Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts after yestersay 09:19 - Nov 23 with 2788 viewsdannyblue

Went with a fair weather Fulham mate yesterday and in describing our team realised our starting 11 has:
3 players from our youth team
Two defenders signed on frees, who’ve been injured for most of the last two years
Two defenders signed on frees
A midfielder signed on a free from Rotherham
A midfielder on loan from spurs who’s been injured for most of the last 18 months.
Two strikers on loan from prem.
Not a transfer fee among them (maybe a little for Manning?)

The fact that we’re competitive, against teams assembled for 10s of millions, is something to be pleased with. And considering this provenance it’s less Surprising that our confidence dropped So visibly after conceding the second, and that Fulham were vastly superior at game management and strangling the life out of it once going ahead. Lots of room for improvement of course, but we have to remember where we’ve come from.

Thoughts after yestersay on 09:53 - Nov 23 with 2689 viewsbosh67

Good perspective this. Fulham's team is basically assembled for about £150 million and ours is .... about £200K. The fact that we haven't nailed defending but still should have got at least a point says if we can work out a way to stop teams that we will hold our own.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Thoughts after yestersay on 10:00 - Nov 23 with 2675 viewsNortholt_Rs

Thoughts after yestersay on 09:53 - Nov 23 by bosh67

Good perspective this. Fulham's team is basically assembled for about £150 million and ours is .... about £200K. The fact that we haven't nailed defending but still should have got at least a point says if we can work out a way to stop teams that we will hold our own.

Stopping teams is the big issue for us though - I think we have now gone 19 games without keeping a clean sheet. That is an appalling statistic! The big worry is MW clearly doesn’t know how to fix the problem with the players he has....
[Post edited 23 Nov 2019 10:01]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Thoughts after yestersay on 10:05 - Nov 23 with 2641 viewsgazza1

Personal errors cost us.....

Manning, Toni and maybe Hall for the first. Lumley the second.

Not sure how MW can fix that.
Thoughts after yestersay on 12:06 - Nov 23 with 2483 viewspaulparker

Thoughts after yestersay on 10:05 - Nov 23 by gazza1

Personal errors cost us.....

Manning, Toni and maybe Hall for the first. Lumley the second.

Not sure how MW can fix that.

Extra training , hire a defensive coach , he is the manager it’s his job to sort this , a mistake here and there I agree you can do nothing about but it’s every single game , we have gifted goals to the oppo in the last 3 games alone, it’s not good enough

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Thoughts after yestersay on 13:12 - Nov 23 with 2377 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Whilst I'm not advocating a return to the ridiculous spending of the past, I do feel that with our owners we shouldn't be so heavily reliant on frees and loans. Unfortunately Tony et al went overboard in the early days and we're now in a period of austerity. I suspect we'll have to ride this out for a year or 2 until the 3 year FFP cycle allows us headroom to be more ambitious in the transfer market.
Thoughts after yestersay on 13:19 - Nov 23 with 2353 viewsdannyblue

By my calcs they’ve done the hard work and can spend a bit in jan and even more in the summer if the want to
Thoughts after yestersay on 13:21 - Nov 23 with 2347 viewsJuzzie

Thoughts after yestersay on 13:12 - Nov 23 by Benny_the_Ball

Whilst I'm not advocating a return to the ridiculous spending of the past, I do feel that with our owners we shouldn't be so heavily reliant on frees and loans. Unfortunately Tony et al went overboard in the early days and we're now in a period of austerity. I suspect we'll have to ride this out for a year or 2 until the 3 year FFP cycle allows us headroom to be more ambitious in the transfer market.

