Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 12:36 - Apr 30 with 5906 viewsAntti_Heinola

A lovely end to the season at LR, where results have been pretty good all season. It also, at least until TF's odd comments afterwards, provided real hope for next season. The only downer was the bizarre fight in the SA stand just below me, between two mature gentlemen who really were old enough to know better. Bit embarrassing - one of them went completely Barton-at-City-in-2013 - head completely gone. Madness. What was that all about? We were 2-1 up at that point, too.

1. POWER OF YOUTH: Let's get the caveats out the way, because caveats, mostly, are boring aren't they? Birmingham were pretty awful. But that is only a very, very small caveat when weighed up against the side we actually put out. By my calculations, none of the first XI were in the side 18 months ago, apart from Sylla, and even he has never been a regular. Seven of the 11 (Lumley, Kakay, Furlong, Manning, Chair, Eze, BOS) were under 23 and started the season with the asterisk of 'one for the future' next to their names and only two of them had had any sort of first Xi experience. Of our back five, the keeper is a youth product who'd only started one game for us before; the right back had only played four games for us, mostly in cups, the two CBs were out of position, and the left back is usually a central midfielder. The two oldest players in the team were Freeman and Sylla at 26 and 27 respectively. Given all of that, how good or bad Birmingham were is pretty irrelevant. That was a hugely inexperienced side without its four (maybe five) first choice centre backs and its first choice keeper and still we were the better side. There were, of course, a few scrambles and we were fortunate once or twice not to concede, particularly in the second half. But that was to be expected.

Overall, you couldn't have asked for more from that team. It was really impressive. We looked particularly good when getting the ball on the ground and playing through Chair, Freeman and Eze. We had pace. Everyone worked extremely hard. People knew their jobs. Scowen, I thought, was magnificent - he needed to be calm and disciplined as captain of a young side and that's exactly what he was. Freeman too, sparkled for probably the first time when playing in the same side as Eze and there were signs of a growing chemistry developing there. People worried before the game that teams around Birmingham would be angry if we fielded a weakened team - well, on paper this was the weakest team we fielded all season, with half the team changed from the previous week, and our captain left on the bench. And it was still easily good enough to win this game. Well done everyone.

2. CHAIR: Well, Ollie can't say we don't win when he plays now. I thought he had a great game and was arguably man of the match. He's been tidy whenever I've seen him play before, but this time he really upped his game. He started quite well, but as the game went on he seemed to grow in confidence and just get better and better, culminating in his richly deserved goal. It'll be really interesting to see how he develops. He clearly has a fabulous touch (one tough ball dropping out the sky in the second half he killed nonchalantly with one touch, giving the impression he could do that all day), his vision is good, he's tenacious, I thought he worked phenomenally hard and it was clear he and Eze in particular had a really good understanding between them.

His position is a slightly odd one. His Nick Barmby-esque shape makes you think he needs to play in the hole rather than be a central midfielder, but on Saturday he was certainly middle of midfield and despite giving up height and strength to his opposite numbers he wasn't over powered in the slightest. Having Scowen behind him clearly helped, and Freeman played very well too. The goal was brilliant. Freeman superbly skipping round a challenge and then playing an inventive ball well over the keeper for Chair to finish. It wasn't an easy one either, but, like Smyth the other week, his technique was excellent. Doesn't quite have the same dynamism as Freeman, but perhaps likes to move the ball quicker and perhaps there are signs that if Luongo or Freeman were to go this summer, Chair could be the one to step into their place next season. We'll see. Long way to go etc etc.

3. MANNING: I often wonder whether left back might end up being his position and although he struggled against Jota in the second half (can't blame him for that), I thought he did really well playing there on Saturday. He is a good defender, but if he could start playing there what he'd also offer is his immense quality in passing and crossing. He is, of course, very comfy on the ball, but that real ability he has to pick passes and put good balls into the box would give us an extra dimension from that part of the pitch (although Bidwell's been racking up the assists from there lately to be fair).

