Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seven gone from Labour 10:28 - Feb 18 with 19366 viewsDWQPR

Three more than went to form the SDP back in 1981. Interesting times for the Labour Party and for politics in general.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Seven gone from Labour on 10:06 - Feb 21 with 2150 viewsplasmahoop

Seven gone from Labour on 09:47 - Feb 21 by stevec

But the percentage of earnings we pay in tax is higher than practically all previous governments, including Labour ones.

Most young people I know just about make ends meet, older ones have just about enough to see them into retirement if they act frugally enough. So where are all these people who earn so much they'd be 'happier' paying even more tax? Few and far between is my guess and certainly not enough of them to make a difference.

You have to ask what exactly are the Government spending 700 billion a year on. Whilst the NHS is a fantastic creation and something we all want, you wonder what possessed the Government of those days to think NIC contributions would cover the NHS and the state pension combined. It didn't, nor will it ever catch up.

When you look at social security and state pensions they've exploded and no government, Tory or Labour, invested tax take or NI take into covering those costs, in other words how you or I fund our own pensions, with money only we personally can afford. The Tories move recently to create workplace pensions is the first step in 70 years to alleviate a future catastrophe although that won't truly have any impact for at least 40 to 50 years.

As such, for most of all our adult lifetimes, the young will carry on paying for the old, as they have scandalously done since around 1948. It's a disgrace and one thing I partially agree with Corbyn on, requires an introduction of a punitive property tax, but sadly not the one he proposes as that will hurt the single home owner more than their wealthier counterparts.

The problems we face are huge. Something has got to give at some point. We have either all got to accept lower levels of public services, reduced provision by the NHS, pensions etc, or pay a shitload more in tax. There ought to be a bit more of a proper debate about such matters, but nobody ever gets out of base camp
Seven gone from Labour on 10:14 - Feb 21 with 2129 viewsStreathamRanger

Seven gone from Labour on 10:03 - Feb 21 by Konk

Blimey, don’t mention Jess Philips! I think she comes across as a breath of fresh air. Relatable, passionate and doesn’t take herself too seriously. Bonus points for reportedly telling Diane Abbott to fuc k-off. I reckon the average Labour voter would much rather go for a pint and a chat with her than spend an evening with Corbyn. Of course, she’s not ideologically pure enough for many, so not the most popular MP amongst the newer elements of the membership. Be nice to see the theoretical party of equality finally have a female leader too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1090652618056187905?s=08

Did you see her speech? The line about olives is genius. Definitely time for a female Labour leader. Rosena Khan is another gem. She came to speak at my school and her journey in life/politics was inspirational.
Seven gone from Labour on 10:38 - Feb 21 with 2085 viewsDorse

Heidi Allen.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Seven gone from Labour on 10:49 - Feb 21 with 2059 viewsisawqpratwcity

Seven gone from Labour on 10:38 - Feb 21 by Dorse

Heidi Allen.

Yeah, but she's saying "You've got to be this big..."

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Seven gone from Labour on 10:54 - Feb 21 with 2046 viewsFDC

The lack of scrutiny of this new party--sorry, company--by the media class is striking. Perhaps not surprising given it rather perfectly reflects their political composition, but still.

I mean, this group have been meeting for the past 12 months and failed to come up with a single policy and went ahead with the launch anyway. Pretty stupid no?
Seven gone from Labour on 11:28 - Feb 21 with 1995 viewsDorse

Seven gone from Labour on 10:49 - Feb 21 by isawqpratwcity

Yeah, but she's saying "You've got to be this big..."

Girth or length?

Seven gone from Labour on 11:31 - Feb 21 with 1984 viewsisawqpratwcity

Seven gone from Labour on 11:28 - Feb 21 by Dorse

Girth or length?

Have you got a lisp?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Seven gone from Labour on 11:31 - Feb 21 with 1982 viewsDorse

Seven gone from Labour on 11:31 - Feb 21 by isawqpratwcity

Have you got a lisp?

Perhapth.

Login to get fewer ads

Seven gone from Labour on 11:37 - Feb 21 with 1961 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sufferin succotash with lots of spit

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Seven gone from Labour on 12:02 - Feb 21 with 1937 viewsrobith

Seven gone from Labour on 10:03 - Feb 21 by Konk

Blimey, don’t mention Jess Philips! I think she comes across as a breath of fresh air. Relatable, passionate and doesn’t take herself too seriously. Bonus points for reportedly telling Diane Abbott to fuc k-off. I reckon the average Labour voter would much rather go for a pint and a chat with her than spend an evening with Corbyn. Of course, she’s not ideologically pure enough for many, so not the most popular MP amongst the newer elements of the membership. Be nice to see the theoretical party of equality finally have a female leader too.

