively if it was a goal or not.

Next, it should’ve been brought in for goals possibly scored from an offside offence.

Then, after all that is in, it should only be used by the manager of the team protesting the decision. With each team having 2 appeals to play with during the match.

If you think VAR will make the World Cup a farce, wait till you see the pre match where a Bear will present a ball to the referee
VAR on 12:43 - Apr 17 with 1657 viewstimcocking

You have to wonder if they've deliberately fcuked up the implementation as badly as possible so they can make everybody hate it? Like they do with the safe standing issues and everything else. Either that, or their incompetence truly knows no bounds.

To me, it really did seem the proverbial no-brainer to use it on stuff like goal-line technology, but to say it's been an absolute fiasco so far would be an understatement.

It might yet kill me off.
VAR on 18:45 - Apr 17 with 1601 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR on 21:24 - Apr 16 by CheshireR

It's a farce mate.

and in Australia and Portugal and..........

I'm hoping/expecting it to be dropped or more likely, a ' postponement & further review' will take place after at least one major fall out from its use in the World Cup.

Don't forget PL , CL and EL NOT using it in 2018/19
VAR on 18:53 - Apr 17 with 1597 viewsrsonist

Completely gutted they've decided to rush it through for the World Cup. I'd already been thinking it was the last possible chance of a good international tournament before all the idiotic expansions come into force.
VAR on 20:03 - Apr 17 with 1579 viewsLongsufferingR

VAR on 11:39 - Apr 17 by Snipper

The reason GLT works is it a matter of fact whether the ball has crossed the line, and the decision is automated and instant. Offside, penalties, handball etc are matters of opinion and invariably open to debate. Even after VAR intervention, there are still doubts as to the decision arrived at in many cases. To save the game as we know it, they should be left to the officials on the pitch.
VAR on 20:36 - Apr 17 with 1563 viewsVancouverHoop

There was an incident in the Atlanta v Vancouver MLS match last month where the referee spent five minutes (really) looking at the video review of a penalty incident. Eventually he over-ruled his own original decision, that it was no penalty, and red-carded the offending player. In MLS red cards carry a one match ban, in this case it was rescinded by the league two days later after they had reviewed the incident. VAR is utterly without merit. It merely adds to controversy (which is why TV has promoted it) rather than removing it, and strips the game of it's momentum. However bad it is, or gets, it isn't going away though. Too many vested interests in the modern game want it. Eventually it'll make football at the top levels – International, senior pro leagues – a different game from lower levels, who won't be able to afford to implement it. If I'm still around I know what I'll be watching.
VAR on 22:55 - Apr 17 with 1517 viewsisawqpratwcity

I love the irony of people complaining about VAR. At least with VAR, improvement is an active part of the system. Point out a mistake and there is still the possibility of review. Where the system is at fault, improve the system. But where the ref is the final arbiter, it's 'tough titties, move on'.

Btw, PinnerP. what did you think of the Onuoha debacle the other week? A fair few people were jumping up and down about it around here.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

VAR on 23:51 - Apr 17 with 1504 viewsVancouverHoop

VAR on 22:55 - Apr 17 by isawqpratwcity

I love the irony of people complaining about VAR. At least with VAR, improvement is an active part of the system. Point out a mistake and there is still the possibility of review. Where the system is at fault, improve the system. But where the ref is the final arbiter, it's 'tough titties, move on'.

Btw, PinnerP. what did you think of the Onuoha debacle the other week? A fair few people were jumping up and down about it around here.

Improvement is an active part of any system, or should be, whether technological or human. Rules can always be clarified, officials given more training. It's the futile belief in the perfectibility of technology that's ironic. Sport is about human beings doing the best they can, occasionally they succeed, most of the time they don't. The rare occasions when they do is what makes watching these silly games worthwhile.
VAR on 00:52 - Apr 18 with 1495 viewsdigswellhoop

we gave a ref 2 kines peps no need for anything else
if you want var then get rid of the officials
in ither sports with this technology thee refs are afraid to make a decsion and bottle it and then it takes atkeast 3 5 minto sort it
PLEASE NEVER BRING IT UN
VAR on 02:18 - Apr 18 with 1485 viewsisawqpratwcity

VAR on 00:52 - Apr 18 by digswellhoop

in ither sports with this technology thee refs are afraid to make a decsion and bottle it and then it takes atkeast 3 5 minto sort it
PLEASE NEVER BRING IT UN

This. (I think...?)

VAR on 03:33 - Apr 18 with 1469 viewsisawqpratwcity

VAR on 23:51 - Apr 17 by VancouverHoop

Improvement is an active part of any system, or should be, whether technological or human. Rules can always be clarified, officials given more training. It's the futile belief in the perfectibility of technology that's ironic. Sport is about human beings doing the best they can, occasionally they succeed, most of the time they don't. The rare occasions when they do is what makes watching these silly games worthwhile.

Forget clarification of rules because that has to happen regardless whether the job is done by VAR or men chasing players around, pointing and going 'Peep, Peep' or waving little flags.

