Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite pub names 22:42 - Jul 14 with 8720 viewscolinallcars

Not having anything else to occupy what I call my mind, I suddenly started to think of my favourite pub names. I find the Ship Aground very evocative and I also like the Dog And Muffler and The World Turned Upside Down. Any good 'uns ? Not made up ones please.
Favourite pub names on 10:38 - Jul 15 with 1639 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The Frog Inn. Skirmett.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Favourite pub names on 10:40 - Jul 15 with 1632 viewsKonk

The Faltering Fullback - Finsbury Park
The Cottage - Bristol and Cardiff
The Gate that hangs well - Redditch
The Christmas Steps - Bristol

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Favourite pub names on 10:50 - Jul 15 with 1604 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Favourite pub names on 10:40 - Jul 15 by Konk

The Faltering Fullback - Finsbury Park
The Cottage - Bristol and Cardiff
The Gate that hangs well - Redditch
The Christmas Steps - Bristol

The Faltering Fallback is a class boozer with the best beer garden I’ve ever been to
Favourite pub names on 10:53 - Jul 15 with 1596 viewscolinallcars

The Admiral Blake at the top end of Barlby Rd will be known to many on here. A common enough name but known to locals as the Cowshed.
Favourite pub names on 10:57 - Jul 15 with 1582 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Favourite pub names on 10:53 - Jul 15 by colinallcars

The Admiral Blake at the top end of Barlby Rd will be known to many on here. A common enough name but known to locals as the Cowshed.

and demolished about 5 years ago.

Vaulty Towers

I was in it yesterday digging the Blues

https://www.vaultytowers.london/sunday-blues

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite pub names on 10:58 - Jul 15 with 1576 views81A

The Goodwill to All. Sounds like something you should write in a Christmas Card.
Favourite pub names on 11:03 - Jul 15 with 1560 viewsMrSheen

Favourite pub names on 09:35 - Jul 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

There used to be a boozer called The Case Is Altered in Willesden.

The pub sign was a judge in handcuffs. Always fascinated me as a kid.

Often had to get my father out of there on a Sunday afternoon. Apparently it was a corruption of Casa Alta, which was the name of inns in Spain at the time of the Peninsular War. Very possibly nonsense.

There’s a wonderful old pub in Deansgate in Manchester called the Briton’s Protection. Depending on who you believe, it either celebrates the co-operative and trade union movement, or the Army. Apart from the Peterloo murals in the corridor, it has the same decor as my grandparents house, around 1971.
Favourite pub names on 11:11 - Jul 15 with 1545 viewsBoston

Favourite pub names on 09:35 - Jul 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

There used to be a boozer called The Case Is Altered in Willesden.

The pub sign was a judge in handcuffs. Always fascinated me as a kid.

Wasn’t there one by that name in Wealdstone?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite pub names on 11:12 - Jul 15 with 1541 viewsWrightUp5hit___

https://i1.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/the-rank-turd-pub-kidde
Favourite pub names on 11:29 - Jul 15 with 1528 viewsKonk

Favourite pub names on 10:50 - Jul 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

The Faltering Fallback is a class boozer with the best beer garden I’ve ever been to

That garden is the Ewok village. They just used to have a little concrete yard - a really clever use of the available space. I've drunk in there for 25+ years - strange pub really, with the main bar being an old school back street boozer, but with the "Cub hut" out the back and then the Ewok Village outside. Always been brilliantly run.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Favourite pub names on 11:33 - Jul 15 with 1516 viewsMick_S

Favourite pub names on 11:11 - Jul 15 by Boston

Wasn’t there one by that name in Wealdstone?

I think it is still there, Bos - opposite The Grims Dyke Hotel which has some connection with Gilbert and Sullivan.

Edit - Old Redding area.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 11:33]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Favourite pub names on 11:35 - Jul 15 with 1505 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Favourite pub names on 10:57 - Jul 15 by Metallica_Hoop

and demolished about 5 years ago.

Vaulty Towers

I was in it yesterday digging the Blues

https://www.vaultytowers.london/sunday-blues

I used to enjoy going to Bob’s Goodtime Blues in the Station Tavern near Latimer Rd tube. Back in my misspent youth of Sunday lunchtime boozing. They used to have a great house band (guitarist called TJ?) with regular guest vocalists such as Chaka Khans sister Taka Boom. Although I never saw her apparently Chaka herself would also make an appearance when in Town.

*Edit- I think the guitarists name was TJ.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 12:45]

Favourite pub names on 12:02 - Jul 15 with 1474 viewskensalriser

Pub names are one of the few things I'm ultra conservative about. It's cultural vandalism and pure vanity to change the name of a pub that's existed for a century or more, or even decades. All old pub names should be listed like buildings to prevent dickheads renaming them with asinine names like The Fart in a Furrow.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Favourite pub names on 12:05 - Jul 15 with 1465 viewsMick_S

The Winking Frog - Shifnal/Cannock.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Favourite pub names on 12:20 - Jul 15 with 1441 viewscolinallcars

Favourite pub names on 11:35 - Jul 15 by CliveWilsonSaid

I used to enjoy going to Bob’s Goodtime Blues in the Station Tavern near Latimer Rd tube. Back in my misspent youth of Sunday lunchtime boozing. They used to have a great house band (guitarist called TJ?) with regular guest vocalists such as Chaka Khans sister Taka Boom. Although I never saw her apparently Chaka herself would also make an appearance when in Town.

