Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland ‘till I die. 19:16 - Dec 27 with 11832 viewsSnipper

Just started watching this on Netflix. The first episode they’re talking about getting back to the Premier League at the first attempt. They got thrashed by Celtic in a friendly at home a week before the season. Their fans were already turning on them.

Just about to watch the second episode of 8. Great viewing.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 22:00 - Dec 27 with 5921 viewsozexile

Excellent viewing. Wait till Rodwell rears his head. Lucky for him the show wasn't out before he'd signed a contract with Blackburn.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 23:20 - Dec 27 with 5814 viewsJigsore

I very much enjoyed it. It's actually really funny and sad - pretty much every episode is building up to some sort of redemption arc, especially when Chris Coleman comes in (and to be fair he does seem like a nice fella), and every episode it just gets worse and worse. Top scorer Grabban fécks off and shushes the fans after scoring against them, Coleman's reign deteriorates into the same sh*t as before, Gibson is sacked for drink driving (class foreshadowing in the first episode when he's pissed after the Celtic [?] defeat), the owner is MIA and not interested in the club so they have to farm out better players like Ndong on loan to try get in Chris Martin and end up getting Lualua and Lee Camp. Every little thing is a disaster.

Makes the 4 year plan look like a Ben Stiller film. Plenty of laughs but not much real peril beyond the beginning.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 23:22]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 02:04 - Dec 28 with 5684 viewstimcocking

Watched it a couple of days ago.

Was laughing my head off, misery loves company and all that. Then later on, they started showing that absolute c@nt Jack Rodwell and showing how he was pretty much individually destroying the whole club. What a real evil piece of work a man must be to behave in such a selfish fashion to the detriment of so many. Anybody who considers that normal behaviour and his basic right is clearly cut from a different cloth to me. I think he should be put down. How it's legal to make it absolutely clear you won't play whatever happens and you won't leave...the employment laws in Britain are an absolute fcuking joke. What a truly loathsome individual.

It all resonated far too much, reminded me of the Bosingwas and all of the rest we had to endure and are still paying for. Put me in a fcuking angry mood.

What i found most interesting, Chris Coleman coming in and seeming so marvellous and everybody loving him. But Aiden McGeady was absolutely scathing, saying he'd never even played in a 4-3-3 and didn't know where he was supposed to be when they didn't have the ball. And he blamed Coleman for releasing their goal scorer because he was lazy. Grabbing does score, though, and without him they were screwed. It reminds people there are usually two sides.

Didn't look great the idiot at the end hurling insults and trying to pick a fight with Chris Coleman. The only problem with documentaries like that, they'll always include the drunken morons making everybody look bad.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 10:34 - Dec 28 with 5446 viewssimmo

We could have gone exactly the same way, but while they had McBain or whatever his name is, we had Ferdinand overseeing things and managed to get most of the shithouses out to sort the dressing room quick enough to stabilise.

You can't really blame the chairman who had already pumped money into stupid people, it's more that they had a disgusting wage bill and players that were earning bucket loads but refusing to turn up - Rodwell is highlighted cos he was there but they have others that just didn't bother. He said if you want money, make it out of what we're already spending and that Scottish bloke couldn't do it.

Coleman came across well I thought but he's not the amazing manager his Bale-led Walesresults makes him out to be, he went from a great group to a dis-jointed load of shits and he didn't know how to sort it. I hope he gets a decent job somewhere though and we'll see what he's really made of.

Really enjoyed the doc overall, it's a bit over-dramatic, starting with that fckin song in the opening credits but the people are genuine and you can see what it means to them. Although you knew the worst was coming it was good to see it end with some glimmer of optimism and they're having a lovely old time in League 1 now so it might have been the best thing for them in the long run.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 11:25 - Dec 28 with 5389 viewsBklynRanger

I started watching it over Xmas. I find it very amusing as a polished exposition of a complete car crash - you've got:

- The proud, working class Mackems, most of them spoilt by their years in 'The Prem' and unable to get their heads round why they're shit.

- A squad made up mostly of a mixture of older rejects and spoilt young fcukers

- Spoilt bastard big name managers trotting out the same doggedly determined nonsense, opening their veins for the working class supporters only to fall flat on their face.

