Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium 15:57 - Apr 11 with 10548 viewssuperstan

Hammersmith Bridge is closed indefinitely due to major faults and no money in the budget to repair, so sell Linford site to QPR use funds to repair or is that too simple?
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 23:12 - Apr 11 with 2447 viewssmegma

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 18:43 - Apr 11 by superstan

Gone well off topic ☹️

I blame the medication.

Or LSD
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 23:23 - Apr 11 with 2418 viewsFredManRave

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 18:34 - Apr 11 by Northernr

We have a Brxit thread. We do not need another.

I've decided to leave the Brexit thread and will remain on here.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 00:04 - Apr 12 with 2386 viewsMatch82

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 18:34 - Apr 11 by Northernr

We have a Brxit thread. We do not need another.

This can be the abridged version of the Brexit thread. Sorry.
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 13:11 - Mar 26 with 1312 viewsstevec

Which will be first to fully open to traffic, Hammersmith bridge or Baltimore Bridge?
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 13:17 - Mar 26 with 1265 viewsHastings_Hoops

I think that the sticking point is that QPR expect the Council to GIVE them the Linford Christie stadium?
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 13:18 - Mar 26 with 1257 viewsTheChef

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 13:17 - Mar 26 by Hastings_Hoops

I think that the sticking point is that QPR expect the Council to GIVE them the Linford Christie stadium?

I'm always amazed how people dig up these ancient threads.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 13:47 - Mar 26 with 1136 viewssaxbend

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 16:09 - Apr 11 by Antti_Heinola

This country doesn't have the money for anything thanks to austerity. Apart from the billions and billions wasted on Brexit, obviously. And bribes to the DUP.

That and all the money syphoned off during COVID to maintain free income for already wealthy people who don't have jobs at the expense of literally everyone else.
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 13:58 - Mar 26 with 1082 viewscolinallcars

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 13:11 - Mar 26 by stevec

Which will be first to fully open to traffic, Hammersmith bridge or Baltimore Bridge?

We're British you see, we don't like rushing into things like these American chappies do.
Login to get fewer ads

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 14:14 - Mar 26 with 1022 viewsrobith

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 13:18 - Mar 26 by TheChef

Once it's off page 1, it's dead to me
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 14:39 - Mar 26 with 911 viewsJuzzie

Baltimore Bridge is made of meccano. Easy to put up, easy to knock down, easy to put up again.

Seriously though, it's a very long bridge, amazed at how quick it came down. Just hope everyone survived but feel there may be a few that didn't.

[Post edited 26 Mar 14:41]
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 15:08 - Mar 26 with 848 viewsqprninja

Doubt it will ever go anywhere with that site due to the green space issue.
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 15:50 - Mar 26 with 731 viewsderbyhoop

I know where my money would be going. Hint - its not W6.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 15:51 - Mar 26 with 727 viewsHastings_Hoops

Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 13:18 - Mar 26 by TheChef

You’ll find it was SteveC that dug it up?
Hammersmith Bridge/Linford Christie Stadium on 17:02 - Mar 26 with 595 viewsjohann28

I know a bit about this. It's not just about money, but an awful lot of technicalities and not a little politics.

The bridge was deemed safe to reopen to cyclists and pedestrians in 2021 but a stabilisation plan put together by Mott MacDonald was to be undertaken prior to a full repair job.

The first step of the stabilisation plan was for custom steel support frames to be fitted around the cracked iron pedestals. FM Conway is the contractor currently carrying out the work, which was delayed due to issues sourcing the metal from Ukraine amidst the ongoing conflict.

The steel arrived in the UK in May 2023 in the form of 29 giant sheets. A sub-contractor cut it into 1220 pieces that were welded together to be fitted onto the cracked pedestals for support. Work to fit the supports onto the pedestals has nearly completed. However, some small pieces of the custom steel frames are in need of adjustment. They have been sent back to a Middlesborough factory, where they will undergo the needed modifications.

London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham (LBHF) reports that, when the steel supports have been finalised, work will move on to the next stage of stabilisation. This will see the bridge jacked up and bearings replaced. LBHF 'remains confident' that the stabilisation process will be complete this year. This will allow cyclists to ride across the bridge once again, rather than wheeling them (road traffic will still be blocked from accessing the bridge).

By the way, a further blow in December when it was hit by a party boat carrying West Ham fans to attend the club’s match against Fulham. LBHF reports that the roughly 100m gantry that runs under the bridge was damaged in the incident. This is crucial for supporting any work that needs to take place to the underside of the bridge and must be fixed before full repairs can take place.

The latest estimate from LBHF totalling £250M (over £100M more than the previous estimate). In 2021 it was agreed that the funding would be split three ways between LBHF, TfL and the Department for Transport. However, the business case has been sitting with the DfT for over two years without approval, meaning funds cannot be released by the DfT and TfL. LBHF has now said it can only fund its £83M share of the cost if it is allowed to implement a toll order or a road user charge on the bridge once it reopens to traffic. LBHF is due to consult on this plan. However, the rising cost has been said to have caused a “stalemate” between the three funding parties. A specially formed task force to work on a solution for Hammersmith Bridge has not met for over two years.

Liberal Dem MP for Richmond Sarah Olney told the Standard: “I think it’s increasingly possible that it won’t reopen to traffic.” She said that only central government can now afford to pay the bill, with the sum being unrealistic for a local council. This seems likely.

The full repair plan will involve the erection of a second deck above the existing deck to provide crossing for all traffic while works are undertaken on the bridge itself. This “double decker” solution, put together by Foster + Partners and Cowi, has already seen £3.5M committed to it from LBHF for ground investigations and further feasibility studies.
This work has now been completed and the double decker solution will be taken forward, but only once the business case has been passed and funds released.

We'll be waiting a long while, I fear.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024