Re: your first paragraph, thats how FFP works. We have to live within our own means and those means are pretty small hence needing to rely on free’s and small transfers.
The owners couldn’t spend even if they had a billion to burn.
Thoughts after yestersay on 13:26 - Nov 23 with 2335 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Thoughts after yestersay on 13:19 - Nov 23 by dannyblue

By my calcs they’ve done the hard work and can spend a bit in jan and even more in the summer if the want to

I do hope the club don't panic in January as you rarely find good players at the right price in this transfer window. Unless a genuine bargain resents itself, I'd be tempted to keep our powder dry until the summer.
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts after yestersay on 13:45 - Nov 23 with 2259 viewsstowmarketrange

Thoughts after yestersay on 13:21 - Nov 23 by Juzzie

Re: your first paragraph, thats how FFP works. We have to live within our own means and those means are pretty small hence needing to rely on free’s and small transfers.

Unless you’re Salford city owned by the class of 92.Or Direby with Rooneys wages being paid by their sponsors.Or Birmingham who openly flouted ffp rules even once they’d been warned about it,and received a meaningless points deduction.
Thoughts after yestersay on 14:03 - Nov 23 with 2216 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Thoughts after yestersay on 13:21 - Nov 23 by Juzzie

To a certain extent yes but it's the historical Premier League contracts that are still haunting us today. Once the 3 year FFP cycle leaves that history behind, the club will be free to be a little more ambitious in the transfer market.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2019 14:06]
Thoughts after yestersay on 14:21 - Nov 23 with 2173 viewsLythamR

Thoughts after yestersay on 14:03 - Nov 23 by Benny_the_Ball

To a certain extent yes but it's the historical Premier League contracts that are still haunting us today. Once the 3 year FFP cycle leaves that history behind, the club will be free to be a little more ambitious in the transfer market.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2019 14:06]

I am not sure about that. the premier contracts are gone but even this year we will lose money even on the reduced contracts now operating so unless we sell for big money there will be very little wiggle room if we are to remain within FFP limits
Thoughts after yestersay on 14:30 - Nov 23 with 2146 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Thoughts after yestersay on 14:21 - Nov 23 by LythamR

I am not sure about that. the premier contracts are gone but even this year we will lose money even on the reduced contracts now operating so unless we sell for big money there will be very little wiggle room if we are to remain within FFP limits

FFP doesn't insist that you make a profit, it allows you to lose money up to a limit of £39 million over 3 years. So you can still spend provided you don't exceed that limit. In addition, there are some exclusions that clubs can take advantage of. Aside from the obvious, infrastructure, clubs can exclude wages for certain long-standing players and transfer fees can be depreciated over the term of the contract.
Thoughts after yestersay on 22:22 - Nov 23 with 1730 viewssmegma

Thoughts after yestersay on 10:00 - Nov 23 by Northolt_Rs

Stopping teams is the big issue for us though - I think we have now gone 19 games without keeping a clean sheet. That is an appalling statistic! The big worry is MW clearly doesn’t know how to fix the problem with the players he has....
[Post edited 23 Nov 2019 10:01]

The only team in the four divisions not to have kept a clean sheet
Thoughts after yestersay on 22:56 - Nov 23 with 1663 viewsNorthantsHoop

Excellent point think we are doing really well with the resources at Mark Warburton's disposal. He is also doing a great job and we need stick by him as this team is a work in progress. I like the attack minded football we play, the defensive frailties are a major problem but is this any different than our last 4 years in this league. Goalkeeping is a problem, Lumley has not been great this year and Kelly is not good enough either, shame we can't get Smithies back from Cardiff if the finances would allow and he wanted to come back.
Thoughts after yestersay on 06:23 - Nov 24 with 1435 viewsstowmarketrange

Thoughts after yestersay on 22:56 - Nov 23 by NorthantsHoop

Excellent point think we are doing really well with the resources at Mark Warburton's disposal. He is also doing a great job and we need stick by him as this team is a work in progress. I like the attack minded football we play, the defensive frailties are a major problem but is this any different than our last 4 years in this league. Goalkeeping is a problem, Lumley has not been great this year and Kelly is not good enough either, shame we can't get Smithies back from Cardiff if the finances would allow and he wanted to come back.

I’m sure he would be welcomed back by the idiots from Cardiff away who were singing “Smithies,you’re a c@nt.”
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024