Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cupski 2018 Thread 18:04 - May 20 with 101438 viewsLblock

I’ve been pretty non plussed about the Copa Mundial this year which is unusual as I’ve always loved it. Perhaps FIFA have contributed to my overall “fcuk it” view to the modern game, I’ve never felt so remote from a tournament Inger-Lund have been in.
Part of me hopes it lives up to the scam it is with Russia being awarded 317 penalties in the group stages, empty stadiums with Escape To Victory dubbed crowd cheering noises all capped off with a plucky squad of kids winning it so rhino nose becomes Sir Gareth

Current questions for those buzzing about it or who simply know:-

1. Any good Apps for iPhone anyone come across? (Preferably free)

2. Can anyone recommend a Fantasy Competition for the tournament? I’ve been asked to run one at work; think the Sun used to do a simple one; no idea if they are as I haven’t bought a newspaper this decade.

3. Any players people recommend sticking in above / hidden jems????

4. What fixtures do we think are ones to make an effort to watch out of the current group stages? May have to organise work schedule and ensure a regular spot in The Leicester Arms on Warwick Street for any midweek afternoon games

5. What nation picks up the Jules Rimet this year for you? I’m thinking probably Germany but the last time they tried to conquer all the Russia issue didn’t work out well for them

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:48 - Jun 21 with 2600 viewsrunningman75

Luongo on the bench again. Hopefully he is going to be wanting to prove himself next season.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:57 - Jun 21 with 2578 viewsMedwayR

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:48 - Jun 21 by runningman75

Luongo on the bench again. Hopefully he is going to be wanting to prove himself next season.

I find them persisting with Jedinak baffling, he can barely move and it's at the expense of Luongo who is their future & will benefit from the experience.

Poll: Who’s better?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:52 - Jun 21 with 2500 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Looks like SteveC’s correspondence made it through then.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:58 - Jun 21 with 2492 viewsTheChef

Luongo was favoured by the previous coach, seems that Van Marwijk doesn't fancy him.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:59 - Jun 21 with 2490 viewsFDC

Get Mass on ffs.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:03 - Jun 21 with 2381 viewsFredManRave

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 02:05 - Jun 21 by Jigsore

they'd have to be lucky but it could genuinely happen with how close most of these games have been. Portugal are legitimately not good, it's all the more amazing how they won the Euros (and more embarrassing for the French) by the day. I also think what with how all these games are so close together Ronaldo will tire the longer their run goes on if he isn't rested.

the difference between Portugal and Iran and Morocco so far has been the absence of a good striker and that's about it. even a Charlie Austin type (not that Charlie is bad, he just isn't proven at this level) would have finished at least one of their chances and the results could be oh so different.

Really enjoying how the "minnows" are playing so well in this tournament but they're all just lacking a goalscorer. Saudi Arabia were excellent yesterday and Morocco played so well in both games yet they're out. Iran, Senegal and Japan have all been impressive.

Shame Australia couldn't get the win. Hoping that Peru can now get the win against the French. Should be a great game...

And well done VAR, so VAR so good...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:17 - Jun 21 with 2364 viewsjoolsyp

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:03 - Jun 21 by FredManRave

Really enjoying how the "minnows" are playing so well in this tournament but they're all just lacking a goalscorer. Saudi Arabia were excellent yesterday and Morocco played so well in both games yet they're out. Iran, Senegal and Japan have all been impressive.

Shame Australia couldn't get the win. Hoping that Peru can now get the win against the French. Should be a great game...

And well done VAR, so VAR so good...

Love Perú and their fans. Like the look of one or two - their right-back Advincula is one of the quickest players I've seen. Edison Flores (midfielder) is good - currently playing for Aalborg in Denmark.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:55 - Jun 21 with 2325 viewsFredManRave

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:17 - Jun 21 by joolsyp

Love Perú and their fans. Like the look of one or two - their right-back Advincula is one of the quickest players I've seen. Edison Flores (midfielder) is good - currently playing for Aalborg in Denmark.

Apparently they have 15.000 fans their! Peru and Colombia possibly the most colourful and vocal supporters soo far. Iran though few in number certainly made alot of noise giving me South Africa 2000 Vuvuzela flashback nightmares!

Massive game for Argentina today...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 19:38 - Jun 21 with 2251 viewsKonk

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:55 - Jun 21 by FredManRave

Apparently they have 15.000 fans their! Peru and Colombia possibly the most colourful and vocal supporters soo far. Iran though few in number certainly made alot of noise giving me South Africa 2000 Vuvuzela flashback nightmares!

Massive game for Argentina today...

Argentina’s coach definitely owns a restaurant somewhere in zone 4-5. Firm handshakes for regulars, complementary puddings and a Range Rover permanently parked outside on double yellows.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:11 - Jun 21 with 2214 viewsaston_hoop

Oh dear!! Caballero!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:49 - Jun 21 with 2183 views2Thomas2Bowles

Taken to the cleaners
0-3

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:32 - Jun 21 with 2147 viewsLblock

Great second half that -- only thing missing was a red card.
First half weren't bad either

How much did Citeh pay for Otemdeni? Awful... a rich man's Joel Lynch

Gutted zee frogz managed another spawny victory.