At the moment, I think his best position is still not decided. He's a really good player, but is he quite good enough for central midfield? Or os that where his talents can be best demonstrated? I'm not quite sure. The one thing we'd miss if he played left back would be his intelligent runs into the box, his ability to support the strikers and get goals from inside the box, which Freeman and Scowen don't really offer - although Luongo has of late.

Still, the point is, as part of an inexperienced defence, I thought he had a great game, he didn't look out of position at all, and showed all his qualities. Be really interesting to see what happens with him next year.

4. FURLONG: I keep saying it, and I still believe it - future QPR captain. I don't know how many games he played as a CB at younger age groups, but he looked very confident there on Saturday. Scowen did a great job of talking to him and Bidwell, but despite being out-matched in terms of height, both of them did really well. Most young centre backs, if they can break into teams at a relatively high level, will come in as full backs, where they're not quite as exposed as they would be at centre back, but with scope later, as happened with Onuoha, to move to centre back. That may be what happens with Furlong. He's not the tallest, but he has a great spring and he's getting stronger physically too. I mean, this was a really tough ask - a hugely inexperienced back five - yet he never looked panicky, or worried, or phased. And when Birmingham finally realised their best option might be to chuck it in the mixer, Olly nipped that one in the bud with a sensible substitution.

5. ONUOHA: It was a brave decision not to start Ned considering the poverty of options in defence, but here, I think, we saw a bit more of the philosophy about developing young players that Chris Ramsey has spoken about. He says that in the U23s and younger they might put players in unfamiliar positions or deliberately pit them against players they know will give them a really hard time, because that helps growth and helps them learn how to deal with extreme challenges on the pitch. It would have been easy to start Ned and Smithies, but instead Olly challenged the whole back 5, plus Scowen in front of them, to deal with the game without two huge characters at the back.

That worked pretty well, but it was clear as Jota began working his magic and Blues went more direct to good effect, that a sub would be wise. It came at the right time, and Ned's presence, speed and power, along with Furlong being a bit of an improvement on Kakay (who did play well) pretty much halted City's progress in its tracks.

It really showed how important he is to this side, actually. The difference was striking. And it also showed how much we will miss him next season and how important it is that, whether we sign one, two or even three centre backs, we have to get this one right. On our budget, that is not going to be easy. People keep damning him with the faint praise of a 'decent Championship defender', but for me that's grossly unfair. Finding someone else with his experience, his speed, his strength and his leadership is a huge ask.

I was really pleased to see him get several ovations though - when he warmed up and then again after the game, when he waved goodbye. I think he's been great for us. In an era of ludicrously high turnover of players at LR, he's been a rare constant. In the end, he stayed here even longer than Clint Hill, but never received the same cult status, or had as much love. I'm not quite sure why. In purely playing terms, over the whole period, he's probably been at least Hill's equal. So maybe it's because Clint was a surprise, but we all expected a lot more from a relatively big money signing from (at the time) another Prem club. And yet, he's rarely let us down. He's been fit for most of his time here, he's a superb ambassador for the club, a great man to have as a captain, a very good player, extremely active in community issues, he's a very clean defender, rarely gets booked, was part of a promotion-winning side and took a pay cut to stay with us before. What's not to love? I'll miss him a lot - and I think the team probably will too. Cheers, Chief.

6. MACKIE: It's not often you know a player is off at the end of the season, and if Ned was never quite a cult hero, Mackie certainly was and is. Never universally loved on messageboards, he's nevertheless always been a favourite with the actual crowd. And the reasons for that are numerous: his never say die attitude, his strength, his tenacity, his teamwork, his willingness to play almost anywhere on the pitch. And the goals. Not just his incredible run when he first joined, but people forget he scored 7 PL goals in his first season - highly respectable for someone who wasn't a regular, and wasn't playing as a striker. But more than that, it's his memorable goals. The Liverpool one will, of course, will forever be his calling card. A game dead and buried until he came on as a sub, he not only helped inspire the comeback through sheer force of will, he completed it with the calmest finish you'll ever see on a tumultuous night under the lights. But there was also the goal at Man City. The equaliser at Derby. There'll be others I've not mentioned, but for any QPR player to have scored three goals of that magnitude is a bit special.

