Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Food when you were a youngster. 14:33 - Jan 14 with 24977 viewsMick_S

This was the absolute king of foods when I were a lad.

Wednesday afternoon around 5 o clock. Fred Dineage teaching kids to play cards in the quiz show Gambit - Steaklets, chips and peas on the plate.

Food heaven.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Food when you were a youngster. on 21:43 - Jan 14 with 2179 viewsEsox_Lucius

Fried egg, home made chips and baked beans. I also used to love dish of mashed potatoes, garden peas and a couple of fried eggs all smushed together so you got all the flavours at the same time. I stopped eating meat when I was about 3 or 4 so I am guessing that there wasn't any appeal in it.

The grass is always greener.

Food when you were a youngster. on 21:45 - Jan 14 with 2176 viewsloftboy

Peanut yorkies, can’t bekieve they stopped making them.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Food when you were a youngster. on 21:55 - Jan 14 with 2156 viewscolinallcars

I was very keen on the Nux bar which was very filling which suited me as I was always hungry. Don't know when the stopped making them.
Food when you were a youngster. on 22:05 - Jan 14 with 2149 viewsted_hendrix

I recall a bag of sweets you could get depending on pocket money allowance called Jamboree bags also unless I've missed something on this thread there was also sherbet dabs with a bit of liquorice sticking out of the yellow tube.

On the subject of pocket money to earn mine I had to fill up and adjust the poxy wicks on our bloody paraffin heaters of which we had three and they were the only form of heating we had, the paraffin was delivered weekly by a lorry with a bowser on the back 'Esso Blue' I think from memory there was pink or blue paraffin back then, those heaters were bloody dangerous.

On the subject of school gravy, my blazer cuffs always seemed to go rock hard after a week or so where the cuffs used to dangle in the gravy due to my disgusting table manners in the school canteen, my old Mum used to berate me constantly.

School puddings were shyte apart from the sponge with jam on top sprinkled with coconut flakes, school custard was an epic fail though, skin on custard is disgusting beyond belief.

My old Dad used to eat tripe straight out of the pan FFS.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Food when you were a youngster. on 22:09 - Jan 14 with 2142 viewsMoonshineSteve

Food when you were a youngster. on 20:16 - Jan 14 by Snipper

Great thread this.

There were some great sweets and drinks around when we were kids, that are sadly no more.

Cresta, advertised by a polar bear wearing sunglasses 🕶

Bar Six chocolate bar

Football Crazy bacon flavoured crisps (little footballs)

Banjo

Soda Stream

Heart ice lolly

Loads more.............
[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 1:32]

Do you mean Cresta?

It's frothy man.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Food when you were a youngster. on 22:09 - Jan 14 with 2142 viewsflynnbo

Walnut whips, Toffee Cup, Curly Wurly and flying saucers, jamboree bags, ice poles. can of tab with no ring pull and jubblies.
Food when you were a youngster. on 22:14 - Jan 14 with 2136 viewsSharpy36

Food when you were a youngster. on 19:58 - Jan 14 by dezzar

Loved rissoles also Vesta chow mein , you could cook your noodles flat or fry in the chip pan so they is crispy

A favorite of mine also, the vesta that is. To my surprise you can still buy them.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Food when you were a youngster. on 22:54 - Jan 14 with 2092 viewsCiderwithRsie

Food when you were a youngster. on 22:05 - Jan 14 by ted_hendrix

I recall a bag of sweets you could get depending on pocket money allowance called Jamboree bags also unless I've missed something on this thread there was also sherbet dabs with a bit of liquorice sticking out of the yellow tube.

On the subject of pocket money to earn mine I had to fill up and adjust the poxy wicks on our bloody paraffin heaters of which we had three and they were the only form of heating we had, the paraffin was delivered weekly by a lorry with a bowser on the back 'Esso Blue' I think from memory there was pink or blue paraffin back then, those heaters were bloody dangerous.

On the subject of school gravy, my blazer cuffs always seemed to go rock hard after a week or so where the cuffs used to dangle in the gravy due to my disgusting table manners in the school canteen, my old Mum used to berate me constantly.

School puddings were shyte apart from the sponge with jam on top sprinkled with coconut flakes, school custard was an epic fail though, skin on custard is disgusting beyond belief.

My old Dad used to eat tripe straight out of the pan FFS.

For some reason the Esso Blue ad music always sounded exactly the same to me as Opal Fruits, ending up in a single jingle that went:

" Dum dum dum dum - Esso Blue: made to make your mouth water"

There was definitely pink paraffin too.
Login to get fewer ads

Food when you were a youngster. on 22:54 - Jan 14 with 2092 viewsGloryHunter

Food when you were a youngster. on 21:10 - Jan 14 by colinallcars

My favourite sweets were milk bottles and aniseed candy. Proper sweet shops are rare now. The last one I can remember in my part of the world was in Teddington.

Milk Bottles - blimey, I'd forgotten about them. Thery were my favourite too, for a period of my childhood. For younger readers, they were a small milk-bottle-shaped sweetie, kind of white-chocalaty but also chewy ?
Food when you were a youngster. on 23:01 - Jan 14 with 2084 viewsCiderwithRsie

Food when you were a youngster. on 21:45 - Jan 14 by loftboy

Peanut yorkies, can’t bekieve they stopped making them.

They've done what??????

Don't buy a lot of chocolate now for fear of being fat bastard, but the peanut Yorkie was a bloody meal. Was thinking of getting a few in, in case of Apocalypse/Brexit going tits up/us winning in the 4th round and Judgement Day setting in with unusual severity.

