Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Messageboard Theory 10:08 - Nov 30 with 14640 viewsAntti_Heinola

As we're all quite happy (at least until the meltdown after tomorrow's inevitable 1-0 defeat), I've been developing a theory about this MB.

Is it me, or is it a much nicer, friendlier place to be than it was a few years ago? There are discussions, but nasty ones are now few and far between (not eradicated completely). Even me and paulparker agree on about 90% of stuff these days.

Why is it? I'm thinking it could be age. We're all getting older and the young blood isn't coming through. The young firebrands and tyros spill their utter nonsense on social media instead. I think that's good. We may be getting older here, but it's a haven of relative sanity.

But does that mean LFW will one day wither, like an old Rotary Club?

Bare bones.

Messageboard Theory on 01:57 - Dec 1 with 1528 viewsJAPRANGERS

I luv this site. Living a zillion miles from HQ and unable to attend but a mere handful of games every season, I really appreciate the brilliance of LFW with superb articles from Clive and the great posters on here.

Messageboard Theory on 02:55 - Dec 1 with 1520 viewstimcocking

Let's hope you're right Antti. I've always felt you should only post something that you would be prepared to say to the person's face. Nowadays, i try to remove any part where i've insulted somebody. I try not to reply when somebody insults me either.

I always find so often people take offence where it isn't meant. When you're typing, things can come out wrong. There's no tone or emphasis etc. I've made flippant comments or jokes which have been taken as attacks when i've just been taking the p!ss really. A throwaway comment can look bad when it wasn't meant to be. Or, Heaven forbid, drunk posts. They can be a disaster. I try and stay clear if i've had a few. People are quick to cast aspersions when they've never even met the person in question.

I can say that i'd be very pleased to meet anybody on this message board and share a cleansing ale. Given the fact i've never really known a QPR fan in real life, you lot are all i've got when it comes to football, so it'd be a shame if we all hated each other and i'd consider each of you a sort of friend, even when you're p!ssing me off or getting things wrong :-)
Messageboard Theory on 07:39 - Dec 1 with 1486 viewsessextaxiboy

About 6 months ago there was a thread where I posted that I thought discussion about politics and religion should be banned in a team setting . Lots disagreed but I realised then that I was one of the worst offenders ,so I stopped . I have found the board to be a happier place to visit for me since then .Threads on these subjects seem to be reducing anyway .Enjoying being proved wrong by Mclaren and reading positive comments ...
Messageboard Theory on 08:19 - Dec 1 with 1464 viewsdistortR

Messageboard Theory on 11:15 - Nov 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’m not falling for that again!

ermm, you may wish to clarify that...............
Messageboard Theory on 08:28 - Dec 1 with 1450 viewsEsox_Lucius

Messageboard Theory on 02:55 - Dec 1 by timcocking

Let's hope you're right Antti. I've always felt you should only post something that you would be prepared to say to the person's face. Nowadays, i try to remove any part where i've insulted somebody. I try not to reply when somebody insults me either.

I always find so often people take offence where it isn't meant. When you're typing, things can come out wrong. There's no tone or emphasis etc. I've made flippant comments or jokes which have been taken as attacks when i've just been taking the p!ss really. A throwaway comment can look bad when it wasn't meant to be. Or, Heaven forbid, drunk posts. They can be a disaster. I try and stay clear if i've had a few. People are quick to cast aspersions when they've never even met the person in question.