His return to the club may have been as much about heart as it was about head, but I still think it was the right thing to do. It was shameful how Redknapp shoved him out the door (only months after saying he wished he had 11 Jamie Mackies in the side... before then inexplicably dropping him for most of the rest of the season), and it was a symbol of all the crap that was going on, transfer-wise, at the time. He may not have had quite the same impact this time around, but he still scored some vital goals, he still had real impact on games (particularly early this season) and I'm sure he was great to have in the squad. It's a real shame how injuries after that first one at Blackburn have stymied him a bit down the years.

I remember Paul Furlong's last game, and he went clean through late in the game and could've scored but for a great challenge. In the end, I think of that less than what Furs did for the club, and I hope it'll be the same for Mackie. But I was desperate for him to score on Saturday. He had one and a half chances really, the first he was forced a bit wide, but was still unfortunate not to score when his deflected shot just hit Stockdale on the face or chest. You could see even from where I sit that Jamie was almost distraught at his luck there. And then the second was not really a chance at all. Freeman had the ball just outside the box, and Mackie was free, but he delayed the pass and in the end he was a bit wide. Really, at that stage, no one would have blamed Mackie for just shooting even from that angle, but, ever the team-man, he elected to cross (although he had words with Freeman after). I wish one of those had gone in - it would have been the perfect ending to his QPR career.

It was genuinely emotional watching him walk off, tears in his eyes. He's played at a few clubs, but this was clearly the one for him and it was from the second he arrived. That doesn't happen often - the player who signs and just 'fits' - Ainsworth was another, Austin another. For Mackie it all came together at QPR. He'll be much missed. Thanks for the memories, Jamie. Hope Wycombe can find the wages to pick you up on a free. That would seem a great fit.

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 12:47 - Apr 30 with 4276 viewsPinnerPaul

Cheers AH - agree with every word!
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 13:36 - Apr 30 with 4067 viewsPeterHucker

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 12:47 - Apr 30 by PinnerPaul

Cheers AH - agree with every word!

Yep, what he said.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 13:38 - Apr 30 with 4054 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 13:36 - Apr 30 by PeterHucker

Yep, what he said.

i love this feedback ;)
cheers

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 13:43 - Apr 30 with 4034 viewslondonscottish

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 13:38 - Apr 30 by Antti_Heinola

i love this feedback ;)
cheers

Great Knee Jerks and feedback :-)

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 13:51 - Apr 30 with 3997 viewsbosh67

Great article. Yes Gareth and Jamie is a match made in heaven next season if it can be sorted.

Thanks for all the knee jerks over the season. Always excellent.

Just one thought. Manning. I would love to see him deployed as a proper left winger on occasion. He came here as a winger and has never been given the chance to play the position. What impressed me about him at left back is that he never went to ground on a tackle and kept on his feet even when he got beat. When he did get beat he didn't try and pull the player back, he tried to find a way to get the ball back. I lost count of how many times he and Bidwell blocked shots between them on Saturday.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 14:02 - Apr 30 with 3948 viewsrobith

I would also like to point out when the team came out for the lap, Mackie made a beeline to the corner of the Paddocks to give a wheelchair bound fan his shirt, and then hung around for ages having a chat with them and their family, like he had all the time in the world.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 14:29 - Apr 30 with 3868 viewswestberksr

well played Antti; another great season of sensibly put together knee jerks.

actually mentioned to a mate on Saturday as to whether Manning could be the next Clive Wilson type by dropping into left back and just having that little extra bit of composure in defence. He also has a nasty/competitive streak which is needed for the job.