Jess Phillips wore Repeal the 8th stuff to parliament whilst also palling around with her good friend Rees-Mogg who wants to ban abortion. Phillips only cares about one thing - herself.
Seven gone from Labour on 12:27 - Feb 21 with 1894 viewshubble

Seven gone from Labour on 12:02 - Feb 21 by robith

Jess Phillips wore Repeal the 8th stuff to parliament whilst also palling around with her good friend Rees-Mogg who wants to ban abortion. Phillips only cares about one thing - herself.

Agree, can't think of anyone worse to lead the Labour party that rent-a-gob Phillips. If you want a female leader, and I think that's a good idea, then I'd go for someone like Angela Rayner or, if you want genuine experience, Emily Thornberry. Phillips will be off with her Tory-lite mates soon anyway.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Seven gone from Labour on 12:46 - Feb 21 with 1851 viewsSharpy36

Rees-Mogg wants to ban abortion. Or put it another way, voices his strong religious beliefs that life begins at conception. Is he not allowed an opinion on this matter ?.
For the record other than through the act of rape and incest, i believe the same.

273k Mothers die per year worldwide giving birth
125k Abortions per day worldwide
Cant find data for babies pre birth that have life limiting illnesses.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 15:36]

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Seven gone from Labour on 12:56 - Feb 21 with 1826 views2Thomas2Bowles

Seven gone from Labour on 12:46 - Feb 21 by Sharpy36

Rees-Mogg wants to ban abortion. Or put it another way, voices his strong religious beliefs that life begins at conception. Is he not allowed an opinion on this matter ?.
For the record other than through the act of rape and incest, i believe the same.

So it's ok if the woman's own health, including dying, is not a reason to have an abortion, or if the child is very damaged and could not have any quality of life, medical reasons.

You can just edit your post

Edit, do you know how may kids are in care or living in poverty or neglected
Rees-Mogg does not give a fect about them
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 13:01]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Seven gone from Labour on 13:20 - Feb 21 with 1781 viewsTonto

Seven gone from Labour on 12:56 - Feb 21 by 2Thomas2Bowles

So it's ok if the woman's own health, including dying, is not a reason to have an abortion, or if the child is very damaged and could not have any quality of life, medical reasons.

You can just edit your post

Edit, do you know how may kids are in care or living in poverty or neglected
Rees-Mogg does not give a fect about them
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 13:01]

add rape...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Seven gone from Labour on 13:23 - Feb 21 with 1770 viewsR_from_afar

Seven gone from Labour on 09:47 - Feb 21 by stevec

But the percentage of earnings we pay in tax is higher than practically all previous governments, including Labour ones.

Most young people I know just about make ends meet, older ones have just about enough to see them into retirement if they act frugally enough. So where are all these people who earn so much they'd be 'happier' paying even more tax? Few and far between is my guess and certainly not enough of them to make a difference.

You have to ask what exactly are the Government spending 700 billion a year on. Whilst the NHS is a fantastic creation and something we all want, you wonder what possessed the Government of those days to think NIC contributions would cover the NHS and the state pension combined. It didn't, nor will it ever catch up.

When you look at social security and state pensions they've exploded and no government, Tory or Labour, invested tax take or NI take into covering those costs, in other words how you or I fund our own pensions, with money only we personally can afford. The Tories move recently to create workplace pensions is the first step in 70 years to alleviate a future catastrophe although that won't truly have any impact for at least 40 to 50 years.

As such, for most of all our adult lifetimes, the young will carry on paying for the old, as they have scandalously done since around 1948. It's a disgrace and one thing I partially agree with Corbyn on, requires an introduction of a punitive property tax, but sadly not the one he proposes as that will hurt the single home owner more than their wealthier counterparts.

Too much is being spent on defence. We spent the second most, by percentage of GDP, in NATO in 2017:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/07/10/defense-expenditure-of-nat

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Seven gone from Labour on 13:25 - Feb 21 with 1763 viewsMick_S

Seven gone from Labour on 10:38 - Feb 21 by Dorse

Heidi Allen.

Dorse having a quick wax on wax off.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Seven gone from Labour on 13:51 - Feb 21 with 1717 viewsStreathamRanger

Not sure why you'd dislike Phillips so much. Background in charity work and strong positive female role model. Unless it's because she's not endorsed by Momentum.
I've been impressed by Angela Rayner. At the last election, I was involved in the Fair Funding For Schools movement and she was always very supportive and helped push education up the agenda so we weren't all just talking about bloody Brexit. I also quite like Thornberry but I don't think she'd have the mass appeal to win an election.
Seven gone from Labour on 13:56 - Feb 21 with 1706 viewsDorse

Seven gone from Labour on 13:25 - Feb 21 by Mick_S

Dorse having a quick wax on wax off.