I can say that i'd be very pleased to meet anybody on this message board and share a cleansing ale. Given the fact i've never really known a QPR fan in real life, you lot are all i've got when it comes to football, so it'd be a shame if we all hated each other and i'd consider each of you a sort of friend, even when you're p!ssing me off or getting things wrong :-)

"Given the fact I've never really known a QPR fan in real life..."
Without wishing to appear patronising, I found this a sad thing. There are around 35-40 people I meet only at QPR games who I would consider close enough to be considered proper friends, especially the 10 or so who saw me through some rough times when my daughter in law died just before Christmas 2 years ago. The amount of people I actually know and speak to at games is probably over 150, some of those going back to the 70's, and every one of those is purely through QPR.
This maybe why I am Marmite to some people over my reactions to people digging out the club and some players, QPR is more than the results during a season, it is my extended family.
The thing about meeting up rang very true to me as I have had some right old ding dongs with a few posters but, in the case of one person, I have driven to their house and went to the pub and the play off final with them. Another time a poster on dot.org who I constantly battled with, over anything and everything it seemed, posted that he might not make a game as the trains weren't running so I offered to pick him up on the way down the M40.
Just because we were diametrically opposed on our opinions, it was still a time to help a fellow QPR supporter out. On the opposite side of the coin, my car broke down the Friday before a game and a fan on the FB group offered to pick me up on the way to the game and drop me off back in Banbury afterwards... he lived in Essex!!! THAT is what being part of the QPR family is all about IMO.

The grass is always greener.

Messageboard Theory on 09:34 - Dec 1 with 1403 viewsDiscodroids

Messageboard Theory on 07:39 - Dec 1 by essextaxiboy

About 6 months ago there was a thread where I posted that I thought discussion about politics and religion should be banned in a team setting . Lots disagreed but I realised then that I was one of the worst offenders ,so I stopped . I have found the board to be a happier place to visit for me since then .Threads on these subjects seem to be reducing anyway .Enjoying being proved wrong by Mclaren and reading positive comments ...

Unless i've fallen into a non-physical form of proto-consciousness and i'm now swirling within the maelstrom of unknown reality, then politics is the major cause of people falling out on here

I'm with Essex Taxi here, Outside of a Trevor sinclair thread, i cant think of a political thread i've commented on in the last 2 years and as a result, it feels like purging myself in a fountain of Aqua and freshly cut flowers. I love using the forum now, sparingly and with good intent thus thoroughly enjoying the football and Music discussions.

There's Nothing more Tiresome than people booming away on here, (of either political divide), like an old testament god full of pious smote from their oort cloud of unsolicited self righteous holier than thou political credo. Who f uckin cares what anyone has to say about their political doctrines on a match day when QPR are playing?. The caked Dr white jam wrag whicH lay undiscovered in the mongrel dog shitted gutter holds more interest and Gravitas for me . Life's too short for that carcinogenic caper on a football forum. there's plenty of other portals to vent your dojo politique wrath on the internet.

I can only think of Steve c , Sharpy and Loftboy who occasionally post a counter narrative to the LFW political threads. With no participation from myself, you Essex, and i'd include Mr sheen as well , then there is no oxygen for argument and the petty rucks which ensue, and thus the caravan of love is what we have now.

[Post edited 1 Dec 2018 9:54]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Messageboard Theory on 09:47 - Dec 1 with 1387 viewsHunterhoop

Messageboard Theory on 00:27 - Dec 1 by CiderwithRsie

And it starts with small things. Proper badge, proper hoops, community work, "Forever Rs" and the games for Stan and Grenfell - they might look like add-ons to the big stuff but they change how we feel about the club, and they were do-able when other stuff wasn't.

Then you sort out the finances, and it hurts but not as much as not sorting the finances.

As someone who thought it was right to lose Holloway in the summer I've got to say that he played a big part too, he was someone we could get behind and he bought time.

All true, Cider.
Messageboard Theory on 10:23 - Dec 1 with 1364 viewsDorse

Messageboard Theory on 11:05 - Nov 30 by Mick_S

"I don't think it is just an age thing" (I am only 9).

What do you want for Christmas this year?
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 11:06]

If you were to push me, I'd have to say Stacey Dooley in a leather cat-suit. If not, then a new spud-gun please.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Login to get fewer ads

Messageboard Theory on 10:56 - Dec 1 with 1346 viewsWren67

Messageboard Theory on 20:12 - Nov 30 by enfieldargh

Well to get you in the mood I'm wearing a very revealing bikini and rubbing factor 10 onto my taught(torte) and very flat tummy, my lips are pouting and the ocean breeze is flowing through my long blonde hair.