I want to look away but I can't.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 11:27 - Dec 28 with 5381 viewsNorthernr

Two episodes in. It's made me love Ferdinand and Hoos a little bit more than I already did.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 11:48 - Dec 28 with 5349 viewsloftboy

I’m two episodes in as well, Grayson really comes across as useless.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 11:51 - Dec 28 with 5336 viewsSnipper

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 11:48 - Dec 28 by loftboy

The missus and myself watched five episodes last night. We’re going to watch the remaining three episodes later. It’s great viewing.

It really does make you appreciate Les Ferdinand and Lee Hoos.
Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 11:59 - Dec 28 with 5325 viewsBklynRanger

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 11:48 - Dec 28 by loftboy

The one glaring criticism of it I've got is lack of access to dressing room tactics, conversation etc - Coleman is possibly a bit more open but Grayson obviously didn't want any part of it. What football needs is a modern day Sitton moment goddamnit!
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 12:37 - Dec 28 with 5249 viewspaulparker

Bain comes across as the sort of bloke that everyone hates in the office the sort of fella who never stop letching over any half decent woman “just call me Marti “ you know that sort
The meeting with the scouts was toe curling no one had a clue what they were on about

Grayson, blimey the bloke is clueless makes you wonder how Preston did so well that team talk he did with the whiteboard was dying on its Rrsss

Coleman, the new David Brent a very shifty man I can’t put my finger on it with him

Kit symons , jeez how did he get a job in football ?? He sounds and comes across like the bloke who sits in the local pub scrounging a beer off everyone and telling crap jokes not a number 2 of a championship club, he isn’t fit to cut the oranges

Johnny Williams is as fragile as an egg

Honeyman comes across like crouch did when we were relegated in 2001 ie the only one who gives a Sh1t

The show would have been great if they had access to the dressing room it would have shown players, managers etc in their true colours
It’s a shame they skipped over the Rodwell stuff as he is a really poisonous little weasel

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 12:42 - Dec 28 with 5240 viewsozexile

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 12:37 - Dec 28 by paulparker

Bain comes across as the sort of bloke that everyone hates in the office the sort of fella who never stop letching over any half decent woman “just call me Marti “ you know that sort
The meeting with the scouts was toe curling no one had a clue what they were on about

Grayson, blimey the bloke is clueless makes you wonder how Preston did so well that team talk he did with the whiteboard was dying on its Rrsss

Coleman, the new David Brent a very shifty man I can’t put my finger on it with him

Kit symons , jeez how did he get a job in football ?? He sounds and comes across like the bloke who sits in the local pub scrounging a beer off everyone and telling crap jokes not a number 2 of a championship club, he isn’t fit to cut the oranges

Honeyman comes across like crouch did when we were relegated in 2001 ie the only one who gives a Sh1t

The show would have been great if they had access to the dressing room it would have shown players, managers etc in their true colours
It’s a shame they skipped over the Rodwell stuff as he is a really poisonous little weasel

From what I saw Coleman is perfect for International management. The players only see him for 3 days every 3 months and give their all. If you have to listen to him every day the cracks start appearing.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 13:18 - Dec 28 with 5198 viewsNorthernr

Yeh the meeting with the scouts was incredible. The whole scouting department seemed to be operating completely independently, with no idea of what the budget was for either transfer fees or potential wages, nor really what the manager was after, so they just sort of guessed and then when push came to shove they just went out and tried to sign Ross McCormick instead.

Marc Wilson laid on the bed wincing as they moved his leg up and down, saying not very convincingly that his knee only hurt when he had to kick the ball. Signed him anyway. Johnny Williams, physio standing there reporting back to the CEO, reeling off page after page after page of injuries including an exploded groin muscle (who knew it could do that) and they signed him anyway as well.

I'm sure QPR has been like this in the recent past but, like I say, so grateful to Hoos and Ferdinand for how the place functions now. About to sit down to episode three.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 14:34 - Dec 28 with 5075 viewsHayesender

Put on the first episode when I got in from work yesterday. Ended up watching the whole lot before eventually retiring to bed.

How any club would touch Rodwell with a barge pole is behind me. Horrible little cnt.

Also Grabham comes across as a complete and utter arse as well

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 15:23 - Dec 28 with 5026 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm on the second episode and Jim White is annoying me talking $hite about transfers. That lad does my head in.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 15:47 - Dec 28 with 4976 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"Bain comes across as the sort of bloke that everyone hates in the office the sort of fella who never stop letching over any half decent woman “just call me Marti “ you know that sort"

Christ, he's fond of himself, isn't he?! Smarmy management-speak weak-ass cretin.