Ned's done a great job and seems to be a great guy. Have always found his distribution to be below where I think it should be given his background but a model pro throughout his time with us, even with the off field comedy going on all the time.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 14:48 - Apr 30 with 3824 viewsvegasranger

Thanks for the reports over the season Antti !! Respect to The Chief and to Jamie. Interesting mention of Austin. Doesn't seem to get the same attention in the press at Southampton as he did at Rangers. Wonder if will finish his career with us?
Login to get fewer ads

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 15:10 - Apr 30 with 3777 viewsPinnerPaul

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 13:38 - Apr 30 by Antti_Heinola

i love this feedback ;)
cheers

You steered clear of the ref - THAT'S the secret!
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 15:10 - Apr 30 with 3775 viewsTHEBUSH

As I can´t get to most games, I love reading yours and Northerns match reports, it´s the detail I like and considered opinions, win, lose or draw.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 15:20 - Apr 30 with 3752 viewsWren67

Excellent report Antti. Chair was my MOM. So much energy and strength. He demanded the ball always made himself available. This team gives me hope that we could really be competitive next year
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 15:25 - Apr 30 with 3735 viewsBrianMcCarthy

As ever, fantastic work Antti.

Thanks for all the effort all season. It's greatly appreciated.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 16:05 - Apr 30 with 3669 viewsnix

Thanks Antti

As with pps I really enjoy your knee jerks. Somehow you manage to put into words what I’m thinking but can’t quite express.

Will miss Mackie and Chief definitely. They’re the kind of players you’d buy if you had done your proper due diligence. As we seem to be doing that much better with our current management/recruitment team I’m hopeful we’ll be able to replace them with younger, cheaper alternatives.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 16:22 - Apr 30 with 3622 viewsBoston

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 16:05 - Apr 30 by nix

Thanks Antti

As with pps I really enjoy your knee jerks. Somehow you manage to put into words what I’m thinking but can’t quite express.

Will miss Mackie and Chief definitely. They’re the kind of players you’d buy if you had done your proper due diligence. As we seem to be doing that much better with our current management/recruitment team I’m hopeful we’ll be able to replace them with younger, cheaper alternatives.

Don’t think they were that expensive though.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 17:15 - Apr 30 with 3539 viewsdublinr

Great read as ever, thanks Antti. Irish sea, two small children and not enough money keep me from hq. This board helps fill the gap - and your kneejerks are one of the best things on it. Much appreciated.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 17:38 - Apr 30 with 3500 viewsNorthernr

Only just clocked we must sit very very close Antti - that fight was bizarre!
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 18:28 - Apr 30 with 3427 viewsterryb

Thasnks Antti,

Amother great knee jerk!

I thought Manning looked a natural at left back & I believe that this is the position that he will spend most of his career at.

Never did I envisage that I would see so many young players in our team this season! I love it!
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 18:38 - Apr 30 with 3394 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 17:38 - Apr 30 by Northernr

Only just clocked we must sit very very close Antti - that fight was bizarre!

Yeah, i think you sit at the end of the row in front of me, but i know you're not a fan of meeting strangers off the board necessarily, so haven't come over!
It was quite close to me, totally bizarre! Someone said it started when one of them said no one should come off for Onuoha or something and the other kicked off about it. But that's hearsay. Most of us around where i was were a bit non-plussed. One of them totally lost it at one stage.

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 22:34 - Apr 30 with 3201 viewsPunteR

Thanks for the Knee jerks Antti. Always a good read.
I have to say though imo Hill was a far better player than Onouha. All about opinions though isnt it. :)

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 23:23 - Apr 30 with 3143 viewsquickpassrotter

Thanks Antti. Yet another good one from you. Much appreciated throughout this and previous seasons.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 00:02 - May 1 with 3105 viewsTacticalR

Thanks for your knee jerks.