And you all thought I was a fella.

Favourite cheese mascapone dripping down my cheeks.

pass the scooby snax

I'd only be interested if the bikini is blue and white hoops
Messageboard Theory on 11:31 - Dec 1 with 1313 viewslondonscottish

Messageboard Theory on 09:34 - Dec 1 by Discodroids

Unless i've fallen into a non-physical form of proto-consciousness and i'm now swirling within the maelstrom of unknown reality, then politics is the major cause of people falling out on here

I'm with Essex Taxi here, Outside of a Trevor sinclair thread, i cant think of a political thread i've commented on in the last 2 years and as a result, it feels like purging myself in a fountain of Aqua and freshly cut flowers. I love using the forum now, sparingly and with good intent thus thoroughly enjoying the football and Music discussions.

There's Nothing more Tiresome than people booming away on here, (of either political divide), like an old testament god full of pious smote from their oort cloud of unsolicited self righteous holier than thou political credo. Who f uckin cares what anyone has to say about their political doctrines on a match day when QPR are playing?. The caked Dr white jam wrag whicH lay undiscovered in the mongrel dog shitted gutter holds more interest and Gravitas for me . Life's too short for that carcinogenic caper on a football forum. there's plenty of other portals to vent your dojo politique wrath on the internet.

I can only think of Steve c , Sharpy and Loftboy who occasionally post a counter narrative to the LFW political threads. With no participation from myself, you Essex, and i'd include Mr sheen as well , then there is no oxygen for argument and the petty rucks which ensue, and thus the caravan of love is what we have now.

[Post edited 1 Dec 2018 9:54]

Music. Football. Caravan of love.

LOL. I love this site :-)

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Messageboard Theory on 11:33 - Dec 1 with 1306 viewsDiscodroids

Messageboard Theory on 11:31 - Dec 1 by londonscottish

Music. Football. Caravan of love.

LOL. I love this site :-)

What an foul aberration that Housemartins version was mate. ;-)

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Messageboard Theory on 12:49 - Dec 1 with 1280 viewslondonscottish

Messageboard Theory on 11:33 - Dec 1 by Discodroids

What an foul aberration that Housemartins version was mate. ;-)

Turned off the Spotify Lorenzo al Dino playlist and switched over to Isley Jasper Isley.

LS Towers is luvved up.

Messageboard Theory on 18:45 - Dec 1 with 1185 viewsLongsufferingR

Right, you can all fk right off you fking bunch of fking cnts.
Messageboard Theory on 19:05 - Dec 1 with 1162 viewsBoston

Messageboard Theory on 18:31 - Nov 30 by colinallcars

I'm a relative newcomer, I used to post on .org but you can go all day without anyone posting anything.
This site is excellent and lively.

Aha....and just who were you on .org? There were so few of us we could be related.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Messageboard Theory on 19:13 - Dec 1 with 1154 viewsBoston

As for the sudden uptick in reasonable discourse, that started with isawthewhitecityrebelsatwhitecity. He let it slip that you could quite easily discover who had voted your post up or down. Never forgiven the chunt.

Messageboard Theory on 19:14 - Dec 1 with 1160 viewslondonscottish

It's 7.00pm and I'm now onto the Isley Brothers proper.

Messageboard Theory on 19:15 - Dec 1 with 1150 viewsBoston

Messageboard Theory on 19:14 - Dec 1 by londonscottish

It's 7.00pm and I'm now onto the Isley Brothers proper.

Y’ep two Isley tracks, cup of cocoa and off to bed.