Really simmering along nicely this World Cup.
I do however admit to becoming more and more disenfranchised with all this rolling around play acting bollox. Really, really off putting

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:47 - Jun 21 with 2124 viewswillis1980

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:32 - Jun 21 by Lblock

Great second half that -- only thing missing was a red card.
First half weren't bad either

How much did Citeh pay for Otemdeni? Awful... a rich man's Joel Lynch

Gutted zee frogz managed another spawny victory.

Really simmering along nicely this World Cup.
I do however admit to becoming more and more disenfranchised with all this rolling around play acting bollox. Really, really off putting

Some of the acting nonsense does make me feel like I’m watching el Classico reruns. Pepe might win the plonker prize so far
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:58 - Jun 21 with 2112 viewsFDC

Pepe's dive was A-grade twàttery

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:58 - Jun 21 with 2111 viewsJigsore

that was wonderful entertainment. seeing the Argies lose their heads at the end there before getting utterly disrespected with the third goal. they literally stood still with their arms up, what the hell was that? pathetic

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:11 - Jun 21 with 2085 viewsLblock

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:58 - Jun 21 by Jigsore

that was wonderful entertainment. seeing the Argies lose their heads at the end there before getting utterly disrespected with the third goal. they literally stood still with their arms up, what the hell was that? pathetic

And so Messi looks set to bring down the curtain on his International career never having justified his "greatest" tag on the biggest stage of them all.

Shame.
But damn funny!

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:18 - Jun 21 with 2034 viewsRangersw12

This world cup has surely once and for all put to bed the argument between Messi or Ronaldo
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:32 - Jun 21 with 2018 viewsQPRHoop

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:18 - Jun 21 by Rangersw12

This world cup has surely once and for all put to bed the argument between Messi or Ronaldo

Why? You do realise at the last World Cup that Ronaldo (well Portugal) got knocked out in the group stage and Messi (well Argentina) got to the final? One World Cup doesn’t define a career. For the record I prefer Messi but it’s in the same sense I prefer Margot Robbie to Mila Kunis. Both absolutely amazing and a pleasure to be around at the same time so why doesn’t everyone just enjoy both rather than compare them all the time (more about Messi and Ronaldo on that)
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:55 - Jun 21 with 1996 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:32 - Jun 21 by QPRHoop

Why? You do realise at the last World Cup that Ronaldo (well Portugal) got knocked out in the group stage and Messi (well Argentina) got to the final? One World Cup doesn’t define a career. For the record I prefer Messi but it’s in the same sense I prefer Margot Robbie to Mila Kunis. Both absolutely amazing and a pleasure to be around at the same time so why doesn’t everyone just enjoy both rather than compare them all the time (more about Messi and Ronaldo on that)

Exactly this.

We’re so lucky to live in an era inhabited by both these players. What a privilege.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:57 - Jun 21 with 1994 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I think this board might be a little bit quiet while we all digest the thought of Mila Kunis and Margot Robbie "at the same time"!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 00:15 - Jun 22 with 1976 viewsBenny_the_Ball

You do realise that Ronaldo won Euro 2016 with a bang average Portugal team whilst Messi has failed to win a major tournaments with Argentina. That said, I agree we should enjoy both and will miss them when they retire.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 00:41 - Jun 22 with 1952 viewsQPRHoop

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 00:15 - Jun 22 by Benny_the_Ball

You do realise that Ronaldo won Euro 2016 with a bang average Portugal team whilst Messi has failed to win a major tournaments with Argentina. That said, I agree we should enjoy both and will miss them when they retire.

You do realise their route to the final was Iceland, Hungary and Austria in the group stages (they drew all of them) then Croatia, Poland on pens and Wales. And they beat France in the final basically without him so bad as much influence as you and I. Messi has got to 3 finals which included a World Cup final which so far Ronaldo hasn’t done

Again though to reiterate I enjoy watching both players and just get annoyed by the constant one upmanship by each players fanboys.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:26 - Jun 22 with 1824 viewstraininvain

Exactly. Don’t understand the apparent need to make such a snap judgment on two brilliant footballers. I doubt either will win the World Cup but it doesn’t detract from their greatness. They should be judged on their overall careers not a one off tournament.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:52 - Jun 22 with 1819 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:17 - Jun 21 by joolsyp

Carillo and Advincula combining on the right, lovely stuff.

Real shame Peru are on their way home already. Great fans, played some great attacking football, just couldn't score a blooming goal! Such a shame they missed that penalty against Denmark, I think they could have really kicked on if they'd scored it.

France should be so much better than they are, I think Deschamps is holding them back.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:54 - Jun 22 with 1815 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:55 - Jun 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Exactly this.

We’re so lucky to live in an era inhabited by both these players. What a privilege.

Agreed - in this world where everything has to be black or white, let's just enjoy both and be grateful.

(Although I still think Ronaldo is a bit of a nob - but you have to admire him in terms of his football!)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024