It's irrelevant if technology is perfectible or not because it is already better than human perception. Refereeing was doomed the day they invented the Action Replay. Now it's multiple, high speed, high resolution cameras and ball sensors that can tell you exactly what was where and when. If it takes too long or gets it wrong that's just the need to get the bugs out of the system (yes, and you know it: for 'bugs', read 'humans').

Sure, sport is about human beings doing the best they can, but that job is for the competitors. The absolute first priority for the referee is to enforce the Laws of the Game, and that means accuracy of decision. I think we all agree that the ref should be as near to invisible as possible. Sport should be the means to lift us up to levels of ecstasy, but nobody goes home after the game so stoked up by the performance of the ref that they have to immediately bang the missus up against the kitchen sink (except maybe the ref; eh, Pinner? ).

By all means, keep a ref to decide when an infraction should not interrupt the game or to determine intent or culpability, but know that that also opens the door to error and coercion. Absolute first rule: enforce the Laws of the Game.

VAR on 06:00 - Apr 18 with 1440 viewsVancouverHoop

It's irrelevant if technology is perfectible or not because it is already better than human perception. Refereeing was doomed the day they invented the Action Replay. Now it's multiple, high speed, high resolution cameras and ball sensors that can tell you exactly what was where and when. If it takes too long or gets it wrong that's just the need to get the bugs out of the system (yes, and you know it: for 'bugs', read 'humans').

Yes and the human eye can detect 11 million colours. Our two eyes also give us instantaneous spatial awareness in a compact convenient package. Seems pretty darned efficient to me but, once again, "better" or "worse" is not the issue. It's a matter of whether we want a game, as players and spectators, that is so different from that which has been codified over almost two hundred years that it becomes unrecognisable. I think most of us accept officials sometimes make mistakes, it's human error in a game played by humans, a reflection of life. If I want a game arbitrated by technology I'll play it on the same machine where I'm typing this message. That's fine but it isn't football, at least not for me,
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 6:03]
VAR on 06:03 - Apr 18 with 1433 viewsloftinoz

VAR on 00:52 - Apr 18 by digswellhoop

PLEASE NEVER BRING IT UN

Is this Stanley Unwin?
VAR on 07:14 - Apr 18 with 1419 viewsEsox_Lucius

VAR on 21:29 - Apr 16 by smegma

That boat sailed many years ago, and for various other reasons.

The grass is always greener.

VAR on 10:36 - Apr 18 with 1377 viewsisawqpratwcity

VAR on 06:00 - Apr 18 by VancouverHoop

Yes and the human eye can detect 11 million colours. Our two eyes also give us instantaneous spatial awareness in a compact convenient package. Seems pretty darned efficient to me but, once again, "better" or "worse" is not the issue. It's a matter of whether we want a game, as players and spectators, that is so different from that which has been codified over almost two hundred years that it becomes unrecognisable. I think most of us accept officials sometimes make mistakes, it's human error in a game played by humans, a reflection of life. If I want a game arbitrated by technology I'll play it on the same machine where I'm typing this message. That's fine but it isn't football, at least not for me,
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 6:03]

"If I want a game arbitrated by technology I'll play it on the same machine where I'm typing this message."

No you won't, because a machine can't come up with Adel Taarabt and make all those other real players look stupid by comparison.

We watch football for the joy of seeing live footballers do their best. Refereeing never adds to that, it only subtracts. The question is just by how much.

It's off to the lower leagues with you, Luddite! And never, ever complain about a refereeing mistake.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 10:41]

VAR on 13:43 - Apr 18 with 1337 viewsJuzzie

#VAR, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
VAR, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, why'all

Seriously though, I'm for it in principle but it does seem far more complex than a bleep when a ball goes over the line and needs a lot more working with to get it right. As much of that is how it's used by the officials but that'll come with time.

I think this years World Cup is way too soon and if it goes t*ts up could put huge pressure on the people who introduced it to bin it, which they'd really only have themselves to blame.

If it were to get binned, for whatever reason, I guess everyone who has been against it will all keep quiet every time an official get's it wrong?
VAR on 17:15 - Apr 18 with 1303 viewsQPR_John

VAR on 13:43 - Apr 18 by Juzzie

#VAR, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
VAR, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, why'all

Seriously though, I'm for it in principle but it does seem far more complex than a bleep when a ball goes over the line and needs a lot more working with to get it right. As much of that is how it's used by the officials but that'll come with time.

I think this years World Cup is way too soon and if it goes t*ts up could put huge pressure on the people who introduced it to bin it, which they'd really only have themselves to blame.

If it were to get binned, for whatever reason, I guess everyone who has been against it will all keep quiet every time an official get's it wrong?

"If it were to get binned, for whatever reason, I guess everyone who has been against it will all keep quiet every time an official get's it wrong?"

But that is not the point. Is it possible in a fast moving game like football to get every decision correct. To even approach that level every decision would have to be checked by VAR and games would go on for hours. As I said earlier the only way I can see VAR working is to only use it after the game has been stopped and give the manager/captain a set number of successful appeals. But of course that will never happened as the authorities cannot allow a system whereby a referees decision is shown to be wrong by the players.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 17:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024