*Edit- I think the guitarists name was TJ.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 12:45]

I too frequented the Station, and being a tenth rate blues guitarist myself, played there a couple of times. I remember particularly a local outfit called The Shakey Vick Blues Band. I went off the pub when a bloke had his hand chopped off in there.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 12:30]
Favourite pub names on 12:24 - Jul 15 with 1432 viewsrobith

Favourite pub names on 11:29 - Jul 15 by Konk

That garden is the Ewok village. They just used to have a little concrete yard - a really clever use of the available space. I've drunk in there for 25+ years - strange pub really, with the main bar being an old school back street boozer, but with the "Cub hut" out the back and then the Ewok Village outside. Always been brilliantly run.

It's an amazing pub. Sadly now it's too popular to bother going to watch the rugby in. One in one out by about 4 hours before kick off
Favourite pub names on 12:42 - Jul 15 with 1394 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Favourite pub names on 11:29 - Jul 15 by Konk

Spent many a Saturday afternoon in there watching Jeff Stelling in my twenties when I wasn’t at QPR away.

There are only a handful of boozers I think about regularly and that was one.

Another one, for anyone who lives in South Australia is the Mount Mary Hotel of which I reckon was the greatest and most interesting boozer I have ever see foot in:

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/mt-mary-hotel-is-the-pub-wit
Favourite pub names on 12:47 - Jul 15 with 1380 viewsR_from_afar

There is/was a Case is Altered in Warwickshire.

I always liked the names The Sprat (a long-gone hellhole of a boozer in Didcot) and The Blue Lias and The Jugged Hare but my fave will always be....The Old New Inn.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Favourite pub names on 12:49 - Jul 15 with 1379 viewsloftboy

As a kid my dad would drive to a pub in Crowthorne called the Who’d a thought it

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite pub names on 12:58 - Jul 15 with 1363 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Favourite pub names on 12:42 - Jul 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

Spent many a Saturday afternoon in there watching Jeff Stelling in my twenties when I wasn’t at QPR away.

There are only a handful of boozers I think about regularly and that was one.

Another one, for anyone who lives in South Australia is the Mount Mary Hotel of which I reckon was the greatest and most interesting boozer I have ever see foot in:

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/mt-mary-hotel-is-the-pub-wit

I’ll never forget a pub I went to in Cremorne on the North Shore in Sydney around year 2000. The Oaks Hotel.

They used to have a butchers attached to one side of the pub where you could buy your own uncooked meat and take it out to the garden where they had a large tree with bbq grills underneath. Here you could cook your own steak and burgers or whatever.

Not one for vegans obviously.

Favourite pub names on 14:08 - Jul 15 with 1299 viewsenfieldargh

Favourite pub names on 11:33 - Jul 15 by Mick_S

I think it is still there, Bos - opposite The Grims Dyke Hotel which has some connection with Gilbert and Sullivan.

Edit - Old Redding area.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 11:33]

yes still there, drove past it last week

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Favourite pub names on 14:28 - Jul 15 with 1276 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Favourite pub names on 12:58 - Jul 15 by CliveWilsonSaid

I’ll never forget a pub I went to in Cremorne on the North Shore in Sydney around year 2000. The Oaks Hotel.

They used to have a butchers attached to one side of the pub where you could buy your own uncooked meat and take it out to the garden where they had a large tree with bbq grills underneath. Here you could cook your own steak and burgers or whatever.

Not one for vegans obviously.

Mate that sounds class.
Favourite pub names on 14:47 - Jul 15 with 1261 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Favourite pub names on 23:56 - Jul 14 by smegma

The Ferret And Firkin In The Balloon Up The Creek Without A Paddle takes some beating. The day it closed down Gary Moore played a blinding set in the Adventure playground next to the beer garden.

http://www.foodandfuel.co.uk/our-pubs/lots-road-pub-dining-room-chelsea/about-us

Used to work around the corner from that, and drink there occasionally.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite pub names on 14:52 - Jul 15 with 1249 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Favourite pub names on 11:03 - Jul 15 by MrSheen

Often had to get my father out of there on a Sunday afternoon. Apparently it was a corruption of Casa Alta, which was the name of inns in Spain at the time of the Peninsular War. Very possibly nonsense.

There’s a wonderful old pub in Deansgate in Manchester called the Briton’s Protection. Depending on who you believe, it either celebrates the co-operative and trade union movement, or the Army. Apart from the Peterloo murals in the corridor, it has the same decor as my grandparents house, around 1971.

"Often had to get my father out of there on a Sunday afternoon. Apparently it was a corruption of Casa Alta, which was the name of inns in Spain at the time of the Peninsular War. Very possibly nonsense."

I heard the same, Sheen.

Favourite pub names on 14:56 - Jul 15 with 1237 viewsBrianMcCarthy

In Doonbeg in County Clare there's a pub owned for generations by the Igoe family.

Called, quite rightly, The Igoe Inn.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024