'Close eye...'

Seven gone from Labour on 14:46 - Feb 21 with 1630 viewsrobith

Seven gone from Labour on 12:46 - Feb 21 by Sharpy36

He's allowed that opinion (though would point out he also makes profit from investing in a company that makes abortion pills so his convictions don't run that deep), but that would surely make him an incompatible bedfellow for someone looking to make hay from piggy backing on the grass roots campaigning in Ireland ?

You're also entitled to your view, but history shows you can't ban abortion. You can only ban safe abortion.

Anyway, let's not railroad this thread
Seven gone from Labour on 14:53 - Feb 21 with 1606 viewsrobith

Seven gone from Labour on 13:51 - Feb 21 by StreathamRanger

Not sure why you'd dislike Phillips so much. Background in charity work and strong positive female role model. Unless it's because she's not endorsed by Momentum.
I've been impressed by Angela Rayner. At the last election, I was involved in the Fair Funding For Schools movement and she was always very supportive and helped push education up the agenda so we weren't all just talking about bloody Brexit. I also quite like Thornberry but I don't think she'd have the mass appeal to win an election.

She's actually pretty left wing. I just dislike her cos she's a self aggrandising hypocrite
Seven gone from Labour on 15:02 - Feb 21 with 1581 viewsStreathamRanger

Interesting. Out of interest, what do you think makes her a hypocrite?
Looking at her voting record, I can't see too much controversy aside perhaps from voting against investigations into the Iraq war. Maybe I missed something?
Seven gone from Labour on 15:56 - Feb 21 with 1509 viewsrobith

Seven gone from Labour on 15:02 - Feb 21 by StreathamRanger

Interesting. Out of interest, what do you think makes her a hypocrite?
Looking at her voting record, I can't see too much controversy aside perhaps from voting against investigations into the Iraq war. Maybe I missed something?

I wrote out an incredibly long list, but at the end of it, I thought "what is the point?" Whilst I dislike her immensely, she also gets a lot of unjustified abuse, and ultimately sat here slagging off a prominent female member of the Labour party isn't a good look.

One thing I would say is I'm all for feminism but if someone said "what about male suicide rates?" I'd connect that it comes from the same root issue. Jess laughed at them.
Seven gone from Labour on 16:05 - Feb 21 with 1483 viewsKonk

Seven gone from Labour on 12:02 - Feb 21 by robith

My Dad, who’s the kindest bloke you could hope to meet, is opposed to gay marriage on religious grounds (but very welcoming of gay and lesbian friends we’ve introduced him too). He accepts my viewpoint and I respect his, whilst disagreeing with him. Doesn’t stop me enjoying his company and respecting him.

Years ago, C4 News sent JP and JRM out with one another to visit their respective constituencies: JP was pleasantly surprised to discover she quite liked him as a bloke. It doesn’t necessarily follow that she agrees with a single one of his views, though, does it? She might just find him funny. I do.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Seven gone from Labour on 16:39 - Feb 21 with 1431 viewsrobith

Seven gone from Labour on 16:05 - Feb 21 by Konk

My Dad, who’s the kindest bloke you could hope to meet, is opposed to gay marriage on religious grounds (but very welcoming of gay and lesbian friends we’ve introduced him too). He accepts my viewpoint and I respect his, whilst disagreeing with him. Doesn’t stop me enjoying his company and respecting him.

Years ago, C4 News sent JP and JRM out with one another to visit their respective constituencies: JP was pleasantly surprised to discover she quite liked him as a bloke. It doesn’t necessarily follow that she agrees with a single one of his views, though, does it? She might just find him funny. I do.

I think you're arguing at cross purposes here. I did not say she agreed with him. I did not say she's not allowed to say he's funny or alright as a bloke.

But she made public capital out of normalising a guy in a position of much greater power than your old fella, whilst at the same time trying to make public capital from the hard work of women suffering under the perfidious influence of the reality of his policies. All for the benefit of her profile.

My wife volunteered on the London branch of the Repeal campaign and there was quite the divide of Labour MPs who helped them along the way, and the ones who turned up at the end to take the credit and bask in the reflected glory.

But I'll leave it there as I'm clearly awful at making my point because everyone seems to be reading something else into it

EDIT: For context, I'm having a bloody rough day and should stay out of politics threads when I'm in this mood. Cheers for your understanding
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 17:08]
Seven gone from Labour on 16:44 - Feb 21 with 1417 viewsStreathamRanger

Fair enough Robith. You've got your reasons for not liking her and I can respect that. I would just like to see someone leading Labour who might actually win an election as I'm guessing you might as well?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024