Suppose I'll have to make do with booze now.
Food when you were a youngster. on 23:07 - Jan 14 with 2073 viewsBoston

All of the above....well most of it.

I had and have a bit of a thing for cream crackers. Preferably Sainsbury's though I discovered a year or so ago that Bolands were available in an import store a couple of miles from my house, so they're my go to snack, with butter or strawberry jam. Whole packet, about ten mins with a big cup of tea.

PS....Not Jacobs, they're sorta burned a bit.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Food when you were a youngster. on 23:09 - Jan 14 with 2065 viewsBoston

...and peanuts, out of the dispensers in the sweet shops.

Food when you were a youngster. on 23:16 - Jan 14 with 2067 viewsDannyPaddox

Food when you were a youngster. on 23:53 - Jan 14 with 2041 viewsTacticalR

@ted_hendrix 'Now and again I used to take my old Dad's beer bottles back to the pub, you wasn't allowed in the pub them days as a kid so you had to wait outside after knocking on the door'

You see this in Melody (1971). Not only a great film, but also a social document.

Air hostess clique

Food when you were a youngster. on 00:10 - Jan 15 with 2030 viewsTrom

Food when you were a youngster. on 23:53 - Jan 14 by TacticalR

@ted_hendrix 'Now and again I used to take my old Dad's beer bottles back to the pub, you wasn't allowed in the pub them days as a kid so you had to wait outside after knocking on the door'

You see this in Melody (1971). Not only a great film, but also a social document.

Brilliant - when did you last see a rag and bone man?

A lot of that clip is my childhood in the early 70s (except the fish bits).
[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 0:11]
Food when you were a youngster. on 00:21 - Jan 15 with 2022 viewsloftboy

Pre- panini stickers you would get packs of football cards with a stick of bubble gum in.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Food when you were a youngster. on 00:37 - Jan 15 with 2017 viewsSnipper

Food when you were a youngster. on 22:09 - Jan 14 by MoonshineSteve

Do you mean Cresta?

It's frothy man.

Yeah Cresta. Lol

I had a feeling that I got the name wrong.
Food when you were a youngster. on 01:10 - Jan 15 with 2008 viewsbob566

Anyone remember bazooka joes. I think that was their name. 2p chewing gum and the wrapper was a cartoon.
Food when you were a youngster. on 02:23 - Jan 15 with 1982 viewsBoston

Food when you were a youngster. on 01:10 - Jan 15 by bob566

Anyone remember bazooka joes. I think that was their name. 2p chewing gum and the wrapper was a cartoon.

Y’ep

Food when you were a youngster. on 06:55 - Jan 15 with 1933 viewsMoonshineSteve

Food when you were a youngster. on 01:10 - Jan 15 by bob566

Saved up the wrappers and got my first watch from Bazooka Joes. Strap was striped in the Bazooka Joe colours. Felt really grown up.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Food when you were a youngster. on 07:48 - Jan 15 with 1916 viewsTheChef

Food when you were a youngster. on 16:03 - Jan 14 by Mick_S

Top left - top trifle. The mouse was half decent, too.

Had to be careful with the Findus French bread pizza - if you were impatient the roof of your mouth would take a week to heal.

Delicious!

I probably still have all those E numbers coursing through my veins right now

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Food when you were a youngster. on 07:57 - Jan 15 with 1907 viewsWokingR

Rissoles were amazing.
Tried Findus Pancakes again recently and they must have changed them because I remember them as being far better. Tried the minced beef and they could have sold it as the veggie option it had so little meat in it. Just some sort or brown slime.
Food when you were a youngster. on 08:39 - Jan 15 with 1878 viewskingo

Food when you were a youngster. on 19:26 - Jan 14 by oldmisery

Back on the theme of sweets etc, I remember getting a florin pocket money and saving half of it (a shilling or 5p in todays money). The other shilling I spent at 'Saturday Morning Pictures' circa 1958 - 1962, at initially Wembley Regal then the Kenton Odeon. It cost 6d to get in and I had sixpence to spend on sweets and what a choice we had. Apart from the farthing sweets such as Black Jacks and Fruit Salads there was:
Sherbert Fountains with a stick of liquorice, Aniseed Balls, Liquorice Wood, Sweet Cigarettes, Everlasting Strip (which morphed into a Curly Wurley), Fry's Five Boys Chocolate, Buttersnap and Caramac to name but a few. Those were the days.

Liquorice wood, remember it well. Plus palm toffee bars with banana or strawberry in the middle, which lasted forever or pulled a tooth out. If I had enough I would buy a scooby do and make another key fob. I used to get 6d pocket money and went a long way. Black jacks and fruit salads were 4 or 8 for 1d.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Food when you were a youngster. on 08:45 - Jan 15 with 1873 viewsGaryT

A few sweets not been mentioned yet are Pink Panther bars, Refreshers, Fry’s 5 segment bars (slowly taking the tin foil wrapping off, you felt like royalty eating that) Shrimps and bananas, yellow bon bons, white/brown chocolate mice, a giant white mouse with string for a tail, hard candy on elastic wrist band, Topic and Texan bars. I then found this which had most of them in
Food when you were a youngster. on 08:46 - Jan 15 with 1872 viewsMrSheen

Food when you were a youngster. on 06:55 - Jan 15 by MoonshineSteve

Saved up the wrappers and got my first watch from Bazooka Joes. Strap was striped in the Bazooka Joe colours. Felt really grown up.

How did you resist going for the X-Ray Spex instead? I'd have taken that, if I'd ever bothered collecting the papers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024