1. POWER OF YOUTH: We need to keep that caveat (about Birmingham being poor) in mind, because there are some very competitive, physical teams in this division.

2. CHAIR: We have been desperately short of vision for a long time so it would be great if we have got another player who has the ability to know what he wants to do and be able to do it (I already consider Smyth in that category).

5. ONUOHA: I was always an Onuoha critic, but really haven't had anything to complain about in the last two seasons, as he has done the job, and looked a lot better with Smithies behind him.

6. MACKIE: A player the fans could relate to as the club went off the rails, and by no means just a 'tryer' as some seem to think.

Air hostess clique

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 00:29 - May 1 with 3085 viewsJigsore

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 22:34 - Apr 30 by PunteR

Thanks for the Knee jerks Antti. Always a good read.
I have to say though imo Hill was a far better player than Onouha. All about opinions though isnt it. :)

I think they complimented each other quite well really. Even when he joined us almost 8 years ago Clint was quite slow and always benefited from a faster CB partner next to him.

I remember going to a game at Elland Road at the start of Redknapps season in the Championship when most teams were seemingly too overawed by our wage budget to compete in matches and we won most of them 1-0. Clint Hill scored the winner that day in a game that also ended 1-0 but without several frantic Ned sprints we would surely have conceded. Even now i'm sure he's fast for a CB but that dynamic helped us for a long while and ironically probably banished Ned to a right back position he was never suited to for far too long.

In that game I also seem to remember Leeds chasing the game in the last 5 minutes and Paddy Kenny (on the opposing team) rushing out to practically the halfway line to take a throw in. unfortunately his teammate had practically no options available. Queue porky Paddy dashing desperately back to the goal, perhaps not quite realising how far he'd come up for that throw in. Quite funny.

anyway I tyhink Ned has done himself proud and the fact he's the only man standing from our Premier League days says a lot about him. I hope he does well at whatever northern team he ends up at next wheter it's Wigan or Blackburn or whoever else. Except against us in which case I hope he has a stinker. Thank you big man.

and of course, thank you Antti
[Post edited 1 May 2018 0:32]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 08:07 - May 1 with 2930 viewsstuabd

Thanks Antti for the great articles over the season. Much appreciated.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 08:15 - May 1 with 2923 viewsNorthernr

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 18:38 - Apr 30 by Antti_Heinola

Yeah, i think you sit at the end of the row in front of me, but i know you're not a fan of meeting strangers off the board necessarily, so haven't come over!
It was quite close to me, totally bizarre! Someone said it started when one of them said no one should come off for Onuoha or something and the other kicked off about it. But that's hearsay. Most of us around where i was were a bit non-plussed. One of them totally lost it at one stage.

Come and say hi next season.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 3 Birmingham 1 on 10:24 - May 2 with 2671 viewsqprd

Doesn't quite have the same dynamism as Freeman, but perhaps likes to move the ball quicker and perhaps there are signs that if Luongo or Freeman were to go this summer, Chair could be the one to step into their place next season. We'll see. Long way to go etc etc.

agreed, i think chair has a long way to go before he's even contemplated as a steady replacement in midfield.

i love chair, he's the most interesting prospect to me. but he needs at least another half season of appearances before i would trust him with the responsibility of replacing a mass or freeman... chair was awesome against bcfc, but he's also a new face, so not that heavily scouted. other managers will quickly realise he doesn't use his left foot... he doesn't have the mid- to long-range passing in the locker yet... he may also be bullied against the likes of some of the bruising physical teams like millwall or boro.

i would prefer that we loan chair out at the beginning of next season... even if we lose the likes of freeman and luongo, we still have manning goss cousins eze etc... i think chair needs to work on a few aspects of his game, get a bit stronger and develop the mental toughness to not be bullied despite his size... a loan will also help him develop his skills as a number 10. i don't think a player of his size can be a central midfielder

he can be a special player, but he needs appearances

thanks for the reports antti
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024