Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB 11:57 - Apr 30 with 27766 viewshubble

For the denizens of this board the fate of WATRB is probably not much more than an afterthought. It has an interesting place in the Rangers' message board pantheon, catering for perhaps a different demographic than this one. It is generally looked down upon by the more highbrow message boards and politically it is summed up by the fact that it is (as far as I am aware) the only Rangers' board that is majority pro-Brexit.

It seemed to have its heyday several years back, but has persisted as one of a quartet of most popular QPR forums, the other three being this one, the ersatz QPRdot.org and not606. However, in recent times it has been riven by internecine strife, with whole threads dedicated to accusations and counter-accusations, much to the detriment of the board as a whole.

Things reached a head a few months back when two key members of the admin team left to form a rival message board that was free of the in-fighting that clogged WATRB. Having formed the new board they attempted to recruit posters from WATRB, resulting in a Stalinesque clampdown from the remaining admin, which included severe breaches of forum protocol, i.e. reading the private messages of board members. The private message function was subsequently removed all together and left remaining members in a kind of limbo, with the in-fighting and arguing continuing.

I was one of the members who was contacted by the new forum and moved over. In trying to contact a friend from WATRB by simply posting on the forum I was put on the naughty step ( pre-mod) and all my posts either criticising the handling of the whole debacle or trying to reach my friend were deleted.

What I find fascinating about all this and message boards in general are what they reveal about us, about tribalism, belonging, ideas of ownership and connection and loyalty. With larger clubs pretty much the only thing that binds the disparate members of football forums is their allegiance to a particular football team, to which most have no more connection that any other 'brand'. With smaller teams like ours, there is something more profound that binds most of us, a physical connection to the place itself, often through place of birth or strong family connections. At bottom it is about belonging, in a world that is increasingly globalised and empty of value. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been anthropological studies of fan message boards, but if there haven't, there should be.

Of course there are other issues at stake: for WATRB it's about income, footfall driving revenue, hence the desire to cling to its membership and fight off any interference. But the mistake is to alienate your core users in the first place. Where this board succeeds so admirably I think is in its inclusivity: it is by and large a broad and tolerant church. Exclusivity is not useful in a free-to-use forum that relies on numbers.

It's also fascinating to note how different each QPR board is (let alone forums in general) in their unique 'flavour'. This is partly due to how the board is administered, partly due to the look and feel of the board itself. Hiving off non-QPR related threads to sub-forums is attractive to some posters who want their QPR fix unadulterated, but for most, the open, anything goes style of this board is much more attractive. The original (and I think best) QPR forum, qpr.org, was an uncensored and completely open forum which had the benefit of being privately funded. Boards funded by advertising like this one (I think that's its key funding model, please correct me if I'm wrong Clive) and WATRB have to place certain restrictions on posters to avoid falling foul of the dreaded Google adwords bots that flag up things they don't like, such as swear words. These restrictions are fairly easily circumvented by members using asterisks for letters, or creative alternatives to standard expletives. Again, the very fact that this happens is interesting in itself. We are all slaves to the mighty Google and other mass media social media platform purveyors to some extent. Perhaps to a scary extent.

The splinter forum has a witty name if you've been a long-term follower of QPR message board wars: Rangers Fantasy Island. A name that seems apt when refugees from WATRB wash up on its shores. As a fledgling QPR forum it doesn't even register on Google unless searched by name directly. It will be interesting to see (from an anthropological perspective at least) what happens to the various QPR forums over the next few years, especially if the decline in the club's fortunes continues. On here at least there is much outside of QPR to continue to entertain its members.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 18:51 - Apr 30 with 4449 viewsMiss_Terraces

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 12:25 - Apr 30 by JJB

I like this board the most, that's mainly down to the fact I haven't been banned from it yet like I have on all the others.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 19:14 - Apr 30 with 4399 viewsWestbourneR

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:21 - Apr 30 by Hayesender

Basically if you voted for brexit, you're nothing more than a thick wacist who doesn't even know what they voted for.

The smugness of remainers holds no bounds

Replace 'smugness' with 'accurate insight' and you'd have nailed it completely.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 19:21 - Apr 30 with 4380 viewscolinallcars

I'm a relative newcomer to this board - about 18 months and only post on here. I notice that a few folks post on this board and .org.
Can someone fill me in on the history of .org and why/when it changed ? I often look at it, but sometimes there are no posts for a whole day.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 21:18 - Apr 30 with 4227 viewsStanisgod

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 16:00 - Apr 30 by loftboy

Baby spice for me.

Every time. Still looks 25

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 21:22 - Apr 30 with 4216 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 19:21 - Apr 30 by colinallcars

I'm a relative newcomer to this board - about 18 months and only post on here. I notice that a few folks post on this board and .org.
Can someone fill me in on the history of .org and why/when it changed ? I often look at it, but sometimes there are no posts for a whole day.