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 15:56 - Dec 28 with 4948 viewsNorthernr

Piled through a few eps this afternoon. It is annoying me how they intersperse clips of the manager on the touchline that don't fit with the match that's being played. For instance they do a huge bit on them blowing a 3-1 lead at Brentford, but the clips of Grayson going through it on the touchline is clearly filmed at Hull. A little thing, but a thing that will grate on football supporters, and shouldn't really be happening given the budgets Netflix provide filmmakers.

I am enjoying it though. Jack Rodwell eh? What a chap.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 16:06 - Dec 28 with 4921 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 15:56 - Dec 28 by Northernr

Piled through a few eps this afternoon. It is annoying me how they intersperse clips of the manager on the touchline that don't fit with the match that's being played. For instance they do a huge bit on them blowing a 3-1 lead at Brentford, but the clips of Grayson going through it on the touchline is clearly filmed at Hull. A little thing, but a thing that will grate on football supporters, and shouldn't really be happening given the budgets Netflix provide filmmakers.

I am enjoying it though. Jack Rodwell eh? What a chap.

The subtitles are also hilariously bad, clearly done by an American with no knowledge of football - the supporters' songs are misquoted, Sunderland play Redding at one stage and Ross McCormack scores a goal for Villa "in front of the whole ten". The last had me screaming with laughter.

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 17:10 - Dec 28 with 4804 viewsloftboy

Done 6 episodes today, going to watch the last two tonight.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 19:36 - Dec 28 with 4624 viewsbullythebear

The producers are big Sunderland fans
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 20:22 - Dec 28 with 4568 viewsdezzar

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 16:06 - Dec 28 by BrianMcCarthy

The subtitles are also hilariously bad, clearly done by an American with no knowledge of football - the supporters' songs are misquoted, Sunderland play Redding at one stage and Ross McCormack scores a goal for Villa "in front of the whole ten". The last had me screaming with laughter.

Im sure there is a clip of the game they played after us and the the soundtrack is playing pigbag,hoops. still enjoyed it though
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 22:24 - Dec 28 with 4435 viewsLblock

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 19:36 - Dec 28 by bullythebear

The producers are big Sunderland fans

Mel Brooks?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 22:48 - Dec 28 with 4422 viewsBklynRanger

Ach I felt quite bad for them all in the end - the staff and supporters anyway.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 06:44 - Dec 29 with 4222 viewsbarbicanranger

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 11:27 - Dec 28 by Northernr

Two episodes in. It's made me love Ferdinand and Hoos a little bit more than I already did.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, as I watched the first two episodes and got a better feel for their CEO, I felt incredibly grateful that he wasn't ours and we actually have two people on the football side who have their heads screwed on. It shows you how easy it is for players to run a mock and enforces the idea of only signing good types.

Like Gibson for instance, I assumed United and Everton pedigree he'd be a good sort but he behaves like a complete bell end.
Sunderland ‘till I die. on 10:04 - Dec 29 with 4107 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 22:48 - Dec 28 by BklynRanger

Ach I felt quite bad for them all in the end - the staff and supporters anyway.

Ya, me too.

Really recommend this.

SPOILER ALERT.

Finished it all last night and, whereas at the beginning I thought the priest praying for Sunderland was unrealistic and staged by the end the feeling was of a town that really loved its club, and (however wrong or right) thought it was a huge club that deserved to be in the top flight and was pained that it wasn't.

Whereas Bain annoyed me immensely at the beginning and I was almost enjoying his struggles by the end I felt for him - he looked terrible, beaten and dishevelled.

I felt for the cook, the doorman and the 91.5 yr old.

And I really felt for Honeyman and even John O'Shea who I always thought of as someone who coasted through his career but who clearly was highly thought of and who seemed to be a good captain.

Mostly, though, I was thankful for Ferdinand and Hoos because with Fernandes at the helm and FFP rattling us we could easily have gone the same way. And we've already had a film made about us.

Sunderland ‘till I die. on 10:34 - Dec 29 with 4075 viewsdavman

So what is the popular opinion on why and how they have turned it around this season, is it simply that League One is so much worse than the Championship?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024