Messageboard Theory on 19:18 - Dec 1 with 1151 viewscolinallcars

Messageboard Theory on 19:05 - Dec 1 by Boston

Aha....and just who were you on .org? There were so few of us we could be related.

I retain my cloak of anonimity !
Messageboard Theory on 20:46 - Dec 1 with 1110 viewsisawqpratwcity

Messageboard Theory on 19:13 - Dec 1 by Boston

As for the sudden uptick in reasonable discourse, that started with isawthewhitecityrebelsatwhitecity. He let it slip that you could quite easily discover who had voted your post up or down. Never forgiven the chunt.

Who are you calling a chunt, chunt?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Messageboard Theory on 21:15 - Dec 1 with 1089 viewsFDC

Messageboard Theory on 07:39 - Dec 1 by essextaxiboy

"I thought discussion about politics and religion should be banned....I realised then that I was one of the worst offenders ,so I stopped . I have found the board to be a happier place to visit for me since then .Threads on these subjects seem to be reducing"

Messageboard Theory on 21:19 - Dec 1 with 1082 viewsFDC

Messageboard Theory on 16:33 - Nov 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

For what it’s worth, you have never seen any anti Brexit sentiment from me.

Relatedly (but off thread topic, apologies), I saw Costas Lapavitsas, previously of Syriza, talk recently: if anyone is looking for the left case for Brexit, he's your guy.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2018 21:20]
Messageboard Theory on 23:11 - Dec 1 with 1014 viewsCiderwithRsie

Messageboard Theory on 21:19 - Dec 1 by FDC

Relatedly (but off thread topic, apologies), I saw Costas Lapavitsas, previously of Syriza, talk recently: if anyone is looking for the left case for Brexit, he's your guy.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2018 21:20]

Unless he's a free agent we don't want him, I don't care who his previous club were.

Think we're OK on the left anyway, unless he can fill in at centre half.
Messageboard Theory on 02:14 - Dec 2 with 957 viewsBoston

Messageboard Theory on 23:11 - Dec 1 by CiderwithRsie

Unless he's a free agent we don't want him, I don't care who his previous club were.

Think we're OK on the left anyway, unless he can fill in at centre half.

....decent coffee though.

Messageboard Theory on 10:28 - Dec 2 with 899 viewstimcocking

Messageboard Theory on 08:28 - Dec 1 by Esox_Lucius

"Given the fact I've never really known a QPR fan in real life..."
Without wishing to appear patronising, I found this a sad thing. There are around 35-40 people I meet only at QPR games who I would consider close enough to be considered proper friends, especially the 10 or so who saw me through some rough times when my daughter in law died just before Christmas 2 years ago. The amount of people I actually know and speak to at games is probably over 150, some of those going back to the 70's, and every one of those is purely through QPR.
This maybe why I am Marmite to some people over my reactions to people digging out the club and some players, QPR is more than the results during a season, it is my extended family.
The thing about meeting up rang very true to me as I have had some right old ding dongs with a few posters but, in the case of one person, I have driven to their house and went to the pub and the play off final with them. Another time a poster on dot.org who I constantly battled with, over anything and everything it seemed, posted that he might not make a game as the trains weren't running so I offered to pick him up on the way down the M40.
Just because we were diametrically opposed on our opinions, it was still a time to help a fellow QPR supporter out. On the opposite side of the coin, my car broke down the Friday before a game and a fan on the FB group offered to pick me up on the way to the game and drop me off back in Banbury afterwards... he lived in Essex!!! THAT is what being part of the QPR family is all about IMO.

Not patronising, i find it a sad thing too.

Which is why i'd be only to happy to bump into any QPR fan anywhere.

My theory is that even supporting a team such as QPR suggests a higher level of integrity than your average Joe.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2018 10:31]
Messageboard Theory on 16:07 - Dec 2 with 813 viewsBoston

Messageboard Theory on 19:18 - Dec 1 by colinallcars

I retain my cloak of anonimity !

West Greenwich or East Deptford?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024