Hubble can fill you in chapter and verse on that.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 21:42 - Apr 30 with 4180 viewsTripper

Is this the same QPRPete from WATRB?

Now running a tipster service

https://twitter.com/Betracingnation
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 21:45 - Apr 30 with 4169 viewsloftboy

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 21:42 - Apr 30 by Tripper

Yep, seen him on some internet tv racing style programme

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 22:21 - Apr 30 with 4092 viewskensalriser

I do miss the old .org. There were some genuinely funny posters (both definitions) and the standard of the repartee was excellent.

Gave up the fake org after a while as it just didn't feel right supporting the morally questionable annexation of the brand and audience.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 22:40 - Apr 30 with 4047 viewsPunteR

There is only so many hours in the day. One message board is enough for me. Just so happens this is the best one. Result!

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 23:27 - Apr 30 with 3972 viewsWEAREAWFUL

yeah you are right punteR so long as you toe the line on clives rules
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 00:24 - May 1 with 3922 viewswombat

The very same Pete who while employed by QPR and was being paid to promote the club website at the time was asking people he rung what they thought of WATRB to anyone his company rung asking fans to subscribe , let’s say the night he rung me asking my views in said website will always be remembered by drummer boy Pete .

Can we go back to invading other clubs website please ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 01:29 - May 1 with 3892 viewsPunteR

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 23:27 - Apr 30 by WEAREAWFUL

yeah you are right punteR so long as you toe the line on clives rules

Clive hasnt set any rules as far i know apart from dont be a knob head to other posters.
Or offer people out with guns.
Never seen you on here so what would you know anyway..? Changed your username have you?..

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 08:19 - May 1 with 3764 viewsthame_hoops

Was it Pete that was living in a bin and came on here (rivals) asking for money? Or did I dream it
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 08:20 - May 1 with 3763 viewsWEAREAWFUL

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 01:29 - May 1 by PunteR

Clive hasnt set any rules as far i know apart from dont be a knob head to other posters.
Never seen you on here so what would you know anyway..? Changed your username have you?..

You might think that mate. I couldnt possibly comment
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 08:42 - May 1 with 3734 viewsSharpy36

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 08:19 - May 1 by thame_hoops

Was it Pete that was living in a bin and came on here (rivals) asking for money? Or did I dream it

Scott jones

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 09:20 - May 1 with 3690 viewsMick_S

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 16:00 - Apr 30 by loftboy

Baby spice for me.

Man Alive - Marie Osmond on breakfast tv today.

Hubba Hubba.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 12:09 - May 1 with 3564 viewsrobith

WAIT - THAT GUY IS HIM???????????

OH MY GOD SO MUCH MAKES SENSE NOW
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:43 - May 1 with 3453 viewsNorthernr

If his racing tips are as accurate as his QPR rumours I hope you've got plenty of money to spare.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:44 - May 1 with 3443 viewsPunteR

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 08:20 - May 1 by WEAREAWFUL

You might think that mate. I couldnt possibly comment

Ooh... mysterious.

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:46 - May 1 with 3440 viewsNorthernr

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 01:29 - May 1 by PunteR

Yeh, 'don't be a dick' is basically the only rule. Haven't even deleted a post for weeks now.
'Don't threaten to shoot each other' is a sub section of don't be a dick, that shouldn't really need spelling out, but, well, you know.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:52 - May 1 with 3417 viewsBuckR

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:43 - May 1 by Northernr

If his racing tips are as accurate as his QPR rumours I hope you've got plenty of money to spare.

What did ever happen to Ched Evans and that bus?
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:57 - May 1 with 3392 viewsNorthernr

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:52 - May 1 by BuckR

What did ever happen to Ched Evans and that bus?

Or Danny Graham's house in Sunbury. Basically built a website by lying to other QPR fans about signings to draw them in, then used it to peddle the lines of an incompetent chairman and come after individual supporters who didn't toe that line.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 14:10 - May 1 with 3337 viewsrunningman75

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:21 - Apr 30 by Hayesender

Basically if you voted for brexit, you're nothing more than a thick wacist who doesn't even know what they voted for.

The smugness of remainers holds no bounds

You have been listening to James O'Brien on LBC too much. I voted remain but have friends who voted leave many whom parents were immigrants to the UK.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 14:38 - May 1 with 3295 viewsngbqpr

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 13:51 - Apr 30 by loftboy

I once bumped into Pete outside the ground, when I told him my user name he took a step back and genuinely thought I was going to punch him.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 13:53]

I so wish you had punched him - you would have had a huge electronic army behind you holding your viral coat

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 14:47 - May 1 with 4869 viewssmegma

What about the other 'numero uno' fan Myu ???? I believe they were behind WATRB site to be a Paladini mouthpiece and no longer even watch QPR.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024